End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

What’s a “Metacritic”?

Over the past couple of years, Metacritic and the scores it hands out to today’s games have become very important to us as an audience, and like anything that gains a little traction, the website has since become a lightning rod for controversy both within and outside of the industry. 

Some say the website is a blessing and that the simplified verdicts it hands out serve to cut through the crap of the review scene. Some say it’s a curse, that it generalizes without transparency, that its system is fundamentally flawed. Still others know relatively little about it, hearing the many voices of dissent as more of a distant thrum. Up until recently, I belonged to that third group; though I knew of Metacriticand its controversies, I hadn’t done much by way of actually educating myself on the subject. A couple of days ago I set out with the intent to correct that little problem and recorded what I found. For anyone interested, here it is. 

Reviews? Who Needs Reviews?

Reviews are a writer’s expert opinion on game X after they have spent enough time with it to feel confident about their conclusions. Review scores are that little number (or letter, or other symbolic measurement icon) floating next to a game’s review on any given website or in any given magazine, and the system that governs these little numbers is referred to as the numbered review system. Now despite their size, these little digits and symbols are remarkably important and have caused a slew of heated debates throughout our industry’s history with developers, publishers and critics alike all voicing their discontent with the system at some point or other. In fact, some publications are so fed up with the idea that they’ve thrown the system out entirely, opting to try to coerce their readers into actually reading their reviews by not offering a “one sentence sum-up.” 

Developers have sunk or swam by this murky science for years and reviewers have come into conflict or lost their jobs all because of a single digit number at the bottom of a page. Now, if you’re already thinking that this system could use some fool-proofing (though some would suggest the scorched earth approach), you’re probably right. What it doesn’t need is another entirely superfluous and equally flawed system heaped on top of it, right?

Enter Metacritic. 

Big, Broken Tent

To the average person, Metacritic gives the appearance of being an all-inclusive think tank, a repository for every review out there. But this average person might also suspect pulling in every review from the edge of eternity for every game under the sun to be an impossible task, with the latter impression being closer to the truth. Metacritic does not compile scores from every publication, or even close to every publication. Instead, Metacritic claims to pull only the best reviews from the most respected reviewers at the most prestigious publications via an undisclosed algorithm formulated in-house. So just to clarify, who exactly determines the people and places that belong to the aforementioned and flattering adjectives?

Well, Metacritic does. Oh, and they’re not saying how. 

Not only does Metacritic pick and choose which scores to pull, but if it sees a review without any kind of scoring mechanic attached to it, it will attach its own score and pull that review anyway. At the face of it that might not seem like such a bad thing, but when considering the site’s growing influence within the industry and its complete lack of transparency in operation, its terrifying. Metacritic has set itself up in such a way that it can, at any time, directly influence a game’s review score simply by pulling a review that does not conform to the numbered system and assigning one to it anyway. Coming from a website preaching ethics that claims to provide a service to which integrity is invaluable, doesn’t that seem like a rather large loophole? 

The bottom line is that no one but the men and women behind the curtain really know where Metacritic’s loyalties lie, and at this point they are quickly becoming one of the most influential sources of information in a fifty-billion dollar (and growing) industry. So the question is, why isn’t anyone checking up on them? 

I Like Where This is Going…

I mentioned earlier that Metacritic is becoming increasingly important to us as an audience, but it’s also making waves on the inside: according to May’s issue of GamePro, some companies are now including Metacritic clauses in their hiring contracts, which state lovely things like: “Metacritic scores must be over eighty-five for titles X through Y.” I probably don’t have to tell you that that statement (quoted from an unnamed publisher) coupled with what we now know about Metacritic spells "shitstorm" if said site’s rampant monopolizing of the review industry is allowed to continue. Not only is it currently leaving its visitors’ opinions misinformed, it’s now poised to force the people on the other end of the games to play to its tune too (or suffer the consequences). 

In any situation, many voices are better than one voice. The numbered review system, as it exists now, is flawed but serviceable. Metacritic is dangerous because it threatens to overburden that system with its own (again, superfluous) weight and silence the many voices of reviews in favor of just one: its own.

Thanks for reading,
End_Boss.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

What’s a “Metacritic”?

