Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, why did you use the word "mook?" There are a billion better words than mook.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By aaox

Yeah! All people have equally shootable heads, be it male or female. Sexist guns aren't... Funs.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

YES!  Let's fight to have women be useless and killed indiscriminately!  They shall be pwned for being n00bs!
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Brodehouse: 

You do realize that you prove my point even more, right? Also, put on a shirt.
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Tiwi

"poor yuri here" is not a link

also, no.

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tiwi
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Brodehouse:   You do realize that you prove my point even more, right? Also, put on a shirt. "
i personally would have gone with goons.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@tiwi said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @Brodehouse:   You do realize that you prove my point even more, right? Also, put on a shirt. "
i personally would have gone with goons. "
Precisely! Also, look at him. That guy needs a shirt on. He can't go out like that.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#11  Edited By Jazz

I thought Mooks was the providence of gangster henchmen alone. 
You learn something new everyday

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By bhhawks78

Mook is a racist term for Chinese people, at least that's the only way I've ever heard it.  It's also the name for a Kung fu dummy and basically in Chinese means something like "retard".

eljay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By eljay

How are games like Metal Gear and Uncharted also not accurate for the time period? Maybe you're a better expert on the demographics of terrorist and paramilitary organizations, but from what I hear they're almost entirely composed of male soldiers. Every major military today continues to exclude or restrict female activity in front line engagements.

If you're looking to criticize, you're criticizing the wrong thing. Games are a representation of the societies on which they are based, and I would argue that games like Unreal Tournament, Command & Conquer, and every MMO ever made actually present a more favorable representation of women in combat than what reality actually presents.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By bicycleham
@bhhawks78 said:
" Mook is a racist term for Chinese people, at least that's the only way I've ever heard it.  It's also the name for a Kung fu dummy and basically in Chinese means something like "retard". "
You're thinking of Gook.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

Dead Rising has plenty of no name female zombies...if that counts.

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wordfalling

Borderlands had no normal female enemies but in the General Knoxx DLC the named female ninjas from the Crimson Lance were always accompanied by weaker unnamed female ninjas.

Seems a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with gender.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Insectecutor

The word mook attracted me to this thread. I didn't know what it meant, so I clicked.

No One Lives Forever 2 has exclusively female enemies for the first level or two of the game. It also has a female protagonist though, and I guess you're asking if there are many games that feature the uneasiness of a male protagonist gunning down women.

I also imagine you're talking about straight-up humans not mutants, otherwise games like Bioshock would be an obvious candidate.

PS The Asari aren't women you MORIIONNE!!

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Insectecutor
@Brodehouse: Interesting. There are plenty of games where a female protagonist guns down dudes, but seemingly not the other way around. Double standards, damnit.

Edit: wait, you're right about the Codex. The characters in the game dispute it though. GET YOUR SHIT STRAIGHT BIOWARE.
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What is a mook...oh i see

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wordfalling
@Brodehouse:  It is that PC quandary which makes it easier to just have all or mostly male enemies.  Yes, there could be a 51% / 49% female to male ratio but if a developer truly wanted to go down that route and be representative of the real world then a higher proportion of mooks would be female and paid less then their male mook counterparts. 

Ugh, that's what makes games great, bye bye realism.  How dull you are.
Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Insectecutor
@wordfalling: I heard PC gaming was dead.
wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wordfalling
@Insectecutor:  Naa, it is bound to make a comeback now that the Steam client for OS X is out.
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bhhawks78
@Xolare said:
" @bhhawks78 said:
" Mook is a racist term for Chinese people, at least that's the only way I've ever heard it.  It's also the name for a Kung fu dummy and basically in Chinese means something like "retard". "
You're thinking of Gook. "
No I'm not, Gook is a vietnamese slur, adopted during that war and then applied to basically all asians.  Mook has been a racist chinese term for quiet a while.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#27  Edited By TobyD81

I did a little quick searching for the word "mook." Definitions on Urban Dictionary are varied, but the generally revolve around young, idiotic males. One of the definitions on Wikipedia refers to the mook jung, which in Chinese translates to "wooden dummy." This reference to a wooden practice dummy for martial arts seems to make it even more appropriate to the situation, but hardly racist. I didn't find anything that makes "mook" seem like a slur.
Back to the OP's issue, I remember the female assassins from Half Life, the Amazon warriors and female martial artist boss in Strider, and Roxy and Poison from Final Fight (yes, I reject their sex change as canon.) It seems like when developers put female enemies in a game, it's usually to have an enemy that's faster and more acrobatic than the rest. So are women really more coordinated and agile than men, or why do game developers see them that way?

eljay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By eljay
@TobyD81 said:
It seems like when developers put female enemies in a game, it's usually to have an enemy that's faster and more acrobatic than the rest. So are women really more coordinated and agile than men, or why do game developers see them that way? "
Because that's the easy way to handle differentiating statistics between characters in a game. The males are the big, slow bruisers and the girls are small and quick. It'd be a lot more difficult to justify placing females as the big and slow ones, and the exceptions to this rule are very few (King, Blue Mary, and Charlotte from SNK are all that immediately come to me).
Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ramyun

Yeah I was wondering about this as well and made a thread about it a while back and I'd like to see some female goons or mooks or whatever once in a while. Maybe people are a bit sensitive about shooting females in the face, but for me, even though it's a little weird, if someone tries to shoot me, I'm totally gonna shoot them back.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By c1337us
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, why did you use the word "mook?" There are a billion better words than mook. "
Name them all because I am not convinced.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@Xolare said:
" @bhhawks78 said:
You're thinking of Gook. "
lol epic fail. 
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Mooks are one of the races in the Wizardry series. You just messed my head up big time.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince

Honestly, who cares? The better question is, why is it you want to be able to gun down more women in games?

