#1  Edited By RE_Player1
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RE_Player1

I've only recently gotten interested in Collector's Editions, I'm going to be getting the Dead Space 2 one and maybe Cataclysm. 

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Skytylz

Nope, never have.  I thought about getting the SC2 one, but I didn't have enough money to spend on games at the time.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Depends on what game it is and what I will get with the collector's edition.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Burns098356GX

I've bought one. It was the Gears of War collectors ed. It had a golden lancer for online play. Turns out the online in that game sucked hard. It was a waste of an extra 10 bucks.

NewfieKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NewfieKane

Never, however if I had the money I probably would.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I stopped getting excited about them after being disappointed by the Fallout 3 Survival Edition's piece of crap Pipboy clock.  The lunchbox and bobblehead were freakin' sweet though!

The Halo Reach limited edition is the only collector's edition I see myself getting for a long time. The Halo 3 Legendary edition is just gathering dust now, I imagine that would be the same with Reach's Legendary.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ZimboDK

Only CE I ever bought was the Half-Life 2 Gold Edition. Wasn't really that great. CE's just aren't worth it for me.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spoonman671

I've only ever bought two.  Resistance 2 (regret) and Starcraft 2 (awesome).  I might pick up the LittleBigPlanet 2 CE since it's only $20 more and it's got those bookends and a Sackboy plush doll.

Vafthrutnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Vafthrutnir

I stay away from them since the extras that they come with generally aren't that great anyway.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I think the last Collector's Edition I got was the Fable 3 one for the Master Chief armor.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By rjayb89

Only if they're on sale.  I got Batman: Arkham Asylum CE for $50.  I kinda want the night vision goggles for MW2 but I have no interest in the game itself.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Crono11

I've bought them before and I'm not opposed to buying them again in the future. Sometimes it's because I love the franchise and sometimes the goodies are too good to pass up.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

Not really, since they usually come in those stupid cardboard sleeves. However, I will accept them as gifts, since they also come with cool bonuses.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By gingertastic_10

I got the Fallout 3 one and I'll get the Fallout: New Vegas one too.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

It depends on a lot of things, including the game, the bonus content, and how much I like the series.  I bought all collector's edition for Guild Wars, for example, because I found the game to be so addictive and I knew I liked it.  The Prophecies collector's edition came with headphones that were well worth the extra cost, plus extra bonus stuff that made me wonder how the collector's edition managed to be only an extra $20.  The very minory Divine Aura bonus from it was at one point so common that it was everywhere (immediately after release), although it's quite a bit more distinctive now.

For Spore, I was similarly enthusiastic, and although the game was quite a bit of fun (less fun when my original galaxy met an untimely demise).  I think the extra cost was worth the bonus content, though, especially the DVD videos included with the game.  The only thing that made me sad was that I felt like the instruction manual included with the game was "adequate", and I noticed that the standard game was packaged with an even more stripped down version of it.  At that point, why have one at all?

For many games, if I'm not excited before release, I'm unlikely to buy a collector's edition.  I'd be in for a Portal 2 collector's edition;  for a normal or impulse buy, I'm not so excited about the extra goodies.  I don't care about an art book from a game that I'm not intensely interested in.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By one_2nd

Waste of money imo. I buy games to play them, not for memorabilia. 

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Alexander

I have come to realise through a painful learning process that collector's editions are a complete waste of money.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By flaminghobo

Depends on the game and whether the CE actually has some good swag in it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

No.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

no, i only bought one which was the modern warfare 2 one. it is kind of good. it was the only one that i bought. i think that it kind of a waste of money since it's really not all that special.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#22  Edited By Mystyr_E

Ones like Cataclysm, Civilization V or Little Big Planet 2? Hell yeah

Getting poker chips in F: New Vegas? Or an RC car? No.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thomasnash

I realise that they are totally stupid, but being an Aesthete at heart I tend to get them if they look nice enough. Generally not that bothered about in-game stuff but actual physical stuff, especially art-books, I like. My two favourites are easily the Fallout 3 one because it's just a neat idea, and not exactly the same as every other CE, but one I like even more than that is the Forza 3 one because it's just an attractive, aesthetically pleasing package. The keyring and USB drive were cool, and useful which is a bonus, but I'd like it even if it was just the nice cupboard-esque box. I know, I'm a corporate sucker.

Although I got that fairly recently and it was reasonably cheao (£20) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Others that I have are Mass Effect (second hand, not worth it really), F.E.A.R 2 (only got it as a space saver and because I am a sucker for tins, the package looks OK but the in game stuff is useless), S.T.A.L.K.E.R (Only real regret. not particularly attractive and the game wasn't that great. Second hand again though so I can let it go).

But yeah, generally a waste of money and I recognise totally what a tool I am for buying them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck no I don't waste my money.

woodelf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By woodelf86

I do only when it is a game I know I am getting day one and when the pack ins are extremely good, such as physical items like statues (why I am getting Halo Reach Legendary) or the in game items are awsome (Fable III) but I judge each game on its own merits and make my decisions based on them

Inuzagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Inuzagi
If theirs a collectors edition, I buy it without hesitation...unless said contents of CE are just that negligible then I just look away from them.
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aronman789

Fuck no, I'm not going to pay $40 more for a plushy and a card set of said game when i can get said game for its original price.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By rentfn

I do but then I always have buyers remorse.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Demyx

Maybe when I get a job, or I find one heavily discounted. 'til then, I'll just be a cheapskate.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Very very rarely. If Valve releases collectors editions I'd definitely jump on those though.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Quacktastic

I'm the type of person that will throw anything away so I know if I bought some collector's edition thing, most of it would just end up in the trash.  So, probably never.

nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By nywt

Only for certain games. I have all of the Halo collectors editions (the $80 ones, not the ridiculous $150 ones) and the Mass Effect 2 CE. I only get it for games that I am absolutely positive I am going to buy and therefore pre-order. For example, I have Halo Reach CE pre-ordered but not Fallout: New Vegas as I'm going to wait until I see some reviews before I bite.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bwmcmaste

I do not celebrate my purchase with the collection of superfluous wares.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By mylifeforAiur

They cost too much ;(

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kingofpeanuts

depends 

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lawrens

Only once, I bought the "Collector's edition" for RE5 because it came with a chainsaw usb thumb drive for I think 5 bucks more, I don't even remember what else it came with. 

I do like to buy Collector's edition if there is something interesting, but so far there hasn't been much CE that I'm interested in. I would buy something like Metal Gear Solid Collector's edition if it comes with something like "The document of Metal gear", but they don't do that, I mean I bought that Document thing separately anyway last generation, I would completely buy it bundled, if it comes with artbooks, ost (a non gimped one), I'd buy them.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jasta

I only have the RE4 CE. 

Its a tin box, Yee-Hah.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CaptainObvious

Sometimes.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By SumDeus

60 bucks is enough...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By penguindust

I've bought two and regretted both, so I don't buy them anymore.  I picked up the Halo 2 one but never watched any of the extra content and I bought the World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King collector's edition for the included in-game pet.  I quit WOW two months later.  Like the commentary tracks on DVDs, I never get my money's worth from the extra junk they give you in these more expensive versions.

Avatar image for deactivated-58d40f04a3868
deactivated-58d40f04a3868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if i have enough disposable cash, and the collectors edition is worth it, then sure.
sometimes they aren't that good,  like the fable 2 one, they changed the contents last minute.
sometimes they're better than the game it's self like alone in the dark.
others have far better box art than the standard edition,  Mass effect 2 for example, i feel like i'm getting eye cancer every time i look at the standard box art.

as for worth, it's all about how you feel, personally i love art books and sound tracks so i like collectors editions
 the biggest problem i have with my collectors editions is storage space because well, steel books are ok to put on the shelf with the rest, but the big games.... yeah they can't be put on the same shelf.

InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By InKtOiD

I've only picked up the Collector's Edition of a few select games. But right now I actually made sure to reserve the Special Editions of Fallout: New Vegas, just because I feel the game will be amazing enough to warrant it.
The other is Fable 3, that being because it actually offers content the normal edition doesn't have access to.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Depends on the game.  I'm very warry of paying full price for games these days, so paying even more is reserved only for very high quality games that I know I'm going to enjoy.  And even then, it has to include some great stuff, I'm not won over by crappy ingame items that should have been in the standard game to begin with.  I certainly don't care about getting a deck of cards.. 

Drakhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Drakhir

If I recall correctly, the only one I bought was ME2's.

THRICE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By THRICE

Used to but the extras anymore are total crap with rare exceptions like Blizzard games. The steelbook cases are always cheap and typically the art books are lame and any bonus features are underwhelming. Halo 2 still stands as the best example of how to do a special edition. It was $10 more you got a nice steel case that wasn't too flimsy or had cheap paint that scratched off like a lottery ticket and it came with a feature length documentary that gave a really interesting look into game development. Not trading cards and stickers and some DLC codes for an extra $20.