• 93 results
J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By J0n3s1

I read gaming magazine today and my friend spotted article titled "New Deus Ex combines renaissance and cuberpunk" and he said "Cyperpunk is bad music and this game is going to suck."  I told him that cyperpunk isn't music and he still said it will suck because he is only interrested in shooting things.

Then we discussed which one is better ME2 or MW2. I said ME is better because it has interresting story, universum and characters. He answered that those things aren't important.

So i'm asking you do you think that any of these thing are important to you or do just want to shoot things.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DarkShaper

I find the game play part of a game to be important but setting story and characters are also just as important. 

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Honestly the most important part of a game for me is story, i'll play stuff that isnt heavily invested in story but those games dont leave a long term impression on me ;)

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Sooperspy

My favorite game is bioshock, not only for the shooting (which I did like) but for the setting, art style, and story.
So I guess I do care about art, setting, and story in games

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Crixaliz

Both.
I loved the Legacy of Kain series for its storyline despite the gameplay in Defiance being pretty lame.
I also like the Unreal tournament series cause I like shooting people in the face with a flak cannon.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By amir90

As long as I am having fun, that is what is most important for me.

Whatever it is shooting civilians or listening to great dialogs.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By armaan8014

Pretty much EVERYTHING comes together to create a good game. Games based on only one attribute would suck. Gameplay, story, setting, music, environment, characters, realism, art etc etc all come together to form a great gaming experience.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CannonGoose

My older brother always gravitates towards mediocre/generic first person shooters (Frontlines: Fuel of War, FarCry: Instincts - Predator, etc.) instead of playing a variety of genres. Now I know that he definitely knows what he likes, but the thing is he won't even try any great games like Assassin's Creed 2 or Burnout: Paradise; he just dismisses them outright and goes back to playing his drivel. He's just ignorant and keeps letting all these quality titles slip through his fingers and it annoys me to no end.

Also, he didn't listen to a single audio log in Bioshock or Bioshock 2. Just breezed through yet another shooter with average gameplay, totally ignoring the story.

He also hates any third person shooter because, and I quote, "The character is ALWAYS in the way of everything. You can't even aim! Every third person shooter could easily be a FPS."

AND HE HATES CALL OF DUTY. HOW CAN SOMEONE WHO LIKES SHOOTING DUDES AND NOTHING ELSE NOT ENJOY CALL OF DUTY?

It just fucking blows my mind when I think about it.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By damswedon

I've been thinking the same thing just recently.
i went back and played Bioshock 1 again, and can safely say the game part of that game is awful. Shooting feel weak, plasmids feel lame and hacking eels stupid.
however the setting is great, sadly that's all the game has going for it. The game could of been a masterpiece but it is crippled by the game part.
This is also a feeling i get when i play a Metal Gear Solid game, those games have some aweful gameplay but the story and setting hold the game up.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By mazik765
@J0n3s1:  Hate to say it, your friend has the IQ of a 7 year old.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ

You managed to misspell "cyberpunk" at every turn.  

Oh well, there's a lot of aspects required to form a good game, depending on the type of game the developer's are gunning for.  Fighting games either have a non-existent story, a totally stupid one, or an abysmally complex one; but people still enjoy them for different reasons.  Now, games like RPGs, where the plot is usually the driving factor, need a compelling story to be engaging.  It depends on the genre.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheHBK

You need to remember, we are playing games, not reading books or watching a movie.  Gameplay is something that factors in.  And even though ME2 has a great story and characters and you get some alien fucking here and there, the game itself, is not as good as MW2.  And thats the case for a lot of games, some try to approach the story more than the game itself to a higher degree.
Look at oblivion.  For some reason we all spent so many damn hours on that game, yet none of us really found the story memorable.  So how did we end up playing it so fucking much?
Then there is final fantasy where I feel like killing someone and ripping their fucking heart out because they think those games have good characters, stories or even settings.  And the gameplay... ugh.  I grow weary of thinking of those games.
So I suppose the lesson is that games sure as hell need more than story and characters to be good and usually gameplay trumps it because of how most of us think. Not all of us. you maybe one of those few.  But we usually can forgive a crappy story if the game is fun.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By JB16

Story is easilly one of the most important parts of a game. I'm the type of person that sees 30+ minute cutscenes as a plus in a game, I'm the type of person that likes the conversations in the Bioware games more than the combat.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By napalm

I think expectations are different when it comes to different games. If somebody is into Modern Warfare 2, it's probably because they just wants the generic spray'n pray multiplayer feeling and nothing more. It's the reason why I played Dead To Rights II. The game isn't good, but I don't play it for the story. I play it for the relentless, crazy action. The same can be said for any Metal Slug game I play(ed), Godhand, etc.

