Doki Doki Literature Club is more than just a spooky game

PurpleShyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By PurpleShyGuy

And the Plus version double downs on its true message.

Spoilers ahead

Search Doki Doki Literature Club on YouTube and you’ll likely see a bunch of videos with your usual shocked face complete with a title such as “SCARIEST DATING SIM EVER?!” and maybe a Photoshopped blood-splatter effect if you’re lucky. A cute bouncy anime dating sim that descends into psychological horror, it was always destined to be stream fodder. But DDLC's horror goes beyond cheap jump scares, in fact, the one legitimate jump scare only comes up if you are streaming it, almost as if to say, “this is what you came for right?” The game is the polar opposite to something like Five Nights at Freddy’s, in which a slow unnerving atmosphere takes the lead over having a thing jump out at the screen and go boo.

DDLC’s horror is more about making a point rather than hitting you with an adrenaline rush, and that point is the suffocating nature of a mental illness. When suffering from cases of extreme anxiety or depression, there is a loss of control over your life, and the game mirrors that feeling in its design. DDLC masquerades as a dating sim, so naturally we expect some degree of control over our choices, in fact, one of the selling points of a dating sim is choice, the choice of picking who to pursue. Initially this is the case, with you getting all cozy with either Sayori, Yuri or Natsuki, but Monika is strangely exempt – that’s your first clue that something is up.

As the usual anime tropes start to peel away and the happy-go-lucky childhood friend Sayori reveals her love for the protagonist along with her major depression, you are given a choice on whether to accept her love or tell her that she will always be your dearest friend. Either one isn’t a great option for someone who just expressed their suicidal thoughts moments before their love, and unfortunately there is no “you need professional help” choice. Whatever you pick, the same result happens, that being Sayori taking her own life. The game will also try to make it seem like the alternative choice was the way to go, as if to rub salt into the wound.

Many would call the scene where you find Sayori’s lifeless body the point where the horror hits, but for me, it was seeing a character slowly lose all stability in their life. If you do reciprocate Sayori’s feelings, she is distraught that her depression isn’t suddenly “fixed” by her crush’s words, which shows how little guidance she has been given on her condition. And watching someone just spiral into despair like that is as devastatingly heartbreaking as it is fucking terrifying. As the game progresses the illusion of choice is slowly removed, and you begin your fourth wall-breaking decent into the game’s second and third act. But the takeaway isn’t that DDLC has a bunch of scary things happen, it is that a lot of effort has been put into making you care about the characters.

Sayori’s depression, Yuri’s anxiety, Natsuki’s inferiority complex and Monika’s derealisation, these aspects might resonate with people who’ve had similar experiences. DDLC presents you with the usual anime archetypes, only to twist them into something more melancholy. For instance, someone who appears adorably shy on the outside like Yuri, might be tearing themselves apart with second guesses and worst-case scenarios on the inside. DDLC is about understanding and empathy, and this is made more evident with the side stories the new Plus version comes bundled with.

I'm also writing a 200-page thesis on how Natsuki's relationship with shadow people might mean she is linked to the underworld.
I'm also writing a 200-page thesis on how Natsuki's relationship with shadow people might mean she is linked to the underworld.

Taking place outside the main story of DDLC, you get to see how the infamous club was formed, as well as see the various relationships of the its members begin. If you’re looking for the same bizarre and unnerving dread that the game is known for, then you’re going to be disappointed. These stories are more about the characters dealing with their problems in a positive way, with writing that can come across as pretty preachy at times, but I understand that the team wanted to do something a bit more uplifting after the existential nightmare that came prior.

Though I was a little let down that some of the heavier themes don’t appear at all, with the only exception being Sayori’s suicidal depression. Yuri’s self-harming is absent, Natsuki’s abusive home life is removed too, and Monika’s derealisation is swapped for perfectionism. I was eager to see these aspects explored and perhaps come to some sort of resolution, but alas, they are never touched upon. And the non-canoness of these stories was perhaps a way to avoid Monika’s hope to grow the club at the end coming across as tragically naive, after all, we all know what happens when the fifth member is introduced. I wouldn't say that these stories are essential, but they do act as an excuse to see the cast interact with each other under less hellish circumstances.

DDLC’s last commentary is on our relationship with fictional characters, with the most direct example being Monika’s desire to break free from the game and spend their life with the player, the actual player. And we also get Yuri and Natsuki expressing their wish of being able to spend time with the people that reside within their favourite fiction. After all, fictional characters don’t just come from nowhere, the good ones express a certain feeling born from the writer themselves, one that you yourself might be dealing with. In DDLC, these cutesy anime girls act as a bridge of sorts connecting you to Dan Salvato’s thoughts.

