Deciding on a new pc/laptop

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 52

#1  Edited By tearhead

I'm starting college next week and I'll be needing a laptop, but i also need a new pc to play games on it. Now I was thinking about buying a crappy laptop for school and getting a desktop for home, only thing is i have very limited room in my apartment and fitting a desktop in would be a real hassle, plus then i'll have to buy a certain size computer desk etc. So my second idea was to buy a kick ass gaming laptop (for $2000 or less), so do you guys know of any really nice gaming laptops? Has to be at least 17" screen and preferably Gforce 9 series card. thanks in advance guys.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I'm sure you can come up with a lot better uses for $2000 than a gaming laptop, unless Mommy and Daddy are going to be buying it for you.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tearhead

But I need a pc for games i currently have no pc! How am i supposed to live like that?

roylink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By roylink

Try to see if you can make room for a desktop.You can get a better desktop for a price for a gaming laptop.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tearhead
roylink said:
"Try to see if you can make room for a desktop.You can get a better desktop for a price for a gaming laptop."
Yea, that was my first plan, but my apartment has little space and i would need to find the smallest computer dest know to man. plus i need a laptop for school. so i just thought i'd kill two birds with one stone.
MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By MerlijnVH

If you need a laptop for school, obviously school takes priority over gaming.
So I wouldn't even doubt about this, just look around for a laptop.

When I was still in school, I made the decision to get a laptop during my last years there.
It wasn't really common in my school back then? But it was awesome having one there.
And to be honest, you can get some very decent laptops these days for a great price, which have sufficient hardware to run most of your gaming needs.
I'm not saying it will run Crysis all maxed out, but most desktop PC's don't do that either.

momoko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By momoko

I recently bought this for myself. I do a lot of work on my computer but it also serves me pretty well for gaming. As long as you get something with a dedicated graphics card, you should be good to play most games out there. Mine can supposedly run Spore when it comes out and it runs the orange box like a dream.

Again, the dedicated graphics card is the key to a laptop that can run games pretty well. It's not top of the line when compared to a desktop of the same price, but if you need a laptop as much as I did... something like this could be a good investment.

MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MerlijnVH

Yeah, the only downside to getting a laptop with a high-end graphics card is the battery life.
Which is only logical, really. The more powerful your system is, the more juice it requires.

This isn't really a big thing to worry about if your classrooms are supplied with power sockets though.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ParanoidFreak

The Envy from Voodoo PC is sexy. Although it's a little more than $2000. If your getting one for school though, you should get a Mac.