Giant Bomb TV!

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By htr10

How is everyone else liking Giant Bomb TV so far? I'm loving it.

The choices for the last video poll were:

Horizon Zero Dawn DLC Quick Look, Part 63 of the Persona 4 Endurance Run, the 3 hour long Meet the Future of Playstation talk from 2013, This Ain't No Game on House of the Dead from 2009, an I Love Mondays from 2013, the Nat Geo TV Kinect Quick Look, the Stacking Quick Look, a Left 4 Dead 2 Interview from PAX in 2009, the Hidden Agenda Quick Look, and an Unprofessional Fridays from 2017.

This feature is amazing. 24/7 nonsense to share with the Giant Bomb community. Thank you Giant Bomb team for this.

fenster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It is really rad. I really rarely go back and watch old GB videos, but something about having chat there to interact with makes it really special.

tommije

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is really fun, finding some real gems in old videos. I would suggest to increase voting times for next video.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It’s definitely great to have the nostalgia of things like the Whiskey Media Happy Hour, or early quick looks. I rarely have time to go back and look for fun old videos, but throwing GBTV on in the background while I work is a nice feature.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm glad I don't have any data caps!

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I... don’t know what this is?! When/where is it?

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I love it so much that I had to make a logo for it based off of the old school MTV logo.

No Caption Provided

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I’m enjoying it as something to have on in the background. It does seem like the voting system means there is going to be a bias towards feature and series videos rather than quick looks which is a bit of a shame

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think it's really cool.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's amazing

Predacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's amazing! love it on in the background.

BUT.....

Longer poll timers are needed. If we could change out vote would be great to.

Also some kind of RTV (rock the vote) system would be good if some videos drag to long.

But yeh amazing RIP my data caps

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's really addictive. Almost too addictive.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bybeach

I'm loving it. But my views on voting may be different than others. I would almost like eliminating voting and just setting sail on random. And the last thing I would want is down voting a video because it is 'too long'. Never been big on 'consensus' or facsimile of determining what I might see.

Let the dice roll.

bDuder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to sign up for premium soon, excited to try it out

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's a beta but it already seems kind of perfect. Like those random GB video apps, but in an official capacity with chat. Nice way to leverage an endless back catalog.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've noticed some framerate issues on 1080p videos and a bit lower video quality sometimes, but other than that - the feature is great. I think it would be nice to have the next-video polls runs a bit longer tho (like 60-90 seconds). It's an awesome feature. Great way for me to just always be wasting time with cool people.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm really liking this. Unless I've been completely missing something, this would be the first time chat has available on GB 24/7, right?

kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Absolutely love this new feature. I will echo that longer poll times are definitely needed (which appears to be coming) but otherwise, this is just great.

One glaring issue, GBTV needs some home page presence. It should at least have a permanent button or something.

Wowzerzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerikxi said:

Absolutely love this new feature. I will echo that longer poll times are definitely needed (which appears to be coming) but otherwise, this is just great.

One glaring issue, GBTV needs some home page presence. It should at least have a permanent button or something.

Agreed. Plus, i wish we had some sort of time stamp on the videos. Air dates would be nice. It might be a lot of work though...

Avatar image for bankyedwards015
BankyEdwards015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love it so far and can't wait to see any updates that come over time. One idea I have, and not sure how it would be possible, but on certain days or weekends have the random videos be related; like have a Ryan Davis weekend, or E3 Nightly Show weekend.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By rahulricky

I'm loving the GB TV feature way more than I expected. I rarely have chat open when watching videos so didn't know how much richer it makes the experience.

Features I'd like brought to it:

- longer poll timers. glad this seems to be coming

- maybe a list on the site of videos played recently?

- this may already exist, but a Twitter account which just tweets out which video is currently playing.

- I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but it'd be great if there was a way to link to the current video on the site. For two reasons: if I can't keep watching Live but want to see the rest of the video I could save my place on the website before closing. Secondly, if it's the middle of e.g. a Persona run and it gives me the hunger to keep watching I could quickly find the next video in the run.

- every single time I've watched there are super long videos playing. Something to encourage more of a mix, perhaps only quick looks in some polls because otherwise the big live shows always seem to win. (@bybeach has me convinced, ditch the voting and let random rule the day)

- alert flash up on the video to say a poll is running. (also would be great in "normal" GB chat)

(apols if this has all been talked about ad nauseum, I'm excited about the feature and wanted to talk about it)

(*edit* took the time to read what you folks have said)

PS it occurs to me that if the videos were set to random, there could actually be a daily "GBTV Schedule" with actual times for which videos are going to play. Even if they allowed the option to "skip video" if x% of people voted, the schedule could auto-update to reflect the new schedule.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is some moderator really watching the chat 24x7?

adamantypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is exactly the feature I want from Netflix. Just put a random video up that I can put on in the background. Huge bonus, I can chat with duders when something exciting/fun happens.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been a great feature in my limited time with it. Yeah there is a level of longer videos winning polls, but it's also kinda nice to see users then regret their voting 2 hours into something longer.

TomyDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like the selection of games in the polls be a little smarter. Such as not including videos that just played or even offering similar videos or a continuation of a particular video series (Part 1 is picked and then Part 2 is included in the next poll). Though that could go poorly if it's a series that is very long like the Endurance Runs.

TomyDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wowzerzz said:

Air dates would be nice. It might be a lot of work though...

The date is included in the title of the video on the screen.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chat got pretty spicy last night. If there's no moderation or limited moderation, I could see chat getting fairly toxic at times.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chat got pretty spicy last night. If there's no moderation or limited moderation, I could see chat getting fairly toxic at times.

Chat is all premium subscribers, right? When you say spicy, do you mean sexual/vulgar or do you mean people fighting with each other?

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10: I was also in chat for a bit (during Mechwarrior 4 and the Trenched TNT) and the worst it got was some people discussing Nick Robinson, mainly because he was in said TNT.

Nothing awful. Lots of whiskey talk and people saying Trenched is a game about love.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10 said:
@triviaman09 said:

Chat is all premium subscribers, right? When you say spicy, do you mean sexual/vulgar or do you mean people fighting with each other?

A lot of gamergate type stuff, people fighting mostly. Nothing overtly vulgar or directly offensive, just pretty unpleasant tbh

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

It could really use an option to turn off the loud and obnoxious PING! that goes off every time there's a new poll.

curiosus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle I think the polls are tending to the first option shown. Not always but enough to skew the results. Should probably randomise the order the poll options are presented to each user.