And if I’m being honest, DDLC was the first step in admitting to myself that I had mental issues, and it began my journey to seek support. While games or other media about mental health shouldn’t be used as a substitute for professional help, they can sometimes aid us in understanding what these often confusing and frightening feelings even look like in the first place.

And sometimes they fuck up deceptions of mental health real bad, like in the Medium.

MOST UNDERSTANDING GAME EVER!?!
MOST UNDERSTANDING GAME EVER!?!
AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By AV_Gamer

I keep hearing about this game, and I have it on Steam, but I never seem able to get to it. Maybe its time I really start playing it. I saw School Days, the Anime and thought the ending was... interesting. It seems this game has a similar theme, minus the Hentai of the School Days games.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think I've talked about this on this site before, but I found the original game to be done in very poor taste. I was left feeling that any depiction of mental health issues the game attempted were thrown away in the end and used purely to set up a cliché horror video game narrative, and despite the claims of it being a subversive dating sim, falls right into the yandere trope.

Even if those depictions of metal health are done well, using it as set up for horror will always sour my experience with something. I had similar issues with Evil Within 2, which was way worse with it's depiction of metal health, in that it didn't even attempt to portray psychopathy as a disorder and instead portrayed it as some spooky nebulous evil. If I remember correctly, both games came out at right about the same time, and I played them both back to back, and was just left with a double whammy of being so personally off-put by those games.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SethMode

@brian_: I will say that I overall really enjoyed DDLC, but this is a really great point that made me rexamine the nature of horror in the context of this game. Thank you so much for contributing.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sethmode: I don't remember how much I've said about the game in the past here, I think I've only talked about it once in relation to some other topic, so this may or may not be something I've already said. I'm not really sure. I don't like talking about this game too much, cause I know people do like it, and do identify with it, and I feel like my thoughts on the game could be taken as me saying that people shouldn't do that, which I don't attend to imply.

But I did think the initial set up of reexamineing the typical bubbly anime girl as someone covering up their depression was really interesting and though provoking. It's just that I find everything after her death scene completely undermines all that in order to shift into telling a horror story. Which, again, is also just really off putting to me personally.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: I think you're 100% right. I hadn't really looked at any posts about this game until now, so maybe you had posted before...but you're right... It kind of forces you into this meta misconception and then it sort of violates its own unspoken rules. I don't think it is a bad game and it has some real novel ideas, but like, all of the deaths were just....exploitative now is how I think about them? In the moment I was HOLY SHIT! but you put a good, detailed, finer point on it.

I was so caught up in the meta and horror and interactivity of it all that it just kind of whizzed right by me.

franzlska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I remember there being some criticism of DDLC's treatment of mental health/illness being less than great, and I think brian summarized it pretty well, but it is interesting to hear that it helped you in some way, even with the acknowledgement that it makes some missteps.

Part of me almost felt the the Plus edition of the game would be a good opportunity for them to flesh those details out, addressing those topics outside of the major shock value moments, so it's a bit disappoint to hear that isn't the case, even if it's not too surprising. I haven't looked much into Plus myself, does it change much about the main story? Or is it mostly about adding side stories?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@brian_: Put it into words better than I could have! I've had this conversation in real life with many of my friends, and this game really left me feeling pretty rotten by the end, and not for reasons the game intended. It does a twist-twist-twist, where the dating sim turns into a real and hard examination of mental illness, and then twists again to become a meta-horror game. It uses these mental illnesses as a way to disarm your brain to further narrative shakeups and then tosses them aside to focus on something else entirely without resolving any of them.

PurpleShyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PurpleShyGuy

@franzlska: Outside the side stories there really isn’t that much. The main story is pretty much identical other than a few visual changes.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: That, at least to me, is the biggest offense. We're just told something was basically turned up to 11 and then we just move one. It's honestly a bit bizarre considering the slow burn and overall...mostly okay? usage of mental illness in the story? Then it just hits the gas into basically" these ladies be crazy y'all" territory.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I think it's a fascinating decision to put it out on consoles and essentially neuter probably the only interestingly executed part of what is otherwise a fairly rote story in the wider realm of visual novels. I do wonder if the name recognition will carry well enough now that they're charging for this edition.

Regardless of that, it's great to read that playing the game had a real positive impact on you!