Did Project $10 work?

Avatar image for deactivated-5de441812a230
deactivated-5de441812a230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Has the recent trend of locking content behind exclusive codes included in new copies of games affected your decisions to buy, or not buy, anything? Have you ever paid for said content after buying a used game, such as Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network or EA's online pass in their sports series?  

Recently, I was trying to decide between buying a used copy of either Battlefield BC 2 or Call of Duty Black Ops. I ultimately decided to get black ops, and I have to say that Battlefield's inclusion (exclusion, in the case of used games) of 'Project $10' content was a big factor in my decision. It didn't encourage me to buy it new, it encouraged me to not buy it at all... which, since they don't get my money either way, I suppose they don't really care.  

What do you think? Is Project $10 bad for gamers or merely just annoying? Has it encouraged you to buy something new instead of used?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#2  Edited By Sin4profit

i don't buy used so it makes no difference to me.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By rjaylee

I think it's important that developers get the piece of pie that they are entitled to when it comes to used game sales, so I think it's a fair system.

Simply put, if you're buying games used, don't buy them when they are still at a premium that will bring it's price to par as a new product after you purchase $10 online passes. Personally, it doesn't affect my buying decisions because I don't buy games used to begin with, as getting a used price discount is not what I look at when I buy games. If anything, I only look for discounts on new products, not used.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d
@Sin4profit said:

" I don't buy used so it makes no difference to me. "

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By zidd

I bought new 1st run copies of Hot Pursuit, Medal of Honor and Dead Space 2 i'd say it works.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Zlimness

I rarely buy games second-hand, so it doesn't really effect me all that much. Dead Space 2 dropped down to $25 after a couple of weeks, so why even bother buying it used? But then again, I would never spend $10 to get the "extra" content in most EA games that second-hand buyers supposedly gets left out of. Who here would pay $10 for the Cerberus pass? You didn't get anything even nearly worth $10.

I'm not sure if Project $10 worked like it was supposed to from EA's business point of view. Maybe it didn't since they decided to move the "extra" content to pre-orders only in hope of selling more that way before cutting the price in half just a few weeks later. But all of the EA games probably will continue to carry another DLC code if you bought it new. You can't just pop in the disc anymore and just play. You have to activate and download a bunch of DLC codes in order to get everything.

In 2-3 years, I can definitely see EA taking a few pointers from IKEA in order to cut development costs. Just ship out a bunch of codes and let the consumer put the game together.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pinworm45
@heatDrive88 said:
" I think it's important that developers get the piece of pie that they are entitled to when it comes to used game sales, so I think it's a fair system.  "
They did.. they got their cut with the initial sale. 

Unless you believe Chair makers should get credited if their items sell at a flea market or garage sale..?
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xyzygy

i would only buy used if it's a game where the 10-dollar thingy actually doens't matter to me. In reality I should have bought Dead Space 2 used but I couldn't wait that long for it to drop in price and I think I played the shit out of that game. But something like Mass Effect 2, yeah I bought it new (CE) when it launched.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By VierasTalo

I paid 4 euros to gain access to the UFC 2010 online since I bought it used. Didn't know it had  this system though since it was apparently only mentioned in a small paper slip inside the covers behind the manual, and I don't really look there when buying games at the local store. Kinda felt pissed but 4 euros won't break my finances.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I rarely buy games new since Gamestop has a policy that you can return a game for full price within 7 days if you buy it used. You can even straight up say "I didn't like it" 

And usually, there's a DLC code in a used box anyways. So no, project $10 doesn't affect me.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stete

Out of curiosity, how long does it take for a game in the states to start dropping in price? Here in the UK there are alot of cases where it just happens quite fast, for example there are already some places which started selling Dead Space 2 for half the price.  Anyhow my point is, for newly released titles I think it makes sense to wait until the price drops rather than buying second hand.

Back to the topic at hand, admittetly I have to admit I havent given a second thought to the $10 project until I started getting games that have it. Putting serial codes at console games just doesn't seem right.  Unlike steam there's no incentive to the consumer for going through an online registration process so even though it's a minor annoyance which I guess can be justified, it's still an annoyance.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

Given I haven't bought a used game since like... holiday '08, I'd say yeah it works? 

I dunno, I don't like buying used games anymore, and now that they come with less stuff, it just reaffirms my position. 

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spoonman671

EA seems to be doing it with more and more games, so I would say it was probably successful.  I buy my games new, so I don't care either way.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wickedsc3

It hasn't affected me so far.  I kinda forgot about it to be honest.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShaneDev

I do not buy games used very often but if I wanted to pick up something like Hot Pursuit later having to pay an extra €10 to play online in a game that is focused for online play would be a real annoyance. I may be able to find a new copy at a low price like I did with Alan Wake but it puts me off buying the game all together but its not like EA would care since they already got the first sale of the game which is what they care about and the online bonus for them is just a bonus. 

