• 88 results
mexicanhatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mexicanhatboy

OK, well I appreciate that I'm probably not that well known around here because I tend to lurk rather than actually post. There are probably already other posts relating to this onetoo, but I haven't seen any and a quick search turned up nothing. Mods, please point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

To get to the point, I was watching the video of the Giant Bomb 1 year party and I thought "hey, we should do that in the UK". It would be cool to put faces to names,  plus it's not often that you're presented with an oppurtunity where you're surrounded by complete strangers who you know for a fact have a common interest, so we might all make some friends. I don't think it would be too hard, unless you live in Northern Ireland or the remotest parts of Scotland, most parts of the UK are no more than 6 hours away on a train and the fare can be found cheap if you know what you're looking for. Also, it's the summer holidays right now, so university and college students are all available, and we could do it on a Saturday to help out people with full time jobs.

Like I said, the idea has probably been bandied around before, but I've seen nothing concrete. Well, if we can get a reasonable number of people that would definitely come, I'll organise it. I recently got 4 of us on a 4 night holiday to the Isle of Wight for £60, so you can trust that I can do this stuff :P What I want basically is a show of interest, and possibly some ideas on where people live and where they think would be good. I would vote for Birmingham since it has good rail, air and road links and is relatively central. However, I live just 40 minutes away so it seems incredibly biased to say that, and I'm sure someone can can up with a better idea. It's a shame that Omega Sektor in Birmingham shut down, that place was ideal.

So there it is UK people, tell me what you think. If people want this, we can make it happen. I made a Facebook group called "Giant Bomb UK" too if people want to pop on there and make themselves known. Thanks.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote amsterdam

mexicanhatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mexicanhatboy

Pretty sure that isn't in the UK :P Maybe you need your own European thread?

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jonnyboy

Not a bad idea, though as a small piece of advice, you might want to avoid trying to organise things like this at half past one in the morning.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By giyanks22

I vote Stockholm...I'm not Swedish, but I hear that the female video game devs in Sweden are really lovely.....AND FUCKING HOT!!!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'd be up for it, assuming the timing was right. Birmingham sounds good because it's in the middle of the country. Although London would also be good, because the rail links are so good.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By turbomonkey138

I think we should meet up in yorkshire . Therefore i dont have to travel

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Tylea002

I live in the UK, and I say hella go for it. I'm also 15 (16 in November), yet really want to meet everyone in a meet up, so I'd suggest *NOT* doing it in a bar like the GB party, and anyway, who'd want to clean up after something like that. Location wise, I'd say london, due to it being the capital and all, with it easily accessible via trains from all over the country. Birmingham is in the middle, but public transport wise, its quite hard to get to compared to london.

Thats just my two pennies (see what I did thar, UK?) on the matter, but I'd totally be up for it, providing that I'd be allowed in.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By samcotts

I don't know. If this idea came up 6 months ago, then maybe, but I don't know half the people on these forums any more so I wouldn't benefit from meeting up with any of them. I'd definitely go if the Giant Bomb crew went, but there's no way that will happen.

krazychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By krazychris

Sounds cool though I live near Glasgow so it's probably not going to happen for me but good luck to getting this thing together

Ecinsiefil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Ecinsiefil

That sounds cool. I live south of London so that would be my preferred location.

I'm 15 years old though, so getting permission could be an issue,

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MexicanHatBoy said:
" Pretty sure that isn't in the UK :P Maybe you need your own European thread? "
whoops, looks like I should lay off the stuff I straight up forgot where i was.
cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cdfishman

I would, im in oxford for uni so london again is preferable.

depending on timing of course.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Venatio
@giyanks22 said:
" I vote Stockholm...I'm not Swedish, but I hear that the female video game devs in Sweden are really lovely.....AND FUCKING HOT!!! "
I agree on this, except I do live in Sweden, very near Stockholm
mexicanhatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mexicanhatboy
@Tylea002 said:
" I live in the UK, and I say hella go for it. I'm also 15 (16 in November), yet really want to meet everyone in a meet up, so I'd suggest *NOT* doing it in a bar like the GB party, and anyway, who'd want to clean up after something like that. Location wise, I'd say london, due to it being the capital and all, with it easily accessible via trains from all over the country. Birmingham is in the middle, but public transport wise, its quite hard to get to compared to london.Thats just my two pennies (see what I did thar, UK?) on the matter, but I'd totally be up for it, providing that I'd be allowed in. "

Yeah definitely need to cater to under 18s so don't worry about that. Ideally I'd like to find a LAN centre to go to if people agree. Birmingham used to have an awesome one that opened all day and all night Saturday and had a bar, but under 18s were still allowed in. That kinda thing would be good.

@krazychris said:

" Sounds cool though I live near Glasgow so it's probably not going to happen for me but good luck to getting this thing together "

Thanks! Check out megatrains though, I got from Birmingham New St. to Edinburgh with them for £8 return :)

@jonnyboy said:

" Not a bad idea, though as a small piece of advice, you might want to avoid trying to organise things like this at half past one in the morning. "

haha yeah, my sleeping pattern is a little screwy right now.

