• 116 results
zodstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By zodstein

I don't see how Gamespot should get any special recognition for having a Transgender working for them. I think people want equal treatment, not special treatment. They don't get "props" for hiring a white dude who's a poon hound.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Toms115 said:

@Castermhief117 said:

The GB crowd is more mature than the GS crowd in some ways... But that's because GB caters to a different type of audience. By the way, the comments about Jane Douglas on the Star Select videos are pretty bad too...

gonna have to disagree with you on that one, buddy.

Same

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By cookiemonster

What the fuck are you talking about?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By zeforgotten
@YOU_DIED said:

@Toms115 said:

@Castermhief117 said:

The GB crowd is more mature than the GS crowd in some ways... But that's because GB caters to a different type of audience. By the way, the comments about Jane Douglas on the Star Select videos are pretty bad too...

gonna have to disagree with you on that one, buddy.

Same

Yuuuup
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By napalm

How long has she been at GameSpot?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Animasta

why did we bump this this is a dumb topic

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#59  Edited By JasonR86

@SamFo said:

@deathstriker666: Man that became a woman. Works at gamespot

Yeah, I didn't know either. On the one hand I think it's nice that she was hired by Gamestop. On the other I'm sad that this is even a 'thing' to be proud or not proud about. It's sad that hiring her is some sort of an event to be looked at and applauded or questioned or anything else. It's sad that she can't simply be hired just like any other man or woman who gets hired by a company. What I want is a time when any person, regardless of who they are or how they are defined, can't be looked at with the same sense of normalcy as anyone else.

EDIT:

@Animasta:

Totally didn't see this was old. I'm the fucking worst about that. To be fair, I had no idea who this person was so any sense of time was lost on me regarding her hiring in the first place.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Gizmo

@cool8man said:

Only in today's mixed up society does paying doctors thousands of dollars to drastically and permanently change your appearance equate to being yourself. In fact gender reassignment is the height of not accepting who you are. You can't transfer reproductive organs so these changes are largely cosmetic and superficial albeit incredibly dangerous and extremely unhealthy. Why does someone who resorts to surgery and dangerous hormone drugs deserve more credit and support than someone who actually accepts the body they were born with? I think the individual who is capable of finding happiness at a deeper level than what they see in the mirror is the type of person you should really admire. If an individual decides they're unhappy with the race they were born as decides to change their skin color the "progressives" don't cheer them on. When Jamaicans bleach their skin to try to appear white nobody says its a great thing representing "progress". What's the difference, neither person is happy with how they were born. I just feel sorry for these people, they're not going to find true happiness under a knife, there are bigger issues they're not truly dealing with.

This is actually a great post.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Animasta

@Gizmo: it's really not but hey what does science know

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By tourgen

They should get credit for hiring good editors. I'm not going to sugar coat it, Gamespot UK is kicking the USA office's ass. They should be more worried about stepping up their game and less about being progressive or whatever it is you seem to think they deserve credit for. That guy doing the XBLIG shows is/was the only good thing Gamespot USA has going on.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By JasonR86

@Gizmo said:

@cool8man said:

@TruthTellah said:

Only in today's mixed up society does paying doctors thousands of dollars to drastically and permanently change your appearance equate to being yourself. In fact gender reassignment is the height of not accepting who you are. You can't transfer reproductive organs so these changes are largely cosmetic and superficial albeit incredibly dangerous and extremely unhealthy. Why does someone who resorts to surgery and dangerous hormone drugs deserve more credit and support than someone who actually accepts the body they were born with? I think the individual who is capable of finding happiness at a deeper level than what they see in the mirror is the type of person you should really admire. If an individual decides they're unhappy with the race they were born as decides to change their skin color the "progressives" don't cheer them on. When Jamaicans bleach their skin to try to appear white nobody says its a great thing representing "progress". What's the difference, neither person is happy with how they were born. I just feel sorry for these people, they're not going to find true happiness under a knife, there are bigger issues they're not truly dealing with.

How do you define 'great'?

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Gizmo

@JasonR86: Well, I agree with the points he/she is making. What do you think about the post?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Animasta

@Gizmo said:

@JasonR86: Well, I agree with the points he/she is making. What do you think about the post?

well I think that he doesn't know shit about anything regarding transsexuality

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By JasonR86

@Gizmo said:

I agree with some of it but only to a degree. I said in my original comment that I wish that people like Carolyn could be treated with the same sense of normalcy as everyone else. I would hope that when Gamespot decided to hire her they did so because she would be a good editor and writer and not because of her gender reassignment. I think putting any connotation, good or bad, on anyone's decisions that effect only that person is unnecessary and rude. Carolyn and anyone else that decides to define themselves how they wish would hopefully neither be praised and demonized. It was simply a decision that person made and that's that. Their business is their own and not anyone else's to pass judgement on.

