G2A charges €1 per month for inactive users

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

A person on reddit recently found out that they were charged 1 euro for not logging in for 180 days. It turns out that G2A charges you 1 euro per month for "upkeep." G2A is a scummy site. They were known to sell illegal keys and this is one more reason to stay away from the site. If you read their statement below on the issue, it just doesn't make sense.

The official G2A Statement:

G2A PAY charges an inactivity fee after someone has not logged into their G2A.COM account for 180 days. An e-mail is sent 3 days before the charge to remind the user and allow them to log in and easily avoid the fee. This fee is €1 and is taken from the user’s G2A Wallet (if there are no funds on the Wallet, PAY does not charge anything). Another €1 will be taken each month that the user stays inactive. If they log in, the timer resets itself and they have another 180 days before they are charged. If there are no funds left (or no funds to begin with) on their G2A Wallet, then the account is set to inactive. All a user needs to do to reactivate it is log back into G2A.COM. We never force the user to make a transaction or do anything with the funds. It’s just to let the system know the user is active, and the account has not been abandoned.

Why do we do this? To try and explain in as few words as we can:

It costs money to upkeep accounts (IT infrastructure, server maintenance, etc.) and if someone does not use the account, it doesn’t make sense to upkeep it. We don’t require these users to buy anything, just log in at least once every 6 months, just so that we know they are still with us. As a financial institution we are also monitored, supervised, and audited and have to back up and explain all our accounts and the funds stored on these accounts. Once an account may be considered “abandoned,” we take certain steps to make sure we are in line with all regulations, jurisdictions and laws.

On one hand, they say it costs money to maintain accounts. And on the other hand, if the person does not have enough money to pay 1 euro, they aren't charged anything. This is some really shady stuff from a company with an already shady reputation.

Source: Eurogamer

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

"It costs money to upkeep accounts". LMAO. Yeah, you guys are really going to go broke because of one extra entry in a SQL database from an inactive user.

The concerning bit though is where they consider themselves to be a "financial institution". Charging money for an inactive account is absolutely something that a bank would do - it would be totally bullshit in that case too but it's especially funny coming from what is ostensibly a video game retailer.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Reason #357 to despise G2A. What a shitty site.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh, fuck that. I'll admit, I was never above a good G2A deal (I know, I know, I'm not proud), and I overlooked their "Shield" crap as no different than any other scummy warranty system, but this is just ridiculous. Fuck G2A.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just when I thought the scumbags couldn't get any scummier.