Over the past couple of years, Metacritic and the scores it hands out to today’s games have become very important to us as an audience, and like anything that gains a little traction, the website has since become a lightning rod for controversy both within and outside of the industry. 

Some say the website is a blessing and that the simplified verdicts it hands out serve to cut through the crap of the review scene. Some say it’s a curse, that it generalizes without transparency, that its system is fundamentally flawed. Still others know relatively little about it, hearing the many voices of dissent as more of a distant thrum. Up until recently, I belonged to that third group; though I knew of Metacriticand its controversies, I hadn’t done much by way of actually educating myself on the subject. A couple of days ago I set out with the intent to correct that little problem and recorded what I found. For anyone interested, here it is. 

Reviews? Who Needs Reviews?

Reviews are a writer’s expert opinion on game X after they have spent enough time with it to feel confident about their conclusions. Review scores are that little number (or letter, or other symbolic measurement icon) floating next to a game’s review on any given website or in any given magazine, and the system that governs these little numbers is referred to as the numbered review system. Now despite their size, these little digits and symbols are remarkably important and have caused a slew of heated debates throughout our industry’s history with developers, publishers and critics alike all voicing their discontent with the system at some point or other. In fact, some publications are so fed up with the idea that they’ve thrown the system out entirely, opting to try to coerce their readers into actually reading their reviews by not offering a “one sentence sum-up.” 

Developers have sunk or swam by this murky science for years and reviewers have come into conflict or lost their jobs all because of a single digit number at the bottom of a page. Now, if you’re already thinking that this system could use some fool-proofing (though some would suggest the scorched earth approach), you’re probably right. What it doesn’t need is another entirely superfluous and equally flawed system heaped on top of it, right?

Enter Metacritic. 

Big, Broken Tent

To the average person, Metacritic gives the appearance of being an all-inclusive think tank, a repository for every review out there. But this average person might also suspect pulling in every review from the edge of eternity for every game under the sun to be an impossible task, with the latter impression being closer to the truth. Metacritic does not compile scores from every publication, or even close to every publication. Instead, Metacritic claims to pull only the best reviews from the most respected reviewers at the most prestigious publications via an undisclosed algorithm formulated in-house. So just to clarify, who exactly determines the people and places that belong to the aforementioned and flattering adjectives?

Well, Metacritic does. Oh, and they’re not saying how. 

Not only does Metacritic pick and choose which scores to pull, but if it sees a review without any kind of scoring mechanic attached to it, it will attach its own score and pull that review anyway. At the face of it that might not seem like such a bad thing, but when considering the site’s growing influence within the industry and its complete lack of transparency in operation, its terrifying. Metacritic has set itself up in such a way that it can, at any time, directly influence a game’s review score simply by pulling a review that does not conform to the numbered system and assigning one to it anyway. Coming from a website preaching ethics that claims to provide a service to which integrity is invaluable, doesn’t that seem like a rather large loophole? 

The bottom line is that no one but the men and women behind the curtain really know where Metacritic’s loyalties lie, and at this point they are quickly becoming one of the most influential sources of information in a fifty-billion dollar (and growing) industry. So the question is, why isn’t anyone checking up on them? 

I Like Where This is Going…

I mentioned earlier that Metacritic is becoming increasingly important to us as an audience, but it’s also making waves on the inside: according to May’s issue of GamePro, some companies are now including Metacritic clauses in their hiring contracts, which state lovely things like: “Metacritic scores must be over eighty-five for titles X through Y.” I probably don’t have to tell you that that statement (quoted from an unnamed publisher) coupled with what we now know about Metacritic spells "shitstorm" if said site’s rampant monopolizing of the review industry is allowed to continue. Not only is it currently leaving its visitors’ opinions misinformed, it’s now poised to force the people on the other end of the games to play to its tune too (or suffer the consequences). 

In any situation, many voices are better than one voice. The numbered review system, as it exists now, is flawed but serviceable. Metacritic is dangerous because it threatens to overburden that system with its own (again, superfluous) weight and silence the many voices of reviews in favor of just one: its own.

Thanks for reading,
End_Boss.

