• 51 results
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By nikral

So I was just thinking back to when I first found Giantbomb and was thinking about how my first impression was, I think it was around when it first went live (August-ish) and I came here because I heard about the Gamespot review scandal. 
My first impression was quite confused and not very interested because the look and feel of the site wasn't like your typical gaming news/community website I believe I also felt like there was a lack of information that other sites offered which turned me off. A few months later I somehow stumbled upon the site again and just clicked around which led GB becoming my fave. gaming site and ending up loving it because it wasn't your typical gaming site.

Anyway I am making this post because I'm curious how other people felt when they first came across Giantbomb.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FlyingRat

Pretty much liked it right from the start. For the same reasons you mentioned for not liking it. It not looking and feeling like your typical gaming sites. Plus i already knew the guys from the Gamespot days and always enjoyed their shenanigans there.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

I first learned about it through signatures on other forums.  And I figured, why the hell not, I'll go get me a sig like that too.  When I registered I thought it would be the kind of site that I would sign up for and quickly forget about.  I have to say the quests probably changed that pretty quick.  And I've been coming pretty much every day since.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By LackingSaint

I started with this, and I will never forget.
Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MightyMayorMike

My first real experience was the Arrow Pointing Down podcast which I loved to death. Then I was immediately on board with the site because I wanted to see more of Jeff, Ryan and the gang.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
@LackingSaint: sooo awesome.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By FunExplosions

I liked it. Came here a couple times. Forgot about the site for awhile, then I saw some intelligent conversation in the forums and decided to sign up. I forgot how I learned of the site. 

*Disclaimer* this was almost two years ago.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By FinalDasa  Online

I found the podcast before I found the website. 
It was glorious and instantly raised my podcast standards and subsequently finding the website it did the same thing my "websites I visit" standards. 

Avatar image for theblindchessman
TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheBlindChessman

I started with the Bombcast. I was already listening to the 1up podcasts and had a long commute to work so I wanted some more gaming podcasts, Giant Bomb was near the top of the iTunes video game podcast charts and had a cool picture (the series 3 one) so I thought I'd check it out. 

First 20 mins were them talking about who would win in a fight between a T-Rex and a Shark in shallow water. I wondered what the hell I'd just downloaded but stuck with it, and now it's without doubt my favourite weekly podcast. 

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By DrPockets000

I had been here a couple of times and didn't pay much attention, but one day, starved for Borderlands footage, I did a video search in Google or something for Borderlands, and noticed a half hour video on this site under the results.  I came, I saw, and fell in love.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ComradeKhan
@Nikral: I found out about Giant Bomb because I saw someone's comment on another site that was talking about a website that had videos of some guys playing through Persona and that it was worth some laughs. So I decided to check it out and immediately fell in love with Vinny and Jeff's humor so I watched the whole endurance run. After that I kept coming back to the sight for their Quick Looks which I thought were a very cool and unique feature. Recently I made a profile and have been branching out to all of the other features the site has to offer. NOW I'M HOOKED.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

registered 2 months after it's launch, i didnt like the feel of the website and ditched it for a few months, then started getting interested again..

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By turbo_toaster

The iPhone App commercial was my first exposure to it, took a couple more videos to get a handle for the way they did things then I was hooked 4 lyfe

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By onarum

I think I first got to know GB when someone linked a review on another forum, it was a really good read so I started looking through the videos, found the quick looks, been checking the site daily ever since.

zorzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By zorzer
@Nikral said:
" So I was just thinking back to when I first found Giantbomb and was thinking about how my first impression was, I think it was around when it first went live (August-ish) and I came here because I heard about the Gamespot review scandal. My first impression was quite confused and not very interested because the look and feel of the site wasn't like your typical gaming news/community website I believe I also felt like there was a lack of information that other sites offered which turned me off. A few months later I somehow stumbled upon the site again and just clicked around which led GB becoming my fave. gaming site and ending up loving it because it wasn't your typical gaming site. Anyway I am making this post because I'm curious how other people felt when they first came across Giantbomb. "

Pretty much the same for this one
smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By smcn

The first thing I thought was, "Okay, so it's a video game website about video games. But what is it really about?"