On the flip side however, games with rich fiction, settings and styles, I can appreciate for those reasons. Doom 3, System Shock 2, Mass Effect / 2, Max Payne, Dead Space - these are all games that I come for the fiction, setting and the unique (or at least well-done) sense of art style. This isn't to say I don't pay attention to the mechanics, but everything combined, makes a fuller and more well rounded experience. The only issue I can say with some of these, is they eventually use their luster with the fiction and setting. This I feel, is because they feel more cinematic and story-driven, and I don't feel the repeat play is always there, except for exceptions such as Mass Effect 2 (that has choices you can make than effect certain actions in the game).

I think every gamer needs both types of games in their collection. Having too much of any one game that make their tastes and views on games incredibly lopsided.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Goly

Depends. A game with good shooting elements but a bad sense of style, bad story and bad setting might be good and a game that has a terrific sense of style but mediocre gameplay might be considered terrible. I don't know man, things are so relative sometimes.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@JB16 said:
" Story is easilly one of the most important parts of a game. I'm the type of person that sees 30+ minute cutscenes as a plus in a game, I'm the type of person that likes the conversations in the Bioware games more than the combat. "
Agreed.  I assume you're also one of the people who don't mind long set-ups to RPGs and such?  Like, I have no problem with the 30 minutes of pressing the "X" button in the beginning of Persona 3 or Persona 4, because that's establishing the world you're in.  You're just a normal teenager until something radical happens, so why would you want them to rush things and make it so that in 5 minutes of playing you're already fighting something?  I blame impatience.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By KowalskiManDown

If a game doesn't focus on story... I generally ain't interested.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Ace829

If it's an RPG or Adventure game then I value story over gameplay. Anything else, gameplay.

SofaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By SofaKing

Yeah, depends on the game, and on personal preference. If you're looking at a primarily single-player experience then story's almost always quite important. Overall I'd take Mass Effect 2 over Modern Warfare 2 any day. MW2's a great game, but I find I'm personally getting quite tired of the war FPS genre. I'd rather play Left 4 Dead if I'm going to play a shooter, or Street Fighter IV if I want to play really competitively. And both of those don't even really have a story (the L4D series definitely doesn't and no one cares about SFIV's).

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, gameplay is what defines the medium, and I believe that it certainly takes priority over story, but a good story can also help compensate for "meh" gameplay, as evidenced by Metal Gear Solid (and Mass Effect 1 while we are at it)

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Korne

I will continue to play a game with an interesting setting/character/story, even if it has bad gameplay (I'm looking at you Odin Sphere/Mad World/No More Heroes). 

I will tend to get bored with games that have great gameplay with mediocre setting/character/story (I'm looking at you Borderlands/Twilight Princess) 

I prefer the game to have both awesome setting/characters/story as well as great gameplay (Batman AA, Uncharted, Bioshock)
Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like a balance of both, but most stories in games make me laugh so I don't really give a shit about them these days unless I want a good laugh.
 I'll stick with online shooters and RTS.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArchScabby

I like story at setting a lot, but I still put game play over it.  A gaame with a good story, but isn't fun to play is still a bad game in my opinion.  But a game with a stupid story and is tons of fun to play is still good.  Just Cause 2 for example.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

Seeing as all I played Yakuza 3 for was the awesome overly-melodramatic soap opera mafia story, then yeah... story's pretty important. The gameplay has to be passable though. 

Likewise a game with a passable story is fine if the gameplay is awesome. 