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Andheez

I think most READERS understand Meta-Critic for what it is.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By apathylad

I appreciate review scores, and personally I think the average consumer would benefit more from a review score than if reviews did not feature them. The world revolves around scores, whether it be movies, video games, or even our school system. Everything is a numbers game.

The reason I feel review scores help consumers is that not everyone has the time to read several paragraphs from numerous sources to decide whether or not a game is for them, and for that, I believe that sites like metacritic.com has it uses. However, scores do not translate well in metacritic, and because of that I feel rottentomatoes has a better approach to the way they scale films. So, while metacritic may help determine what games are universally loved,  a game with mixed reviews is not automatically bad. Having a site that compiles the reviews would help the consumer get a better sense of what he or she is getting into.

Finally, just because a game receives a high score on metacritic does not mean the game will appeal to me. It's also important for readers to recognize that.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I think I had this discussion a while ago, but I don't like review scores.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ryanwho

The defense most metacritic Luddites use is "they haven't steered me wrong yet" and the logic there is they're only buying games that score 9 or better. Except you're also not even trying games x, y, and z specifically because of their meta average. Generally speaking, more divisive games(as in games that wouldn't score as well) are geared towards more specific audiences. So really, if you're looking at metacritic you're missing out on a lot of niche games and only scooping out what has the widest mainstream appeal and largest advertising budget. So you're basically a casual gamer. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By spacetrucking

Metacritic-related contract clauses are stupid. Publishers should be judging success by sales. Denying bonuses based on what a collection of random blogger say is just wrong. Every reviewer in the world would (probably) agree that they should no say in how much a developer should be paid. Not to mention, gaming reviews hold less value now than ever before. Unlike the old days of magazines and the monolithic GameSpot, reviewers are no longer gaming's gatekeepers. Games are incredibly varied now and cater to so many different tastes that no one has the final authority about the quality of a product. And like everything else, neither does metacritic and publishers should stop using it as one.

Having said that, I don't want metacritic to go away. I use it fairly regularly, along with reviews. Sometimes niche games don't get reviews on my followed sites and I've go to other places to find out more about a game. That's where metacritic comes in and directs me directly to the sites that liked the game. I get to know why or what they liked and it helps me in my buying decision. It's a valuable tool for the consumer that's being horribly misused by the industry.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Metaphorically think of it as a compass, it points the score in a more accurate direction. You get a general idea how good a game is or not where all these highs and low scores are like waves in the ocean. I depend on it because I don't trust any individual sites, statistically it gives me a general idea.   

Of course i'll probally get a million replies why i'm wrong, i'm used to it, I stand by metacritic and gamerankings forever.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By belaraphon

the only real game reviews i trust are my own, when i finally play the game.  metacritic, like all review sites, should be taken more light-hearted.  high scores are always good to see for our favorite games but really they are there to confirm or contest our own personal bias. this, paired with the misconception of a 100 point scale and reviewer bias (gasp!), i feel causes most of the uproar towards review sites. 

@HitmanAgent47 - i support your ideas and would like to subscribe to a newsletter.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By RedSox8933

Fact: People are lazy. Most of them don't want to read long reviews. Scores are perfect for these kinds of people. 

I don't use Metacritic for the score, but to have a place to easily go to reviews for specific games. If I want to read IGN's review for Deadly Premonition, I'm not going to go to their website and go through 5 different pages. I'm going to go to Metacritic, find IGN, and hit a button.

DawnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By DawnB

You hit a lot of the nails on the head for someone out side the industry.  The developer/publisher clauses is a very big deal in the industry, and it extends to more than that.  Marketing & PR teams in general have the final metacritic score often as an indicator of their 'value' to the company.  Additionally, when Metacritic makes up a score they often get it deadwrong.  For God of War III they recently assigned a 100 score to a review that started out with the line "God of War III is far from perfect..." 

originalgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By originalgman

All the commentators so far make good points. As someone who uses GameRankings.com regularly, I personally don't want to see the aggregate review sites go away, nor do I think they need to be "kept in check" or have any kind of regulatory actions taken against them. When you start to influence review scores like that, you get the Kane & Lynch Gamespot fiasco that caused this site to happen. 

