[Chrome Extension] GBx - Add individual videos to your watchlist, light theme, and more...

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By TheAdmin

Hey desktop users, GBx is a chrome (and Brave) extension with the following features:

• Individual videos can now be added to your "My Watchlist" page
  • The light theme can now be enabled
  • A lightly updated homepage layout with user customization
    • Reorder, enable, or disable the different sections
    • New "Recently played" section shows the games that the staff have most recently been playing
    • This Day in Giant Bomb History is now sorted in chronological order

Link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gbx/gaokookknjnmknngccmageaapfmahlei

Screenshots:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I hope you enjoy using it. Let me know if there are any additional features you'd like to see or if you run into any issues. Thanks for checking it out!

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

This looks great! I love the "recently played" section — are you just capturing the video associations from the API to populate that?

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: Yep. I get the last few weeks of videos, excluding podcasts, "best of", etc. Then I take the associations from those and count how many times they appear and sort by that first. Then I take that list and order it by number of staff who are playing it, with most first. You should totally put it into your app too :)

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@theadmin: Haha, yeah I was gonna say, definitely putting this on my To-Do list.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@theadmin said:

• This Day in Giant Bomb History is now sorted in chronological order

do i have permission to kiss you

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

They said it couldn't be done, they said a light theme would never be seen on Giant Bomb again.. I mean I don't personally use it but great news for people that do.

This all looks really great. Community members putting in some serious work on this site lately!

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: haha sure. I hope you enjoy using it. And to everyone, let me know if there are more features you’d like to see.

VVarbler89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can you make the UI intuitive enough and air tight to the point that video data isn't artificially gated to 3rd party aggregate? The end result would be subjective but in theory feasible.

JerKnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can Chrome extensions be used with firefox?

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheAdmin

Can you make the UI intuitive enough and air tight to the point that video data isn't artificially gated to 3rd party aggregate? The end result would be subjective but in theory feasible.

I'm not sure I understand the request.

@jerknuts said:

Can Chrome extensions be used with firefox?

I don't think they can, but if enough FF users would like to use these features I could look into build a Firefox version.

VVarbler89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theadmin: sorry. In gaming when you gate progress, it is like spending money, but you can't keep track of it and you don't know where it goes. Thankfully button mashing has never bankrupted someone, but extensions like this have some queer idea of where your money is going. It's kind of like talking to a doctor. You insinuate a need, but instead of directly addressing you, the request is filtered through channel after channel of whoop-dee-woos and what you're left with is not what you set out for. In a perfect world, we would get the content, no fuss, no muss. I'm just saying, if I download this thing, will I have some control over what turns into fodder for google, or does premium content rule that possibility out somehow?

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you've noticed a little bug with the "recently played" section - that should now be fixed. As always, let me know if you'd like to see any new features. thanks for downloading!

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrainScratch

The light version was already good enough reason to install this extension. It looks even better than I expected and I can finally read text on this website without my eyes starting to hurt in a few minutes, thank you so much!

The other features are great too, the "This Day in Giant Bomb History" not being in chronological order before was one of my small pet peeves and now it's fixed. Adding individual videos to the watch list makes much more sense than adding entire shows, and the front page looks much better now!

I'm not figuring out how to customize the home page and I can't find the "recently played" games though. Is it a bug or am I missing something super obvious?

Either way, I already love the extension.

edit: I have a suggestion, but don't know if it's possible - change the color of the links to the dark red the site had before the redesign, instead of this weird "halloween pumpkin orange" they have now.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheAdmin

@brainscratch: If you click on the GBx icon in chrome it will open the settings panel. That will allow you to turn on/off different sections on the homepage. You can also drag and drop different sections from there to change the order. Let me know if you have any issues.

settings:

No Caption Provided

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@theadmin: Also throwing in for a Firefox version if there is enough demand. it's my main browser and I've recently 100% left Chrome behind, so to be able to use this with FF as well would be amazing.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theadmin: My settings panel is showing empty:

No Caption Provided

I'm using Chrome 84.0.4147.10 on a Macbook Pro

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brainscratch: Well, that's not supposed to happen. I shot you a PM so we can figure out what's wrong.

Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheAdmin

@brainscratch: @khemitude: The issue has been fixed and an update is in pending review. I'll post here when it's published. Sorry for the bug!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

White theme, yes please!.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brainscratch: @khemitude: Update 1.0.6 is now published and should fix the bug. Let me know if you're able to see the homepage menu now. Sorry for the inconvenience.