First game in a series you loved and the rest you hated.

• 92 results
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

What are some game series in which the first game you loved but thought the sequels or prequels ruined for you? For me it would haver to be Knights Of The Old Republic series and Kingdom Hearts. KOTOR 1 was amazing. It captured almost every feeling you had when watching the first 3 films. The sense of adventure and discovery, A New Hope, an evil force growing stronger and having them cripple your team by taking an ally and a shocking twist, Empire, and in the end redemption if you played good, Return of the Jedi. Also the story was very easy to follow which is a plus. KOTOR 2... it seemed to me they wanted to go "edgier" and focus on "the dark side' of the Star Wars universe, also too many bad guys. I never had a clear picture of who I was fighting or why I was doing any of the things I was doing, plus it was buggy as hell.  

Second example for me would be Kingdom Hearts. The first game was great, even though it did have it's flaws. You went into some fun disney worlds, the story was fairly easy to follow, and you got some old and new spiky haired teenagers. Kingdom Hearts 2 and the other games... again for me the same problems as KOTOR 2. They went for a more complicated story and made it dark for the sake of making it dark. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

resistance

Australia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Australia

Resistance 2 was a giant fly-kick to the balls. 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

resistance

"
Yup good example, although the PSP game wasn't half bad. 
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Red12b
@Australia:  
Aussie! aussie! aussie!     

oh god, who is that in your avatar pic? 
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Skate. I probably complain about this too much, though. I thought the first one was pretty great, and had so much room for growth and potential. I feel the sequels have really failed to deliver on that potential, and in many ways have taken a turn for the worst.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#7  Edited By Jazz

Not to be boring but: Halo, God of War and Half Life.

@Red12b: demon king dude from DBZ

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1
@Jazz Really? I thought Half-Life 2 was a good sequel, but I can see why you'd think that.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
@RE_Player92 said:
" What are some game series in which the first game you loved but thought the sequels or prequels ruined for you? For me it would haver to be Knights Of The Old Republic series and Kingdom Hearts. KOTOR 1 was amazing. It captured almost every feeling you had when watching the first 3 films. The sense of adventure and discovery, A New Hope, an evil force growing stronger and having them cripple your team by taking an ally and a shocking twist, Empire, and in the end redemption if you played good, Return of the Jedi. Also the story was very easy to follow which is a plus. KOTOR 2... it seemed to me they wanted to go "edgier" and focus on "the dark side' of the Star Wars universe, also too many bad guys. I never had a clear picture of who I was fighting or why I was doing any of the things I was doing, plus it was buggy as hell.   Second example for me would be Kingdom Hearts. The first game was great, even though it did have it's flaws. You went into some fun disney worlds, the story was fairly easy to follow, and you got some old and new spiky haired teenagers. Kingdom Hearts 2 and the other games... again for me the same problems as KOTOR 2. They went for a more complicated story and made it dark for the sake of making it dark.  "
Did you forget how dark the original Kingdom Hearts was?  Because that game was not all sunshine and rainbows, let me tell you.  There were some portions that actually felt as dark as anything in KH2 or the other games.
ry0wn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ry0wn

Dead Rising, and Pokemon after they moved to DS.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Wasara88

Mercenaries. I loved the first one,but the time Mercs2 came out it just felt outdated and boring.
Far Cry. To be fair i dont hate FC2,but it was a huge disappointment.
Mortal Kombat games that came after ultimate.
F.E.A.R the add ons are horrendous and on Fear2 i couldn't put my finger on it but it just didn't get its hooks in me like the first one did.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Pokemon after Gold/Silver.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Final Fantasy. First one was awesome, and they all sucked after that.

Fighter/Thief/Black/White FTW.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jack268

Skate and Crackdown 

I didn't even notice I broke 700 posts :DD

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lucas_kelly

Halo. Well I wouldn't say hate, but they were no where near as good as the first.

Australia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Australia
@Red12b:  
OI, OI, OI 

My friend took that photo at a party and sent it to me and it is just too good not to share with the internet. I have no idea who the kid is but he is my idol.
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By eric_buck
@Jazz: Really? I can't really see how God of War 2 was worse than the first. It was practically the same game.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By meteora

Probably Pokemon post-Gold/Silver generation.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Liminality
@Wasara88 said:
" Fear2 i couldn't put my finger on it but it just didn't get its hooks in me like the first one did. "
Yes, I'm still trying to finish it.