It's sad that these sites are becoming the final word on every new release and the sole factor in a fast majority of gamers' purchases. Personally, the only thing GameRankings has done is caused me to buy more games than I normally would. When I see a game score a 90 or above that I otherwise wouldn't be interested in, I have to wonder what everyone sees in this thing and concede that maybe I just need to give it another chance. Usually, this causes me to find a game I'm glad I didn't pass up. 

But I've been a gamer forever, and I know what I like. So I still bought Infinite Undiscovery and enjoyed it, despite it's 68% rating on GameRankings (which I only saw after beating the game). Did I care? No, I can completely understand why most people saw an underwhelming and stereotypical action-RPG. Gamers need to use these sites for what they are: a quick way to confirm or deny your preconceptions about a game, plus easy access to many different individual reviews. As an alternative, should gamers be buying a game based on a glitzy trailer and a single magazine review, only to find out it wasn't what they were expecting? That's what we had in the past, and obviously it wasn't working if this is where we are.

The biggest problem in games journalism isn't aggregate sites, but the numbers themselves. Look at RottenTomatoes.com, there are movies regulary scoring in the teens, with 50-60 being around average. Anything above a 90 is fucking rare. Now look at Metacritic and Gamerankings. All 80s, with the occasional 40 or 50 for shovelware. Are movies really so bad that people should be playing Mean Girls DS instead of seeing Clash of the Titans? More reviewers need to remember that the scale isn't 5 to 10. And so do gamers. If publishers are really starting to look at Metacritic as a payscale, then the problem doesn't lie with the websites or the developers, it lies with us. If you review games, be honest. And if you play them, give that weird RPG a chance. Fun can't be summed up in two digits.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By arkasai

All I use Metacritic for is to read the abysmal reviews, quite entertaining really.

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spike94

Good read. Never really payed much attention to MetaCritic, so I suppose I'd be the third one too. After reading this, I understand just how influential it is and how dangerous and potentially dangerous it is and could become.

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By deadly_polo

Metacritic does not work since in many journalistic outlets now there is not a numerical percentage score given to games during reviews. A 5* rating from Giant Bomb is NOT 100%, and on the same scale a 1* rating is not 20% (though in the case of Tony Hawk Ride 20% is being kind). And anyway Just Dance has a 47% rating on Metacritic and it is currently UK No. 1, so there is little major consumer actions taken towards these ratings.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yinstarrunner

Take it away, Sess. Take it away.
takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By takua108

The thing I hate about Metacritic is how they interpret review scores on a 100-point scale. Like, who are you to say that this Giant Bomb four-star review warrants an 86? I guess they read the review and try and get what number seems to fit the review the best, but on a 100-point scale, that is completely arbitrary. 

I think it should use one of the following: 

• Giant Bomb five-star system ("extremely good," "pretty good," "alright," "flawed," "poor," essentially)
  • Roger Ebert's quick-review "thumbs system" (two thumbs up, one thumb up, one thumb down, two thumbs down)
  • RottenTomatoes' "fresh or rotten" system (liked it or didn't)

Getting a number out of a text review is just silly.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm
@End_Boss: MetaCritic should be abolished, and they have obviously shady practices for determining and translating scores that can influence the output score. It's a fucked system, and whenever anybody quotes MetaCritic as an example of something positive or in one direction, I tell them to go eat shit for putting faith in a broken system.
Swick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Swick

Nicely done.

MarcDoyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MarcDoyle

Hey End_Boss,

I wanted to chime in to clarify a few things about our processes at Metacritic. Thanks for starting the conversation.  I was one of the founders of the site, and I've been the games editor from the start in January of 2001. I've selected all of the publications we've ever tracked on Metacritic, and if there is any degree of skepticism about Metacritic's process or our integrity, that lands on me, and I do my best to answer every email about our methods. Nobody at my parent company (we merged with CNET - now CBS Interactive in 2005) has ever asked me to add or remove a publication, or to change a publication's weighting. I take my job extremely seriously.

