Gamer/Internet Etiquette: A GREAT Destructoid Post!

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Terrell

So I was looking over at Destrcutoid (I know, CRAZINESS!!!) But I came across what might be the best blog posts I have ever read. Click HERE to read it!!!

Here is one of my favorite parts though:

"Honestly, I don't give a fuck how cool or not-cool you are with homosexuality. You only get to say something is gay if it is literally homoerotic in nature, or if it is related to Christmas. There are hundreds of better words that will exhibit your frustration. While we're at it, let's also avoid other words whose meaning has slid: don't say slut unless you mean someone whose sexuality is more liberal than your own. Don't use Jew unless you're talking about an adherent of Judaism. Don't say fag unless you're asking Jim Sterling for a cigarette. Don't say retarded unless you're talking about road construction that was slowed down by weather or bureaucracy. And if you're even THINKING about using a word whose sole fucking purpose is to belittle someone based on their race, gender, sexuality, or physical or mental capability, don't even think about it: quit talking. Period. "

So yeah, get to reading!! Here is the link just incase.

http://www.destructoid.com/feel-the-hatred-gamers-103265.phtml#ext
http://www.destructoid.com/feel-the-hatred-gamers-103265.phtml#ext

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Lies

What a good read. Damn well written.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Terrell
Lies said:
"What a good read. Damn well written."
I know. It's a shame something that well written is a rarity in the gaming world.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By brukaoru

Destructoid is by far one of my favorite game journalist websites. They often have really meaningful articles, instead of just posting random news like Joystiq and Kotaku.

I agree, this is a great article, too bad most of the gamers growing up these days don't even know what etiquette is.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

I can check off most of that checklist. Am I cool yet?

Pretty well written though. Don't agree with everything; and he's a bit of a hypocrite, but it's all good. We all are.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By duxup

Great read, thanks for linking it.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Terrell

I just like how a post talking about how we as a gaming community can better ourselves and treat each other better barely gets any posts/reads.. but console war baited threads get 45 posts in the first two minutes...

All I'm saying is, open your minds people and take the time to try and improve yourself... (Myself included)

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By wefwefasdf

I wish people would actually read that article and do what it says. ha

krazychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By krazychris

Good read. I'd say that I follow most of those most of the time. but the whole don't call everything gay thing rings true to me. I try not to but it's easy to slip up when everyone else around you does it. I just need to focus! 

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By KillaMaStA

i feel that hes stereotyping a bit too much. perhaps im just not that hardcore of a gamer  but i honestly believe that there are some decent people on the interenet.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Jesus, who takes the time to write out such a gay, useless article? That guy is a serious faggot.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Vaxadrin
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Jesus, who takes the time to write out such a gay, useless article? That guy is a serious faggot."
PWNED ROFL
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

LOL, what a cock. BRB.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vaxadrin

Seriously, though, that article comes across as obnoxious as the people it's railing against.  Anyone with any form of common decency was already aware of those things, and practices good etiquette regardless.  I also personally enjoy & celebrate the fact that you can do/say whatever you want on the internet without fear of getting punched in the face.  It wouldn't be half as much fun without that.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

It's a big waste of time, that's what it is. Apparently someone appointed him King of the Internet.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Otacon

Well it's a good read, but he is being maybe too stereotypical. I never have a go at people online I wear shirts (really important) blah blah blah. We al know exactly the kind of people he is talking about and yes they are annoying people but much of our forum culture is tongue in cheek, Epic Fail images etc. Most sites still have a positive vibe with this going on as a joke. I do hate people who would feel like a more superior fan if somebody else hadn't been following something as long as them but thats just how things are in most communities and only some of us will ever decide to except that there is such a thing as a new fan who can love something just as much as you can. PAX is used as an example, yet I feel like PAX is evidence against the stereotype, we can go out and socialize, all being normal people. 

Plus I can wear a companion cube Tshirt if I wish, there is nothing wrong with that is there? its the same as band or movie branded T shirts, are they fundamentally wrong too? Kind of over exaggerated but you see what I mean.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
Vaxadrin said:
"Seriously, though, that article comes across as obnoxious as the people it's railing against.  Anyone with any form of common decency was already aware of those things, and practices good etiquette regardless.  I also personally enjoy & celebrate the fact that you can do/say whatever you want on the internet without fear of getting punched in the face.  It wouldn't be half as much fun without that."
Yeah. I didn't want to hurt Terrel's feelings though.
Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Terrell
Vaxadrin said:
"Seriously, though, that article comes across as obnoxious as the people it's railing against.  Anyone with any form of common decency was already aware of those things, and practices good etiquette regardless.  I also personally enjoy & celebrate the fact that you can do/say whatever you want on the internet without fear of getting punched in the face.  It wouldn't be half as much fun without that."
I think the last sentence you wrote is definitely an important one, saying how you like how you can say/do whatever you want on the internet without repercussions.  I was wondering why you honestly feel that way? I ask because, if it is common practice for people to "attack", "belittle" or "make fun of" other people on the internet, what is to stop them from doing it other places? What keeps people from doing it in a grocery story, on an airplane, or in a bar? I believe the physical presence of someone else being there keeps people "in check" and makes them think twice before saying or doing something just for kicks and giggles...  Yes sometimes internet/forum humor is not supposed to be taken seriously, in a very  tounge and cheek sort of way, but it's very inconsistent.  One minute (and this is a generalization) we make these snarky remarks to someone who follows the "status-quo" and buys this year's edition of Madden, and then the next we belittle people who are not in our "status-quo" of liking Rock Band or (instert Game Console Here).  It's just very contradictory in my opinion, but hey I could be wrong, and I don't put down other people for disagreeing with me, that is what I learned from the article...

