Does anyone notice the hypocrisy from this?

majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By majormoe

Every video game related forum user are saying Halo: Reach is "just da same game", and complaining how it lacks innovation for the franchise. HOWEVER, they always complain how Splinter Cell: Conviction strays too far aways from its roots. Also, Super Mario Galaxy 2 didn't innovate anything for the series and it was essentially an refined Super Mario Galaxy one, but I hear no one complaining about it. Hell, Team Fortress 2 isn't that much different from Team Fortress: Classic, apart with TF2's cartoony art style, but it's a great game none the less. Almost every video game sequel or prequel just stick to the formula that made it successful, but expand upon them and refine them. You know, make it feel familiar and yet fresh at the same time. Halo: Reach does the same thing, and it's the finest game in the series for it. 

So am I the only one who is noticing the hypocrisy from all the people who backlash at Halo: Reach? 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

People's Opinions 

Don't worry about it and enjoy the games you love. 

The End

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fwylo

No Caption Provided
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By cookiemonster

Totally agree with you. I didn't enjoy SMG 2 too because they didn't change it enough. I could have just played the first one again instead of spending money on the sequel. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I can't speak for Reach, but Yoshi was a big enough addition to warrant loving it. Also, yea, hypocrisy abounds, like that Reach thing and the Other M thing, and maybe the Castlevania thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's fun to hate on Halo and its fans, really it is. Just accept that we hate you, embrace the hate. Let it feed you, sustain you.

majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By majormoe
@CookieMonster said:
" Totally agree with you. I didn't enjoy SMG 2 too because they didn't change it enough. I could have just played the first one again instead of spending money on the sequel.  "
I actually liked Super Mario Galaxy 2 A LOT. Found it much better than the first game. I does what a good sequel should do, refine and polish the game to perfection.
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akrid

There's a big difference between Halo Reach and SMG2: some people actually craved more of Galaxy as soon as the credits rolled, whereas Halo had 4 iterations already.

In any case don't give it another thought. Any negative criticism tends to float above all the praise, it's only a small amount of people who are complaining.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

Mario is more drawn out so people forget. Halo has been everywhere for the past decade so people think act like it's more repetitive than it is.

majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By majormoe
@Akrid said:
"  There's a big difference between Halo Reach and SMG2: some people actually craved more of Galaxy as soon as the credits rolled, whereas Halo had 4 iterations already.   In any case don't give it another thought. Any negative criticism tends to float above all the praise, it's only a small amount of people who are complaining. "
Super Mario Galaxy wasn't a complete departure from Super Mario 64, but it was an excellent game and was way better than the disappointing (though pretty good) Super Mario Sunshine. Halo: Reach overhauls the gameplay and fixes all the problems that plagued the past games. Except for story, it's still shitty. The only good thing from the story was Jorge and the ending. The only Halo games that had above average storytelling were Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 3: ODST. 

@Axxol
said:
" People's Opinions  Don't worry about it and enjoy the games you love.  The End "
Just because they have different opinions, doesn't mean they can be excused from criticism.
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cookiemonster
@majormoe: ah well, I guess we just have different opinions of a good sequel. I thought SMG was amazing, but I would have like to have seen more changes than the inclusion of Yoshi in the sequel.
Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Chirag4
@Axxol said:
" People's Opinions  Don't worry about it and enjoy the games you love.  The End "
Hell to the YES.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By EpicSteve

Games can be the exact same thing as its predecessor and not stray too far away from its roots like New Super Mario Bros, which was a high-quality title that tickled everyone's nostalgia. However, some games like Dynasty Warriors stick to the same design philosophy. The difference is, Dynasty Warriors sucks. It's a matter of quality. Hypothetically, Activision could have release Tony Hawk every year and not change a damn thing. But, something about the Tony Hawk formula grows repetitive without drastic change. Some concepts like simply Mario age well while other concepts like Guitar Hero grow tired. 

