Gamespot

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By iceman228433

I stopped going to Gamespot when Jeff and crew left years ago, but now that they are back I bookmarked it again, and Man that site is kind of lame it's some of the most generic stuff ever. There seems to be no personality to that site and there news is not great either, and now i have a member ship for a year that seems to add nonething but no adds. I suppose my point is that it's amazing that after all these years, Gamespot just never recovered form when Jeff and crew left. If I am missing something awesome please let me know what it could be.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By 71Ranchero

Pretty sure you dont have to like it. Not as sure about why people think its a good idea to make these threads.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iceman228433

Not even saying I hate Gamespot more just wondering if there is something I am missing?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

The Escape from Mount Stupid videos are pretty cool.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

Remind me not to put you in charge of foreign policy when Giant Bomb eventually takes over the continent of North America.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

All of the Gamespot UK content is grand. Start/Select and Escape From Mount Stupid in particular. It has a number of much more likeable personalities as well.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By TentPole

I watched one episode of Start/Select and thought it was awful. I like Kevin VanOrd's RPG livestreams though.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Gamespot has some quality staff still. Mainly Kevin Vanord, would love to hear him on a bombcast sometime. Maybe when Dark Souls PC comes out.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I can't listen or watch GameSpot. FOr years now they have just felt like corporate marketing mouth pieces. They are the Mitt Romney of video game web sites.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Yeah... after Jeff and the eventual Bomb Crew left, It really kinda killed off the personality that Gamespot established. Kinda cliche to say, but it pretty much went "corporate" after about half a year/ year.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I dunno, they've got this bomb-based service called FUSE which aggregates all of your achievement points into one convenient place- I mean, where else on the internet will you find that kind of originality? 

EDIT: Well, now that GB's joined CBS, they've removed that weird bomb logo from their site. Weird.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Xeirus

I got the email for the free year or w/e and just deleted it. I don't hate Gamespot, but what i want out of a game website I get from GB.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Aaron_G

GameSpot has some descent stuff, it's not like the old days but those times are over and everyone has moved on.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By damswedon

The GSUK stuff is good. Danny o'Dwyer's Escape from Mount Stupid is one of my favourite internet series at the moment.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

I to this day still frequent a favorite GS Union of mine since before Giant Bomb even formed. Dude, those union pages STILL have that old '05-'07-ish look to them if you click the right links. Gamespot's alright, though. They cover video games better than decently, especially when compared to the good ol' Bomb these days. I think they used to be especially creative when some of the "older crew" was still around, sure, but they shouldn't be pegged as generic. I don't know what sort of membership stuff you can have for that site, but I just wanna say that I think those guys shouldn't be compared to the staff here all the time, and just be accepted as the staff they are now. I mean, it's not like they are complete asshole-dickfaces. Read a couple of these guys' and gals' blogs, and they seem super friendly.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By wadtomaton

I'm personally a fan of John Davison, so I'm willing to give it some time to see where things go. I thought he did a nice job of helping to turn Gamepro from complete garbage into something more worthwhile (I was actually sad to see Gamepro die :/ ) and I believe he can do the same for Gamespot. Not to say Gamespot is as bad as Gamepro was but I'd still rather go to Gamespot than IGN.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Escape from Mount Stupid video was pretty dumb 

**I meant to say that I liked it**

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By JasonR86

@iceman228433:

Why would you post this? What would you expect any of us to say?

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iceman228433

@JasonR86: I asked for cool things I may be missing from Gamespot and i got The Escape from Mount Stupid and its very good so I would say this thread was a success.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yoctoyotta

@demonknightinuyasha said:

I'm personally a fan of John Davison, so I'm willing to give it some time to see where things go. I thought he did a nice job of helping to turn Gamepro from complete garbage into something more worthwhile (I was actually sad to see Gamepro die :/ ) and I believe he can do the same for Gamespot. Not to say Gamespot is as bad as Gamepro was but I'd still rather go to Gamespot than IGN.

Yeah, John Davison gives me a bit of hope for Gamespot. I'm like the OP otherwise. I (maybe unfairly) turned my back on Gamespot as soon as that Kane and Lynch stuff happened and was pretty bummed out every time I went back to see what the site was up to. I was an old school Gamespot fan too. I had been following them pretty much since videogames.com was just a "coming soon" splash page. Being a Jawbreaker fan and having Blake Schwarzenbach write a few pieces for them didn't hurt either.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By JasonR86

@iceman228433 said:

@JasonR86: I asked for cool things I may be missing from Gamespot and i got The Escape from Mount Stupid and its very good so I would say this thread was a success.

