changes- or: how a bomb got it's fuse back.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

that title isn't meant to imply the boys had lost their spark (sorry)- just a thinly veiled reference to this meisterwerk.

if the internet would be so kind as to pardon my positivity for just 5 minutes- i want to take a brief moment to express how thrilled i am at the site's recent developments, and to recognize all the hard work it took to get there. this might have been better suited as an email or PM, but i thought it might be worthwhile to allow those of a similar mind to chime in.

finally, giantbomb- all of your labours are bearing fruit. and this is precisely the sort of cookie trap i RELISH. game respect game.

i first came on-board towards the end of the whiskey-media era...late 2011. and while countless would surely refer to this time as a golden age- i think we're on the verge of new greatness. i don't need to remind the userbase of the trials the crew has faced since that time- and that turmoil has exacted a cost. BUT- and i'm speaking to you now, giantbomb staff- you've emerged seasoned, hardened, perhaps admittedly world-wearier- but irrefutably resolute.

we now have an embarrassment of content to enjoy each week- the bomb has expanded into TWO new cities, and perhaps most importantly, we have the boys taking on new roles and succeeding with aplomb- to name a few examples:

-brad- you've stepped up huge in hosting the 'cast. it doesn't go unnoticed, and while you could never replace those colourful new balances- you're doing right by the big man.

-drew- everyone always wanted more drew, and it's heartwarming to have your presence felt in all corners of the site now. since we're going into space this year, i hope that means we'll be seeing even more of you.

-patick, vinny, and alex- you're expanding the bomb in ways that show huge potential, and it takes a certain brand of courage to try these untested ideas. it's early still, but between an established morning show and unique content coming from giantbomb east- it's safe to presume glory is just around the corner.

-jeff- how you've managed to steer this madness for this long is unfathomable. but you've kept it alive and thriving. that's no small feat, and your leadership is a quality that often goes unrecognized. NOT TODAY.

-rorie- you're the first one in and the last one out when it comes to putting out the forum fires and addressing userbase concerns. thank you for fighting the good fight- and thank you for wading through that muck so the rest of us don't have to. you literally make this site a better, happier place on a daily basis, and it wouldn't have felt right without you returning to the fold when you did.

-and to the new guys- dan and jason: the highest compliment i can pay in this specific circumstance- you make it look like you've been with the crew since the beginning. tune out the nonsensical noise, and keep doing what you're doing. you've already enriched the site in a very brief period of time, so i'm sincerely excited to see what you're up to once you're fully acclimated.

i think we, collectively as a cyber-society, are so used to the internet's propensity towards negatively-charged feedback that we overlook the merit of positive encouragement. so although i know the boys don't need it- i think y'all are on killing it. thanks.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Patrick deserves a bullet point to himself, but beyond that it's warm fuzzies all round.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Maajin

I'm loving all of it too. But you all know this is all building up to Jeff leaving Giant Bomb and gaming journalism for good, right? It sadly makes so much sense. =[

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, another little sister gets married tomorrow and now I read this. The Universe really wants to see some bittersweet memory tears.

While I can't condone your non-capitalization and syntax, ditto just what you said. The Web needs more people who can be realistically positive, people who aren't "Best Thing Evers" or "Worst Thing Evers."

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldnt agree more! I was a bit worried when gb east started up, and still miss vinny, alex and patrick on the bombcast.

But content like scoops' worth playing/reading and more recently, the Velvet Sundown quicklook have definitely assured me that these duders are only getting better.

They're going to space.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@maajin: If Jeff wants to achieve his full potential as a Pog Champion, he has to drop the controller and pick up a slammer.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

@maajin said:

I'm loving all of it too. But you all know this is all building up to Jeff leaving Giant Bomb and gaming journalism for good, right? It sadly makes so much sense. =[

Like Casey Hudson leaving Bioware because he's accomplished everything he set out to do? While the company has a strong foundation for the future? Oh god, it does make sense.

I will say, though. Giant Bomb is in an amazing place right now.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

I agree with everything you said. Long live the Bomb.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@maajin said:

If Jeff wanted to leave games, he would leave games. I think he's clearly stepping back a bit, not to ready his departure, but because he was devoting an unhealthy amount of attention to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yep. Enjoying the Giant Bomb renaissance.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Definitely agree. I'd venture to say it's as good here now as it's ever been with a few minor exceptions. It would be cool to still have Vinny with the main group but that said they haven't skipped a step with the addition of the new guys and the GBeast stuff has been great. The site's been awesome. Only thing that's missing is Ryan.

I should also point out by 'minor exceptions' I'm obviously not referring to Ryan. Just in case.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bribo said:

Patrick deserves a bullet point to himself, but beyond that it's warm fuzzies all round.

totally. dude was the one pumping out content while the san fran crew was figuring stuff out.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@maajin said:

I guess it does to you? To me it seems he's recommitting to it.

Now that Dan's here to help pump out content, I think he's taking this opportunity to do some behind the scenes Boss mode stuff he probably hasn't been able to do for awhile and I'm sure needs to be done. Part of being a good boss is delegating properly and putting your people under you in positions to excel. Jeff is pretty dang good at that, putting Brad in charge of the podcast was a stroke of genius and letting Dan get a lot of airtime is helping him get established quickly. Not everybody can set aside their own personal ego like that to share the spotlight with others, but Jeff seems to be able to do that quite well.

Maybe you are right that he is greasing the wheels for an exit, but listening to the way he talks about this stuff and their plans for the future I don't feel like that's what's he's doing at all.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can a mod please edit that apostrophe out of the title? It's killingme.

And yeah, the site's great lately. If only someone put out a fighting game simulation so we could get Jason introduced to Quick Looks the same way Drew was.

StoutLager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old jalopy just needed a flush and a fresh infusion of fluids, is all.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Evilsbane

I mean for me it never stopped being good, they just had life come by and tear a piece of their soul away and had to get their sea legs again.

And fucking hell do I love Gbeast Vinny+Alex are Amazing. And the Left fielder Dan+Drew combo came out of Nowhere this week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@evilsbane: Indeed. D and D rolling 20s all week long.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By excast

@maajin said:

A part of me does kind of see that happening down the line rather soon.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@excast said:

@maajin said:

I don't know why you'd say that considering Jeff's twitter quote is "I have been writing about video games for my entire adult life. It would be insane to stop now."

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@excast said:

@maajin said:

I don't know why you'd say that considering Jeff's twitter quote is "I have been writing about video games for my entire adult life. It would be insane to stop now."

Exactly. He wrote something on his tumblr a while ago, answering a question about what would he do if he ever left games journalism, and he basically said fuck man, I don't know!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phoenixdownpillow: gross.

This thread gives me the warm fuzzies though; as if we could ever doubt the crew's abilities! Jeff seems fucking invigorated and pumped now and it's so good to see. Dan brings just the right amount* of insanity and goofiness to give the site the energetic push it needs. I've always held brad as a personal fave so having him as the point man is just terrific. Drew has truly freaking blossomed in the past year as well. Combined with the hardworking Scoops in chi-town and Vinny and Alex bringing the craziness in the east, it's a good time to be a duder. Just hoping we see more of Jason on camera if possible; he seems like a cool dude and i can tell from what ive seen of him that he fits in nicely.

*heaping bushelfulls

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Giant Bomb continues to get better. <>

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't 100% agree with everything said. But if people are enjoying it then who am i to shit in their sandwich!