EDIT:  I think this kind of thing could be a dangerous "foot in the door" were eventually a game will require a code to play any part of it. 

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By FCKSNAP

Doesn't affect me but 'Project ten dollar' isn't an either/or state of working/not-working. It's already an industry standard by either having a serial code in the box or by having tons of expensive DLC for all the popular games like Call of Duty.

@Stete said:

"Out of curiosity, how long does it take for a game in the states to start dropping in price?  "

Depends on how many copies were ordered vs copies sold.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I very rarely buy used any more since I just order all my games off of Amazon. A few weeks ago I was trying to find a really cheap copy of Alan Wake and noticed that one of the sellers was selling a voucher to download the game for $4.99, and I immediately snapped that right up. What I had completely forgotten was that had I bought the game new for $15-20 I would have gotten "The Signal" DLC for free. It bummed me out a bit at first but from what I've heard about The Signal I guess I didn't really miss much.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Enigma777
@AlexW00d said:
" @Sin4profit said:

" I don't buy used so it makes no difference to me. "

"
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rjaylee
@Pinworm45 said:
" @heatDrive88 said:
" I think it's important that developers get the piece of pie that they are entitled to when it comes to used game sales, so I think it's a fair system.  "
They did.. they got their cut with the initial sale.  Unless you believe Chair makers should get credited if their items sell at a flea market or garage sale..? "

I should have been a little more specific... I'll explain this the best I can.

The Problem

It has everything to do with the retail used sales that companies like Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. are reaping massive profits from, not the second-hand user-to-user transactions. It's also not the same market or product chain as a chair or furniture sales, but I will explain if you are unaware, as everyone should know how video game market chains work.

How Games Get To Your Store, And Who Gets Your Money

That initial sale from a retailer to a consumer is not directly where a developer or publisher sees the revenue - it's when a retailer purchases units from the publisher itself to be resold to the public where the developer and publisher will see an actualized revenue. Yes, the consumer needs to generate the demand in purchases from the retailer itself, and that should indirectly give proper compensation to the developer and the publisher.  But unfortunately, it doesn't always work out as smoothly as this. Surely, there could be a better way for this product chain to be sold and distributed, but this is how it works as of today.

How and Why Publishers/Developers Don't See Their Fair Share

However, when retailers like Gamestop or Best Buy push used game sales so aggressively (especially at time of launch), it diminishes the number of brand new shrink-wrapped units that these retailers will order, because the consumer demand for these copies is lowered as demand rises for retailers to sell their used copies. We've all seen the campaigns that Gamestop runs - bring the game back just a couple weeks after the game comes out, and we give you back premium trade-in values, or bring these 2 premium games that still have high retail shelf-life, and we'll give you a copy of this other game for a free or a high discount. It's these campaigns that are diminishing that consumer demand for brand-new copies, and in turn, diminishes the need for retailers like Gamestop or Best Buy to order more fresh new copies from the publisher, which in turn can substantially drop the profits at which the publisher and developer will see.

The Baseline

If anything, this is the baseline that you should understand. Used game sales largely diminish the number of units that are bought from a publisher by a retailer. In turn, when revenue garnished by the publisher is lower than expected, developers don't get their cut or don't get their proper piece of the pie.

If you guys have any other questions regarding how this works, I'd be glad to try and field your questions the best I can.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By gingertastic_10

Online doesn't really matter to me, so no?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Slaker117
@SomeDeliCook said:
" I rarely buy games new since Gamestop has a policy that you can return a game for full price within 7 days if you buy it used. You can even straight up say "I didn't like it"  And usually, there's a DLC code in a used box anyways. So no, project $10 doesn't affect me. "
Wait really? That sounds incredibly easy to exploit.
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rjaylee
@Snapstacle said:

" Doesn't affect me but 'Project ten dollar' isn't an either/or state of working/not-working. It's already an industry standard by either having a serial code in the box or by having tons of expensive DLC for all the popular games like Call of Duty."

This is exactly true. It's really quite similar to the golden days of needing to input a CD-key found on the back of your CD jewelcases before playing a game on your PC, except nowadays it's simply to enable certain aspects of the game. While the consumer market that buys used games are not fans of this, the primary market of people buying games brand new don't see this as a hampering issue, as they shouldn't need to. If anything, these people almost see it as value-added for some games because it adds extra content for them that would otherwise be unavailable to them.

Or if I wanted to be extra pessimistic, as many have been, you could complain that this extra content was going to be on the disc anyways, and therefore was culled simply for this reason. While I agree that some games seem shifty as to the intention of their locked content or DLC intentions, we can only make speculation unless you were directly part of a product's development, and knew the exact timeframes of things like when discs went Gold, or other similar project management specifications.

[edit] Oh right, and of course this is entirely game-dependent. It's harder to justify locking the odd thing here and there on a singleplayer game for Project $10, but it's a lot easier to just lock out multiplayer as an online pass for Project $10 instead.