Ok. Fair enough. Ever since GiantBomb and Gamespot became sister-brother sites there have been quite a few 'Gamespot sucks!' threads. Not enough to rival the 'IGN sucks!' threads but close. That's what I was expecting this thread to turn into.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By MachoFantastico

The Gamespot UK stuff is pretty good actually, but yeah the US stuff is lacking.  

To me it just lacks characters and a face to represent what the sites about. 

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Masha2932

I think Gamespot is OK. I like their Skyrim mods show. I think Brad was even on one some weeks ago.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TentPole

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

I am with you on this one.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By asurastrike

Whoever wants it, here's my Gamespot Total Access code. I really have no interest in ever going to Gamespot.

4864ac42c8d7

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By myke_tuna

Personally, I just like the code because come E3, I'm going to be using their site (mostly for the press conference live streams). I don't know if being Total Access gives me anything good, but it was free so... meh.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27  Edited By GS_Dan

Wait, you guys got those emails already? I haven't got mine :|

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By tourgen

@Breadfan: thanks, those are pretty good. Actually a lot of gamespot UK stuff seems pretty good.

Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shindiggah

I like their top five skyrim mods of the week, but that's about it. The only thing about that site that really stands out for me is the high amount of activity on their forums and the Unions, although the latter's kind of dying off.

I almost never use my account over there anymore anyways tbh.

Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By optimusprime223

I like Gamespot still. Especially Giancarlo was on the bombcast. He really sounded like he wanted to make it cool again, and the recent articles on the state of the industry and some extremely personal to the staff pieces really start to get a personality going for the site again.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BonOrbitz

I haven't been back to Gamespot since Gerstmanngate (do people still call it that?) and refused to support their website in anyway. I love John Davison and what he did for Gamepro. It got me to subscribe after not reading the magazine since 1990, so hearing that he joined Gamespot got me interested in the site again but not enough for me to deviate from my usual Giantbomb/Joystiq/IGN daily rounds.

Now that Giant Bomb joined them, I've checked out the site a couple of times and signed up for the free Total Access code strictly for the live E3 pressers. I'll continue to check out Gamespot occasionally, but I think any continued interest in the site just isn't there like it used to be (I'm not harboring a grudge anymore, BTW).

sparks50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sparks50

I occasionally visit Gamespot for their game and reviews archive. You can find info on a lot of games from the late nineties.

solidwolf52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By solidwolf52

They aren't as bad as IGN...not that that's saying much.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By Little_Socrates

I read reviews and articles by Kevin VanOrd, Giancarlo Varanini, and Carolyn Michelle whenever they post them on Twitter. Also, just followed John Davison because I just realized I wasn't following him, so I'll probably be reading his work too.

They're a team of very solid writers, and Kevin and Carolyn actually manage to express a lot of personality based on what they choose to write about. It's not as vibrant as Giant Bomb, but they're not a personality-based site. The only other personality based sites I can really think of are Destructoid, The Escapist (uuuuugh), and Polygon, and I'd feel more comfortable with calling G4 personality-based if I didn't think they were really just aiming for a specific aesthetic.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#35  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I've been browsing it here and there and it's certainly better than it was 4 years ago. The editorial staff that isn't Kevin van Ord still lacks for personality and the site layout is still fairly muddled, but I do not feel active distaste for anything that is going on there and in fact find Escape from Mount Stupid and IT CAME FROM XBOX LIVE to be amusing most of the time.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hockeymask27

It's not so bad they have started to turn it around.

spacetrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By spacetrogg

Its doing ok, it had been in a really dark patch for a couple of years after Jeff and the guys left, but it seems to be slowly pulling out of that with its more feature based approach.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MethodMan008

Gamespot has some good staff. Chris Watter, Shaun McInnis, Kevin VanOrd, Justin Calvert, etc... But for some reason I don't really read any of their articles even though I'm on their forums all the time.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sonicrift

I've said this before... Like many of you, I've avoided Gamespot like the plague, even if that meant not getting the info or the E3 livestream I was looking for. My ban is over, and this year's E3 is going to be so easy!

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SlightConfuse

never visited gamesport in the past, when i found GB , i went here but it seemes to be souless besides kevin van ord

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Flawed_System

I look at their reviews once in awhile, in addition to IGN's, GameInformer etc. This is usually when I'm trying to decide on a game I'm not too sure about. I have an account there, but I haven't posted on the forums because they look like a mess and the mods seem like dicks.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TentPole said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

I am with you on this one.

Oops!  I meant to say that I thought it was great