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By evanbrau

Deus Ex 3s setting and art style looks horrible especially in context with the two other games in the series. Part of why Deus Ex is so good is the fact its setting and art style are very familiar just made a whole lot darker and more depressing. It created a convincing and atmospheric future at every turn without having to resort to insane shit and since this new game is set before the first the crazy renaissance, cyberpunk style makes no sense at all and has actually turned me off the game.

Also gameplay is probably more important but a good setting, art style and story are also an integral part of the experience.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By frankfartmouth

I like all genres, but I'm definitely partial to RPGs and adventure games because story, setting, and art style are a bit more important to me, but I like a good fragfest as much as anyone. I've talked to lots of people who won't play anything but shooters, but I haven't run into nearly as many who won't play anything but RPGs. It seems that FPSs attract more of the one-genre-only type players
tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tomte

As long as the gameplay isn't frustrating, story is the most important. For ex. the story of Mirrors Edge is great imo, but the gameplay is extremely frustrating leaving me not wanting to play the game anymore.
On the other hand, i really like the gameplay in the Dynasty warrior games, but theres no story whatsoever.
So it all just dependson what mood im in, some longtime storydriven action or just mindless fun

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive
@J0n3s1: 
lets get one thing straight. story, characters, and setting do not equal great game.   
And then there are games that don't even have a story or setting at all and are fucking excellent games. 
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By luce

The last videogame that had a good story (imo) was Metal Gear Solid 3 

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MadeinFinland
@Redbullet685 said:
" My favorite game is bioshock, not only for the shooting (which I did like) but for the setting, art style, and story. So I guess I do care about art, setting, and story in games "
I second this. Bioshock is incredible, because the atmosphere, graphics, story, and music of the game is so spectacular and unique. 
And yeah, I agree that ME beats MW.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By JB16
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @JB16 said:
" Story is easilly one of the most important parts of a game. I'm the type of person that sees 30+ minute cutscenes as a plus in a game, I'm the type of person that likes the conversations in the Bioware games more than the combat. "
Agreed.  I assume you're also one of the people who don't mind long set-ups to RPGs and such?  Like, I have no problem with the 30 minutes of pressing the "X" button in the beginning of Persona 3 or Persona 4, because that's establishing the world you're in.  You're just a normal teenager until something radical happens, so why would you want them to rush things and make it so that in 5 minutes of playing you're already fighting something?  I blame impatience. "
Exactly! Persona 3 is one of my favorite games just for that reason, I love how the game encourages you to get to know your characters, hell the game almost makes it a requirement.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive

so why is MW2 being played way more than ME2?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bigandtasty
@ArbitraryWater said:
" Well, gameplay is what defines the medium, and I believe that it certainly takes priority over story, but a good story can also help compensate for "meh" gameplay, as evidenced by Metal Gear Solid (and Mass Effect 1 while we are at it) "
Pretty much how I feel. Great gameplay is the most important thing to me. If a game has mediocre gameplay, other aspects like story, atmosphere, and visual style can certainly keep me interested.
Dyermaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dyermaker
@AestheticSynthesis said:
" I'd like a balance of both, but most stories in games make me laugh so I don't really give a shit about them these days unless I want a good laugh. I'll stick with online shooters and RTS. "
This basically.  A good story is nice, but it's really rare that I'll get more than a few hours into a single player game without losing interest these days.  I'm mostly interested in competitive multiplayer, overcoming a human opponent.  When I sit down to play a single player game, I just get the overwhelming feeling that I'm wasting my time, and would be better off reading a book or watching a movie
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ZenaxPure

Sort of like others have said a game can focus on one or the other and still be good for me assuming one of the aspects (story or gameplay) is compelling. Someone used No More Heroes as an example and I think that fits perfect, I wouldn't call the gameplay bad but I certainly can't say I was having fun outside of the boss battles and yet I played all the way to the end because that game was crazy madness with hilarious characters and cutscenes. And then you have something like Super Mario Galaxy that has pretty much no story or cutscenes yet was insanely fun to play and take on the challenges. 

