• 55 results
KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By KnightsofRound

I'm mostly talking about games in the style of Dragon Quest and the Final Fantasy games from FFX and lower.  Games of this type.

It seems like these more traditional console RPGs are really fading out, which is kind of disappointing to me because I like the turn-based random battle stuff.  I think as long developers keep creating new unique battle systems they still can have an important place in gaming.

What do you guys think?  It basically seems like the no-random battle more action-focused RPGs are taking over.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Termite

Yeah a bit, but some are still coming out

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By fr0br0

Not at all. It's time that RPG's have evolved from this gameplay. But this doesn't mean I don't enjoy going back to playing older games with turn-base.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I think turn-based games need to spice up a bit, I've been playing Dragon Quest VIII and the plainness of the combat is really getting to me.  Even little things like Super Mario RPG's timed hits and Lost Odyssey's ring system are enough to keep me playing.

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KnightsofRound
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"I think turn-based games need to spice up a bit, I've been playing Dragon Quest VIII and the plainness of the combat is really getting to me.  Even little things like Super Mario RPG's timed hits and Lost Odyssey's ring system are enough to keep me playing.
"
I agree.  I really liked Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Partners in Time for this reason.  The timing of your battle actions pretty much made those games fun throughout the entire thing.
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
KnightsofRound said:
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"I think turn-based games need to spice up a bit, I've been playing Dragon Quest VIII and the plainness of the combat is really getting to me.  Even little things like Super Mario RPG's timed hits and Lost Odyssey's ring system are enough to keep me playing.
"
"I agree.  I really liked Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Partners in Time for this reason.  The timing of your battle actions pretty much made those games fun throughout the entire thing."
Yeah, those games were insane as well.  Might as well lump the Paper Mario RPGs in there too.
fierypayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By fierypayne

I know what you mean. To me it kind of seems like the average gamer doesn't like the turn based style anymore. And since technology doesn't limit game play like it did in the 8 and 16 bit generations people just are not forced like they were to play those types of games. It kind of depends if you grew up in those days and became accustomed to the style. The younger gamers and more casual gamers are put off by slow paced turn by turn fighting. I know most of my friends hate watching those games; let alone play them.

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Terra1909

Aren't most of them just moving to the handhelds. It's kind of nice; that way they retain the 16-bit look.

NeoTheta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By NeoTheta

I would love to see another turn-based RPG in the vain of FF and Breath of Fire. Final Fantasy X is my favorite RPG of all time, and I really miss that style of play. And true, a lot of turn-based RPGs are coming to DS, but playing one that uses the full graphical power of the consoles would be great.

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KnightsofRound
FieryPayne said:
"It kind of depends if you grew up in those days and became accustomed to the style. The younger gamers and more casual gamers are put off by slow paced turn by turn fighting. I know most of my friends hate watching those games; let alone play them."
I know exactly what you mean.  I played turn-based RPGs much earlier than any of my friends ever did and I really came to enjoy them.  So during highschool when all of my friends were playing Halo I was pretty much the only person playing FFX.  None of my friends really like console RPGs at all either for that matter, and I think it's probably because they never really played them when they were younger.  The closest thing the majority of my friends get to "RPG" is Diablo II.
10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 10MP

lost odyssey, blue dragon came out recently go play them.

Lost odyssey is amazing btw and imo one of the most underrated games this gen.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I love the Tales style RPG batting, the Linear Motion Battle System. I recently went back to playing Skies of Arcadia Legends and felt that it was slow, after playing Tales of Symphonia. I like turn based, but I love real time fights even more. I don't like waiting to watch everything play out, I just want to do it.

iamsickofspam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iamsickofspam
10MP said:
"Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon came out recently go play them."
Yeah dude, those games are totally in the spirit of the old school, LO is like an unofficial Final Fantasy.

Wesley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wesley

I respect the fact that the genre needs to evolve etc but I do enjoy the more traditional battle system more than any action-oriented style I've played in recent years.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By azteris

In the sense that FFXII was utterly forgettable, yes.

Edit: I am also a big fan of both the Kingdom Hearts series and the Tales series. I think Action RPGs can be done, and well.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
Azteris said:
"In the sense that FFXII was utterly forgettable, yes."
Really?  I thought it was the kick that Final Fantasy needed in terms of the series' combat.
Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Duke

I wish they made a come back, only because it seems all that is released now are "action-RPG's" which usually favor luck & speed over actual RPG elements (stats & items)

TheDudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By TheDudge

I really wish that they would make more turn based rpgs as I have grown to love them over the years. The games companies should make a mixture of both action and turn based rpgs rather than just the action ones.

nezze00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By nezze00

Yes, turn-based games are not just a phase in evolution. They are their own thing! I like em alot!

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By xplodedd

not really. I remember vinny was talking about how they aren't fun as you are used to remember, and he used a trainer mostly.

Leon31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Leon31

To an extent I miss turn-based. It really depends on how I'm feeling at the time I guess.

Ranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ranger

It does look like Atlus and the Wii's Virtual Console are the palce I turn to now for this type of gaming. And I do fit into the demo that someone mentioned above about being the older gamer that grew up on the standards of Text Adventures, Phantasy Star 1, Lufia, Final Fantasy and Shining Force. For me these games remind me of Chess. And since I can rarely find people to play stratagy type games that don't require a mouse,  a tech tree that doubles as a wall poster and a boat load of time [thanks Sins of the Solar Empire] I'm stuck with solo adventuring on the consoles. Not the DS.. ugh. And how will Nintendo ever do a Game Boy Player for that thing anyhow?

evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By evilhomer

No not really.  I get my fill with the Shin Megami Tensei series, even Persona 4 is keeping the ps2 alive.  Nocturne has become one of my favorite rpg's and persona 3 has some of the best characters in recent memory.

I also like some of the srpgs with fft and disgea on the psp I dont even really have time for any more rpg gaming

GiantBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GiantBomber

Turn based games are really cool. But that's not to say RPG's can't come out with bigger and better things.

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KnightsofRound
10MP said:
"lost odyssey, blue dragon came out recently go play them.

"
Lost Odyssey is definitely high on my wish list.  Unfortunately I do not have an Xbox 360 yet.  I have been keeping an eye on that game since before it came out though, and I definitely plan on purchasing it.
Sir_Marwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sir_Marwin

I did miss them... but suddenly came FFIV for the DS and I got it :D

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By lucas_kelly

I did until I played Lost Odyssey.

Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cleric

Turn based, menu driven combat? Yes please.

That's one of the biggest reason why I enjoyed Lost Odissey so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blame japanese devs. crpgs are still made in abundance.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By azteris

xplodedd said:
"not really. I remember vinny was talking about how they aren't fun as you are used to remember, and he used a trainer mostly.
"

No, Vinny said Diablo (not even close to a turn-based RPG) was hard to go back to because you don't remember when thinking nostalgically that the game took a long time, you just think of the best parts. He was also just talking about playing old games again, not about making new games in that genre.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By azteris
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"Azteris said:
"In the sense that FFXII was utterly forgettable, yes."
Really?  I thought it was the kick that Final Fantasy needed in terms of the series' combat.
"
It just felt a turn based game trying to look like a real-time game. I can play either, but not some horrible mix. Besides, the story was nothing special.
Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dauragon

No, not at all.

I never liked it, and I never will.

I'm kind of glad the days of slogging through combat i didn't enjoy just to see the next segment of the story are over.

solidseth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By solidseth

I don't mind developers trying to reinvent the genre. In theory it sounds like a good idea, but everytime they have done something different so far, it just seems to take away from the classic feel an rpg should have.

psr388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By psr388

can't say i do

turn-based usually means random battles, and random battles are epic fail

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KnightsofRound
SolidSeth said:
"I don't mind developers trying to reinvent the genre. In theory it sounds like a good idea, but everytime they have done something different so far, it just seems to take away from the classic feel an rpg should have."
I have to agree with that.  I am having a significantly hard time enjoying FFXII for this reason.  I am not really sure why, but something about it just feels really off, it's the whole game in general.  It just doesn't really feel like a Final Fantasy RPG to me, and the battle system feels like a single-player MMORPG.  Which IMO just doesn't belong.
Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Schizoid

I used to love turn based RPGs but now I'm not sure if I would enjoy them so much. I rarely play games for longer than 30 minutes to an hour at a time now so if I went back to playing one of those types of games I don't think I would have the patience to wade through random battles and slow combat.

MrVegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MrVegeta
YES
mihaipitbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mihaipitbull

i think i want to play a turn-based rpg but then i play it for 40 minutes and get super bored

Justaddwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Justaddwater

I thought I was done with turn based RPGs, but ive just started Lost Odyssey and that game is stupidly fantastic, so far anyway. Its nice to be able to think about your next move rather than bashing buttons. I really didnt like the system in Eternal Sonata.

JazzMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JazzMaverick

I'm not a fan of turn based combat,and i hate random battles,so No.

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KnightsofRound

Yeah I like the strategic element also.  Final Fantasy X had an amazing battle system I think.  I loved the fact that you had endless time to think about your next move, and it listed the turn order, including your enemies.  The strategic thinking is probably what I miss the most.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By samcotts

Yeah I loved Final Fantasy X's turn-based battle system, it was a nice change of pace, and still kept the battle exciting.

I haven't read much up about FFXIII, but I'm guessing it isn't turn-based?

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sil3n7

Miss them? They are still making them. A few of them hold a place in my heart, but the majority of them make me believe that they are just an older game design that is stuck in the past even though other designs are much more engaging to play.

Lairdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lairdo

I hate turn based rpg's.

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By insanegamer

i miss them, i wish final fantasy were still making turn base because they were my fav ones and turn base rpg's are my fav rpg games.

Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cleric
KnightsofRound said:
"Final Fantasy X had an amazing battle system I think.  I loved the fact that you had endless time to think about your next move, and it listed the turn order, including your enemies."

Yes. I think FFX has the best battle system of the series.

You could also see how your moves changed the turn order before taking your decision. Good times.

Jonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jonathan

I always say : If you want to play games with old school gameplay, play old school games.

I do prefer the old Final Fantasy games but they are still being released (on the DS).  If you want to play Resident Evil the same way you did 10 years ago, then play those old Resident Evil games. Don't restrict gameplay evolution.

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KnightsofRound
samcotts said:
"I haven't read much up about FFXIII, but I'm guessing it isn't turn-based?"
From the little information that Square has released, apparently battles are going to be action-based.  They said that the battle system in FFXIII was created out of a desire to want to create battles like the ones seen in Advent Children in one of the games.  I'm expecting it to be kind of like Crisis Core.  Obviously not completely identical, but something like that.

Sil3n7 said:
"Miss them? They are still making them."
Not very frequently though... and they usually slip under the radar, kind of like Lost Odyssey.  A lot of them also get critisized for "not evolving" with the action-oriented RPGs, which I kind of think is a load of BS personally.  I think there is room for both types of RPGs to co-exist, the developers just can't get lazy with turn-based RPGs and stick to comfortable niches, or the genre WILL die out almost completely if they just keep doing that.

MarksmanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MarksmanLink
KnightsofRound said:
"10MP said:
"lost odyssey, blue dragon came out recently go play them.

"
Lost Odyssey is definitely high on my wish list.  Unfortunately I do not have an Xbox 360 yet.  I have been keeping an eye on that game since before it came out though, and I definitely plan on purchasing it.
"
You should definitely buy it when you get a 360, plus it will most likely be pretty cheap by then. The way i see Lost Odyssey is a tribute to Final Fantasy (from VII to X) with upgraded graphics.
KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KnightsofRound
Jonathan said:
"I always say : If you want to play games with old school gameplay, play old school games.

I do prefer the old Final Fantasy games but they are still being released (on the DS).  If you want to play Resident Evil the same way you did 10 years ago, then play those old Resident Evil games. Don't restrict gameplay evolution."
Resident evil is a completely different genre though.  The way the Resident Evil series has evolved I think constitutes more as natural evolution of the survival horror games.  The most significant change that they made was changing the camera angle to make it easier to fight enemies, while also keeping the claustrophobic feeling of the game.

I think action RPGs and traditional RPGs are two completely different genres that can still co-exist.  Turn-based RPGs are more strategic.  They are about statistics, equipment, and planning a strategy.

Action RPGs on the other hand are more about reflexes, skill, and attack patterns.

I don't really see how you can say that RPGs being replaced with more action-oriented RPGs is natural evolution.  It is natural evolution in the context of originating from RPGs and then branching off, but traditional RPGs shouldn't be replaced in the process.