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Noodlearms

I was bored one day and watched the last episode of Button Mashing on Gamespot. Everyone in the comments was saying how the host (Vinny) was "repping GB" and shit so I went to go check it out. When I saw that THIS was where Jeff, Ryan and Brad went I signed up and haven't looked back.

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nikral

So interesting just hearing how people got hooked on this site :) Keep em coming. Yay!

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By borgmaster

I started in May 2008 (don't know how long it had been up) and my first thought was: "Wow, this site is ghetto."

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By villainy

Somehow I got lucky and stumbled across the site just after launch.  The crew and the way they disseminate gaming information immediately hooked me.  Eventually I created an account but continued lurking because it's just what I do.  I had to stop logging in when the original quest interface (that popup thing that used to be at the bottom of the screen) tugged at my completionist side way too hard and I was wasting my time trying to find pages instead of actually using the site.  Paid for a subscription because I love what Whiskey is doing and figured I should probably log in again to take advantage of the subscription.  Now I live in a blissful world full of GB, Tested, Screened, and the occasional CV... with some quests thrown in when I look to the upper right for too long.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yoctoyotta

I was an old school Gamespot fan and had to follow these crazy guys to where ever they went. They could have started a food review site for all I cared. Thankfully, Giant Bomb turned out to be pretty darn awesome.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By rjayb89

I think I was searching for "naked cartoon pussy" on Google and found this site.  I also searched "throw dark" and found this site, as well.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By BeachThunder

My first impression was actually cool wiki, bro. That was a little over a year before I actually signed up though.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RE_Player1

Love at first sight. 

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I don't remember my first impressions. But I'm still here, so it must've been positive.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nail1080

I came here from Jeff's blog.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JammyJesus

Followed Jeff from his departure and followed him here. I watched, laughed and learned. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Oddly enough, I wikipedia'd what Jeff was doing after he left Gamespot, the very day the full site launched. And the rest was history (or at least... the recent past). 

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By nick_verissimo

I was a huge fan of the guys back when they were at GameSpot and well, we all know what happened there, so I continued to follow Jeff through his blog and the rest is history.  The HotSpot and On the Spot were my two favourite game related things on the Internet because of the personalities of the guys on the site, so it was only logical that I'd continue to follow them and whatever they did after GameSpot because it was bound to be even bat shit crazier and I was proven right.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By ReyGitano

I remembered talk of Jeff going to IGN, and wondered what actually happed to him. I wikied his name and found out about GiantBomb back when it was starting up. 
My first impression was "oh, so this is where all the good from Gamespot went"

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By JJWeatherman

I was a big fan of the Hotspot specifically over at Gamespot. Rich leaving was one of the saddest days and I remember them putting up that video for replacement On the Spot host auditions from some of the other GS staff. It was a funny video. But anyways, after Rich, Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, and Alex all left in a short period of time, I had to move on somewhere and Giant Bomb was the obvious choice. I signed up as the site launched. I think I was a couple days late signing up actually, but I visited the site from day one. After I signed up, I actually wasn't on a whole lot until about a month or so later. I think that period was mainly because I thought their news coverage was too slim, as another user also mentioned. But I did return as I said a month or so later and it feels like I've been here every single day since then. I really fell in love with all of the unique and ambitious features of the site. I remember really liking the feeling that I had a part in the sites creation in a way by editing wikis, moderating images, and posting on the forums. To this day I still feel the same way too. I still love that this site feels like a community effort. *group hug*  <3

Of course it doesn't hurt that the GB crew also provides the best in video and audio entertainment.  :)

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RobotHamster

I don't remember exactly but I remember being here since the beginning around March 08.  I think it was referenced somewhere (maybe xplay when I did watch it) and I came to check it out and have been here ever since.

