Gaming genres you try to like but just can't

• 58 results
ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sports Games is my big one. There are some genres I don't like and have no desire to like, but I want to like Sports Games, and I suppose in some way I do like some of them, the more out there or crazy ones, Dead Ball Zone for instance or Pitball. I'd like to play actual sports games though, hockey for instance.
But the way they are made, for the audience they are made for almost completely blocks me out.
I'd love to just put the disc in, see a main menu, have the option to play starting at the bottom but working your way up to winning the big sports thingy and also have an option to disable all of the rules pretty much. I played a hockey game once where I shot the puck and it hit the side of the arena and sort of slid along up and around the goalies net and the game came to a stop and was all "icing penalty" and it was such a drag to me. I want the action to keep going and it literally stopped be because I hit the puck and it went somewhere. THOUGHT THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO GO GAME, HIT THE PUCK!

And I realize you can do some of this stuff in some games, but it never seems clear to me. There's always a million menu options, sometimes they have story modes, but I don't really care, I just want to lead my team to sports victory against all the other teams (or lose I guess) and sometimes that seems like it's a 'career' mode but sometimes it's a 'tournament' mode and sometimes it's something all together or none of those or doesn't exist at all. And then I just want to turn the rules off, but sometimes you can't or I can't find them or blahblahblah.

That's why I like alternative sports games so much I guess. In Dead Ball Zone you pick 'tournament' and there you go, you start low and keep winning until you win the tournament, and the rules are literally so open that murdering the other team is encouraged.

I don't like clicking on the ground. Dunno why.

I love that, I want that to be the new name of RTS style games. "Have you played the latest ground clicker yet?"

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried a lot to get into the various Souls games, but they just aren't for me. Despite that, I still enjoy watching other people play them.

tHAT_eXILE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tangygeoduck: Splinter Cell blacklist would be right up your alley. You have the ability to go loud at literally any point.

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Whatever genre the Souls games are. I got no problem with difficult games, but I walked away after about ten hours with DS2 feeling frustrated at how cheap the game could get at times. Plus I really have zero patience for games where you have to look up an online FAQ to progress.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@jaycrockett: That's really cool. Maybe you don't like the isometric perspective? I can see how being so far removed from the action can reduce how immersive the game is. Also, those games can be a lot of micromanagement and busiwork to get the right units at the right places.

When i think about it, i love click on the floor games.

Starcraft, Warcraft, Dota, Diablo , Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, Planescape Torment, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Populous the beginning, Black & White. Among my favorite games :D

I also love it when games let you modify your attacks with all kinds of modifiers. Lifesteal, splash damage, armor reduction etc.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really sure what the exact name for these is, but I guess "leisure games" would be the best way to describe them? Basically what I'm talking about is the Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon type of game. I keep seeing these games and saying to myself "I can relax and get dozens of hours out of these," but that's never how it works out. I play for about 2 hours (not even necessarily in one sitting) before feeling bored out of my skull every time I look at the game icon. But every time one of them comes out, the most recent one I've tried being Stardew Valley, I somehow convince myself that I like the genre or am in the right mindset for one of those.

Yumewaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Horror I suggest RE 1 remake, Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly.

Despite my best effort, I can't get into Souls games. Everything about them seems cool. I'm not entirely opposed to grinding or retreading old ground when I've made that choice to do so. But Souls games demand it. That's where they lose me.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know something? I love watching fighting games in motion but cannot dive in to actually play them beyond a story mode.