• 58 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Was just surfin' the EA UK forums for some insight on BF:BC 2 and MoH Beta, when I came across EA Sports Cricket 10... 

Hahahahahahaha. Wait... What? Yeah - it's EA Sports Cricket 10. Dude - this is some crazy shit. In all my years of gaming, I've never come across a Cricket game. It didn't occur to me, that most sports might have their own videogame adaptions. Wow - EA Sports Cricket 10. That's outlandish. 

Anybody playing niche sport videogames? Enlighten me please and post a youtube video or something. Would never have guessed such a thing existed. Next thing I know there's a Brazilian Fart Fetish music game with 'Big Fat Booty' controller, farting at command... I would never know it existed! 
dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By dipstick
@Seppli: I don't think your realize how big of a thing cricket actually is. "   Next thing I know there's a Brazilian Fart Fetish music game with big booty controller, farting at command... I would never know it existed! " I assure you that Cricket is far more popular then a "   Brazilian Fart Fetish"
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Captain_Insano

I don't think that Cricket is a 'niche' game, just because it is not popular in America doesn't mean that it is not significant worldwide. It is one of the most popular sports in England, Australia, NZ, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, South Africa etc.

There have been quite a few cricket games over the years, they're not quite yearly franchises but they have been pretty consistent. That said, these games are not near the quality of Madden or Fifa but cricket is a difficult game to recreate accurately. A 'niche' game would be something like 'Extreme Curling 2010'

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Seppli: There have been a whole lot of cricket video games. It's an interesting sport. I'm not sure why you're so surprised, and it certainly cannot be considered a "niche" sport. Why, the first ever international game of it was played in the United States.

EDIT: I mean, really. There have been over ten made by EA, not to count the ones by Codemasters and other developers. I'm not hating on you, I'm really not. Your surprise at seeing a cricket game is just... bizarre. It's like an Englishman being surprised that there are ice hockey games. Common knowledge, no?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Cricket isn't really a niche sport in a lot of parts of the world. It's extremely mainstream in the UK, and plenty of other places e.g. Australia, India, Pakistan etc. And there have been many, many cricket games. EA's cricket series is very average. Codemasters series of cricket games (Which used to be Brian Lara Cricket, and the most recent iteration was Ashes Cricket) is fantastic though, and I've been playing them since the original Brian Lara Cricket on the PS1.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Cricket's huge dude. In India it's the most popular sport, and it's one of the most popular in Australia and the UK. Totally makes sense for EA to make a game of it. There are hardly any copies of Nascar games here in the UK, there wouldn't be any Cricket games in the US.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli

Well - to a continental European there's nothing more outlandish than Cricket. Even a Polo videogame would not have surprised me more... 

Now if you link me a video of EA Sports Polo 10... oh boy. I think I'd break my funnybone.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Captain_Insano
@ZanzibarBreeze: yeah I was pretty shocked by the fact that the OP considered it a 'niche' sport. More countries and people play cricket then American Football. Not hating on the dude for not knowing it but it is pretty surprising.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@MattyFTM:  How was Ashes Cricket? Heard mixed things about it, but there seem to be big gaps in the release schedules for cricket games. Wasn't EA's last one around 2008? So seeing a next-gen cricket game was kinda like out of the blue.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seppli

You guys blow my mind. People and their sports. You never really know somebody until you know their sports. 

Come to think of it - is there a 'EA Sports Royal Foxhunt 10'? I really loved hunting in RD:R. I think a well done foxhunt game would be right down my alley.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zonerover

As someone from a cricketing country, it seems a little insulting to hear another outsider (American?) describe cricket as niche. Its definately doesn't have the global reach of many other sports, but arguably cricket is more internationally recognised than baseball. Anyhow, the game is looking pretty good and am happy to see a return for a cricket game from EA even if I'll never play it. If there was a next gen rugby game though...

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dipstick
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @Dipstick: There have been a whole lot of cricket video games. It's an interesting sport. I'm not sure why you're so surprised, and it certainly cannot be considered a "niche" sport. Why, the first ever international game of it was played in the United States.

EDIT: I mean, really. There have been over ten made by EA, not to count the ones by Codemasters and other developers. I'm not hating on you, I'm really not. Your surprise at seeing a cricket game is just... bizarre. It's like an Englishman being surprised that there are ice hockey games. Common knowledge, no? "
I believe you misread my post. I was saying that he shouldn't be surprised that there is a cricket game out.
DEllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By DEllen

I want them to make a rugby game so much. It's probably at least on par with cricket in terms of popularity. Well maybe when the rugby world cup comes in a couple years time they'll make one.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Dipstick said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @Dipstick: There have been a whole lot of cricket video games. It's an interesting sport. I'm not sure why you're so surprised, and it certainly cannot be considered a "niche" sport. Why, the first ever international game of it was played in the United States.

