FYI: Patrick is now a Senior Reporter at Kotaku

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@shoddyrobot said:

@seikenfreak:

Cara would be perfect fit. But she's not really a news person is she?

Disagree completely. It'd be the same situation again. Not many people fit Giant Bomb. She's definitely not one of them. I honestly don't even know who is in the NYC area, from the media though.

Also she has just taken a job writing for Eurogamer, And as far as i'm aware she does not a have a visa to live in the US (It took Danny over a year to get his so he could go work in SF) So i wouldn't get your hopes up people.

Strife381

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Vinny better not jump ship too

Telexen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By Telexen

Hope he enjoys it there. I definitely can't say I would have made the same choice - but whatever is best for him.

Almost makes me wonder if he really didn't enjoy being with GB anymore. No point in speculating that though.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Appreciate the kind comments, and I'll definitely keep the skepticism in mind! Maybe I can help change your mind, maybe not. I'll be doing some streaming and other video and podcast-related stuff on the site, so if reading Kotaku isn't your bag, there'll be other options.

And to try and put this rumor mongering to rest, I left on my own. I'm on terrific terms with everyone at Giant Bomb, and we're all still close friends.

Hopefully Totilo and everyone will give you the time and budget to work on real stories and not just churn out the same kind of frankly awful slop that fills the front page of that site at any given time.

I'm sure there is the odd article that is actually researched and put some effort into, but with new stuff being posted every 30 minutes and the clickbait bullshit and top X lists crowding out everything else they sure make it hard to find. Hopefully your content doesn't completely drown in the sea of dreck.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: What do you mean? I get the feeling Patrick wants to write more editorials rather than to fuel a half-assed news section on GiantBomb. The audience on Kotaku is different enough for him to support his style of writing.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#206 fisk0  Moderator

@forkboy said:

I don't read Kotaku but it's not out of any "urrr, Kotaku are evil clickbaiters", I just don't really feel the need to follow the gaming news that closely. Anything massively important I tend to see Giant Bomb cover or I'll find links to it on Twitter. And yeah, as Patrick is still going Worth Reading I will absolutely read Patrick on Kotaku, even if it is just him posting things he's written up on Twitter.

Yup, that's pretty much my take on it as well. I don't get the hate for Kotaku, whenever I come across articles from them they're generally great (their headlines may be another thing, but the content is all good), but I don't actively seek them out.

I'm not aware of any regular video content on that site though, so in that regard I'm a little disappointed with this, since Patrick was great on video.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It makes sense. Tons of Kotaku reporters are all over the place, and it's a very "work from home" job. With Giant Bomb, ever since Patrick left for Chicago, he occupied a weird place on the site, because he just felt isolated, since I feel like Giant Bomb is such a collaborative website, and Pat mostly had to work solo.

Also, this is a pretty clear sign that, from an editorial viewpoint, Kotaku isn't gonna back down from talking about social issues.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@artisanbreads said:

Personally I'd be all on board with them not trying to be a gaming news site at all. Just isn't their strength. I don't mind them covering their bases but I don't see the point in half assed news write ups and a big focus on investigative stories doesn't seem like what this site is about. I never saw that fit with Patrick to be honest.

I dunno, I think they almost have to go in that direction if they continue to expand. The amount of audio/video they've been putting out has been ridiculous since Jason and Dan came aboard, and that's only going to increase once the New York studio is fully operational.

That said, if they're going to do it, they should do it properly. No half measures.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Kotaku... I can't say I'm super excited. I like Patrick, but I doubt he'll have the pull to change that site. It's style of articles is trash. Click-bait galore and rushed misinformed articles in order to be first on stories seem like the norm over there.

Can't help but think Patrick will leave that site with both middle fingers up within a year or two.

Avatar image for pastor_richards
pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a little weird to me. But of course change is always that way. I wonder if they're looking to hire a new editor???

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just went over there and saw this, and now I feel like I've entered a weird alternate dimension. I'm glad for him because I think he fits in with those guys a bit better in terms of viewpoint, I'm just going to miss having those views around here.