I agree with Resistance 2.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Osaladin

Halo is the only one that comes to mind. 

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Noodles

Pokemon & Soul Calibur. I didn't >hate< Pokemon Gold/Silver or Soul Calibur 2, but I felt that both of those series really dropped off after the second entry.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By harrisonave

I don't hate it, but I like Left 4 Dead far more than I like Left 4 Dead 2.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By ThePickle

Halo and post-UMK3 Mortal Kombat 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Artemis_D said:
" I don't hate it, but I like Left 4 Dead far more than I like Left 4 Dead 2. "
Me too. I think it has something to do with the setting.
triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By triple07
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @Artemis_D said:
Me too. I think it has something to do with the setting. "
Yup. Who wants to play a zombie during the day? Plus the levels just didn't have the same impact that the first ones did. Also I didn't like the characters as much. Still the gamplay was improved so I can't say I hated it.
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Vonocourt

Devil May Cry

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kingclaw
@Vonocourt said:
" Devil May Cry "
You didn't like the third one. How's that?
tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tophar01

errrhmmm I haven't really played another final fantasy game I liked as much as the first one I played? but I didn't start with ff1 

no bioshocks?

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Vonocourt
@kingclaw: Dante's attitude, the overly long cutscenes that consisted entirely of fighting, the over the top "coolness" of said cutscenes. 

The gameplay was alright, though the enemies sucked. It's just the obnoxious personality that game had that made me dislike it.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Animasta
@RE_Player92 said:

" What are some game series in which the first game you loved but thought the sequels or prequels ruined for you? For me it would haver to be Knights Of The Old Republic series and Kingdom Hearts. KOTOR 1 was amazing. It captured almost every feeling you had when watching the first 3 films. The sense of adventure and discovery, A New Hope, an evil force growing stronger and having them cripple your team by taking an ally and a shocking twist, Empire, and in the end redemption if you played good, Return of the Jedi. Also the story was very easy to follow which is a plus. KOTOR 2... it seemed to me they wanted to go "edgier" and focus on "the dark side' of the Star Wars universe, also too many bad guys. I never had a clear picture of who I was fighting or why I was doing any of the things I was doing, plus it was buggy as hell.  

fuck youuuuuuuuu Kotor 2 is the way superior game, KOTOR 1 was a by the numbers star wars game that's severely overrated, and the Revan thing was dumb as hell. also most of the characters were annoying archetypes (little girl palling around with big man, whiny emotional dude, HK was literally the only decent character they had and they severely improved him in KOTOR2). also I do like you mention KOTOR 1's simple story as a plus; it's not like they haven't done the same exact thing for nearly all their games (ME2 is the only one I can remember that differed in some way)

KOTOR2 all day every day

also playing the game now, it is hardly buggy (a little buggier then KOTOR 1, maybe) and the cut content patches really adds to the game.
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By FesteringNeon

DiRT, Resident Evil, Loaded, Super Mario Kart, Blaster Master

MaGnUmKiLLa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By MaGnUmKiLLa
@ry0wn said:
" Dead Rising, and Pokemon after they moved to DS. "
Dude, Dead Rising 2 isn't even out yet. Judging a bit early, aren't you? 

I don't know, this is a difficult question. There aren't many franchises that I started and then didn't love throughout. Devil May Cry is one example, I suppose. I thought that series just sucked after the first one. Although, I do think the new one looks promising. I didn't like anything after SSX Tricky and I thought Mario Party 2 was the last good one. I liked Chrono Trigger and not Chrono Cross. I really liked Jak and Daxter 1 and didn't care for any of the rest of them outside of the psp ones cause those were pretty good.
Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pleasureizmine
@kingclaw: The Game
HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By HairyMike87

