Calling handhelds "consoles"

TVippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it correct? Always thought that a "console" is, at the minimum, something that can't work on its own.

Handhelds ("Portables", "Portable Systems"), on the other hand (NPI), are fully autonamous.

What is the most basic meaning of the word "console" and does it really apply to portables?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By xanadu

Technically a console is any unit that can be controlled electronically or mechanically. So yes, a handheld is 100% a console.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MezZa

In terms of video game lingo, handhelds are boxes that you hold to use and consoles are boxes that connect to the TV to use. Portable devices works as well for handhelds because arguments could be made to group them with devices like tablets and phones. The Switch is an exception of course because it's a new thing that hasn't really been a major focus before.

That being said if someone said otherwise in casual conversation I wouldn't stop to correct them because it doesn't really matter. Console is also a very generic term and not the exclusive property of the game industry so there will be multiple ways to use it that work.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mezza: replace the word box with console.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

I think of a console as a dedicated machine to play games on, and my Vita does that while being handheld.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figure the accepted terms are "handheld console" and "home console" with the home version implying a connection to a TV.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BrunoTheThird

They're handheld consoles. Consoles . . . that are held in the hands. There is no debate as far as I can see. The components are connected to a TV; a very small one. The PS1 that came with an LCD screen attached is still a console.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WynnDuffy

Handheld console is fine, personally I called the Nomad a brick.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By liquiddragon

I think technically it's correct but I can't remember a time when I called a handheld a console and I personally don't know anyone that does. I'm pretty sure an 18 wheeler is technically a car but ppl call it a truck.

I think we don't call it a console for a reason. It's cause we talk about these things a lot and it makes it easier for ppl to instantly know what you're talking about and what you're not.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By MezZa

@xanadu: Like I said, console is a very very generic term. So yes, that works. However, if you start calling every electronically/mechanically controlled device a console without discrimination because it is technically a console, people are going to think you're speaking a bit out of the norm. Simply because you are. It doesn't make it incorrect, but just not how it is usually phrased conversation. At least where I'm from. Mileage may vary as with any use of English. All handheld are consoles, but not all consoles are handhelds. So we specify handhelds when it applies typically because that narrows it down more.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's a console.

Home console

Handheld console

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

When referring to video games, if you say "console", what you're implying is "home console", as in something plugged into a television. If you say "handheld", what you're implying is "handheld console", as in a small device with everything you need to play games included - screen, buttons, battery, etc.

I don't really include smartphones in "handheld console" because a smartphone's primary purpose is not to play video games. Maybe it is for some, in the same way that someone might use their Vita as their primary e-mail checking and Netflix viewing device, but it's not particularly good at doing either.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

How about those Tiger electronic games that were literally the herpes of the 90's?