EDIT: I mean, really. There have been over ten made by EA, not to count the ones by Codemasters and other developers. I'm not hating on you, I'm really not. Your surprise at seeing a cricket game is just... bizarre. It's like an Englishman being surprised that there are ice hockey games. Common knowledge, no? "
I believe you misread my post. I was saying that he shouldn't be surprised that there is a cricket game out. "
Totally my bad, I meant to reply to the original poster. Has been edited accordingly. :)
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@DEllen: See, now that is a dumb sport. That's just people running into each other, that is. Literally. It's a copy of soccer, except it's a contact sport. You take away, like, two of its rules, and it becomes soccer with dudes just barging into each other. On the other hand, I can see how that might be enjoyable in a video game format... for a little while.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seppli
@Captain_Insano said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze: yeah I was pretty shocked by the fact that the OP considered it a 'niche' sport. More countries and people play cricket then American Football. Not hating on the dude for not knowing it but it is pretty surprising. "

There's just zero exposition around my parts. Germany, Austria, France, Italy and so forth - all the neighboring countries to Switzerland haven't gotten any links to Cricket whatsoever. Same goes for the countries from where most immigrants come from (like Turkey and Eastern European countries). We have never been part of the British Commonwealth, so British cultural influences are not prevelant. But yeah - them Brits once had half the world at the balls. Quite literally when it comes to Cricket it seems. Apologizing for my ignorance. 

Now about that Brazilian Fart Fetish game.... there is no such thing - or is there?
Taborlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Taborlin

I am shocked! :P  I kid 
I play brian lara and ashes cricket games with my mate quite a lot, they're quite good.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Seppli said:

" @Captain_Insano said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze: yeah I was pretty shocked by the fact that the OP considered it a 'niche' sport. More countries and people play cricket then American Football. Not hating on the dude for not knowing it but it is pretty surprising. "

Now about that Brazilian Fart Fetish game.... there no such thing - or is there? "
Have you seen their adult films? Upon closer observation we soon learn that there is one of everything in Brazil. Any country where the MSX is still mainstream must be feared.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@ZanzibarBreeze said:

" @MattyFTM:  How was Ashes Cricket? Heard mixed things about it, but there seem to be big gaps in the release schedules for cricket games. Wasn't EA's last one around 2008? So seeing a next-gen cricket game was kinda like out of the blue. "

I unfortunately couldn't buy it (cash flow problems) but from the little I played of it with friends it seemed solid. And yeah, Cricket games generally don't follow a Madden/FIFA release schedule. And I like it. There is just no need to to release a game every year with the only major difference being a roster update. Although Codemasters seem to be trying to get into that sort of release schedule, with International Cricket 2010 due out this year, just a year after Ashes Cricket.

@DEllen said:

" I want them to make a rugby game so much. It's probably at least on par with cricket in terms of popularity. Well maybe when the rugby world cup comes in a couple years time they'll make one. "

EA did do rugby games for a while. The most recent one was Rugby 08 I think. I played the first Rugby game (which I think came out in 2002) and it wasn't all that great. But I'm not a huge rugby fan, and I'm sure they've made huge improvements since then anyway.

@ZanzibarBreeze said:

" @DEllen: See, now that is a dumb sport. That's just people running into each other, that is. Literally. It's a copy of soccer, except it's a contact sport. You take away, like, two of its rules, and it becomes soccer with dudes just barging into each other. On the other hand, I can see how that might be enjoyable in a video game format... for a little while. "

Yeah, Rugby, invented in the early 19th Century copied "soccer" as you call it (IT'S FOOTBALL GODDAMN IT!!!), which was invented much later. I'm personally not a big rugby fan, but football copied rugby, not the other way round.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@MattyFTM said:

Yeah, Rugby, invented in the early 19th Century copied "soccer" as you call it (IT'S FOOTBALL GODDAMN IT!!!), which was invented much later. I'm personally not a big rugby fan, but football copied rugby, not the other way round. "

" Association football", baby. Excuse me as I try to justify calling it soccer by pointing out association. Maybe that's where " soccer" comes from? Abbreviation of the word association, actually originating in England. :D Also, I assume you meant "rugby copied football" in your last sentence? You said it the other way 'round.
andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By andrela
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @DEllen: See, now that is a dumb sport. That's just people running into each other, that is. Literally. It's a copy of soccer, except it's a contact sport. You take away, like, two of its rules, and it becomes soccer with dudes just barging into each other. On the other hand, I can see how that might be enjoyable in a video game format... for a little while. "

Rugby being my favourite sport, both to watch and play, I feel the need to address this.

