• 93 results
Kumatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Kumatose

It's a common criticism that creativity in the game industry (or at least among the major companies) has become stymied because of the obsession with remakes and sequels. I agree with this to some extent, and it irks me when fans demand a sequel to a game that doesn't really need one for no other reason than that they really liked the game.

For me, the game that illustrates this tendency the best is The World Ends With You. I think it's possibly the best game Square Enix has ever made. I like it better than Chrono Trigger and any numbered Final Fantasy game. And yet I cannot join those who clamor for a sequel. I don't think that universe or its characters need to be revisited. The game said what it needed to say in one go, and a sequel would probably diminish the uniqueness and impact of the original. I wouldn't want it to become another franchise that's milked endlessly.

Now, I wouldn't mind if Square Enix took some lessons from what made The World Ends With You such a memorable experience. I wouldn't mind if they made more games with a modern setting, cool soundtrack, hyperstylized graphics, and a story that's offbeat and different without being bogged down by the pomposity and self-importance of the Final Fantasy series. But a direct sequel? Unnecessary and unwanted.

I've come to really appreciate Tim Schafer's "auteur" approach to game design. While all of Schafer's games have a distinctive touch that makes them feel like a Tim Schafer game and gives players some idea of what they can expect, he creates a unique universe with each title. He doesn't bother with Grim Fandango 2 or Psychonauts 2 (two more great games that don't require sequels), even though fans would probably be receptive to them. I wish more game designers and companies would adopt his philosophy.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dead Space

probkie92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Obvious answer but The Last of Us doesn't need one.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Skies of Arcadia. I'm in the minority here, but that's a complete game. Everything's explored, everything's wrapped up, a happy ending, character sketches at the end, just phenomenal.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671
ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duke nukem 3d

Heh

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Last of Us

Nier

Deadly Premonition

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

@spoonman671: While I agree that Vagrant Story doesn't necessarily need a sequel, I wouldn't hate one. Also Last of Us is the obvious answer.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Space

and F.E.A.R. two great first installments of franchises that got callofdutified to oblivion.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binary Domain

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Bastion.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think very few games "need" a sequel and the only ones needing remakes are the ones which were heavily restrained by the technology of the time.

But then there are are sequels which aren't really sequels but are set in the same universe. E.g. Deus Ex did not need a sequel but Human Revolution managed to eke out a space for itself by not going for the true sequel route. Hell, it's even only barely a prequel.

I think what you really mean is that some stories don't call for a sequel and don't really need to be expanded upon any further. The Last of Us is a good example of that. In video games (and even films these days) this is quite rare because a lot of games are made with sequels and franchising options in mind.

That being said some other example of games which I feel didn't need sequels are Portal and Dark Souls.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By nightriff

@tothenines said:

Binary Domain

Disagree, I want to know where the story was going to go, do a fucking sequel Sega!

I nominate Journey. Absolutely beautiful, perfect game that just needs to be put into museums now.

I loved Bioshock Infinite (and 2/Minerva's den), but the original Bioshock didn't need a sequel.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Braid.

No Caption Provided

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Shadow of the Colossus

dubios451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By dubios451

half life 2...shots fired

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgtsphynx: Can I ask how you would like to see things progress from where that story ended? I see room for a spin-off featuring Callo Merlose doing some detective stuff, but could they really make a proper sequel?

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@spoonman671: I guess that is more what I would like, a game set in that world rather than a strict sequel.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671: I guess that is more what I would like, a game set in that world rather than a strict sequel.

Technically, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics, and their spin-offs take place in Ivalice, the same world as Vagrant Story. I don't think that's really what either of us is talking about though.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sgtsphynx  Moderator
@sgtsphynx said:

Technically, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics, and their spin-offs take place in Ivalice, the same world as Vagrant Story. I don't think that's really what either of us is talking about though.

Yeah.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vagrant Story. I would like a remake though.

Also...

@viciousbearmauling said:

Dead Space

But that would mean that Dead Space 2, which is objectively the greatest video game of all time, would never be made!

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgtsphynx: Can I ask how you would like to see things progress from where that story ended? I see room for a spin-off featuring Callo Merlose doing some detective stuff, but could they really make a proper sequel?

Considering the title of the game, i.e. the Story of the Vagrant, never even happened, there's obviously more to Ashley Riot's story after he dons the mantle of the Vagrant. Plus that game is so totally unique that even a bare-bones follow-up in terms of story would still be welcome for its gameplay alone.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Dead Space

Oh, you mean Dead Space 2, right? Because that's the one with the electrified harpoon gun. Sure, it made it more action-y and made the protagonist talk for no good reason, but it's still a great game. Good thing the series stopped after that. Heaven knows how badly those corporate suits at EA would ruin a third installment if it was ever made.