That's where I find that post unfortunate. He or she is passing judgement on the nature of her decision and her new life. The reality is that her decision has no effect on any of us here on these forums. Because of this I find making any value judgement on what she has done to be a shitty thing to do.

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By NyxFe
@Animasta said:

@Gizmo said:

well I think that he doesn't know shit about anything regarding transsexuality

As someone who considers themselves transgendered ans has studied/worked in the field of women/gender studies for five years, I'm going to have to go with Animasta's response and agree that the post by cool8man is ignorant at best and incredibly offensive at worst. I'm not one to personally get very uptight about other's views on whether or not my personal gender perception happens to please them, but it certainly comes across as marginalizing what I, and many others, feel to be an incredibly important facet of their personality.  If anything it is a perfect example of the amount of ignorance still surrounding the topic in modern society. 

I won't go into the various nuances of transgender/transsexual culture, but I can certainly say that post is far from "great" if you have ever understood even an iota of what it is like to feel out of place with the very body you are physically stuck in. Or being marginalized for race, or class, or sexual orientation. 

Despite this being a necro I think it is still a fairly relevant issue. Unfortunately I fear it is likely the comments would be no different today if this is when it had happened.  

Edit: apologies to Truthtellah, I was confused by quoting.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Animasta

@NyxFe: it wasn't truthtellah's post he's a cool bro

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By JoeyRavn

@NyxFe: I totally agree with you, but, actually, it was who posted that hateful and ignorant shit. It's a good thing he only has 8 posts and that was his last one. is a good duder.

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By NyxFe
@Animasta said:

@NyxFe: it wasn't truthtellah's post he's a cool bro

@JoeyRavn said:

@NyxFe: I totally agree with you, but, actually, it was @cool8man who posted that hateful and ignorant shit. It's a good thing he only has 8 posts and that was his last one. @TruthTellah is a good duder.

Yeah I got mixed up by the quoting structure in JasonR86's post. Edited to fix. 
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By alternate

Her (Caro's) voice is so fucking annoying, I remember being unable to listen to the old Hotspot when she was on. Shame as she is a decent writer.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@alternate said:

Her (Caro's) voice is so fucking annoying, I remember being unable to listen to the old Hotspot when she was on. Shame as she is a decent writer.

Reminds me of the 90s sitcom The Nanny. Whatever happened to The Hotspot?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TruthTellah

@Gizmo said:

@cool8man said:

@TruthTellah said:

Please edit out the "@Truthtellah said:" or at least "said:" from that, as you removed my comment which cool8man was replying to. Right now, it looks like I said those words, and I can assure you I did not. Thank you.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TruthTellah

@NyxFe: Don't worry about it. The quoting was definitely confusing in Gizmo's post.

Just so you know, he was quoting "cool8man", not me. I had nothing to do with that quote.

@Animasta: @JoeyRavn: Thanks for clearing that up for them! :)

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By alternate

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@alternate said:

Reminds me of the 90s sitcom The Nanny. Whatever happened to The Hotspot?

The guy who used to host/edit it got laid off and I guess nobody else want to step up. I remember towards the end nobody sounded like they were really enjoying it. Brendan (the last but one host) always made it seem like it was a real chore.

As much as I don't really like the new quiz show thing they replaced it with, the ppl on seem like they are having a much better time.

sephirm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@Gizmo said:

I agree with some of it but only to a degree. I said in my original comment that I wish that people like Carolyn could be treated with the same sense of normalcy as everyone else. I would hope that when Gamespot decided to hire her they did so because she would be a good editor and writer and not because of her gender reassignment. I think putting any connotation, good or bad, on anyone's decisions that effect only that person is unnecessary and rude. Carolyn and anyone else that decides to define themselves how they wish would hopefully neither be praised and demonized. It was simply a decision that person made and that's that. Their business is their own and not anyone else's to pass judgement on.

That's where I find that post unfortunate. He or she is passing judgement on the nature of her decision and her new life. The reality is that her decision has no effect on any of us here on these forums. Because of this I find making any value judgement on what she has done to be a shitty thing to do.

I find it slightly dumb whenever anyone weighs in on a subject/ decision that somebody else, made that affects themselves in no way, shape or form. Live and let live.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The only thing I've ever heard about Carolyn Petit is that she's a trans lady who works at Gamespot. This is the totality of my knowledge of this topic.

So obviously I'm going to give my opinion..!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

She was not very funny on Professional Wednesdays, so I hate her.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Why did this get necro'd?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Gaff

The better question is... Why did this get necro'd twice?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@gaff said:

@believer258 said:

Actually, it's been necro'd three times!

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By expensiveham

If you believe that gamespot is progressive for hiring her then you are part of the problem.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff said:

@believer258 said:

See you in six months guys!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By penguindust

@deathstriker666 said:

Who?