For people thinking Call of Duty doesn't change enough, what if it was a 3rd person platformer? It doesn't make sense. Ultimately, franchises are stuck in a certain genre for a reason. You don't go and make Friday the 13th a romantic comedy. No matter the case, either of these issues come up when the player is unhappy about the quality of the particular game. If Dynasty Warriors was the highest caliber game in the industry despite not changing the hack and slash gameplay, we would all be lining up for midnight releases.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster
@majormoe said: 
@Axxol said:
Just because they have different opinions, doesn't mean they can be excused from criticism. "
I didn't say they should be excused from criticism.
stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stinky

its not hypocrisy, its a fine line. 
and that line is subjective, all sequels need to walk it.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By tebbit
@majormoe said:
" @CookieMonster said:
" Totally agree with you. I didn't enjoy SMG 2 too because they didn't change it enough. I could have just played the first one again instead of spending money on the sequel.  "
I actually liked Super Mario Galaxy 2 A LOT. Found it much better than the first game. I does what a good sequel should do, refine and polish the game to perfection. "
Oh, but it was so much less cohesive than the original game!!!! .... but, I could go on for a while about that. 

HALO REACH EH IS PRETTY COOL GUY WHO DOESN'T AFRAID OF ANYTHING
majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By majormoe
@Axxol said:

" @majormoe said: 

@Axxol said:
Just because they have different opinions, doesn't mean they can be excused from criticism. "
I didn't say they should be excused from criticism. "
Well, I can see where you're coming from. But people can have an opinion, but their views can be objectively wrong and to say "it's my opinion" isn't going to cut it. Seriously, it would be wrong for someone to say "the Godfather movies are terrible", now would it? 
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Branthog

I've been thinking about this recently, too. People seem to always complain that games are just the same as the last one and the one before that or that they've gone too far astray from the rest of the series. I've certainly felt both ways about different games before. I suspect it's on a case by case basis and it's probably very difficult for a developer to gauge. Some things you just want a lot more of with a few improvements. Others attempting the same thing may come across as just an uncreative money-grab. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Some series can stay the same forever and they'll still be fun. Some get tiring after two or three releases though.

I don't know anything about Halo though, since I've never played it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster
@majormoe said:

Well, I can see where you're coming from. But people can have an opinion, but their views can be objectively wrong and to say "it's my opinion" isn't going to cut it. Seriously, it would be wrong for someone to say "the Godfather movies are terrible", now would it?  "  
Who are we to say what opinions are wrong? Not everyone is going to like The Godfather and not everyone is going to like Halo: Reach. 
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@majormoe said:
" Every video game related forum user are saying Halo: Reach is "just da same game", and complaining how it lacks innovation for the franchise. HOWEVER, they always complain how Splinter Cell: Conviction strays too far aways from its roots. Also, Super Mario Galaxy 2 didn't innovate anything for the series and it was essentially an refined Super Mario Galaxy one, but I hear no one complaining about it. Hell, Team Fortress 2 isn't that much different from Team Fortress: Classic, apart with TF2's cartoony art style, but it's a great game none the less. Almost every video game sequel or prequel just stick to the formula that made it successful, but expand upon them and refine them. You know, make it feel familiar and yet fresh at the same time. Halo: Reach does the same thing, and it's the finest game in the series for it.  So am I the only one who is noticing the hypocrisy from all the people who backlash at Halo: Reach?  "
Well Splinter Cell is a game series, based on series of books, which is about a Covert Ops agent called Sam Fisher.  Its basic gameplay mechanic is stealth.  Once you subtract that it's no longer Splinter Cell in any context other than name, which is why people make the comment that Conviction 'strays too far from its roots'.  TF2 is leaps and bounds from Team Fortress, if you disagree with that then you either haven't played TF in a long time or at all.  On the subject of Super Mario Galaxy you're probably correct as it is basically a refined experience of the first game.

Now onto Halo : Reach.  It's a good game, let me get that out of the way.  However, what a lot of people are disappointed with is the fact that it didn't push into enough new ground for being the last Bungie made Halo.  That said, they did leave a great legacy in the much more capable engine it ships with so it's likely that future Halo (343 Industries made) games will be able to innovate in ways that Reach didn't.

Oh yes and opinions.
majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By majormoe
@SeriouslyNow said:

" @majormoe said:

" Every video game related forum user are saying Halo: Reach is "just da same game", and complaining how it lacks innovation for the franchise. HOWEVER, they always complain how Splinter Cell: Conviction strays too far aways from its roots. Also, Super Mario Galaxy 2 didn't innovate anything for the series and it was essentially an refined Super Mario Galaxy one, but I hear no one complaining about it. Hell, Team Fortress 2 isn't that much different from Team Fortress: Classic, apart with TF2's cartoony art style, but it's a great game none the less. Almost every video game sequel or prequel just stick to the formula that made it successful, but expand upon them and refine them. You know, make it feel familiar and yet fresh at the same time. Halo: Reach does the same thing, and it's the finest game in the series for it.  So am I the only one who is noticing the hypocrisy from all the people who backlash at Halo: Reach?  "

Well Splinter Cell is a game series, based on series of books, which is about a Covert Ops agent called Sam Fisher.  Its basic gameplay mechanic is stealth.  Once you subtract that it's no longer Splinter Cell in any context other than name, which is why people make the comment that Conviction 'strays too far from its roots'.  TF2 is leaps and bounds from Team Fortress, if you disagree with that then you either haven't played TF in a long time or at all.  On the subject of Super Mario Galaxy you're probably correct as it is basically a refined experience of the first game.

