Where the hell is Mario?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By turboman

Laura Croft's story arc was that she had big tits. So number 17 on EW seems perfectly logical.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Barrock said:
" Where the hell is Mario? "
Shit, where the hell are decent game characters? We have a movie character, a pair of tits, a green suit, a Russian movie character, and.....OK, there's actually a decent game character. But what about Andrew Ryan? What about Cecil? Hell, I'd even take some Thighbrush Deepwood love.
fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By fishmicmuffin

That's pretty terrible. Any one of the three that tied for number 93 could have been at 17. Even MChief was better than Lara Croft...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

That's just ridiculous.  Not only do they have questionable taste in game characters, but movie characters as well.  Hancock?  Seriously?

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@Video_Game_King: 
“You fight like a dairy farmer.” 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
@mylifeforAiur: 

"How appropriate. You smell like a cow." Was that it, I can't remember.
Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Aounslaught

Andrew Ryan is easily one of the best video game characters to date. I can see where they were coming from for Nathan Drake. He's alright, but I wouldn't consider him the best. And Kratos would have been a good choice until GoW3 came out. Like so many others believe, Kratos was just a dick by the end of the game. How can you be THAT angry, man?! Also, Tommy Vercetti > Niko Bellic. Though, that's just personal preference, really. Also, Master Chief? Really?
One more thing, please don't tell me that EW actually spelled Lara Croft's name "Laura" Croft...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187
@Barrock said:

I'm assuming that they are going based on "characters created in the last 20 years".  Then again, there's no link to the list, so I don't know if that's the case or not. 

Gonna go hunt a link down to post up. 

*EDIT*  Can't find a link that has the full list, but I did find out that JEAN-LUC PICARD ISN'T ON THE FUCKING LIST!!!  WHAT...THE...FUCK?!  I'm not even a Trek fan.  I fucking HATE Trek.  Nonetheless, THAT IS GODDAMN BLASPHEMY!!! 

But yeah, it seems it's only characters that have been introduced or created in the last 20 years. 

@h83r: Dood, whether we like it or not, Master Chief absolutely deserves to be on that list.  He's been the face of a new generation of gamers, and moreover, he helped revolutionize first-person shooting for consoles.  Above that, he's actually an incredibly deep character, but you have to go beyond just the games to find that out.  Personally, despite my hatred for Halo 3, it would've been a glaring omission if he HADN'T been on the list.
Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aounslaught
@jakob187 said:
@h83r: Dood, whether we like it or not, Master Chief absolutely deserves to be on that list.  He's been the face of a new generation of gamers, and moreover, he helped revolutionize first-person shooting for consoles.  Above that, he's actually an incredibly deep character, but you have to go beyond just the games to find that out.  Personally, despite my hatred for Halo 3, it would've been a glaring omission if he HADN'T been on the list. "
But man. You yourself said that you have to go further than just the games to get more info on back story on the character of Master Chief. I don't believe that should count. If we're talking about a video game character, then the video game in which the character appears in should be the one that gives me most of the information on said character. I'm not saying that having supplemental books is a bad thing. I personally think it's brilliant! But the key word is supplemental.  
Right now, I'm making my way through the Assassin's Creed book, and while sticking to the game's plot pretty heavily, it's giving me little tid-bits here and there that add to my experience. For example, the book tells exactly how Ezio and Cristina[the chick he bangs at the very beginning of the game] met. Is it integral to knowing what Ezio stands for or what happens on his journey through the game? No. Not at all. But to an Assassin's Creed fanatic like myself, I LOVE it. And since I did mention Ezio, I'd just like to say that I'd rather have Ezio on a list like that rather than any other game character mentioned. I would like to see Altair there as well, but let's be honest. As a character, Altair didn't have much story to him.

I also completely agree with what you said about Master Chief being the face of the new generation of gamers and Halo revolutionizing the FPS genre, but that has nothing to do with Master Chief and his persona though. That just shows how hard Bungie worked on the game itself. And, let's be honest. Halo wasn't popularized because of its story. It became as big as it is because of its top-notch multiplayer and the game mechanics it introduced to the gaming world that were so revolutionary and innovative. I have immense amounts of respect and admiration for the Bungie guys that pretty much put the gaming culture on the mainstream map. But as far as playing Halo goes, I'm not a fan at all. While I don't hate it, I'll do what I can to prevent myself from playing it.  
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@h83r: Jakob's right, the Master Chief embodies Halo and Halo is the force that made Microsoft relevant in gaming.  

No Mario is a failure on EW's part. But it's one of the worst, most biased pop culture magazines I think I've ever seen. The lead from Glee--one of the magazine's most beloved shows of the year--is at the 13th spot. 13. Are you fucking kidding me?
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Barrock said:
What specifically makes Mario a great character? His wits? His charm? His funny banter with Luigi? Honestly he's not that great of a character. In fact he's sort of a blank slate, filled with different costumes that give him personality.
Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aounslaught
@Sir_Ragnarok said:

" @h83r: Jakob's right, the Master Chief embodies Halo and Halo is the force that made Microsoft relevant in gaming.  