Seems like consensus is on London then. Anyone know any cool stuff to do there?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By OmegaPirate

I live in Rutland- about a 20 minute train journey to peterborough which takes me straight to london pretty easily - so i'd be down with that :) as for cool stuff- ummm apart from the big ol' market and the usual markets, just chat shit, see films and get drunk!! i'm pretty sure the creative minds of the giant bomb forums will be able to come up with some kind of awesome plan though 

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain

I like the idea, i'd definately try to attend, but without booze, and copious amounts of it, the prospect isn't as appealing! :D Although seeing as I lack ID despite being 21 (What's up with that? I gotta get my ass in gear and get some) i'd totally be up for going somewhere that doesn't require ID to enter.

I'd also totally be up for some sort of tournament action, I might even be able to find some prizes to contribute. Preferably it would be later in the year though, as until october I literally cannot afford to do anything at all. Maybe a GB UK Xmas EXXXtravaganza? :P But yeah, even if it's only a space copy of HL2 and Ep1 over steam, i'm sure I can find something in the way of prizes to give out.

Edit: As much as I dislike lan parties, I feel some sort of lan friendly location might even be the way to go, drag some Xbox down there and some arcade sticks and get some 2D fighter action going, if the place has PCs get some battlefield action going, get some kind of competition going, get some booze in there, have some fun, hell yeah.

Any further north than London and you'd have to count me out i'm afraid, it costs me like £38 to get to and from london depending on the times, and if it's an overnight dealio even more. I live in southampton y'see so any further is totally pushing it for me.

chogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chogi

you guys should shoot some video... i'm pretty sure the staff and everybody on the site would appreciate it

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By JonathanMoore

If this ends up in England sure.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_A_Drain
@chogi:

Oh definately, I don't own a camera or mic's of any sort but i'm sure somebody does, goes without saying we should film it all. :D
baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By baba2

I'm up for it, I live in Northampton. xD Nothing to be proud of, but it's easy and cheap enough to get to London. So count me in. :)

Here's a suggestion, there's a pretty big arcade in London ( I've had to link to a different site because their official one is being rebuilt.) Maybe we could all meet up there and play games all day, I can bring a camera too to try and get some of the action but I want to be able to get some gaming time in. ;)

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_A_Drain
@baba2:

Machines are gonna be hella expensive though is my guess, and I don't know about those specific ones, but my guess is people will run out of money after a little while, we'd probably be better off finding a venue we can rent out exclusively, it would up the initial cost a little but it gives us somewhere we won't be interupted by other people, and can game as much as we want without worry of cost (Don't know about you, but Street Fighter or HoTD at £1 per play, no thanks)

There's probably some sort of lan place or something that does lock-ins, or can be rented out for a whole day or evening, that would probably be ideal as not only are there bound to be a bunch of PC games, but a lot of those places have some consoles now as well, we can get whatever we want going on there and if it's a large place it might even have some arcade machines as well, also usually those places don't mind you getting some food in (provided you dont eat and game at the same time) during a lock in. That pretty much covers all bases.

It's be cool if we find a place that happens to be near an arcade though we could all meet up, get some game on and then go to the lan place.
baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By baba2
@The_A_Drain:

Yeah I don't know London well and I know the machines will be pretty expensive, I was just hoping to get the ball rolling. :)

There are things like this lan centre. That could work out expensive, I'm not sure though. Just trying to throw many ideas out there and hope someone knows something that can help us out.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By turbomonkey138

Cant we do it somewhere that doesn't take me hours to get to .

baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By baba2
@turbomonkey138 said:
" Cant we do it somewhere that doesn't take me hours to get to . "
If you can find something to do that'll make it worth our while travelling for hours, then maybe.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By turbomonkey138

How about a giant bomb street fighter 4 tournament . Or something along those lines 

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_A_Drain
@turbomonkey138:

If this gets off the ground we can guarantee there will be some kind of fighting game tournament.

How's about a lucky-dup King of Fighting Games Tournament? You get 3 different fighting games, and each round, you literally roll a dice as for which one you play, giving you one of three random games to determine who is the best across the board?

Just throwing out silly ideas. I think it's important we gauge the general interest and setup a location first. As much as i'd like it to be on my front doorstep, it's just not realistic for everyone so I think London is probably the only location that is within the most peoples reach at a reasonable cost.
cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cdfishman

I'm liking the tournament idea, and the lucky dip seems interesting but maybe slightly unfair. for example I have no experience with the king of fighters series.

we could always book out a conference room or buffet. and set some stuff up. Just an idea.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_A_Drain
@cdfishman:

That's the point :D To see who's the best overall at all manner of games.

But it was just a crazy idea, i'm just as in favor of a regular tournament of any game, but something crazy could also be fun. We'll have to see how much support and interest we can drum up across the forums.