Metacritic is a site for the consumer - a tool to help you decide what game to buy, rent, or download, and a way for users to chime in about their own experiences with their games. Generally, if one game has a 90 Metascore and another a 70, it's an indication that the body of gaming critics thinks the first is the better game. You're correct that the gaming industry has embraced Metascores as a gauge of quality, but I have absolutely nothing to do with how publishers integrate our numbers into their contracts with developers, PR teams, etc. Again, Metacritic's mission is to help the consumer buy better games and avoid bad ones. And obviously some critics might have a different understanding about what an "80" means, and what 4-stars means, and some critics are tougher graders than others, but if I properly vet the critics I cover and they are consistent in the applications of their own scales, and they review a threshold number of games that are released each month, those publications have a "fair" impact on the Metascores,  and there is integrity in the ultimate Metascore as an indicator of quality. (We could have a much longer discussion on this point.)

We cover approximately 150 game review publications.  I've estimated that there are about 1,200 publications that regularly review games, so we're covering a relatively small slice of the whole. Choosing which publications to track is one of the most important elements of my job, and I spend a great deal of time reading reviews, questioning new sites about their processes, and re-evaluating the sites that I currently track in order to highlight reviews from the highest quality critics. Once we decide to pick up a publication, we track EVERY review it publishes, so long as we have a page for those reviews on Metacritic. So we are not picking and choosing reviews to post.  If IGN posts 15 reviews on a given day, all 15 of those reviews will be found on Metacritic within a reasonable period of time.  And yes, we do weight our individual publications based on how much they are respected in the gaming community, the strength of their writing and analysis, and their scoring integrity. Most of the same factors I employ in judging whether to cover a publication are used in establishing how much weight to assign that publication. Furthermore, if a publication scores its review, I have no discretion to change that score.  If GameSpot posts a 7.5, it shows up on Metacritic as 75. If GiantBomb posts a 4-star review, it goes up as 80 (straight mathematical conversion), and if GameRevolution posts a "C", it converts to 50.  Now you may disagree with the conversion of a "C" to 50 instead of 75, but we are consistent in our conversions.  Much is made about the fact that we reserve the right to assign as score to a review when it is unscored. We do this in other sections of Metacritic (Music, Movies, TV), but not in games. Every publication I currently track scores its own reviews. (For a year or two, I covered The New York Times and Variety in the games section, but even though they didn't publish scores on their reviews, I received scores directly from the critics, which I posted on our site. So there was no need for me to estimate their scores.)

Should scores from certain critics be weighted more than others?  Should the opinion of a skilled 20 year veteran of game criticism at a highly respected gaming magazine be worth more than a critic with less experience from which to draw his or her opinions?  We think so.  It's a perfectly valid opinion that all opinions should be worth the same, and there are many other aggregators out there who provide this type of service.  Again, we feel ours is the best method in offering our users the most sound advice about what games to play.

Best,

Marc Doyle
metacritic.com

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Tireyo

Uh, wow. What an interesting response from Mark Doyle.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By End_Boss
@MarcDoyle: Thank you for your response. While I have little doubt that Metacritic sets out with the best of intentions, I'm still unsure whether or not it can be trusted. What is this "undisclosed algorithm" and why is it undisclosed? I'm sure the initial concern might be other aggregate sites poaching your formula, but I feel like showing a little more transparency might go a long way to reassure those of us who still hold doubt.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By buzz_clik
Oooh, End_Boss' excellently formed blog post gets a decently levelheaded response! Interesting.

@MarcDoyle said:
"  ...if GameRevolution posts a "C", it converts to 50.  Now you may disagree with the conversion of a "C" to 50 instead of 75, but we are consistent in our conversions. "
It's fine to be consistent, but say a game only had a single review, and that was from GameRevolution. Yes, I know it's unlikely, but go with me. If that game got a C, it'd only get a Metacritic score of 50 instead of 75. It's better when a game has plenty of reviews and that kind of score is folded into the mix, but in the (improbable) example I gave that's kind of undermining the game's quality, isn't it? I know that people should probably read a full review before purchasing this hypothetical game, but when Metacritic seems be pushing the score aspect with the numerals writ large at the top of the page, it may not pan out that way in a lot of cases. It could be seen as especially galling when a score of 50 is deemed to be receiving 'mixed or average reviews' whereas a 75 is 'favorable'.