I know I'll see his stuff as I peruse that site for bite-size info when I'm on my phone anyway. I wonder who'll be the new News editor will be on GBEast coast.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By spraynardtatum

Kotaku now has Jason Schreier, Steven Totillo and Patrick Klepek? I guess it's the only gaming site that will have journalism now! At least its someplace. Don't be a marketer Patrick! Be a journalist!

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By rethla
@excast said:

@patrickklepek said:

Appreciate the kind comments, and I'll definitely keep the skepticism in mind! Maybe I can help change your mind, maybe not. I'll be doing some streaming and other video and podcast-related stuff on the site, so if reading Kotaku isn't your bag, there'll be other options.

And to try and put this rumor mongering to rest, I left on my own. I'm on terrific terms with everyone at Giant Bomb, and we're all still close friends.

Thanks for the info Patrick and I wish you luck in the future.

Any chance you could let us know what spurred the move or when you decided to make the change? It seemed like up until fairly recently you were still talking about more and bigger content coming from your end once the Cards Against Humanity office opened. And then suddenly with your last few pieces of live content on the site there were some not so subtle hints that changes were coming.

I guess the really confusing thing is that Kotaku definitely doesn't seem to embrace video or personality based content the way Giant Bomb does. In many ways it seems like a step back into the way things used to be and not the way they are or will be in the future.

But again, I sincerely hope it does work out for you even if I can't seem myself visiting that site much at all.

Specifically leaving out that bit is the perfect way to start rumors both god and bad and over exaggerated. Patrick is dealing with stuff like that on daily basis and is well versed in what it can lead to. In other words Patrick has knowing what it can lead to activly chosen to leave that part out for some reason and i think we should respect that.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I once saw an article on Kotaku titled "Why is it so hard to play video games" and it just went on about what a guy did during the day (cleaned the house and other stuff) and highlighted how none of the things he did involved video games during that day.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kotaku now has Jason Schreier, Steven Totillo and Patrick Klepek? I guess it's the only gaming site that will have journalism now! At least its someplace. Don't be a marketer Patrick! Be a journalist!

Never read a Schreier piece that wasn't slobbering over some sub-mediocre jrpg or posting incredibly uninteresting things about maid cafes or something. That dude's a journalist?

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like and respect Scoops, but it is beyond me why he'd leave Giant Bomb for Kotaku. I don't mean to suggest the latter will be a bad fit for him, I just don't understand how you'd ever consider it a step up.

Still, best of luck to him.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi: He's one of the best there is right now. Has broken quite a few big stories the last few years.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kotaku?

... KOTAKU?! Patrick is seriously way too good for that.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it seems like they've been getting better while Polygon has been getting worse, the lesser of two evils I'd say.

Hope he does something cool to elevate the site beyond its reputation.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems weird, leaving GB for Kotaku? ... Well, Patrick has to do what's best for him and I hope it turns out ok. I would like to hear the reasoning behind this though.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asilentprotagonist: Haha. I fucking love Kamiya. He's the best.

@amyggen said:

@amafi: He's one of the best there is right now. Has broken quite a few big stories the last few years.

I'll have a look at his tag over there. Like I said before, I find wading through all the garbage looking for quality writing to be exhausting. Text book example of quantity over quality.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, disappointing, but not surprising considering his past work history with Totilo. I do wish him the best but feel it's a bit of step backwards in regards to personality content, less video...etc. At any rate, I wish him the best and can at least follow along on Twitter and hopefully for side projects with the CAH/IG folks.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wow, I thought Patrick wanted to move forward. Perhaps this is a step up in terms of pay, but other than that I'm not seeing it. I really like Patrick's work but not enough to follow him to Gawker; that network has put out some serious garbage.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as I'm concerned, this is great news. Yeah, Kotaku is largely fluff pieces, but that's all the more reason to be excited for someone like Patrick working there. He's more likely to bring his style to Kotaku than have Kotaku change his style.