Yes, I understand that. Like I said before, I completely agree with the fact that Halo is what solidified gaming as a culture and popularized it as an entertainment medium. And if the list was about the 100 greatest games of the last 20 years or 100 greatest franchises/series of the last 20 years, then Halo[and thus, Master Chief] would have absolutely been MORE than deserving to be ranked as high as possible. But, as I understand this list that EW constructed, it's about characters that were created in the past 20 years. The list isn't going by[or at least, it shouldn't go by] the success surrounding said characters' franchise. And going by that logic, I feel that we need to separate Halo the game from Master Chief the character and for the purpose of this list, look at those two as separate entities. And I just feel that the character of Master Chief in and of itself is not a strong enough character compared to the myriad others that EW could have possibly chosen from. 

Characters like Master Chief and Mario are very popular video game characters, sure. These are the faces that come to mind when you think of gaming as a whole. They could even be considered mascots of the gaming world to some extent. Though, I firmly believe that while they are some of the most popular and recognizable characters in the gaming world today, that fact does not make them great video game characters. I feel that they lack the depth that a character needs to have to be considered great. They might take part in great video games, sure. But great gameplay =/= great story-telling [and by extension, the characters involved in the story].
FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By FirePrince
@LiquidPrince said:
" @Barrock said:
What specifically makes Mario a great character? His wits? His charm? His funny banter with Luigi? Honestly he's not that great of a character. In fact he's sort of a blank slate, filled with different costumes that give him personality. "

Great point right there.Why do people like Mario so much as a character?He's more of a mascot for Nintendo than anything else,kinda like Sonic.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By DystopiaX

Nathan Drake and Niko are the only 2 that deserve to be there. Master Chief's claim to fame is a wildly popular shooter and badass armor. No depth, he doesn't talk, the only backstory you get is if you read the SUPPLEMENTAL book. Kratos is just pissed and wants to kill shit, and Lara Croft just has big tits.

scallywag179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By scallywag179
@Video_Game_King said:
" @mylifeforAiur:   "How appropriate. You smell like a cow." Was that it, I can't remember. "
How appropriate. You fight like a cow. 

One of my favorites.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@h83r:  Where you're right: EW's list should be about the most interesting or engaging or creative characters of the last twenty years.  

Where you're wrong: EW's list isn't. It's more about iconic characters than anything less quantifiable, especially something like depth or dynamism, though that is sometimes the basis for a character's iconic status.  

It's why Homer Simpson and Harry Potter are No. 1 and No. 2, respectively--there are more interesting and more powerful fictional characters out there, but those two are, for EW, the most important of the last twenty years. Definitely the most pervasive. And you have to remember Entertainment Weekly's demographic--middle-class consumers with little-to-no actual knowledge about pop culture or general fiction (in all mediums) outside of the mainstream. They aren't going to point out some even-slightly obscure video game character to an audience that is largely ignorant to the genre.
Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Slab64

Man, this list sounds terrible. I used to enjoy EW, but I'm kinda glad I let my subscription lapse a while back if this is the shit they're putting out now.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust

Here's the list:  

I can't check all of them, but #1 Homer Simpson first aired in 1987, 23 years ago, #87 Tony Stark first appeared in 1963, 47 years go and #36 Gollum was first published in 1937, 73 years ago.  I personally think this invalidates a list of characters from "the past 20 years".

1. Homer Simpson
2. Harry Potter
3. Buffy
4. Tony Soprano
5. The Joker
6. Rachel Green
7. Edward Scissorhands
8. Hannibal Lecter
9. Carrie Bradshaw
10. Spongebob Squarepants
11. Cosmo Kramer
12. Mulder & Scully
13. Jack Sparrow
14. The Dude
15. Shrek
16. Bridget Jones
17. Lara Croft
18. Sue Sylvester
19. Morpheus
20. Ally McBeal
21. Roseanne
22. Cartman
23. Austin Powers
24. Felicity
25. Woody
26. Kavalier & Clay
27. Frasier
28. Madea
29. Vincent Vega & Jules Winnfield
30. Stephen Colbert
31. Forrest Gump
32. Beavis & Butt-head
33. Sara Connor
34. Cher (from Clueless)
35. Dexter Morgan
36. Gollum
37. Keyser Soze
38. Elmo
39. Gob Bluth
40. Ron Burgundy
41. Harold & Kumar
42. Sydney Bristow
43. Cal Stephanides
44. Jack Bauer
45. Stewie Griffin
46. Jerry Maguire
47. Corky St. Clair
48. Red
49. Vivian Ward
50. Pearl the Landlord
51. Omar Little
52. Annie Wilkes
53. Edward Cullen
54. Juno
55. Tracy Jordan
56. Barney Stinson
57. Clayton Bigsby
58. Thelma & Louise
59. Master Chief
60. Mary Jones
61. Vic Mackey
62. Jimmy Corrigan
63. John Locke
64. Maximus
65. Lorelai & Rory Gilmore
66. Allie & Noah
67. Borat
68. Miranda Priestly
70. Mary Katherine Gallagher
71. Det. Alonzo Harris
72. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace
73. Catherina Tramell
74. Don Draper
75. David Brent
76. Tyler Durden
77. Mimi Marquez
78. Patty Hewes
79. Elphaba
80. Gorillaz
81. Amanda Woodward
82. Tracy Flick
83. Jen Yu
84. Dr. Gregory House
85. Daniel Plainview
86. Karen Walker & Jack McFarland
87. Tony Stark
88. Napoleon Dynamite
89. Wikus
90. Marge Gunderson
91. Hancock
92. Christopher Boone
93. Game Boys (Nathan Drake, Kratos, Niko Bellic)
94. Truman
95. Wilhelmina
96. Bernie Mac
97. Violet Weston
98. Lisbeth Salander
99. The Bride
100. Tim Riggins

