Games you think will be in the debate for 2011 Game of the Year?

bennym6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bennym6

This is mainly for Giant Bomb's (non intern) Game of the year. Remember 2008, the battle of Metal Gear Solid 4 vs GTA IV? Or 2009 with Uncharted 2 vs Batman Arkham Asylum. 2010 didn't really have a heated debate between the guys. They all just agreed that Mass Effect 2 was simply the best game of 2010 without having to argue for 3+ hours. Personally I think LA Noire, Skyrim and Portal 2 will be in the discussion but similar to 2010 with Mass Effect 2, Skyrim will be the unanimous victor just like Alistair Overeem will be at UFC 141.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AuthenticM

I think it's going to be a duel between Skyrim and Saints Row The Third.

Carnage1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Carnage1290

Skyrim vs. Bastion would be my guess.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Timing

Dark Souls and Rayman Origins! Yeah!

No. Batman, Skyrim and Bastion.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Hamz

At a guess I'd say something between Batman, Uncharted and Skyrim.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

Skyrim, Bastion/Portal 2, and Saint's Row The Third.

They seemed to have soured on LA Noire some after the fact.

bennym6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By bennym6

@Doctorchimp: You could be right. Saints Row and Bastion will be up their also.

oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By oobs

skyrim maybe LA noire only thing bring that down i dont thing has played it..and the ending is not great

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By EvilKatarn

I really hope Vinny pushes hard for Dark Souls or Witcher 2.

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Mijati

Trackmania 2

Well... maybe there'll be a most dubsteppiest game award and it'll get that.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mortal_sb

@Doctorchimp said:

Skyrim, Bastion/Portal 2, and Saint's Row The Third.

They seemed to have soured on LA Noire some after the fact.

this is my guess too. we already know that bastion is #1 on brads list. so he'll probably fight for it.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By CheapPoison

skyrim, portal 2 and saints row.

portal 2 is probably just me thinking it has a chance.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By korolev

Well, technically they say they'll discuss almost every game... but realistically we know that it'll come down to these:

1. Skyrim (Duh)
  2. Batman Arkham City
  3. Portal 2
  4. Uncharted 3 (it has a shot, but not a good one)
  5. Saint's Row The Third
  6. Bastion (It's just a really, really good game. Jeff and Brad loved it, so they'll be sure to at least mention it).
  7. Gears of War 3 (don't get your hopes up for this one)
  8. Modern Warfare 3 (almost certainly won't win)
  9. Battlefield 3 (ditto)
  10. L.A Noire (won't win - don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but it won't win)
  11. Infamous 2

Don't even bother asking about Dragon Age II or Killzone 3, both of which I enjoyed. Killzone 3 came out way too early and didn't do anything radically better than Killzone 2 and Dragon Age 2 was disappointing, even if it was a good game. It was just so much worse than Origins. Also, only Vinny played DAII - and he didn't care about it that much.

My money is on Skyrim being GB's game of the year. Personally, mine is Portal 2, with Skyrim being my 2nd favourite of this year. Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad have all played it, and have all agreed on it being pretty damn excellent. Jeff didn't like LA Noire all that much, and even he was kinda cool on Arkham City, which was a great game, but not as exciting as Asylum, mostly because you know largely what it's like going into it. Bastion was great... absolutely great.... wonderful, in fact. But I just don't think they are going to give a downloadable game the GOTY award. I wish they would! But they probably won't.

It'll come down to a fight between Skyrim, Arkham City, Bastion and maybe Portal 2, with a very distant mention of Uncharted 3 (which was also a good game). Out of all the games released this year, Skyrim has undoubtedly made the biggest public impact and it's about the only game all four of them really, really like. It'll be Skyrim.

Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Balex1908

If they have the same rules as last year it will be between Skyrim, Bastion and Zelda. There is no way Batman will win Multiplatfom GOTY over Skyrim, Bastion will win DLG GOTY. UC 3 will win PS 3 so it gets mentioned, and Zelda wins the Wii.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mikey87144

@Korolev said:

Well, technically they say they'll discuss almost every game... but realistically we know that it'll come down to these:

1. Skyrim (Duh)
  2. Batman Arkham City
  3. Portal 2
  4. Uncharted 3 (it has a shot, but not a good one)
  5. Saint's Row The Third
  6. Bastion (It's just a really, really good game. Jeff and Brad loved it, so they'll be sure to at least mention it).
  7. Gears of War 3 (don't get your hopes up for this one)
  8. Modern Warfare 3 (almost certainly won't win)
  9. Battlefield 3 (ditto)
  10. L.A Noire (won't win - don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but it won't win)
  11. Infamous 2

Don't even bother asking about Dragon Age II or Killzone 3, both of which I enjoyed. Killzone 3 came out way too early and didn't do anything radically better than Killzone 2 and Dragon Age 2 was disappointing, even if it was a good game. It was just so much worse than Origins. Also, only Vinny played DAII - and he didn't care about it that much.