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JokerSmilez

There was an article about this a while back on Kotaku. Apparently, it has nothing to do with sexism or "violence against women". It has everything to do with using resources both in the development of the game and the running of the game to have 2 separate character models with different move-set parameters, etc.

Games like Fallout and Mass Effect do a better job because it's worth it for them to make the effort when creating their world, story, etc. For most games, it's just worth it.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Brodehouse said:
" @LiquidPrince:  I think women are capable enough to join military/terrorist/criminal organizations and have a player character storm through their base, snapping necks the entire way.  It really makes little difference during gameplay, because a target is a target.  Also, if you're trying to paint me as a misogynist for killing a couple women in a game, let's talk about me being a mass murderer for the amount of dudes I've turned inside out. Thinking about Dragon Age, it features more capable women than most games, and yet almost all unnamed enemies are men.  If we're taking it to heart, there's only one lady in Loghain's troops, Ser Cauthrien, and she's the highest ranking of them all.  It's justified with the darkspawn, as they don't turn women into troops, they do something entirely worse. "
Well, how about you think about it logically. Sure, women can be just as able as men in joing the ranks of higher military, but realistically, how many are there. The ratio of male to female soldiers is heavily skewed towards male.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Brodehouse:  I'm not taking it too seriously. I'm just being logical about it and don't really realize why you think it matters to have more women being gunned down. Wouldn't that be just as bad, if not worse then gunning down men?
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kelbear
@Brodehouse: 

The typical usage of "mook" that I've seen is describing the hordes of generic gangsters that get shot up in John-Woo Hong-Kong Side-ways diving shoot'em up movies. Essentially, it's all those people who only show up in the movie so they can catch a bullet 1-2 seconds after they appear.
donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#41  Edited By donutfever

With Killzone, it's kinda hard to tell.  You never see their face, and they gas mask changes their voice so much that everyone's Vader.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#42  Edited By chstupid

In MGS portable ops theres a bunch of female enemys
LordCraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LordCraven

I remember that the women zombies in Resident Evil 4 were worth twice the points as the men in the merchant's target game.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#45  Edited By TobyD81
@drag said:
" @Insectecutor said:
" @Brodehouse: Interesting. There are plenty of games where a female protagonist guns down dudes, but seemingly not the other way around. Double standards, damnit.  "
That's ... not a double standard, though. That's one standard - that most enemies in games tend to be male regardless of the main character's gender. Because of genre (military stuff, most military people still are male) or developer 'couldn't be bothered to make a female model' laziness.

"
Technological and time limitations aside, I think what Brodehouse might be looking for is equal opportunity for enemies of both genders to be slaughtered. That is, if the developers had the time and the tools to make hordes of X-chromosome cannon fodder, would they?
ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ThePencil

In any life or death, Zombie Apocolapse, Galactic Imperilment, This-shit-just-got-real predicament, I would encourage all us males to do one thing: SAVE THE BEWBS FIRST! Many a Left for Dead game have myself and friends laid dead in order to make sure Zoey gets to the chopper first. Equip a shotgun, save the ovaries!

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By meteora

According to a link posted earlier, it has to do with extra resources needed to make a different skeleton and model for female characters. I think that makes sense, along with other reasons such as the general interests of shooting dudes than women.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By Seppli

Yeah - common misconception. Guns make anyone dangerous. Ever heard of AK-47 wielding somali childsoldiers? Yeah - I'm gonna shoot anyone shooting at me. No exceptions. Also - kickass women aren't uncommon. There are many women more able than me. If they'd come after me, I'd have to defend myself. 

Women can be evil bitches. For example - women are statistically more likely to be racists. I'd have no problems shooting evil racist bitches in the head. I wonder why evil racist bitches aren't more common in videogames. That's right. Because we men love courtisans and whores and hookers. Even Jesus Christ took a whore over just any woman. So clearly most women in games are built for sex. We don't want to hate on women. Sorry. We just want to use you like a tool for sexual relief.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FunExplosions

Been playing some more inFAMOUS recently. And yep... there's one female enemy. And she's a boss. I guess I always noticed this too, but it's kind of odd how little we all tend to think about it. That's a pretty funny little idea you posed for the guys at Naughty Dog, as well. I'm sure they thought of putting women enemies in Uncharted, but to actually sneak up and snap one of their necks would make Drake seem a lot darker. Hmmm...