'Soccer' (football damnit) is an incredibly boring sport to watch, it being one of the few sports where a game can end with a nil all draw. I've been watching the world cup and was pretty disgusted at how everytime two opposing players brushed off eachother, both of them would drop to the floor as if struck by a hammerblow. Then wthenever an official makes a decision against a team, the offending sides players start complaining to the ref, questioning his decisions, if a player did bullshit like that in rugby, he would get his team sent back 10 yards from where they were.

Rugby is one of the most entertaining sports to watch, it has a great flow to it, although changes to the rules in recent times have resulted in what some people call aerial ping pong where it is more advantagous to kick the ball down the pitch than to run with it. Although this tactic has become predictable and most good players can kick from hand and have the pace to retain posession. I heard good things about the 2008 rugby game but it still wasn't up there with the likes of fifa in terms of quality.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@ZanzibarBreeze:  I know we invented the term Soccer, but we also soon realized how dumb it was to shorten "Association Football" to "Soccer" and quickly gave up using it.

And no, I meant football copied rugby. As I said in the post, rugby is an older game than football. How could rugby copy football if rugby was invented before football?
unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By unclejohnny79

What do you mean... wait what? 

cricket is fantastic and is pretty big in some countries and is defiantly my favorite sport

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Andrela:  Well, to each his own, I guess.

I've been surprised at how much of a big deal the fouls have been made at this world cup. I haven't seen any behavior that could be called out of the ordinary. Some of that stuff looks like it actually hurts; it's not like they're wearing shoulder pads or whatever. Soccer is a non-contact sport, obviously. That means zero contact - no contact, ever. Not even shirt pulling. Some seem to have forgotten that. Seen a lot of handballs and tackles from behind, too. If I was the referee out there I'd be whipping the red cards a lot more.
DEllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By DEllen
@MattyFTM:   Yeah I played the previous games and EA seemed to give up as the series progressed, they only really made alterations to the graphics. 

@ZanzibarBreeze:   If rugby is soccer with a few additional rules then should a cricket game exist when there are baseball games around. Surely cricket and baseball are much more similar sports than rugby and football. Anyone who plays rugby or has played rugby would be interested (at the very least) about a new rugby game. The game has a lot of rules and is pretty complex so I can see that it wouldn't appeal to people without any rugby experience. 
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@DEllen said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze:   If rugby is soccer with a few additional rules then should a cricket game exist when there are baseball games around. Surely cricket and baseball are much more similar sports than rugby and football. Anyone who plays rugby or has played rugby would be interested (at the very least) about a new rugby game. The game has a lot of rules and is pretty complex so I can see that it wouldn't appeal to people without any rugby experience.  "

Well, baseball and cricket have marked differences - teams, pitching, batting; a lot of differences. As far as I can tell (and I really am no expert, I'll admit) rugby has two different rules from soccer (barring contact, obviously):

• You can hold the ball
  • You can't pass forward

Take those two rules away and it becomes soccer. There's a goal to aim for (or you can cross the ball over the line, sure). But there are throw-ins, there are formations. If you were to wipe those two rules it would just be a contact version of soccer. Personally, I would be more interested in watching a contact version of soccer with no hands. But, as I say, that's just me. To each his own. :)
andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By andrela
@ZanzibarBreeze said: I was talking to a friend of mine about both players going down after contact is made. Apparently players are trained to go down at the drop of a hat because they may have a small chance of getting a penalty but now whats happening is both players go down and neither one gets up and walks away because to the ref, the player that gets up and walks away is the one who commited a foul against another player and so will be penalised.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Andrela said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze said: I was talking to a friend of mine about both players going down after contact is made. Apparently players are trained to go down at the drop of a hat because they may have a small chance of getting a penalty but now whats happening is both players go down and neither one gets up and walks away because to the ref, the player that gets up and walks away is the one who commited a foul against another player and so will be penalised. "
That sounds to me like it's quite an exaggeration. Actually, a lot of players just get right back up. The U.S. didn't tend to spend a lot of time lying down, Japan, South Korea, North Korea. Greece. Italy is always considered a big offender but in their games they were actually getting fouled quite a bit - arms flying in the air while they were contesting headers, et cetera. And I think the referees are of quite a good class this time around. Most of their decisions have been right on the money - especially the linesmen. No blatant offsides or anything... yet. So, yeah, I don't quite agree with this sentiment that's also being expressed in the official world cup thread (which is probably where this discussion should go, to be honest). :)
andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By andrela
@ZanzibarBreeze said:  Aye, we're destroying all possibility of any discussion on cricket (god forbid)
Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Grimace

