Fable 3

vgmkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

Edited By vgmkyle

Fable 3 makes me sad. Peter definitely didn't hype this game up as badly as he did with Lionhead's previous installments, but that's probably only because he knew in the midst of development that he was making an incredibly lackluster title. He has some ambitious and intriguing ideas scattered throughout the course of the game, but everything feels so hasty and rehashed that it's hard to appreciate anything good the game does have to offer.  

I think one thing I can appreciate most about the game is its primary focus on being a Queen or King. The responsibilities you face are quite stressful to take on, and you have to accumulate a lot of gold to stay true to the promises and hope you instilled into those poor little dwellers looking for someone to look up to in their perpetually awful lives. It's never that I can ponder on and enjoy though. All I can focus on is the direct problems I see in front of me. My annoying dog that freezes and gets lost and sees a treasure that I saw seconds before, the uncomfortable atmosphere, the incomplete look, the abysmal frame rate, the recycled graphics engine and of course Jasper's consisting advertising campaign.    

A legendary video game designer once said that the little things are what make a great game. Boy he was right.

vgmkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vgmkyle

Fable 3 makes me sad. Peter definitely didn't hype this game up as badly as he did with Lionhead's previous installments, but that's probably only because he knew in the midst of development that he was making an incredibly lackluster title. He has some ambitious and intriguing ideas scattered throughout the course of the game, but everything feels so hasty and rehashed that it's hard to appreciate anything good the game does have to offer.  

I think one thing I can appreciate most about the game is its primary focus on being a Queen or King. The responsibilities you face are quite stressful to take on, and you have to accumulate a lot of gold to stay true to the promises and hope you instilled into those poor little dwellers looking for someone to look up to in their perpetually awful lives. It's never that I can ponder on and enjoy though. All I can focus on is the direct problems I see in front of me. My annoying dog that freezes and gets lost and sees a treasure that I saw seconds before, the uncomfortable atmosphere, the incomplete look, the abysmal frame rate, the recycled graphics engine and of course Jasper's consisting advertising campaign.    

A legendary video game designer once said that the little things are what make a great game. Boy he was right.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I thought the game was awesome. Much better than Fable 2 and 1. The series keeps getting better and better in my eyes. I love what they're doing with Albion.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Mars_Cleric

they need to let it rest for a few years and have another big jump in time like Fable 2 did 
also I'd knda like to see the return of the heroes guild like it was in Fable 
I think the lone hero story is a little played out now
smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By smokemare

I think it's the big things that make a game great - but only in the absence of the little things.  In some respects - from a development point of view it's often easier to implement big, clever ideas - but harder to go back and debug all those little glitches and quirks. 

Star Wars Galaxies was a classic example of this - a brilliant game, mired down by bugs, glitches and some questionable outcomes of poor design.  In the end ludicrous executive decisions and a lack of understanding of the playerbase and the market killed it off completely.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By flaminghobo

I thought the game was good for what it was. Fable 2 definitely had a better feel to it in terms of atmosphere and gameplay but there are a lot of interesting ideas wrapped in Fable 3 such as the "in-game menus". The only reason that this is nowhere near as groundbreaking as Fable 2 is due to the fact that the developers haven't taken the same amount of time to construct this new Albion as they did from Fable to Fable 2. I suggest that Lionhead wait a few more years before releasing another Fable title in order to properly establish and finish the design of Fable 4.

vgmkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vgmkyle
@xyzygy: You must be insane.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By blueduck
@xyzygy said:
" I thought the game was awesome. Much better than Fable 2 and 1. The series keeps getting better and better in my eyes. I love what they're doing with Albion. "
Yeah I agree and in about 14 years the Fable series will finally catch up to what Peter said the first game was supposed to be!
smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By smokemare
@blueduck:  Lol - too true... Good old Peter Mol... Great developer - real vision, but not as great as his aspirations... Hopefully he'll get there one day :P