Devil May Cry

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kingclaw
@Pleasureizmine said:
" @kingclaw: The Game "
What?
MaGnUmKiLLa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By MaGnUmKiLLa
@bukkookkub said:
" DiRT, Resident Evil, Loaded, Super Mario Kart, Blaster Master "
Dude, we are mortal enemies for life. Resident Evil, are you insane!? REmake, 2, 4, 5, all some of the best games ever made. Mario Kart, are you insane!? I'm happy for you and I'mma let you finish but Mario Kart 64 is the best kart racing game of all time! OF ALL TIME!
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FesteringNeon
@MaGnUmKiLLa: lol it's all good. I just personally had fond memories with the firsts in those series, and didn't exactly have that warm fuzzy feeling beyond. IMO, I liked the first RE, for the quiet sparse kills the more of the fear of wondering what was ahead. Mario Kart for me was pretty perfect. Sure polygons helped out, and it's not that I entirely hated 64, I just preferred the 2D version more. 
xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xshinobi

Mercenaries.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jazz said:
" Not to be boring but: Halo, God of War and Half Life. "
Awww, I can't believe you didn't like those sequels. I thought they were great.
Truant19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Truant19

I loved socom 1 and 2, but hated 3, combined assault and confrontation. I never played the psp games but I heard they were good. I realllllly hoping for socom 4.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Not that I've played it yet but I don't think I don't think I'll like Valkyria chronicles 2;I've seen some videos on Youtube and I dunno I'm not feeling the new characters that much.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By Castiel
@MaGnUmKiLLa said:
" @ry0wn said:
" Dead Rising, and Pokemon after they moved to DS. "
Dude, Dead Rising 2 isn't even out yet."
Really cause I have been playing it for last three days now. But I really like DR2 and don't think it's a bad game.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#43  Edited By Icemael

I really liked Viewtiful Joe, but the sequel... meh. The story felt forced, the bosses weren't as fun, the combat just felt like more of the same, and Silvia was a terrible addition.

Oh, and I know this isn't a case of every game after the first sucking, but I haven't enjoyed a single Metal Slug after 3.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Geno

Modern Prince of Persia. Sands of Time is a timeless (no pun intended) classic, whereas the sequels have been pretty meh so far. 

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#45  Edited By Jazz
@Eric_Buck said:
" @Jazz: Really? I can't really see how God of War 2 was worse than the first. It was practically the same game. "
Thats the problem. If i wanted the same game..i'd play the first one again. Its a one note game that got boring very quickly.

@RE_Player92 said:
" @Jazz Really? I thought Half-Life 2 was a good sequel, but I can see why you'd think that. "
Perhaps hated is too strong a word...Indifferent would be closer.
JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JoRoNimo
JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JoRoNimo
@Geno said:
" Modern Prince of Persia. Sands of Time is a timeless (no pun intended) classic, whereas the sequels have been pretty meh so far.  "
I didn't HATE the sequels, but you're right, they don't compare favorably at all to PoP:SoT
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I would say Kingdom Hearts, but Birth By Sleep destroyed that idea.
OP, play that.

Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Regal
@Geno said:

" Modern Prince of Persia. Sands of Time is a timeless (no pun intended) classic, whereas the sequels have been pretty meh so far.  "

This is exactly what came to mind as soon as I saw this topic. And it was a sure bet it would already have been mentioned too. 

Sands of time was so unique in atmosphere and story, the potential for the sequels so great that it was a huge disappointed that the sequels were just video games through and through (in the negative sense of the word). It was probably Jordan Mechners departure that explains most of it. I remember being registered at this community after PoP: SoT's launch and it was lively and active and about 1 to 1 male/female ratio and a real sense of community. Said community began to wither and die close to the launch of Warrior Within and then rapidly afterwards, and became replaced with people who were looking for cheap God of War clones and bad rock music.  

The 2008 Prince of Persia was sort of a return to form, I hope they pursue that as a series when they make the next Prince of Persia.  
harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By harrisonave
@triple07 said:
" @SpikeSpiegel said:
" @Artemis_D said:
Me too. I think it has something to do with the setting. "
Yup. Who wants to play a zombie during the day? Plus the levels just didn't have the same impact that the first ones did. Also I didn't like the characters as much. Still the gamplay was improved so I can't say I hated it. "
Yeah, that's true.  And it's not the games fault; it's hard to get that magic of the first game back.  When the first game came out, and no one really knew what to do with Left 4 Dead, it was so much fun.  But now, everyone knows who the witch is and how to handle her.  Everyone knows what to do when a Tank shows up.  Even some of the new zombie classes aren't even a huge threat anymore.  The game is still fun though, when you find a great group of people to play it with.   

I'm ont against a L4D3, but I really hope they take their time to try and make that game something special, again.