Bugs in games from the perspective of a game tester, Fallout 3

sado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By sado

As many of you know Fallout 3 has already hit shelves and the hype surrounding the game even still is immense. If you take a look a the average review rating for the game you will find that the average rating is staying steady around the 93-94% range. This result from the work on the game is somewhat expected however I find from talking with many friends who own the “next-gen” system that they have absolutely no idea what the game is or what it is about. Coming over a decade after the first release of the game it is expected that many people would have no idea what the game is about. This venture of 'rebooting' a series is not uncommon in many different forms of entertainment. The most prominent sector of the entertainment industry that I can think of that has had reboots of entire an entire series like this has been the comic sector, where it has become common practice when a series becomes either over produced or 'jumped the shark'.

While reboots are not unheard of in the games industry, it is still rather rare. When it has happened it has happened for a good reason, either because the game has some unique value that many other games tend not to offer or due to the amount of the popularity of the game's past or a combination of factors. What has surprised me about this newest reboot is how well the game has been received by Fallout fans. It seems as if the consensus of the fans, reviewers, and newcomers alike is that the reboot was warranted and welcomed. Like with any game however, the game has its faults. If you scan through any review whether it be fan review or critic review you will find the same issues mentioned across all of them. These issues range from things as little as inconsistencies in texturing, collision trigger inconsistencies in sound (shooting wood and making a metal like collision sound), to things as bad as game breaking bugs that cause either a reset or reversion to an older save file.

While they are frustrating to the people experiencing them it seems as if the majority seem to accept them on the basis of the size of the world and quality of the overall experience. It is a valid argument that many people seem to accept as it is very hard to catch every little problem or bug in the game. I have had experience with game testing and I can tell you that it is a fact that one to two million people are much better testers than a 10-100, on average, game testing team. There will always be glaring mistakes in games, all the greatest games have them it's really just a question on whether you can look over them and see the quality that is really there. I am not saying the “bugs are bad” point of view is wrong in the least but you always have to remember when playing any game at all that the people who made the game are real people. These people are just like you and me. They make mistakes, go home to their families every night, and sometimes work multiple jobs to provide for themselves and or their families.

Any person with enough time and effort can poke holes in any piece of entertainment but those people who go about enjoying entertainment like that miss the point. Entertainment is meant to be enjoyed and make you feel like you got your money's worth. If you focus on every flaw in anything in life you cannot truly enjoy yourself with anything. You look at the flaws in everything and then the flaws become the major features of the overall experience luring you down a path of boredom and disappointment. People who test or develop/design games for living will tell you that it is hard to get out of that critical mindset and actually enjoy entertainment in their field. Even John Carmack was quoted as saying “...it is very hard for me to enjoy other first person shooters that I have not made myself because I start seeing things the developer could have done better and then those small errors become giant glaring disappointments” (rough quote). After my testing of games ended I found myself going through the same problems trying to enjoy games because the mindset of a game tester is the ridicule and be critical of errors in a game, which tends to come out of you whether you want it to or not.

I spent a long time trying to get out of that mindset before I could actually get to enjoying games again rather than being so critical about the errors or mistakes. There is the point about the internet giving everyone a voice and turning average people into critics when it comes to entertainment but I find myself recoiling against it because the criticisms that many gamers out there seem to be so caustic or exaggerated. I find myself now agreeing, to a small extent, with Denis Dyack's opinion that we as gamers have become an unruly mob that is ready to cut any game developer's throat at the second their game does not live up to the 'hype train'. There is some truth to the statement that the mob riding the hype train will help you early on but can run you over just as quickly if the product does not live up to the un-Godly amount of hype. There will always be people who slam games on a whim for whatever their reason may be but I hope that the majority changes the way they approach games in the future and remember that nothing is perfect in this world, especially the things we like to consider 'entertainment'.

-

I would love to hear what you think about the issue. Feedback is much appreciated.

sado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sado

As many of you know Fallout 3 has already hit shelves and the hype surrounding the game even still is immense. If you take a look a the average review rating for the game you will find that the average rating is staying steady around the 93-94% range. This result from the work on the game is somewhat expected however I find from talking with many friends who own the “next-gen” system that they have absolutely no idea what the game is or what it is about. Coming over a decade after the first release of the game it is expected that many people would have no idea what the game is about. This venture of 'rebooting' a series is not uncommon in many different forms of entertainment. The most prominent sector of the entertainment industry that I can think of that has had reboots of entire an entire series like this has been the comic sector, where it has become common practice when a series becomes either over produced or 'jumped the shark'.

While reboots are not unheard of in the games industry, it is still rather rare. When it has happened it has happened for a good reason, either because the game has some unique value that many other games tend not to offer or due to the amount of the popularity of the game's past or a combination of factors. What has surprised me about this newest reboot is how well the game has been received by Fallout fans. It seems as if the consensus of the fans, reviewers, and newcomers alike is that the reboot was warranted and welcomed. Like with any game however, the game has its faults. If you scan through any review whether it be fan review or critic review you will find the same issues mentioned across all of them. These issues range from things as little as inconsistencies in texturing, collision trigger inconsistencies in sound (shooting wood and making a metal like collision sound), to things as bad as game breaking bugs that cause either a reset or reversion to an older save file.

While they are frustrating to the people experiencing them it seems as if the majority seem to accept them on the basis of the size of the world and quality of the overall experience. It is a valid argument that many people seem to accept as it is very hard to catch every little problem or bug in the game. I have had experience with game testing and I can tell you that it is a fact that one to two million people are much better testers than a 10-100, on average, game testing team. There will always be glaring mistakes in games, all the greatest games have them it's really just a question on whether you can look over them and see the quality that is really there. I am not saying the “bugs are bad” point of view is wrong in the least but you always have to remember when playing any game at all that the people who made the game are real people. These people are just like you and me. They make mistakes, go home to their families every night, and sometimes work multiple jobs to provide for themselves and or their families.