This. If you're going to talk about someone don't assume we know who they are or why they're in the news. Remember, this is the internet. Most of us are idiots.

EDIT: I see this is a necro-post. More validation for what I said above. Idiots, the whole lot of us.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy said:

@rollingzeppelin said:

@gaff said:

@believer258 said:

See you in six months guys!

Save the date.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have ZEEERO problems with Carolyn for anything relating to her gender. That's a non-issue compared to the fucking terrible article she wrote about Persona 4, which still makes me angry to think about. Anyone who demeans her because of what parts she has or had in the past needs to shut the fuck up, but I think she's just a bad writer.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did we really need to dig up this conversation yet again?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By toowalrus

I literally didn't know this person existed until today. Where was I a year ago? ...and six months ago? ...and four months ago?

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The very existence of this thread is a problem within itself. True acceptance requires the non-existence of giving a shit/not giving a shit.

I don't actually give a shit.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did we really need to dig up this conversation yet again?

Apparently.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The very existence of this thread is a problem within itself. True acceptance requires the non-existence of giving a shit/not giving a shit.

Purdy much. This thread would not exist if Carolyn had been born a biological lady. I, personally, do not want people to recognize me for what I am. I just want to be a human being like everybody else. It's a fucking frustrating experience when as soon as people learn what I want to do they stop seeing my opinions as being from "that person" and start seeing my opinions as coming from "that weird tranny" like it's suddenly all I am. I can only imagine how much worse it will be once I start.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By JasonR86

@paulwade1984 said:

Purdy much. This thread would not exist if Carolyn had been born a biological lady. I, personally, do not want people to recognize me for what I am. I just want to be a human being like everybody else. It's a fucking frustrating experience when as soon as people learn what I want to do they stop seeing my opinions as being from "that person" and start seeing my opinions as coming from "that weird tranny" like it's suddenly all I am. I can only imagine how much worse it will be once I start.

It consistently amazes me how often we all like to speak about how progressive and advanced we are but people who make decisions that are relatively uncommon scare the living shit out of so many people. It blows my fucking mind. Do whatever you want @artemesia and if anyone gives you trouble I'll be the first to tell those assholes to go fuck themselves.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares? I don't give a shit what Carolyn is: man, woman, Scottish Highland Terrier, whatever. I judge people who write for game sites on whether or not their content is good. Are we going to start patting people on the back for everything in society now?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willin said:

If you really think about, the rest why people hate Gamespot is because of it's userbase, not the actual people who work there.

But the users gave us the <> thing, how can we hate them?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Who cares? I don't give a shit what Carolyn is: man, woman, Scottish Highland Terrier, whatever. I judge people who write for game sites on whether or not their content is good. Are we going to start patting people on the back for everything in society now?

I'd be pretty impressed if a Scottish Terrier started writing for a website...just sayin.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By stonyman65

Does his/her gender really matter? As long said person can do their job, and do it well, they should be hired.

Just to clarify, is this a case of a guy transitioning to a lady, or the otherway around?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By mrfluke

sadly for those people its going to be an uphill battle,

as its SOOOO engrained into everyday culture to downplay and scorn those people for their lifechoices.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does his/her gender really matter? As long said person can do their job, and do it well, they should be hired.

Just to clarify, is this a case of a guy transitioning to a lady, or the otherway around?

Male to female.

It really makes me sick when people make fucking tranny jokes and shit whenever she's on screen. It seems like the most awful people show up in those livestream chats but doubly so when she's on them.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. Taking a more progressive approach to hiring seems totally okay to me. I'm not saying that people should be hired exclusively based on race/gender/etc (that would be silly), but hiring good, qualified writers that are interested in writing content informed by diverse backgrounds should ideally lead to a wider range of editorial perspectives. I haven't read a lot of Carolyn's work, but the little I have is clearly outside of the usual scope of editorial content in games media and I appreciate the fact that Gamespot saw fit to make a voice like her's heard.

I am, however, sorry for participating in the third necro of this thread :(

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

sadly for those people its going to be an uphill battle,

as its SOOOO engrained into everyday culture to downplay and scorn those people for their lifechoices.

I have noticed that pretty much the entirety of the internet is super supportive of these things, but when faced with it in real life they tend to get a bit uncomfortable. I have seen many people I know are quite adept at social situations turn into awkward little otters when they have somebody mid transition in their face. It isn't flat out resentment, it's just an uncertainty of how to deal with something like that. Most people assume the correct course is to walk on eggshells(and I can't really blame them because many of the people I've met that are going through it are fucking bitches about it) but for me, I'd really rather I just be another one of the duders. I am not special for what I want. I am not unique for what I want. I am just me. If that makes people dislike me, then they are jerks.