My money is on Skyrim being GB's game of the year. Personally, mine is Portal 2, with Skyrim being my 2nd favourite of this year. Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad have all played it, and have all agreed on it being pretty damn excellent. Jeff didn't like LA Noire all that much, and even he was kinda cool on Arkham City, which was a great game, but not as exciting as Asylum, mostly because you know largely what it's like going into it. Bastion was great... absolutely great.... wonderful, in fact. But I just don't think they are going to give a downloadable game the GOTY award. I wish they would! But they probably won't.

It'll come down to a fight between Skyrim, Arkham City, Bastion and maybe Portal 2, with a very distant mention of Uncharted 3 (which was also a good game). Out of all the games released this year, Skyrim has undoubtedly made the biggest public impact and it's about the only game all four of them really, really like. It'll be Skyrim.

I agree. I think it should be Skyrim.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By sopranosfan

Skyrim, Batman, or Portal 2.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Hunter5024

I don't think there could be too much of a debate in terms of the actual game of the year this time around, because all the biggest contenders are in the multiplatform category. Uncharted and Infamous are sony's biggest hitters this year and the general consensus among giantbomb is that they didnt live up to their predecessors. Xboxs most likely candidates are gears 3 and Bastion, but Jeff's the only one who cared for gears, and Bastion will probably be considered multiplatform because of its PC release. For Multiplatform it will probably come down to Saints Row The Third, Skyrim, and (hopefully) Bastion.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DukesT3

Killzone 3 came out this year?!? Fuck.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By christ0phe

No chance LA Noire

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It should be really close this year. There doesn't seem to have really been any games that totally stand out from the crowd. Skyrim is the only one that sort of does that, but the bugs and things pull it right back into the mix with the rest of the games.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zombie2011

Mine was between Skyrim and Bastion, however, i went back to playing Gears 3 and thats now taken the top spot.

I haven't had any problems with Skyrim, but with what happens on the PS3 i kinda don't want it to win GOTY.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Julmust

I wish someone would mention Rayman Origins. Others may be, Skyrim, Batman and Saints Row The Third.

MrFwankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrFwankie

I have a feeling that Brad is going to throw Dead Space 2 into the mix (I think he reviewed it).

jd18b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jd18b

I'd say Skyrim for multiplatform. I haven't played Saints Row: The third so I can't say much about that. Batman will probably get Xbox GOTY and Uncharted 3 for PS3 GOTY. Dead Space 2 will get some recognition and LA Noir doesn't stand a chance.
As for Bastion, I don't know if they will even consider it for the same reasons try didn't do a review. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see that game get it, but I just don't see it happening. Skyward Sword will win for Wii and I hope to god The Witcher 2 get it for PC. All in all, I'm looking forward to the GOTY Bombcast and hearing what they hv to say on the matter.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Andorski

Skyrim, Portal 2, Saints Row: The Third, and dark horse Bastion.

The crew as a whole really liked Batman and Uncharted, but both games left them not wanting more. I'd say that is enough to take them out of the running.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Jeust

Witcher 2 and Dead Space 2 will be there.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Skyrim or Portal 2 are really the only games that are in a true GOTY tier this year, with the exception of Witcher 2, which only Vinny played.

Possible other candidates would be Saints Row 3, Bastion, or Mortal Kombat.

Anyone saying Batman or Uncharted (both fantastic, but flawed games) clearly hasn't been paying attention. I also wouldn't expect any real discussion for Gears 3, Deus Ex, LittleBigPlanet 2, LA Noire, or Dead Space 2 beyond "these are the games that round out the truly fantastic games of the year".

Clockwk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Clockwk

I think it is going to be an interesting discussion on whether or not Skyrim's issues on PS3 should be held against it. On one hand, from a purely rational standpoint, you can only really fairly judge a game based on the experience you had with it. However on the other hand there are millions of gamers who bought the game of PS3 and its totally unplayable for them? So where do you draw that line where you have to take into account those kind of issues. I fully expect a long and grueling discussion around that topic.