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mono_Listo

Hmm. A big, wide open list for something so subjective. I can't seem to track down a complete tally on-line, but it seems to be missing some glaring literary creations (that I think were created within the last twenty years).

As for Master Chief being that high - I suppose he has some draw and a big fanbase, but yea, he's essentially one of the most vapid characters in the history of gamingdom.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Goddamn... These lists are always stupid, but really? Buffy at #3? Really? And Pearl the Landlord is a from a three minute internet video! Jesus.

And I haven't played enough Halo to know for sure, but isn't Master Chief a silent protagonist in-game?

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Whisperkill

I think I saw this article. Was #1 Homer Simpson?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead

I bet Jack Sparrow is number one. 

EDIT: Never mind, 12 off is still horrible. 
DOUBLE EDIT: Edward Scissorhands at 7 and The Joker at 5 is just as bad, if not worse.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Ineedaname

That list is terrible.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By I_smell

Lara Croft is a lady, that's pretty much all there is to her character.

Niko Bellic shouts "Rrrrraaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr don't fuck wit me." when you shoot.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mono_Listo

Having seen that list in its entirety, I can safely and confidently assume that the person(s) that wrote it are of the same ilk that enjoy reality TV, don't know Cormac McCarthy from Chuck  Palahniuk (if they've ever heard of either), and through ignorance are incapable of understanding the term "derivative".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PenguinDust: The characters' dates of creation really doesn't have anything to do with their significance in the last twenty years. It isn't a list about the greatest characters created in the last two decades, but the most important characters in that timespan, regardless of their time of creation. Given this, most every character has seen the height of their significance within the last twenty years. The problem, obviously, is that some of these characters (the chick from Glee? Really?) seem inappropriately placed on this list, probably somewhat prematurely.  

@Mono_Listo: Your point about recent literary figures is a huge area of concern for this list. Clearly they've avoided that medium basically in its entirety--to the detriment of the list, in my opinion--but, like you've said, they're appealing to a demographic that is largely distanced from books as any genuine source of entertainment. 
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Carrie Bradshaw? I just have malice over the current look of Sarah Jessica Parker though, but after reading the panning critics of Sex and The City 2, it should have been a lot lower down?

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mono_Listo
@Sir_Ragnarok:  I'm surprised to see  Elphabaon that list, but I suspect it's because they made a play out of the book. Ditto Tyler Durden, but only because he was portrayed in a feature film. I didn't scrutinize the list, but it seems to only include characters that were also portrayed in live action somehow. Eh, whatever, "hip and today" article in a print mag and all, I don't know why I was expecting quality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThePhantomnaut said:
" Carrie Bradshaw? I just have malice over the current look of Sarah Jessica Parker though, but after reading the panning critics of Sex and The City 2, it should have been a lot lower down? "
There's a lot of that. Tony Stark but no Spider-Man? Will Smith's Hancock, but not Christian Bale's Batman? 
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
" Carrie Bradshaw? I just have malice over the current look of Sarah Jessica Parker though, but after reading the panning critics of Sex and The City 2, it should have been a lot lower down? "
There's a lot of that. Tony Stark but no Spider-Man? Will Smith's Hancock, but not Christian Bale's Batman?  "
The only reason I can find out of Tony Stark was associating his movie version with Robert Downey Jr.'s battle with addition. Bad for good reasons. Spider-Man (still odded by 3) and Batman in their current visions are heavily developed where they had to make very complicated decisions.
Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mono_Listo
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
There's a lot of that. Tony Stark but no Spider-Man? Will Smith's Hancock, but not Christian Bale's Batman?  "
The only reason I can find out of Tony Stark was associating his movie version with Robert Downey Jr.'s battle with addition. Bad for good reasons. Spider-Man (still odded by 3) and Batman in their current visions are heavily developed where they had to make very complicated decisions. "
In the end, we're (supposedly, in regards to the article) focused solely on characters. And they appear to include modern reinterpretations. As far as that goes, Toby McGuire and Christian Bale gave the best performances either of their characters have ever seen on film, as well as being the most genuine in regards to the source material.

Downey Jr, too, but he was included.