#2  Edited By teptom
rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By rexualhealing

It was pretty rad for its time, thanks to really cool CD-ROM MULTIMEDIA TECHNOLOGY!!!!.

You have to really try and get into it to get into it. Also, I hear the recent handheld ports were fail. In my opinion, I think it hasn't aged very well, but then again I own it on Saturn and I have no idea how good of a port that was.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By vidiot

Myst, and it's series seems to always hit this gray area in PC gaming in terms of general acceptance. It's a bit of a shame really, if you take the game in the context of its time it is quite phenomenal, showcasing a real reason for the use of CD's versus floppies. (If you think disk swapping was crazy, anyone remember getting a game on multiple floppies? :P) Myst defined the puzzle adventure game bringing the static nature of text adventures finally into a much needed visual medium. The original game has not aged well. Postage stamp quicktime movies combined with a presentation that was called a slide-show, (Which is technically not a bad description, the game was built on HyperCard if I remember correctly.) if you don't have an open mind and haven't played a game that was made during that time period its very difficult to accept the original Myst.

On the other hand RealMyst is a better entry point for someone who has never played the game. 

There's of course the general 'twitch-only gamer-bias' which could never understand why anyone would want to only relax and think while playing (too boring), which is completly understandable.

It's too bad that the market got flooded with me-too Myst clones after the initial success of the original the end result was the almost total abadonment of puzzle pc adventure games.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By c1337us

I found it alright. I have only played the first one though. I got a copy of IV a few years ago in a give away when I bought Far Cry from the Ubisoft: Thats Hot! discount range. I never played it though as it had been years since I played the original and never having played any of the sequels it didnt seem like a good way to go. Its not the kind of game that you can just jump into.

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CashBailey

I remember buying RIVEN on the PS1.

I don't think I ever figured out a single puzzle. There was no recognisable logic to the world and I'm sure Cyan made more money selling guide books than they did selling the game.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AdrianWerner
CashBailey said:
"I remember buying RIVEN on the PS1.

I don't think I ever figured out a single puzzle. There was no recognisable logic to the world and I'm sure Cyan made more money selling guide books than they did selling the game."
You didn't try hard enough. Riven has by far the most logical puzzles I've seen in adventure game, they're just incredibly hard and require a lot of thinking an observation before you solve them. Keeping a journal where you write down clues and do sketches is absolute must for this game. But that' s one of the things that make it so damn good
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

The puzzles didn't make any sense to me, I never got very far.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By freezerr

Myst was a great game. My friend got it when it first came out, and we solved a few puzzles. A couple years ago, I picked it back up, with Riven and Myst III. I enjoyed all 3 of them thoroughly, although I found Myst III to be more awkward and lost interest. It's aged very well, IMO. The puzzles are still quite hard, and satisfying when you solve them. As someone mentioned, the rerelease of the original as realMyst has more modern graphics (if you require that).