Also (not directed at you Vaxadrin but moving to another point), I find it funny how people can't just agree to disagree with things.  There is nothing wrong with discussing things, but, in the case of this article, I think that the people saying the poster is wrong for calling out what he perceives to be problems, actually may be hurt because some of the problems that he calls out, they are guilty of themselves... (I know I am/was, so I learned from it).  No one is perfect, and I dont think this guy is saying that he is perfect, but I don't think that he should be hated on just because he wants to call out things that are wrong in the gaming world.  I dont know....hopefully, but my being the original poster and making this thread and linking that article, hopefully I have positively affected the way one person behaves when interacting with people over the internet, in an online game, or in life in general.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vaxadrin

Well I know that, after having read that, at the end of future Halo 3 matches I will say "I think that was an enjoyable match for all parties involved.  Thank you for the entertainment & brief moments of anonymous friendship, my brethren!"

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Vaxadrin said:
""I think that was an enjoyable match for all parties involved.  Thank you for the entertainment & brief moments of anonymous friendship, my brethren!""

FUCK OFF NOOB! SWORD WHORE!
Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Terrell
Vaxadrin said:
"Well I know that, after having read that, at the end of future Halo 3 matches I will say "I think that was an enjoyable match for all parties involved.  Thank you for the entertainment & brief moments of anonymous friendship, my brethren!""
I mean you dont have to say it like that, but I think if more people congratulated people online for good playing, instead of just spouting racial slurrs and using curse words for someone who picked up your favorite weapon the entire match, then things would slowly start to get better for online gaming..
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Endogene
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Vaxadrin said:
""I think that was an enjoyable match for all parties involved.  Thank you for the entertainment & brief moments of anonymous friendship, my brethren!""

FUCK OFF NOOB! SWORD WHORE!"
sword whore...? so that is a whore with a sword? using a sword? whoring a sword? i dont get it
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DualReaver
Endogene said:
"BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Vaxadrin said:

FUCK OFF NOOB! SWORD WHORE!"
sword whore...? so that is a whore with a sword? using a sword? whoring a sword? i dont get it"
STFU BR USER.

j/k

As for the article, I think it's kind of silly. Why get so upset over stuff on the internet and let it annoy you? It's just the internet. :/
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vaxadrin
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"FUCK OFF NOOB! SWORD WHORE!"
While I can see how my tactical focus on a melee-based offense could seem troublesome to someone in such a close-quarters map, I feel that it is entirely justified by the heavy balancing that goes into Bungie's multiplayer games.  I apologize if your feelings were hurt.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By brukaoru

Well I admit the article does go off a little bit into unnecessary places. For example, when he talks about clothes, and then talks about how people should dress for a job. Is he saying all people who play games and wear gaming shirts all dress like that when they go to get a real job? There's plenty of people who don't dress appropriately for a job.

You don't need to express that you like Portal with a shirt that says "The Cake is a Lie". More importantly, you don't need an entire wardrobe of shirts that correspond to your favourite things. Novelty shirts eschew aesthetic merit for blatant marketing.
I like games. I like having shirts that deal with games I like. That's the way I dress. And what's wrong with marketing? If I like the game so much maybe I want others to know about it.

Terrell said:
"Vaxadrin said:
"Well I know that, after having read that, at the end of future Halo 3 matches I will say "I think that was an enjoyable match for all parties involved.  Thank you for the entertainment & brief moments of anonymous friendship, my brethren!""
I mean you dont have to say it like that, but I think if more people congratulated people online for good playing, instead of just spouting racial slurrs and using curse words for someone who picked up your favorite weapon the entire match, then things would slowly start to get better for online gaming.."
There's a lot of immature people on the internet, that includes the people who use racial slurs, those are just plain inconsiderate people. People like to use those words, as well as yell and scream, because they know they will rile other people up. They get a kick out of getting other people angry. That's why half the people that claim to be "fanboys" of a console don't really mean it at all, they just love to get people arguing.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vaxadrin
brukaoru said:
"That's why half the people that claim to be "fanboys" of a console don't really mean it at all, they just love to get people arguing."
Oh man, if I had a dollar for every time I posted "PS3 has no games" and sat back & laughed at the shitstorm...  The Wii-only owners are especially easy to get riled up right now.  Probably because Papa N left to buy cigarettes and never came back.
Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Terrell

I see the points you  all are making, but I guess we can agree to disagree. I just believe that if you are mature enough to be able to use a videogame or the internet and connect online to other players, then you should be "mature" enough or have enough common sense to treat others with decency and respect. But that may go back to parenting or the way people were raised (again, another HUGE generalization, just to be clear, but who knows).