Epic Game Store download speeds - ok for you?

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tdous

Admittedly this is 50% self-tech support here, but it's been a while since I installed a big game from the Epic store and AC Valhalla is barely breaking 200 B/s and dropping in and out. It's taken 3 hours or so to get 9 of it's 50gb.

It's Windows 10 and there are no firewall restrictions or other security nonsense. I know it isn't my connection - I just tried starting AC III Remastered downloading on Steam to test, as that's also around 50gb, and it's moving along at a steady 1.7 MB/s with no drop outs, which is about as fast as I can get where I am at the moment and is perfectly serviceable.

Also checked that Epic's throttling settings are disabled. Even tried enabling it with a high number to see if there was some sort of weirdness there, but no change.

Just wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience as you get mixed reports on this stuff when you google around.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, it's awful and is a common problem. There are tons of YouTube videos going over the same steps, and I think this is the one that I watched. I think the file config towards the beginning of the video was the part of the steps that worked for me. After doing this, downloads immediately maxed out.

Here's the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psYFiw0Q5c But again, toooooons of videos about this, all saying the same thing, so feel free to find the one you want to watch.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Epic Game store downloads are terrible and seem to want to instal the game at the same time and pauses the download for minutes to do so.

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tdous

@kcin said:

Here's the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psYFiw0Q5c

Dude, thank you! Those .ini files settings did the job. Crazy. Of course since downloads are ditched when you restart the Epic client I need to start over, but it should catch up much more quickly.

I guess I'm still old and stuck in my ways enough that I still google for these things rather than search for a video ;)

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Just tried a few downloads on both EGS and Steam, and they give me about the same speed on both.

I don't know if it's region based or what, but I've never had any problems with the download speed on EGS.

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toxicantidote said:

Just tried a few downloads on both EGS and Steam, and they give me about the same speed on both.

I don't know if it's region based or what, but I've never had any problems with the download speed on EGS.

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if it's regional. I don't remember having a problem before, but like I said it's been a while. So maybe a "local" CDN node is struggling at the moment or something. Even after the ini file fix, though it's so much better it's still half the speed of my Steam test. Thanks for checking though. It's interesting to see how it is out there for different people.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By FacelessVixen

I'm on a 100 up and 100 down plan with my ISP.

I download something on Steam, I get up to 12 MB/s. I'm downloading something on Epid right now, and I'm getting about 11 MB/s on average.

*shrug*

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For me, I don’t have problems with them at the moment.

GhostCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GhostCompany

The same happened with me when I installed a game from apkstick.com. I was thinking that this is only happening to me

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a year old but maybe people from different Geolocations experience this at some point or another, although I can't quite tell as my internet speed is only 10Mbps and I have to stick with it. 😅

I swear, I can't tell what kind of battle strategy Epic games has in mind to take over steam's market share asides from the regular free games. Steam is too much of an all-in-one platform. 🤷‍♂️

JackieCanchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to have a speed of 10 mb/s, I don't know how for you guys, but it's very slow for me, now I live in Europe, the speed here is 100-150mb/s, but it's not 10 times faster, as it should be according to calculations, but 2-3 times faster than 10/c :)