And then you have those rare games that mix both gameplay and plot together to make an absolutely amazing experience and some of my more memorable and favorite games.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By angelkanarias

those are the things that make videogames an art. But I always enjoy beating the shit out of something or someone (in videogames). I enjoyed Ironman, but the story is a bit distant to other type of movies, such as dramas. That doesn't mean that Ironman isn't awesome, they're just different types of delivering a product. Some of them can be seen as an art, others just as a form of entertainment.

Dyermaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dyermaker
@ChristOnIce said:
"Furthermore, they are only great "for being a game story."  No game comes close to the likes of Alexander Pope, Samuel Beckett, or Ingmar Bergman."

One might say video game storytelling is still waiting for Godot
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By monetarydread
Story is the least important part of a game to me. Gameplay is the most important part to me and because of that I actually enjoyed Modern Warfare 2 more than Mass Effect 2, I didn't enjoy Bioshock in the slightest, and have put over thirty hours into Just Cause 2 . Story has its place in games though and I agree with "TheHBK," on this one. If I want to experience a good story I will just read a book, or watch a movie.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#39  Edited By Yummylee

The gameplay comes first, no doubt. But a high quality story and production can really help improve the gameplay drastically with adding in extra motivations to get through it all.
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

art style and setting are some of the most important factors to me

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TwoLines

Old games had little to no story- and we loved them.
If the story kicks ass, then we can overlook a limping gameplay.
But if the story sucks- but the gameplay is awesome- well, we play multiplayer games, and there's no story there..
I value the story more than gameplay nowadays though.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Illmatic

The "arteest" in me wants to say that story is the most important to me but I've played games with no story whatsoever but had awesome gameplay and was perfectly fine with that. Granted, a good story can elevate a game from good to great but I can't really bring to mind a game that had lackluster gameplay but an amazing story that kept me going. I could name a few with the opposite traits though.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Everything needs to come together for a good game. I loved BioShock, but I found the gameplay to be a little boring.  Then again, I don't like RPG's so...

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

If i can predict everything thats going to happen, a game gets boring...

JoGribbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JoGribbs

I look to different games for different things. I really enjoyed Borderlands even though there was essentially no plot, but I also enjoy Metal Gear Solid, which is essentially nothing but plot.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By TheHT

mindless shooting or fighting doesn't quite do it for me, i need some sort of context and sense in the game to enjoy it, be it a zombie apocalypse or some sci-fi epic. UNLESS the gameplay is so ridiculously fun; i must've just played jedi outcast maps, just spawning hordes of reborn to chop to pieces for months on end.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes, it's definitely important. Do I need to say more?

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kishan6
@armaan8014 said:
" Pretty much EVERYTHING comes together to create a good game. Games based on only one attribute would suck. Gameplay, story, setting, music, environment, characters, realism, art etc etc all come together to form a great gaming experience. "
mostly i agree but... i think if u have  gameplay and nothing else as long as the gameplay is awesome then who needs the others.  think of geometry wars and tetris.  however i absolutely love a good story
SofaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SofaKing
@TheHT said:
" mindless shooting or fighting doesn't quite do it for me, i need some sort of context and sense in the game to enjoy it, be it a zombie apocalypse or some sci-fi epic. UNLESS the gameplay is so ridiculously fun; i must've just played jedi outcast maps, just spawning hordes of reborn to chop to pieces for months on end. "
Mindless isn't a very good word to describe a lot of FPS or fighting games. A game like Street Fighter IV, for instance, requires a large amount of mental training, reflexes and focus, among other things. At higher levels of play, or even any decent level of play, a game like SFIV requires thought patterns similar to chess. It's far, far from mindless.
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By agentboolen
@J0n3s1:  The fact is ME2 vs MW2 isn't fair just for the fact that your comparing a online multiplayer game for a single player game.  2 totally different game plays.  And not to mention both games have a huge amount of detail put into them.  Look at a game like Bioshock 1 & 2 there is so much detail there that some players may feel like that game is fucking your eyes while you play it.  There is just so much to look at that you can't help not being blown away by the visuals.  Either way lots of game players care about graphical details and lots just want to blow shit up.  Its 2 totally different type of players.  But switch there MW2 with a N64 shooter and then you'll hear them complain about the graphics, so in the end all gamers are the same to a point.