• 49 results
redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By redcream

I know there is a thread a while back about this but I can't find it. What games have generic sound design that turning off the sound would not be such a big deal? I find Torchlight to be one of those games but I burned through it after around 3 full bombcast. So any suggestions?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder
Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

All sports games ever.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By neurotic

Borderlands (both of them but 1 more than 2), at least after you've heard a lot of the dialogue and stuff or for when you're just doing side quests. Also, any fighting game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

@Neurotic said:

Borderlands (both of them but 1 more than 2), at least after you've heard a lot of the dialogue and stuff or for when you're just doing side quests.

NooOOOOoooooOOOOoooooooooooooo, Borderlands' music is wonderful though.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zaccheus

I played a lot of XCOM while listening to the Octoberkast. That worked out fine.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bell_End

anything that doesn't require me to listen to the game.

but i usually listen to the bombcast whilst biking to and from work.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By s10129107

Meat Boy

Borderlands

Diablo

Starcraft

Civilization

XCOM

Company of Heroes

Street Fighter 4

Demon Souls

Dark Souls

Fez

Majicka

Burnout / NFS games

Fallout games

Skyrim

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ftomato

I usually play PathPix when listening to podcasts. Available on iOS and Android. Highly recommended.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

@BeachThunder said:

@Neurotic said:

Borderlands (both of them but 1 more than 2), at least after you've heard a lot of the dialogue and stuff or for when you're just doing side quests.

NooOOOOoooooOOOOoooooooooooooo, Borderlands' music is wonderful though.

I've always turned the music in Borderlands off, could never stand it. Too repetitive.

That's definitely one of my favorite podcast games though. Also gathering collectibles in AC3, and working through Forza Horizon races are other good times to listen to podcasts. JRPGs too, since there's always some kind of grind or slow spot to push through.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Teoball

I just played Assassins Creed 3 for 4 hours while listening to the bombcast. Just doing the side stuff like collecting almanac pages, feathers and boxes. Also hunting.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SomeJerk

With a proper soundcard (if PC) and/or speakers/headphones there is no problem listening to bombcasts while playing anything, unless the game has terrible sound design like MW3.

Just wanted to add that, that your audio experience can get a lot better. I'll play games with music and head the footsteps of my enemies, like.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Nux

Any MMO ever.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Most strategy games unless they have excellent music, any Diablo 2 clone (nearly unplayable after a while without something else to listen to alongside). Most every game on any playthrough but the first. I will say the Souls games are extremely atmospheric and relaxing on their lonesome and having a podcast on doesn't work out so great on the first run.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By BBAlpert
Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#16  Edited By Lazyaza

I find the best games to play while listening to the bombcast are rpgs such as Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2. Any game where you don't really need to be hearing the audio or concentrating on it too hard is best.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Otacon

I usually pop in a driving game, burnout paradise used to be my go to bombcast game, though I tend not to play and listen at the same time anymore.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Turn based strategy or something that requires a lot of grinding.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By JasonR86

@RedCream said:

I know there is a thread a while back about this but I can't find it. What games have generic sound design that turning off the sound would not be such a big deal? I find Torchlight to be one of those games but I burned through it after around 3 full bombcast. So any suggestions?

Really any game except ones where you want to focus on the story and it is given through spoken dialogue. I'm doing it now with my re-play through of Okami HD.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Animasta

I usually play Crusader Kings 2 though that's probably not what you're looking for

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Toxeia

"Go to <location> and <kill or gather> <number> of the <creature or item>."

If it's got that kind of objective in it, there you go.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By Nev

I almost always play either WoW, Guild Wars 2, or a Bethesda game. Years back I played some Sims 2 or 3 (along with WoW), as well. I'll also second Borderlands, decent game to just kick back and shoot stuff while listening to the Bombcast.

So yeah, MMOs, and MMO-like games, are my suggestion. Or simulation games. *shrug*

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ravenlight
jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jozzy

Trials is the perfect game for it. You need games that don't require thinking, just muscle memory.

EDIT: At least that's true for a terrible multitasker like me. If I am playing XCOM I am not able to really listen to what the guys are talking about.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By fox01313

Just about any game where sound isn't crucial or necessary. Lately found that Dungeons of Dredmor, Delve Deeper, FTL, Xcom & Guild Wars2 works fine for this.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Justin258

For me, it's generally either Borderlands or a multiplayer shooter. Call of Duty is really good for it, but since I don't currently have any of those games on something that isn't an Xbox, I've been playing CSGO's Arms Race mode.

Also, I've been really thinking hard about delegating Darksiders 2 to "podcast game" territory. It seems like a good enough game to zone out to.