On another more positive note, working in film and cinema advertising I actually find Metacritic very useful - it's the perfect hub for garnering review quotes for any ad I'm creating. So a tip of the hat on that front.

Oh, and welcome to GB. You should totally visit this thread.
MarcDoyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MarcDoyle
@End_Boss: 

It's a fair criticism, and you're entitled to your opinion, but I've never called it an "undisclosed algorithm," which makes the process more sound more convoluted than it is. Metascores are a weighted average of individual reviews, and we simply don't disclose the individual  weightings. As you suggest, they are proprietary, and they are our work product derived from hundreds of hours spent researching and evaluating the publications we cover.  There is no doubt in my mind, however, that the public would be unsurprised by the weights I've assigned to the individual publications so long as they regularly read a good cross-section reviews from the gaming press - which is no easy task. Believe me.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By End_Boss
@MarcDoyle: Perhaps we'd be surprised, perhaps we wouldn't. Unfortunately, as long as that algorithm (or whichever term you'd like to affix to it) remains private, us skeptics go nowhere. Still, I appreciate the courage it took to respond to my post. God knows internet forums aren't always the most hospitable of places. So thank you, again, for trying to shed a little light on the subject.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Snail

I just want to be the asshole in this thread and go:

Oh look, it's this thread again.

MarcDoyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MarcDoyle
@buzz_clik: 

Yes, our A - F conversion scale is probably the most controversial aspect of our scoring. Very few sites I cover use that scale (1up, GameRevo, GameShark, etc.), but I want to give a full-throated response which will take more time than I have tonight. I'm very confident that using the Zero - 100 scale (F = Zero, D = 25, C = 50, B = 75, A = 100) is the better and more principled system than applying the American School scale (F = 58, D = 60s, C = 70s, etc.) in the review aggregation context. I may save that for an upcoming editorial in our new Features section, but I've got some thoughts that might change your mind  as to our choice in that regard.  And I'm glad you've found our film section useful....

Marc
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Geno

Metacritic can be compared to GPA 

- Both are numerical averages 
- Both have non-consistent bases: an art major is part of the same GPA system as a science major when applying to a faculty, just as a racing game is different from a first person shooter
- Both have inconsistent judges - students have different combinations of professors from the last student just as games have different combinations of reviewers from the last game
- Both are based on subjective criteria; the majority of GPA is determined ultimately by assignments, lab reports, short answers, long answers, presentations and essays, all of which are subjective
- Both are widely used as a go-to reference for quality
- Both are not all-powerful; a low-GPA student can be quite capable while a high GPA student can be a dunce, just as a low-scoring game might turn out good while a high-scoring game might be quite bad 
- Both are under constantly shifting standards of quality that are not fully defined

GPA scores and Metacritic scores are formulated almost under the same methodology, yet one is widely accepted everywhere while one is constantly bashed for being unfair or unrepresentative. Metacritic is not perfect but I don't think anybody ever purported it to be. It merely serves as a guide and it's also the best system we have to use right now to determine the general quality of a media product, just as GPA is the best system we have to determine the general quality of a student. What can be said is that a game which gets a high score is more likely to actually be good to more people than a game that gets a low score. It is a matter of basic statistics that the probability of an occurrence decreases the further the standard deviations go. Also, to suggest otherwise is to say that games get their scores by pulling numbers out of hats, not based on any reasoning whatsoever, which is plainly wrong otherwise you wouldn't be going to sites like GB for reviews.  

I'm glad that Marc Doyle wrote up a response to clarify some misconceptions about Metacritic, it gets a bad rap from many people who are too paranoid or ignorant to understand what it's actually about. 