I can't wait to see the thread on the next Australian Rules Football game that's coming out.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By DevWil

i'll go ahead and be another person saying that cricket is pretty big outside of north america and there are a good many cricket games already.  not EA's first.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vorbis

Cricket is only popular to the few countries who are good at it. It's always on TV here and it's played alot at the local sports club. Not that I have any interest in it, but it's always good to hear when your country manages wins at something... even if it's Cricket.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Jimbo

Cricket is probably the second most popular team sport in the world, after football.  So not exactly 'niche'...

@MattyFTM:  Rugby is based on football.

SavUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SavUK

Wow, cricket can never be classed as being niche. I have fond memories of the Brian Lara games back in the day. Tried the Codemasters ones and couldn't get into them. I can't watch real life cricket and don't follow it at all, but enjoyed the games. 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Jimbo said:
@MattyFTM:  Rugby is based on football. "
How can it be? Rugby is an older game. Rugby was invented years before football was.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jimbo
@MattyFTM:  No it wasn't.  It's called 'Rugby football' because it's a variation of football.  You know where the name 'Rugby' comes from right?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Jimbo said:
" @MattyFTM:  No it wasn't.  It's called 'Rugby football' because it's a variation of football.  You know where the name 'Rugby' comes from right? "
No, Association Football is called Association Football because it's a variation of Rugby Football. Any knowledgeable source about the history of Rugby and Football will tell you that Rugby was invented in the early 19th Century and Football was invented in the mid 19th Century. 

And of course I know the name Rugby comes from both the school and town it was invented in.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

The story I heard was that some dude got frustrated at not being able to handle the ball, so he just picked it up and ran with it; that's why I thought rugby was based on soccer. Could be wrong, probably is.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@ZanzibarBreeze said:

" The story I heard was that some dude got frustrated at not being able to handle the ball, so he just picked it up and ran with it; that's why I thought rugby was based on soccer. Could be wrong, probably is. "

That's the common myth about a schoolboy called William Webb-Ellis. It is a completely untrue urban myth.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@MattyFTM said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze said:

" The story I heard was that some dude got frustrated at not being able to handle the ball, so he just picked it up and ran with it; that's why I thought rugby was based on soccer. Could be wrong, probably is. "

That's the common myth about a schoolboy called William Webb-Ellis. It is a completely untrue urban myth. "
Learn something new every day, huh.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jimbo
@MattyFTM: Yes, it was invented at Rugby School, whilst they were playing football.  

Football was around a long ass time before some dude wrote down the rules of Association Football.  Both Rugby Football and Association Football are named as they are because they are variations of generic football.
jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jim_dandy

MattyFTM's only saying that because his great-great-grandfather was William Webb-Ellis and his family has been trying to hide it ever since.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Feanor

The population of India alone is enough cause to make a Cricket game. 

Instead you should be wondering why they made all those Arena Football games

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By c1337us

Cricket is not exactly niche. The Indian Premier League Twenty20 tournament is now the richest sporting association in the World, it took over the NFL.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Jimbo said:

" @MattyFTM: Yes, it was invented at Rugby School, whilst they were playing football. "

The conspiracy grows deeper with the use of italics! :D

@Feanor said:

" Instead you should be wondering why they made all those Arena Football games "

Is that a diss against indoor soccer? Because indoor soccer is rad, and there can never be enough of those games. There has yet to be a really awesome one, but I haven't played the latest FIFA Street, and those games were basically indoor soccer. See also my idea for Ice Baseball: baseball to be played in an ice hockey rink. Could also be called Baseball: Ice Edition.
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Feanor
@ZanzibarBreeze: No, it's a dis on indoor american football.  It has a bunch of wacky rules, and is filled with washed up college players. It's almost as bad as that trampoline basketball league from a few years ago.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Feanor said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze: No, it's a dis on indoor american football.  It has a bunch of wacky rules, and is filled with washed up college players. It's almost as bad as that trampoline basketball league from a few years ago. "
How have I never heard of this? Hmmm...
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Feanor
@ZanzibarBreeze:   
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShaneDev

They made a game about Gaelic so their is definitely going to be one about Cricket.