Triple10X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Triple10X

I remember seeing Jeff on GameTrailers and thinking that he annoyed the heck out of me.

Later that year, I was a big Persona 4 fan, so after trolling around the GameFAQ boards, they mentioned that GB was doing a Persona 4 ER.  After I beat the game myself, I came here.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By Jayross

I was looking for Dragon Age: Origins gameplay, and found the Quick Look for the console version. The rest is history.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By teptom

I heard Jeff on the TalkRadar podcast back in December 2008. Later that month, I listened to their Game of the Year podcast and was hooked ever since.

Altagrave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Altagrave

The forums need to be more streamlined.  Aside from that, everything else is mint.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think my first thoughts of Giant Bomb were "Fuck yes, the Gamespot guys have their own website, this is awesome".

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think my first impression was "Go Jeff! Yeah!"

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By face15

I found Giant Bomb through Brad's Uncharted 2 review on youtube. So I guess my first impression was "Dude is good at reviews".

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By mrfizzy

i was on gamespot, saw a forum post saying "the giant bomb has landed" clicked it, got the link, came to here about 3-4 hours after it had launched, had no idea what it was till i saw a cartoon of jeff and ryan, got mad excited, confirmed that jeff was involved, lost my shit, saw that ryan was in too, continued to lose my shit, signed up, have visited every day since. 

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By guiseppe

I've been here since day one, and it was instant love. I had also been following Jeff's and Ryan's blogs and thus listened to the few Arrow Pointing Down podcasts they released before the site went live.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zithe

I just found the site in maybe March-April of this year. I was watching Feedback, the only thing worth checking out from G4, and they were talking about some crazy Deadly Premonition game. I went to look it up on Wikipedia and there was a line in the article that mentioned the Endurance Run. After checking out the Endurance Runs and Quick Looks and the Bombcast, this quickly became my favorite gaming site by far.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hourai

I'm not exactly sure what I thought at first. I remember joining when the site officially launched in summer 2008 and posted on the forums for about a month. It was pretty bare-bones at the time and there wasn't enough content to keep me interested. Then, in January 2010, I was looking up Persona 4 videos on YouTube and came across the Endurance Run. I thought it was pretty funny and was like "oh, I remember that site!". So I loaded up Giant Bomb, watched a few Quick Looks, and got back into the site. A couple weeks later I made this account and started using it pretty much every day. 

carminescarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By carminescarf

I was sold when I watched the First look for Noby Noby Boy. One of the funniest videos, seriously.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MisterChief

They had me at quick look.

MeatXbeatsXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By MeatXbeatsXman

I remember searching for a new podcast to get hooked on, and I stumbled upon the Bombcast. I downloaded every single episode, and it has been the soundtrack for the past 2 years for me. Truly epic, genuinely funny, and honest, I can't imagine being a part of any other gaming community other than Giant Bomb.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

I hadn't really been into gaming much until after a big break up. I started searching for websites and found 1up in November 2009. The chrismas episode of one of their podcast had Brad and Jeff on so I thought I would check them and their website out. I thought they were assholes and left. I came back about two months later and still thought they were asshole but in a lovable way. Subscribed to Bombcast and have been a member ever since.

skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By skadbob

I guess I first thought that the name and logo were really stupid (in the same way that the name The Smashing Pumpkins is stupid) when it was first announced, but they make complete sense now. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who had been with GameSpot since 1996 when it first started then just followed Ryan and Jeff to Arrow Pointing Down so... first impressions didn't really matter that much.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mrskidders

I loved it, now not so much.  I love forums on websites but I am growing to hate this one due to the influx of idiots and people from 4chan.

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ramyun

Initial thoughts were that this site was amazing. First thing I saw was the Soul Calibur IV video review which gave me exactly the thing i was looking for in video reviews instead of the stuff from Gamespot.