Do you own/plan to own a next gen gaming rig?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you own/plan to own a next gen gaming rig? (47 votes)

Yes 81%
No 19%

Since the watch dogs delay the press in general (the crew at giantbomb in particular) seems down on next gen of consoles. This is an understandable position coming from people who have the option to buy BF4, AC4 watch dogs, titanfall, etc. on PC.

So I was wondering: is that position representative of the giantbomb community? How many of you guys own or will soon upgrade to PCs capable enough to run watch dogs or BF4 on high settings?

• 
sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#1 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I will get one eventually, but I had to cancel my PS4 preorder due to financial issues.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes ... but rather than a substitute I will wait till Steam OS is great and then move out to a new rig then. Still planning to get a PS4 but probably until November/ December of next year

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I plan to get a console, but likely not til 2014 or early 2015 when they are offering better prices or features. There are still a ton of great PS3 games I have never played and I imagine they will be selling PS4s with bigger hard drives by the time I really want one.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I will sometime next year. I was playing Rocksmith 2014 on my laptop and it shut off from overheating.

Now I'm paranoid about playing any games, despite having a huge Steam library. Then again, I want to see how those Steam boxes turn out. I have my laptop for everything but games so my PC would be used for pretty much one thing.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I have a decent rig at the moment and I'm not that interested in the new consoles to be honest. I'll hold a bit longer until there's at least 2-3 good exclusives.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Yes, I am strictly a Mac user so if I want to game, I gotta have a console. My plan all along has been to wait for tax return season and inFamous: Second Son though. I don't feel like dropping $500 right now, I'd rather wait until it feels something like "free".

michaelferrari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By michaelferrari

I love gaming, but I attribute my continual early-adopteritus to gadget lust.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pyrodactyl

@nodima said:

Yes, I am strictly a Mac user so if I want to game, I gotta have a console. My plan all along has been to wait for tax return season and inFamous: Second Son though. I don't feel like dropping $500 right now, I'd rather wait until it feels something like "free".

So no? Gaming rig=gaming PC, not next gen console.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rangers517

This is worded kind of confusingly so I bet a bunch of people are quickly reading the title and voting yes that they're buying new consoles instead of what the question actually is. Anyway, voted no. Don't really have the money to first buy the expensive pc, and then to keep updating it. The recommended specs for some of these games are already freaking some people out and these are just the first batch of next gen games...

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is worded kind of confusingly so I bet a bunch of people are quickly reading the title and voting yes that they're buying new consoles instead of what the question actually is. Anyway, voted no. Don't really have the money to first buy the expensive pc, and then to keep updating it. The recommended specs for some of these games are already freaking some people out and these are just the first batch of next gen games...

Should've replaced ''rig'' with ''PC'' but I can't edit poll titles.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli

My current one is a first gen lower high end DX11 machine. In other words, it doesnt' cut it anymore for the next gen games that'll come out in the near future. So no.

I'm planning to buy a new PC 2-3 years in the future. For my money, a PS4 is the right investment right now. I'll likely grab the Xbox One after its first major pricecut in a year or two. For the next 3-4 years, consoles will absolutely suffice for my *next gen* needs, then it'll be time to put a wad of cash down for a decent *next gen rig*.

Of course, if my current PC craps out sooner, I'll have to weigh my options then. Best laid plans et all.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rangers517 said:

Should've replaced ''rig'' with ''PC'' but I can't edit poll titles.

Any mod magic to work this out?

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I plan on building a gaming pc in a year or so, I got to save up for it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I haven't had a game capable computer in 7 years. If everything goes according to plan I'll build a rig within 6 months.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I had a 7970 but sold it for a GTX 760 because I moved to a ITX build. I may get a R9 290X or a 780TI once the former gets aftermarket cooling and the later comes out. My CPU is plenty, 3570K with a mild over clock. I mainly play on my 1080p plasma TV, so I may not need more horsepower for awhile. I'm thinking the 4K 32" monitors might be nice once they are cheaper, but that would take some hella power.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm planning on building a new rig whenever I get the $$$ (also weighing the fact that the longer I wait the more powerful the PC I could build would be). So while not immediately, I'd say yes.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That depends, is a Steam Machine a "next gen gaming rig"?

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I was a PC gamer for the most part but recently I started getting wrist pain using a mouse, so to avoid carpal tunnel I am focusing on consoles the next two or three years. So no "next-gen" PC for me, getting a PS4 for now.

My current rig is only 3 years old though and should be able to play most PC indie exclusives when I need it to, like Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ry_Ry

My laptop is running an aging Nvidia 335m but I've got an order in for a PS4.

Nubikal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My current PC (2500K / 560 Ti) is getting on a bit and will struggle once most games have Watch Dogs level requirements. Probably going to wait series or two of PC hardware before building again though, the price I'd have to pay for a noticeable upgrade is too high at the moment.