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By frankfartmouth

Metacritic has its use, but I don't pay much attention to the aggregate scores. I like to see all the scores, or a good bit of them, in separation, like the Famitsu/EGM scoring method, where you see several professional opinions at once instead of an average of those opinions, which often waters down the true impact of the game's reception.  If a game gets a 9, 7, 7, and a 6, those numbers mean a lot more to me than baking it all together into an average 7.25 (or 73, as I guess it would be) and calling it a day. Why did it get a 9? Why did one person think it was excellent and another thought it was average? Does that really mean the game is average, as its aggregate score would say? Plus, the user reviews on Metacritic are atrocious. For games and movies. Everything's a 0 or a 10, and the opinions are poorly articulated and thinly backed.  A more focused site like this one is far superior for user reviews and opinions.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Supermarius

They could go the Rotten Tomatoes route and instead of giving an aggregate grade based on individual percentage scores they would simply deem either review as a recommendation or a condemnation (with probably a middle of the ground neutral score for conditional recommendations). Its generally easy to tell if a reviewer like or hates a game, and we wouldnt have to worry about any shady score conversion process. However, i think to a certain extent people are overreacting. Rotten tomatoes hasn't harmed the Movie industry and its quite common for very successful movies to have profoundly awful rotten tomato aggregate values. Developers know that good games do not necessarily mean big sellers. Im pretty sure they also take sales into account when determining how to reward employees.

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By gunharp
@MarcDoyle  

My words here don't really matter to you, your site won't change, you are even the creator. Hell it is your job to aggregate like mad, if I was in your shoes I would defend my job as well.

I think the Metascore is bollocks, along with its algorithm, secrets, and "weights". As the Author of this blog post explains the Metascore number is the voice of Metacritic. This score so happens now to effect sales, and the stock of publishers. If your site did not provide that number, I think it would be a better tool. Oh and stop applying your own score based off the tone of reviews who don't give scores.  

Here is a quote from The Guardian interview you did:

"...it forces publishers to demand more from their developers, license owners to demand more from their licensees, and eventually, hopefully, the games get better. " 

You wanted to have an impact. You know you hold sway and know your Metascores are valuable. I understand you acknowledge this and that your indicator of quality is now having an impact on the gaming industry, yet you say here in your reply to End_Boss:

"I have absolutely nothing to do with how publishers integrate our numbers into their contracts with developers, PR teams, etc "

There would not be a metascore for publishers to integrate if it wasn't there.

You want to make better games? Go develop, go publish or get rid of the score. In my opinion the Metascore giant guage of quality out of your personal pool of "isolated critics" is doing more bad than good.

You know though, I gotta say (though I don't really know as end_boss points out) that the wall you have held to not satisfy outside influence, requests and wishes must be tough.  Good luck with keeping the integrity of it all and the companies and marketers your effecting at bay.

@End_Boss said:

" @MarcDoyle: Perhaps we'd be surprised, perhaps we wouldn't. Unfortunately, as long as that algorithm (or whichever term you'd like to affix to it) remains private, us skeptics go nowhere. Still, I appreciate the courage it took to respond to my post. God knows internet forums aren't always the most hospitable of places. So thank you, again, for trying to shed a little light on the subject. "   

Word. I also really appreciate Mr. Doyle's reply here on the forums, crazy unexpected and cool.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Nice blog endboss, got a nice discussion going on here as well.

For me reviews have always been highly personal. I like to know about the writer, know what they like and enjoy and if I can relate to their interests on a wider level. There needs to be a degree of empathy with the writer for a review to be successful. For example Vinny might give a favourable review to a dragonball Z game. As someone who listens to the bombcast i'm aware that Vinny is a Dragonball Z fan and that might, in some minor way, influence his review. The same review from Ryan would be completely different - as both writers have different personalities and interests. The point is that i'm aware of these conflicting opinions and I can relate to them and sympathise them - it's not as mechanical as "Vinny game this game a good review so I automatically go and buy it". In contrast have you ever noticed that sometimes your friend will tell you to go buy a game because "it's awesome" and you do even though it reviewed badly? Because they are your friend and you know them you can relate to why they enjoy the game. It's knowing when to trust a persons opinions.

To me metacritic has no sense of personality. There is nothing there I can relate to, no understanding of the dozens of voices that are being mixed together. It's too robotic to really provide anything useful. Metacritic needs to be subjective about which publications are chosen to source, which is perfectly reasonable. The line needs to be drawn somewhere otherwise every bugger with a blog starts showing up and rocking the boat. I can see a use for it, but to place such emphasis on something so mechanical and hollow seems unnecessary to me.