For anyone playing on Mac: GeForce Now works great.

Avatar image for deactivated-63991c79611ef
deactivated-63991c79611ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know. This may sound like a commercial? And Don't tell me "Macs aren't for Games" I know that and that's why I'm posting this.

I own an old iMac (2013) and since my budget doesn't allow me to get a decent enough Gaming PC and my Mac runs everything else like on day one I was always pretty jealous of my friends and their Gaming Machines.

Then GeForce Now came along. And after one year using it I gotta say: This is incredible.

Sure, it's better to own a beefed up machine in your house but this is the next best thing.

I've tried everything and even Stadia was fine, but this is simply another level. Right now I'm on the 3080 tier and literally every single game in my library (Steam, Ubisoft, Epic) runs in 60 with maxed out settings. It's ridiculous. Cyberpunk 2077, Guardians Of The Galaxy with RTX run like I've never seen it before. For me this is a "Game Changer" (haha).

In one year I've experienced maybe 2 or 3 times this thing did not work perfectly. The latency gets better with each update even though I gotta say I never ever noticed it in the first place.

I just had to let people know that may have a similar situation, because when I first read about it I never would have thought it would work as well as it does. I think even 2008 Macs and old Laptops work very good.

My internet connection is pretty alright I guess, that's of course a good thing to have, but after testing every Cloud Gaming thingy out there this is by far the best experience I had and I've played thousands of hours before telling you that.

Again: I know it's not the same thing as playing on your machine at home. I know Macs aren't Gaming PCs etc. But I'm at a point now that I don't even know if I would want a PC, because with this solution there isn't installing, there are no graphic driver or peripheral updates and everything just works like it's a console. I like that.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If it works for you, great! Really, I mean it. But for me, there are several problems.

Primarily, ownership. The idea of owning games on Steam is already a thin one. Many would tell you that you already own nothing you bought digitally, but I still feel like a game downloaded on your PC is at least one step removed from not actually owning anything. And, of course, there's DRM free GOG games, which is what I lean towards.

Running a close second is the ability to dig into game files. I'm not huge into modding, but more than once I've had to dig into config files and such to try to get a game to perform like I want it to. There's a utility called id5tweaker that lets you remove post processing from Wolfenstein The New Order that came in handy when I replayed it earlier this year. Made the game look and feel so much better without vasoline spread all over the screen.

Third, and no less important than the other two, is latency. Some might not feel it, but even across my home network, sent to a steam link, there was some input delay. One of my primary reasons for sticking with PCs over consoles and cloud gaming is responsiveness and feel, so any sacrifice there is not worth it for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-63991c79611ef
deactivated-63991c79611ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@justin258: very good points, I totally agree with you and for some people it might really not be the best thing. The thing with ownership isn't that big of a deal to me because it's almost all Steam (at least, again, for me). What I totally understand is the thing with game files. I really would like to use Mods that are not on Steam, I can't.

There are many downsides to this as well and you are totally right. It really is a "for me" thing here, and the main reason I'm not able to do the PC thing is the financial reason, of course.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I've tried most of these services and I generally remember GeForce Now to be the best of them in terms of picture quality. I don't have a huge amount of use for one of these services since I have a 3080 at home, but now that I'm back at the office with a dinky laptop maybe I should give another one a whirl?