I'll be sure to avoid the comments on most of his posts, though. Gawker's current "Fuck it" approach to moderation is sure to lead to plenty of the nastiness that tends to follow Patrick around.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm glad Patrick will get a paycheck. I'm glad that Patrick is glad and moving on to new things. And, I'm happy Kotaku has someone as good as Patrick.

But, mostly I'm glad that that the most obvious nickname for Ben Kuchera is still and will always remain "The Cooch".

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can't say anything here without sounding negative so instead I'm just going to say that I like pizza, both deep-dish and the opposite and the happy middle.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing it's a great career move for him (?), but damn. That feels like a downgrade to me. Oh well, I'm not in the position to judge that sort of move seeing as I'm not Patrick, nor am I into gaming journalism. It hurt when we lost him, but man its hurts a little bit more to learn he went to Kotaku...a place I loathe to visit.

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
The_Dude_Abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#232  Edited By The_Dude_Abides

Haha, called it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@artisanbreads said:

Personally I'd be all on board with them not trying to be a gaming news site at all. Just isn't their strength. I don't mind them covering their bases but I don't see the point in half assed news write ups and a big focus on investigative stories doesn't seem like what this site is about. I never saw that fit with Patrick to be honest.

I dunno, I think they almost have to go in that direction if they continue to expand. The amount of audio/video they've been putting out has been ridiculous since Jason and Dan came aboard, and that's only going to increase once the New York studio is fully operational.

That said, if they're going to do it, they should do it properly. No half measures.

I don't see why "expand" means get a news editor and try to be a news site too, personally.

If I were them, I'd just plug the Gamespot news feed or something into the site to get that result. I'd much rather just have them focus full effort on the type of video content they do. Especially in NYC. I hope all three guys on a three man team are working together on video content and podcasts.

That's what this site is really about.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe Patrick left Giantbomb for Kataku. I wish him the best of luck but I really don't care about Kataku and as much as I like Patrick I don't see myself visiting it anytime soon.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By triplestan

I don't read Kotaku, but I also don't understand the hate that website gets - now that Patrick is working there I'm definitely more interested. They have some great personalities and I think Patrick will fit right in.

And the rumor that Patrick was somehow "pressured" to leave is ridiculous to me. It seems like he was spinning his wheels ever since he moved out to Chicago - other than the video stuff, he wasn't doing much real-ass reporting, and the stuff he was doing was met with a lot of people screaming that it "wasn't what this site is about". Add that to the fact that Stephen Totilo (his old boss) is heading up Kotaku, it's probably a better paying position, and his work will probably be more appreciated. It seems like the move was spurred more by Patrick himself feeling like he could take his creative potential somewhere he could actually fulfill it.

Which is all complete speculation, but either way I'm definitely happy to support Scoops in whatever endeavor, and I'm excited to see what he can do at Kotaku.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

It makes sense. Tons of Kotaku reporters are all over the place, and it's a very "work from home" job. With Giant Bomb, ever since Patrick left for Chicago, he occupied a weird place on the site, because he just felt isolated, since I feel like Giant Bomb is such a collaborative website, and Pat mostly had to work solo.

Also, this is a pretty clear sign that, from an editorial viewpoint, Kotaku isn't gonna back down from talking about social issues.

This is pretty must what I thought. I hope that Klepek will continue breaking news and have interesting pieces. I dropped out of Kotaku long ago, and if they are having Klepek, I hope that means that they will get better.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humm. I'm a person who loved Patrick's content on GB and has never been to Kotaku. I only come to GB and Joystiq for my gaming news/entertainment stuff. So the only reference I have for Kotaku is what other people say about them and it always seemed negative for whatever reason. Maybe I'll give it a chance when he starts posting content.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Pretty mixed feelings on this. The move is very weird, one that I'm guessing is motivated largely by money and an increase in potential readers. Not unexpected, but kind of disappointing. It's likely that as with every writer at Kotaku, the bulk of Patricks work will get lost in the shuffle, which is a shame. Still, I do leaf through Kotakus headlines once every week or two, so I'm gonna come across his byline all the same, so I don't have too much to complain about.