EDIT: Also, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning seems to have a lot of "go to the circle" quests. If you've already beaten it and/or you don't care about the story or dialogue, then that might be a good one.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By TobbRobb

League of Legends has been a constant throughout the last 2+ years, i also podcasted a lot while playing Dark Souls on PC a billion times. Currently I play X-Com. Torchlight 2 and Diablo 2 are also good bets, but i burned out halfway through TL2.

Blackhebrew2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blackhebrew2

Dungeon defenders is perfect for it, horde mode in GOW? , Meat boy is good too.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By DeF

@Neurotic said:

Borderlands (both of them but 1 more than 2), at least after you've heard a lot of the dialogue and stuff or for when you're just doing side quests. Also, any fighting game.

Funny story, I actually listened to my first Bombcast(s) while playing the original Borderlands back in the day.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By flasaltine

Quake Live FFA. The game pretty mindless and the is already in the browser.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By doobie

i often have my speakers so loud when im gaming i would be able to hear the podcast.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Phatmac

I usually listen to it when playing multiplayer games. I listened to this week's bombcast by listening to the bombcast.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By DoctorWelch

Any shooter.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#34  Edited By Soap

I play a fair amount of easy ass games while listening.

Hell I'll even watch quick looks if it's really simple. Fifa is a good example of where sound isn't really needed. (or any sports game for that matter)

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seesic

I tend to listen to it whenever I play a fighting game, and if I'm playing a second playthrough or a fetch quest in Skyrim or Borderlands or really any RPG and don't care to feel immersed. Also any Dynasty Warriors game.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Fallout is great for that!

Isn't there even a Radio Dave mod with the podcast from when the entire server farm to which Giant Bomb belonged to went down?

mao16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mao16

Civilization

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By Pepsiman

@EquitasInvictus: You would be correct! Assuming the links are still active, you should be able to nab the Radio Dave mod for New Vegas at this thread.

Anyway, here's my personal list of Bombcast/general podcast games:

• Dark Souls. This has been my most recent addition to the lineup. Sometimes my concentration has to be much more closely focused on the action since things have a knack for getting hectic in that game, but listening to Jeff Green on the Octoberkast last week while playing this game made for some delightful times.
  • Tokyo Jungle. I love Tokyo Jungle and although the soundtrack can be pretty good, when you're doing two hour-plus runs for high score, equipment, or animal unlocks, there are stretches of that game that can kind of drag when you get good enough to complete what you need to do years ahead of schedule. Having something like the Bombcast on in the background, I've found, is effective for keeping your mind occupied while waiting for your next move.
  • Burnout Paradise. Probably one of the more universally recommendable games since it doesn't often require quite as much concentration. It's a great game for turning on podcasts so the time you're taking while completing objectives goes by that much faster.
  • Geometry Wars/2. For whatever reason, podcasts sometimes get my mind in just the right sort of meditative lull for me to do really well in these games without necessarily trying a whole lot. Naturally, that's less true the more hardcore in mode type you skew, but at least they're pretty screensavers to look at and play while listening to hours and hours of talking.
  • Persona 4 Arena. I tend to only listen to podcasts when I'm just casually training and not doing any serious matches, but since you don't exactly need the sound in that game to review combos or anything, I've found that having podcasts on while playing is usually okay. I've actually gotten surprisingly far doing challenge mode while tuned into a podcast, though, despite how intense the AI gets.
  • Binding of Isaac. Like Geometry Wars, the harder things get, the more difficult it can be to pay attention to the podcast itself at times, but it's another one of those games where having something else to listen to can put you in the right meditative state to make it to the end in my experience.
benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By benspyda

Grinding in any MMO, Borderlands or a racing game that isn't too intense (I'm finding Forza Horizon perfect for this, like previous forza games).

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FierceDeity

Hmm I would think a "Bombcast-friendly" game would have to do with more than just sound design, though. Specifically, I was thinking it would need to be a game that requires.... (not in a derogatory way) not very much thought. For example, trying to play a multiplayer RTS match while listening to the Bombcast would be ridiculous - most people couldn't effectively process both those things at once. Unless you just like the sound of the guys' voices. o.O

owen99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By owen99

usually play fifa while listening to a podcast or if on the go drop7 on iphone. also Strategy games are good games to listen to podcasts whilst playing, played alot of civ and total war listening to bombcast

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TehJedicake

Hehe the guy who said sports game is spot-on, not only are sports games good for the bombcast, I even watch episodes of old tv shows while playing Madden 13.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By laserbolts

Halo and Call of Duty unless you are super serious about it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I never turn the sound in my games off, just down. What a waste of music/effects.

Civilization is my go to but anything that's slow/can be paused is normally a good pick for me.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By apathylad

I've done grindy stuff in MMOs and JRPGs while listening to podcasts.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By Vod_Crack

Any of the Earth Defense Force games are dope.

borkran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By borkran

Sim Golf, dudes!

1momosauky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers