• 98 results
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By Marz

I like them because you actually get to see the game way before it comes out, so it's a nice preview.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Sploder

I really enjoy them, I love hearing developers discuss what inspires them and how passionate about their game. And the ones with Brad Muir are always funny.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Generally they're not entertaining or informative because you can't get most developers to loosen up and be genuine.

Still, I think they should keep doing them.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Azteck

They did an EX with Muir, right? I liked that one in that case.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By LikeaSsur

I enjoy them. I like hearing from the people who made the game talk about it. They sound so excited and wanting to share their creation. Yeah, sometimes it borders on the annoying, but they get calmer as the video goes on, it seems. Also, maybe they're just not used to Giant Bomb's casual nature.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I like the Quick Look EX because at least then they do the game justice 

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By NoobSauceG7

@Hizang said:

I hate to say this, so don't bitch, but I generally don't enjoy them as much.

They often hold back from making jokes about the game if there doing a EX, also the guy explaining the game is usually boring. On a few occasions its actually a good video, but often than not I don't watch them.

My thoughts exactly!

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DukesT3

Some are good. The NASCAR one was great and very informative, I'm very interested in that game as it gets closer to release date.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By Nev

I don't watch'em, but have no problem with their existence.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should be a sometimes option. It all depends on who the extra dude is. Sometimes they can be awesome, sometimes they can be cringe-worthy.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I think it really depends on the game and who's showing it. Sometimes it feels a little constrained because obviously they aren't going  to point out flaws in the game with the guy previewing it for them right there. But the Mark of the Ninja one in particular I thought was great, the game looked interesting and the guy showing it was well spoken so everyone came out looking good. 

On the flip side of the coin, remember this one?

silentbob251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By silentbob251

I enjoy them. I get good information and they are usually put out well in advance of the release. They may not otherwise be able to show off that game at all until after it is out. I love the regular quick looks, but sometimes it devolves to jokes and that can at times take away from what's being presented to me (even though I do think they are pretty hysterical).

It's just another way for me to see a game I may be interested in. The PR speak doesn't bother me because hey, that's their job and the are trying to do the best they can; and I don't mind that the GB crew doesn't rip into the game. They are being respectful and that's the correct way to go about it. The publisher is willing to send over guys and show off a lengthy portion of their game that helps generate traffic to GB. It's a win-win. At the end of the day I prefer it to highly stylized and edited trailers that are usually misleading.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#63  Edited By sjschmidt93

I kind of dislike them. They should certainly do both a quick look and and a quick look ex for a game, to avoid the "fluff".

silentbob251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By silentbob251

@SJSchmidt93: Also to add to my post, I agree with this sentiment.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#65  Edited By Castiel

@Hizang said:

I hate to say this, so don't bitch, but I generally don't enjoy them as much.

They often hold back from making jokes about the game if there doing a EX, also the guy explaining the game is usually boring. On a few occasions its actually a good video, but often than not I don't watch them.

Pretty much this.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Sayishere

I feel it to be fake kind of, like the dudes try and be funny sometimes and the crew have to laugh kind of to be nice. It just feels uncomfortable and boring most of the time. Although, there's special occasions, like the harmonix dudes, or the ex with happy action theatre and double fine, that was entertaining.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By Dogma

I think that "it depends" answer is kind of a cop out (meaning that's why it's not an poll option, not that you arent allowed to say that in the thread). You could apply that to a regular Quick Look too. It's the same as to say "I like it if it's good". I feel it's the same thing with EX videos. There are good and there are bad ones, there are even some OK ones, just like Quick Looks. So my point is I want to keep them but some people act like they should just disapear on the site. I think it was that my two options actually meant. But it's good to hear people speak about it. As I said earlier it's so easy to just hear a upset minority among the comments and that skews ones view of things.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Most of them are terrible, but there was one recently that was actually pretty funny. Can't remember what it was.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Dogma

@GunslingerPanda said:

Most of them are terrible, but there was one recently that was actually pretty funny. Can't remember what it was.

Happy Action Theater Sequel perhaps?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Dogma said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

Happy Action Theater Sequel?

No, though that one was fucking amazing. They have a pretty good relationship with Double Fine though so I wouldn't really count that. It was pretty recent, but not the P4A one because that was awkward as hell.

Oh, it was the Transformers one.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Draxyle

@LooseChange said:

Some are good. The NASCAR one was great and very informative, I'm very interested in that game as it gets closer to release date.

I forgot about that one. That quicklook left me more interested in NASCAR than I had ever previously been (ie; not at all). I can only imagine how the GB'ers would have presented that game had they not had developer knowledge on hand.

There are a couple quicklooks EX's here and there that were clearly not ideal for a quicklook EX, but there are some titles that truly need the developers on hand to do them proper justice.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By DoctorWelch

It depends, sometimes they aren't bad when it's indie guys and they have someone who actually made the game in there. On the other hand, they are completely terrible when they get a PR guy like in the Transformers QL EX. Either way, I'd take a regular QL over a QL EX every time. Even if it means sacrificing that early access footage.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By tim_the_corsair

It depends entirely on who is representing the developer and whether they "get" Giant Bomb.

Any Double Fine game, for example, or Wrecketeer was another one, Fall of Cybertron too, all examples where it isn't just a PR drone jabbering humourlessly for fifteen minutes.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Dogma

@GunslingerPanda: Haha! Okey how could I know you separated Good and "fucking amazing"? ^^

But I do think it still counts. Why wouldn't it? That means every developer they have a good relationship with would get discounted. I guess the goal would be to get as many of these people as comfortable as possible in the Giant Bomb setting. Someone earlier in the thread said that it seems like many guys ain't used to how loose and casual the tone can be on a Quick Look. Practice makes perfect!

I also agree that the Transformer EX Look was a good one BUT that video came under heavy fire from the comments because they thought the High Moon Studios guys was to much "on message" and "only wanted to sell the game" (!!!!!). I personally thought that video had a lot of great moments and cool tidbits of insider storys and fun facts about the develpoment. Different folks, different strokes.

D_train_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By D_train_lives

yeah I come here to watch them rip apart shit games and listen to them rant super off topic, EX doesn't allow either of those so away with the EX i say.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Dogma

@DoctorWelch said:

On the other hand, they are completely terrible when they get a PR guy like in the Transformers QL EX. Either way, I'd take a regular QL over a QL EX every time. Even if it means sacrificing that early access footage.

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Any Double Fine game, for example, or Wrecketeer was another one, Fall of Cybertron too, all examples where it isn't just a PR drone jabbering humourlessly for fifteen minutes.

My oh my how peoples opinions can differ about the exact same thing. One thinks it's a PR guy and terrible and another thinks "he get's Giant Bomb".

And in Tiegers defence. He is not a PR guy, he is the game director for the game and therefore a developer. He may be a face outwards and a spokes person but he is still a developer that had a lot to say about the details about the game. I of course takes sides here since I don't think the Transformers EX was filled with only "PR bullshit". I just thought it was funny how different some people interpret the same behavior from a person.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#77  Edited By Pop

Sometimes I feel like the GB guys hold stuff up when they're doing a QLEX and sometimes when they go on a tangent they bring it on topic faster in a QLEX. I still watch them just like any normal QL.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#78  Edited By Seroth

I'm not going to vote, because none of the options fit my choice.

No, I don't like them, but they can, and probably should, still do them. I think I understand why they do them, but it's usually not the type of content I'm looking for. Sometimes I just wish that there were proper Quick Looks of certain games, in addition to the EX versions. I mean, those Quick Looks could probably benefit from the EX ones in that the GB crew might actually know how to play the game when Quick Looking it. :P

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#79  Edited By crusader8463

They usually suck because the people they have from the dev side of things are not used to being in front of a camera and are not as interesting to watch, or they just do the usual shilling of the game and are not as interesting.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@Dogma The Transformers one opened with a sarcastic passive-aggressive argument with Jeff about his love of the G1 designs.

I think that dude gets it
rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#81  Edited By rachelepithet

Only if its game makers with personality. If its John Drake, Adam Boyes, JV, dudes from Grin wherever they are now, Brad Muir, Kasavin, Paul Barnett, then fine. Without someone comfortable with the GB crew, they seem kinda awkward.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#82  Edited By Brendan

@SoothsayerGB said:

Can't stand them. Brad Shoemaker is the worst in them. Since he turns into a used car salesman. But local sports-news caster Ryan is pretty damn annoying as well. The commentary is almost always fake and uninteresting. Especially when the Devs play the game. I almost never finish watching those videos.

Only thing worse, is when Brad starts in on how great Blizzard games are. Swear Blizz must be paying him to talk them up. Always something odd when everyone in the bombcast is against the thing they are talking about, but Brad shovels on for no good reason.

If you actually think that Brad is being being paid undercover to promote certain games without his own coworkers knowledge, then you are insane. Chemtrails insane.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83  Edited By DoctorWelch

@Dogma said:

@DoctorWelch said:

On the other hand, they are completely terrible when they get a PR guy like in the Transformers QL EX. Either way, I'd take a regular QL over a QL EX every time. Even if it means sacrificing that early access footage.

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

My oh my how peoples opinions can differ about the exact same thing. One thinks it's a PR guy and terrible and another thinks "he get's Giant Bomb".

And in Tiegers defence. He is not a PR guy, he is the game director for the game and therefore a developer. He may be a face outwards and a spokes person but he is still a developer that had a lot to say about the details about the game. I of course takes sides here since I don't think the Transformers EX was filled with only "PR bullshit". I just thought it was funny how different some people interpret the same behavior from a person.

A quote from the Transformers QL EX "A more emotional shooting experience." I rest my case.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#84  Edited By jorbear

I enjoy having the commentary coming directly from the developer, so yeah, I like them.

joetom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By joetom

They generally don't bother me, but it does bug me when they don't follow it up with a standard Quick Look. Quick Looks generally point out negative things about a game that they obviously aren't going to point out when the devs are right there next to them.

For instance, they were talking about not doing a Dark Siders 2 Quick Looks, because they already did an EX. While I think the EX was very informative and entertaining, I'd still like to see a more honest look at it without worry of offending the devs.

And it's a totally different story when Double Fine is involved. That Happy Action Theater Sequel QL:EX is some of the best content the site has put out in a while.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#86  Edited By ThePickle

Unless there are Double Fine guys on I'm not interested. But that doesn't mean they should go away, they're just not for me. I really just can't stand Ryan and Jeff's fake laughs.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I think there is a time and a place for them. They're at their worst when the developers are at the controls.

They're also at their worst when they don't have Brad Muir on.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By beforet

It depends on the EX! guest. If they are charismatic and willing to laugh a bit, then it's great. If they're stiff, boring, and talk like PR guys with guns to their heads, then it's awkward and dull.

tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@GenocidalKitten

@DoctorWelch said:

@Dogma said:

@DoctorWelch said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

A quote from the Transformers QL EX "A more emotional shooting experience." I rest my case.

Exactly and he pulled "A more emotional shooting experience" out of the fact that the camera was now slightly more zoomed in.

I think it is unreasonable to expect a guy who is there as a PR exercise not to actually say things in a PR way about his game.

The difference is whether they can have a conversation beyond the marketing speak, and i felt like the dude in that EX had a good sense of humour and was capable of actually conversing intelligently about the game while also mucking around a little bit with the guys.
Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Laiv162560asse

I don't expect QLEXs to ever disappear from the site, since maintaining industry contacts and receiving info with them will (and should) always form part of GB's remit. However I voted 'No' because atm I feel like they may be coming at the expense of straight-up QLs due to lack of time or resources. Seeing the GB crew play games is essentially what I come to the site for. While QLEXs may help give a better overview of a game they never really answer the fundamental question of what GB thinks of a game while playing it.

It's not just a problem of naming, either. It's about how GB view the QLEXs; they seem to think 'hey, we're just doing a QL with some of the creators along for the ride', when that's not actually possible due to sacrifices made necessary by professional courtesy. Does anyone think the QL of Super Mario Bros 2 would have been as honest and downbeat as it was with Reggie Fils-Aime sat beside them?

KlUMZeE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By KlUMZeE

I voted yes, but it really depends on the developer and what they're actually allowing them to show. Double Fine EXs are always awesome and the Darksiders 2 QL:EX was pretty great too.

Mastercheesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#93  Edited By Mastercheesey

Yeah I like them when it's Double FIne, but as long as I'm interested in the game it really doesn't matter.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Ravenlight

I think Brad Muir should show up to every QL:EX, regardless if he had anything to do with the featured game or not.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Levius

You know what would be cool, a post-mortem Quick Look EX. Going through a game where the developer talks somewhat candidly about how the game came together, and its flaws and successes.

As to the question at hand, QL EX's are usually dry (Double Fine are the exception) and are no replacement for proper Quick Looks. One egregious case was Catherine, I would have been really interested in that given how divisive the game was, but we only got an EX where the opinions are tempered.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By jozzy

I don't think anyone likes the QL EX's more than the normal QL's, but they have been a lot better lately. And I also agree that it's a substitute for a normal QL at a later date.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By AngelN7

Honestly they're always making jokes in them and being all "giantbombsy" in them the only one wich was really forced was that one for NFS : The Run, other than that most of them have been and felt like regular QLs to me.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By artgarcrunkle

If it's not with one of their Industry Bros then it's usually unwatchable, even worse if it's a bad game that had the potential to be a fun QL.

Tygerbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Tygerbite

Unless its something from double fine I don't even bother watching it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose they are getting paid a little sum for showing a game in this, shall we say, controlled way. Keeping this in mind, I don't particularly like or dislike them. They are what they are.