Any person with enough time and effort can poke holes in any piece of entertainment but those people who go about enjoying entertainment like that miss the point. Entertainment is meant to be enjoyed and make you feel like you got your money's worth. If you focus on every flaw in anything in life you cannot truly enjoy yourself with anything. You look at the flaws in everything and then the flaws become the major features of the overall experience luring you down a path of boredom and disappointment. People who test or develop/design games for living will tell you that it is hard to get out of that critical mindset and actually enjoy entertainment in their field. Even John Carmack was quoted as saying “...it is very hard for me to enjoy other first person shooters that I have not made myself because I start seeing things the developer could have done better and then those small errors become giant glaring disappointments” (rough quote). After my testing of games ended I found myself going through the same problems trying to enjoy games because the mindset of a game tester is the ridicule and be critical of errors in a game, which tends to come out of you whether you want it to or not.

I spent a long time trying to get out of that mindset before I could actually get to enjoying games again rather than being so critical about the errors or mistakes. There is the point about the internet giving everyone a voice and turning average people into critics when it comes to entertainment but I find myself recoiling against it because the criticisms that many gamers out there seem to be so caustic or exaggerated. I find myself now agreeing, to a small extent, with Denis Dyack's opinion that we as gamers have become an unruly mob that is ready to cut any game developer's throat at the second their game does not live up to the 'hype train'. There is some truth to the statement that the mob riding the hype train will help you early on but can run you over just as quickly if the product does not live up to the un-Godly amount of hype. There will always be people who slam games on a whim for whatever their reason may be but I hope that the majority changes the way they approach games in the future and remember that nothing is perfect in this world, especially the things we like to consider 'entertainment'.

-

I would love to hear what you think about the issue. Feedback is much appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

nice post Sado i agree  on most of your points but i believe a distinction must be made between a game that is hyped up the wazoo and doesn't deliver (no game can stand up to such expectations), and one that is hyped but has fundamental problems wiether they are design, control or gameplay, take your Too Human example for, well example with another ridiculously hyped game Halo 2, they both failed to live up to the impossible hype but one still had the fundamentals of a good game in place  where the other has some problems.
So while  we all know that hype is for stupid people with nothing better to do, a developers outcry against the hype machine doesn't excuse sloopy game design.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By CharleyTony

You have a couple of really good points in here and you could also touch a little of the fanboyism that is getting worst everyday.  But as far as bugs go, some are too obvious to get past them. Minor bugs are okay and should be overlooked as a quirk of the game but anything that breaks them game, prevents  you from finishing it or something else like that is unacceptable.
As games become more and more complex, the bugs tend to follow the same pattern. I know that the state of a game that goes gold and ends up on shelves is of the best quality possible for the developper and that they are miles away from what testers get to see in games that are in pre-alpha , alpha or beta stages.
The fact is that if a game ships and makes gamers feel like they are the beta testers themselves, that game will have a hard time justifying its 60$ pirce tag...

The main difference, in my opinion at least, between games of the previous generation of consoles and today's games is the PATCHING FACTOR. Back in the good old days, patching was not an option, that meant that the game shipped as it was and could not be altered or fixed. Not that al this is possible, could it be that some small percentage of gaming creators find less motivation about fixing every other small issue his game could have ?

When you think about people who dont play online or might no even have the internet ( people who probably cant read, or write in forums ) get the worst part of the experience ?

Its cool that the Internet gaming community can give feedback to the creators, yes some criticism is good, too much of it is bad. And yes games should be enjoyed not disected.
You also have to remember that all those consoles are in competition with each other.
And on one console, all the games are in competition with each other.
They compete for my money...

If I could have every game out there, I couldnt even play all of them (think about game reviewers having a hard tim finishing games for their reviews)...
I use game reviews and forum comments to make intelligent purchasing decisions, that's it. And when an older game ends up on sale at the store and the price is low enough that I dont care about a review or comparing it to other games then I just buy it and dont complain.

Final conclusion: Small bugs = okay
                                Big Bugs = NO SALE

sado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sado

Completely agree on the sloppy game design issue, not saying it is not there in games just that most times is over exaggerated.

"I use game reviews and forum comments to make intelligent purchasing decisions, that's it. And when an older game ends up on sale at the store and the price is low enough that I dont care about a review or comparing it to other games then I just buy it and dont complain." Exactly how I see it. The whole meta review sites like meta critic, game rankings, and rotten tomatoes I take with the same grain of salt. I look at it just as an expectation of quality not whether ill enjoy it or not. And game breaking bugs that you mentions are completely unacceptable in any case- ex. eating your save file after 20 hours of play.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By CharleyTony

If people thought about game reviews as they think about movie reviews they might act more sanely...
Nobody ever accused a film critic to be a fanboy for one studio !

Film Critics:
All reviews bad = its a bad movie
All reviews good = its a movie made with great skill and is a work of art, you might like it if you enjoy that genre
Mostly good reviews = okay movie, if you like the genre and the actors, go ahead you'll like it
Mostly bad to average reviews = if you are a complete fan of the actors of the director or genre okay, if not stay away

Half-price movie night = who cares lets go see what's showing !

If you hate something no matter how good it is, you probably wont enjoy it, you might see some artistic merit in it but that doesnt equal fun !

you cant recommend Halo3 / Resistance / COD4 / "insert favorite FPS here" to someone who either hates FPS games or cant play em (possibly my GF LOL)