Forced HDR on PS5 Sucks

arkham_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By arkham_91

Forced HDR Tone Mapping on non HDR games on PS5 really sucks. For Context, when HDR is checked on for the PS5 it is always on and more importantly its stays on and tone maps non HDR games. I noticed when playing FF14 the colors were washed out and looked off in the same way colors tend to wash out in a 3D movie with those awful theater glasses. Sure enough, I turned off the HDR in the System Menu and it looked so much better. Turning it on and off manually is way to much of a hassle so because of this I've turned off HDR all together even though I love the way it looks on the games that do natively support it. Sony really needs to give the option to have the system turn on and off HDR as the content needs it like the PS4 and Xbox Series X. Speaking of the Xbox Series X, Ive had the opposite experience and the Auto HDR is so rad. Seeing 360 and OG Xbox games in HDR is really trippy and cool.

For reference, Im playing on a LG C7 Oled which handles HDR and SDR content very well, So I doubt its my TV causing the weird discoloration. Also, My Oled runs at max Brightness when Running HDR10 content which is not great for burn in and panel life when the PS5 is always pushing it that signal. Anyone else running into this issue??

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NTM

Wow, really? I'm usually in-the-know about this kind of thing, and yet I didn't know that. That sucks. I dislike it when apps like Netflix or Amazon Prime force HDR even when things aren't natively HDR, so doing it on console-level sucks. I don't have a PS5 yet. I mean, I hope more games take advantage of the system-level HDR calibration/HGIG, but not to use it for the entire system. Also, everyone seems to be running into that issue, but some like it, some don't. The best thing, and very inconvenient way to go about this right now is to find what games have HDR and the games that don't and turn it off and on, on the system settings... That is dumb. The reason is that, as you might have guessed, the games that are not natively HDR, are not actually HDR even when it's running under it. It's 'SDR in an HDR container'. Basically, fake HDR.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By berfunkle

I've been watching the NFL playoffs on my PS5 utilizing "fake" HDR. Admittedly, I'm impressed especially when I compare it to my Xbox Series X's streaming of the games which doesn't use "fake" HDR.

By the way, I realize the Xbox Series X has a switch that implements HDR for SDR content, but I can't get it to work for streaming NFL games.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Hey Sony...figure it out.

Loading Video...