The move does sit strangely though. Probably because he still hasn't made his actual motivation clear, which is odd considering his years of transparency here. Lots of plausible scenarios have been laid out in this thread, but it's all conjecture. And so, it sits strangely.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By nasp

yeah i like patrick,but this is horrible news.hope he is happy over there though,i know i wouldnt be.

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr said:

I can't say anything here without sounding negative so instead I'm just going to say that I like pizza, both deep-dish and the opposite and the happy middle.

I love opposite pizza too.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Glad to gear that there will still be content from you like the stuff you did here. I hope there's something in depth about Kentucky Route Zero when it's finally finished. Best of luck to you!

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great. Now that they hired him, that can free up a writer for round the clock check ins on Assassin's Creed's sexist co-op mode and how it's impacting the world around us.

dotpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#243  Edited By dotpatrick

Between Totillo, Schreier and now Scoops, Kotaku has a pretty stellar collection of reporters.

I know people like to shit on Kotaku for some of the schlock that they post but they do a lot of really great original reporting and I am excited to see what that three-headed beast can do.

I think they also have core of other great writers like Tina Amini, Kirk Hamilton and Nathan Grayson.

Best of luck to Scoops. Great pickup for Kotaku and I think that Scoops will make a great fit for him.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:

@spraynardtatum said:

Never read a Schreier piece that wasn't slobbering over some sub-mediocre jrpg or posting incredibly uninteresting things about maid cafes or something. That dude's a journalist?

I've read some that I thought were researched well. I'm not saying any games journalist is good, because it's nearly all marketing and they all need to be 1000% better, but he's one of the best in my opinion. One of the only ones that at least seems to flirt with the idea of journalistic integrity in the gaming space. I think those three together are about all we have besides Cara Ellison and those that write for larger publications.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I won't be following his new content after all. Ah well. Good luck to him hopefully he's happy at least.

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

What an incredible step down in the world. I wish him the best, but when you work for Gawker the best only goes so far. No ill will to him personally, it's just an awful institution. I'll keep the good memories. I ranted about it on Twitter but thinking about the outside gaming media (Kotaku/Polygon/Destructoid/IGN/whatever) just makes me more happy Giant Bomb exists.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't believe that's where he went, but oh well, still wish him the best.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:

@spraynardtatum said:

I've read some that I thought were researched well. I'm not saying any games journalist is good, because it's nearly all marketing and they all need to be 1000% better, but he's one of the best in my opinion. One of the only ones that at least seems to flirt with the idea of journalistic integrity in the gaming space. I think those three together are about all we have besides Cara Ellison and those that write for larger publications.

I'll be checking his stuff out for sure. It's not like a actively avoid kotaku, it's just that every time I visit, maybe once or twice a week, I'm overwhelmed by the deluge of shitty 40 word stories, video embeds and lists. Basically Buzzfeed levels of "content". I realize that editorial policy over there is shovel out as much shit as possible in a day, but it really does make finding anything actually worth reading very hard. Especially since the worst content always seems to generate the most comments and views, meaning it pushes everything worthwhile off the top stories feed almost immediately.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This makes sense. I was hoping he was going off to do something crazy with Max Temkin but he's just going to continue to work out of the CAH office space, their new office move just happened to line up to his new career move.

I believe all the Kotaku editors work remotely which fits into Patrick's desire to stay in Chicago. Patrick wants to be a games journalist but Giant Bomb was forcing him to split his attention between that and content creation. His Kotaku introduction makes it seem like he will be focusing on breaking news with a little bit of video content on the side.

Kotaku has had mixed results with editorial content and they are a clicks focused site, which is pretty much the opposite of Giant Bomb. Kinda feels like Kotaku is the type of site that Patrick was trying to get away from when he join Giant Bomb but four years can give a person new perspective.

Part of me kinda hopes he is taking his extensive experience at ending websites to take out Kotaku from the inside-out and rejoin Giant Bomb in a year but that is ridiculous right...? I wish him the best of luck and I look forward to seeing content from him soon.