The conference room/buffet is a great idea too, the only problem I foresee with that is that people then have to bring along consoles, possibly even TVs and whatnot. I don't know what those things come kitted out with, or anything about prices at all either. If we can get a good lan joint, hopefully they will have some consoles etc for us to use. But the conference room idea gives us mroe flexibility and freedom.

I reckon we should drum up suppor see how many people we are looking at, and then put it to the vote or something.
krazychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By krazychris

If it's anywhere in Scotland I could probably make it but otherwise I severly doubt it, still an idea for games might be Rock Band/Guitar Hero. They're always good for get togthers I think you shouldn't play too my FPS's because people won't be talking as much whereas a fighting game will have lots of onlookers and general buzz, probably the same with rythem games.

cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cdfishman
@The_A_Drain:

agreed, if we are serious about this we need some figures about people interested. then comes the brain storming sesh. and the equipment list. and the bank loan. :)
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_A_Drain

Haha, i'm willing to help out what I can to make this a reality, but I cannot spend one single penny (literally do not even have any money) until my uni loan comes through mid october. I can understand if people want to do this thing sooner though.

I even have a great idea, obviously it's a hgue distance to travel, so the GB crew won't be able to make it, but. I know a place that makes cardboard cutouts ;) I was thinking of getting them to produce a cardboard cutout of the crew. Maybe it can be a tournament prize lol.

cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cdfishman
@The_A_Drain said:
" Haha, i'm willing to help out what I can to make this a reality, but I cannot spend one single penny (literally do not even have any money) until my uni loan comes through mid october. I can understand if people want to do this thing sooner though.I even have a great idea, obviously it's a hgue distance to travel, so the GB crew won't be able to make it, but. I know a place that makes cardboard cutouts ;) I was thinking of getting them to produce a cardboard cutout of the crew. Maybe it can be a tournament prize lol. "
HA!....all I can say is yes.

I'm aiming for a Vinny.
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tylea002
@The_A_Drain: Words cannot describe how epic it'd be to have those as a tourney prize. I too will help with organisation etc. but am 15, and thus am without funding through a job. But yeah, I'll help where I can to make it possible.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Jayge_

I think that GB's UK contingent is generally one of the more sane ones. Good luck. Don't get shot.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Fallen189

21+?

Pageboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pageboy

I live down south (near Bournemouth) but would definetly be up for a UK meet of the Giant Bomb Community.

Not too fussed where because I have family in Manchester and London so I can stay with them and get pretty much anywhere by train fairly quick.
Let me know!!!
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Disgaeamad
@Jayge said:
" I think that GB's UK contingent is generally one of the more sane ones. Good luck. Don't get shot. "
You have no idea...
babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By babblinmule

Im a lurker, but id definitley be up for it too - simply so that i can start putting faces to names when i read posts. I go to university in chichester, so London is better for me, but hey ho, i can do birmingham too.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Oh but where's the fun in revealing what I look like to you all? I mean, since you all care so much.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By flaminghobo
@baba2 said:
" I'm up for it, I live in Northampton. xD Nothing to be proud of, but it's easy and cheap enough to get to London. So count me in. :)

Here's a suggestion, there's a pretty big arcade in London ( I've had to link to a different site because their official one is being rebuilt.) Maybe we could all meet up there and play games all day, I can bring a camera too to try and get some of the action but I want to be able to get some gaming time in. ;) "
I didn't really see anything special in Northampton, but then again I don't see anything special in Birmingham.
The arcade idea does sound great, though I probably won't be able to attend due to me being 14 and I don't really have the time and money to travel down to London right now.
NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NukeSpoon

London.

London is good.

I don't even know why I am posting this, I am not that much into video games and I am not really a regular here at GB.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Lets do it in a pub in Manchester

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Baillie

London is so far south. :(

baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By baba2
@FlamingHobo:

We have a Carlsberg brewery and average Cricket, Football and Rugby teams. I think they're pretty much the highlights. Oh, the new Doctor Who is from here too. That's something...
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Linkyshinks

If it's not in London, I'm not interested. The only reason I go to Birmingham is for a decent Balti. If we were to meet in a Balti house I might be interested.

Neill_freer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By Neill_freer

London would be good, i live in Portsmouth and its easier to get to than birmingham if i remember rightly. but i guess thats down to the overall majority over where we meet

baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By baba2
@Linkyshinks:

Too true. So we've pretty much decided that if Giant Bomb doesn't branch into Giant Balti, Birmingham isn't the host. ;)
LeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LeadNinja
@baba2 said:
" @FlamingHobo:We have a Carlsberg brewery and average Cricket, Football and Rugby teams. I think they're pretty much the highlights. Oh, the new Doctor Who is from here too. That's something... "
I was gonna say that Dr Who is in Cardiff but you must mean the new actor.  Come to Cardiff.  We have John Barrowman.
baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By baba2
@LeadNinja:

Yeah, I meant the new actor. Cardiff would be inconvenient for most UK users really because it's so far out of the way. Maybe a mod could add in a poll to this thread, if they can, so we can vote on a location and have that sorted and move forward. The same information keeps being said over and over now, just phrased differently. xD