Now onto Halo : Reach.  It's a good game, let me get that out of the way.  However, what a lot of people are disappointed with is the fact that it didn't push into enough new ground for being the last Bungie made Halo.  That said, they did leave a great legacy in the much more capable engine it ships with so it's likely that future Halo (343 Industries made) games will be able to innovate in ways that Reach didn't.

Oh yes and opinions. "
I can see where you're getting at, and you make good points unlike people who say "OMG! Halo Reach AROUND! Hur hur hur! I r so clver". I'm in a disagreement here. Team Fotress 2 was different and the same. It took all of the ingredients from the original and then; overhauled them, tweaked them, and put in a couple of new ideas. It was different in plenty of ways, but it was still Team Fortress, which isn't a bad thing at all. In fact, Team Fortress 2 is my favorite online multi-player FPS of all time, and no game is as nearly as balanced as TF2. 

Halo: Reach does the same thing, and it does a fine job at it. I think Bungie just wanted to refine the entire experience, fix all the problems that plagued the previous games in the series... except for the story. It also does a good job of adding some new stuff, such as armor abilities and a short but sweet space combat segment for example. It may not have felt as "fresh" as the last three games (Not counting ODLC or Wars), it's a lot more fun to play. If  I was stuck on an Island, and had to choose which Halo game I could only play on that island, I would easily pick Reach. I believe Reach was a terrific end for the series, not perfect, but a very good end none the less. It doesn't really pushes the envelope, as much as it polishes it to perfection.

I actually thought it had the best single-player since Combat Evolved. It doesn't has as many memorable moments, but it doesn't have repetitive indoor corridors or the Libary. It's multi-player is better than Halo 3, primarily for one reason: DRM > Battle Rifle. I really, really hated the Battle Rifle from Halo 3. 

While we all have opinions, I can still admit that something is good while not liking them, or something is bad but liking it. For example, I don't like Morrowind, but I admit that it's a well done RPG. I personally liked Army of Two, but I can admit that it was bad. 
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gargantuan

People always complains on the internet while the silent majority just enjoys playing games.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Choi
@S0ndor said:
" It's fun to hate on Halo and its fans, really it is. Just accept that we hate you, embrace the hate. Let it feed you, sustain you. "
Hahahaa, it goes so well with your Darth Vader picture =) 

Don't really care what people on the internet say, just enjoy, it's your money, your time, and your entertainment. More power to ya... 
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By LackingSaint

I will say this; there's been 5 Halo games with the same gameplay formula; There's been 2 Team Fortresses, each 10 years apart, and 2 SMG's.

majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By majormoe
@LackingSaint said:
" I will say this; there's been 5 Halo games with the same gameplay formula; There's been 2 Team Fortresses, each 10 years apart, and 2 SMG's. "
One of out those 5 Halo games was just an expansion pack, and Halo 2 did make plenty of drastic changes to the formula, while maintaining the core Halo gameplay. While there has been two Super Mario Galaxies, it's gameplay still derives from Super Mario 64. It's core gameplay hasn't changed, it just overhauled it. Point is, they're all great games. The sequels just improved and kept refining the formula, but I ill say that I Halo: CE did have a better campaign than 2 and 3.
Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By shivermetimbers

The industry lives and thrives on sequels. Any changes they do to the sequel will piss off fans and if something hasn't changed, people will be pissed. It's a lose-lose.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Axxol said:
This.

And if people are hellbent on making their opinions heard on a forum, I just close the tab in my browser.
Problem solved.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't want to even get started.
I'll just say yes, absolutely, the entire industry and it's community is packed to bursting with hypocrisy and double standards on every level.

The only thing you can do is ignore it and enjoy yourself.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ajamafalous
@Axxol said:
I'm going to turn this into a haiku.

Peoples' opinions
Do not worry about them
Enjoy games you love.