Serious answer: In general, if a game is good I'm generally in favor of it getting expanded and iterated upon. It's only ultra story-focused stuff that I'm more iffy about. There never needs to be a direct sequel to Planescape Torment, for example (which is why they're making a spiritual successor instead). But, since I'm here and we're dumping on sequels that already exist I might as well twist the knife a little by saying that I don't think Telltale's The Walking Dead needed another season after that first one (but weirdly enough I'd totally be down for another season of The Wolf Among Us) and Bioshock 2 was totally superfluous.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised so many people are mentioning The Last of Us. I thought I was the only one who thought Naughty Dog should leave that alone. But yeah, TLoU is done and done.

Can Bioshock Infinite be considered the first game in that series? It's a part of the Bioshock-universe but if you exclude the retconning in the DLC Buried at Sea, Infinite has very little to do with the first games. Anyway, making a sequel or even try to do anything more with Infinite is a fool's errand. That story is done.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...the original Bioshock ...

Beat me to it.

• FEZ
  • Brothers: A tale of two sons
nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

@beachthunder: I loved these joke issues and totally forgot about them until you posted that.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Raspharus

Ride to Hell Retribution

Oh you said great games. Well I dunno.

Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tortoise
  • Dishonored didn't need a sequel, but I'll certainly be happy to play whatever they come up with next year anyway
  • Hotline Miami was a singular game that didn't need a sequel. HM2 is OK but it doesn't have the same magic.
  • The Walking Dead would have been better left as a one-off
  • From a narrative viewpoint, I think the Metal Gear franchise should have stopped after 4
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dead Space

Oh, you mean Dead Space 2, right? Because that's the one with the electrified harpoon gun. Sure, it made it more action-y and made the protagonist talk for no good reason, but it's still a great game. Good thing the series stopped after that. Heaven knows how badly those corporate suits at EA would ruin a third installment if it was ever made.

Love how when ever a bad sequel comes out everyone blames "coporate suits" for the bad game, like it had nothing to do with the Devs having bad ideas that they structured the entire game around. EA might have put micro transactions in the game, but the Devs are the ones who made the game Co-Op focused and mainly about shooting other humans.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mamba219: I loved that game and I think you are completely right. A prequel might make sens since the world was in a completely different state back then but the game doesn't leave much room for a sequel.

I say this for JRPG of that era in general. In those games, you usually end up exploring the whole world. Setting a sequel in the same world wouldn't make much sense. That's probably why they set sequels after some kind of gigantic world changing event or a bajillion years in the future.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ThunderSlash

God Hand. I mean, by the end of the game you get TWO GOD HANDs! I don't know much about human anatomy but I don't that there's room for any more!

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mamba219: I loved that game and I think you are completely right. A prequel might make sens since the world was in a completely different state back then but the game doesn't leave much room for a sequel.

I say this for JRPG of that era in general. In those games, you usually end up exploring the whole world. Setting a sequel in the same world wouldn't make much sense. That's probably why they set sequels after some kind of gigantic world changing event or a bajillion years in the future.

The Suikoden games are the main games that did this right. They confined you to a portion of the overall world, with regular references being made to places outside that sphere, but the plot never takes you there, and events within the area you are confined force you to remain there. So in sequels, they bring you to a new area with completely different places to explore and political situations to overcome.

I think that's why most RPGs go the Final Fantasy route, where they make sequels that are more gameplay focused and less about the actual continuity between games. Video games are the only medium in which this is possible.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny and splatoon. Both are in the same boat of having a good core that's online focused and being supported long term through dlc. An attempt to make a sequel would be nothing more than a marketing ploy, as they could have released it as dlc. It would also end up fracturing the community, which is never a good thing. I know they're going to end up doing this with Destiny, and its a bad move.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctorwhofreak: Splatoon is totally franchise-worthy. They can do a lot with those designs.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though it is a sorta sequel Red Dead Redemption. I don't really know what else they can explore with cowboys after that game.

Makayu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frog fractions

Spelunky

Red Dead Redemption

Deadly Premonition

Bosconian

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd argue that one of the qualities of a great game is that it doesn't need a sequel.

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cutyoface: Whatttt? I think they could make another great story set in that time period. Hopefully not with the same characters or anything but I think they could do it.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Last of us

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of games that get sequels, I feel would be better served with "DLC support". That is - continue to develop content, and sell it. But why restart the whole thing from square one? Splatoon's a good example. So is Destiny (though if their DLC keeps going the way it's going...)

I think theres a lot of complaining about bad sequels in this thread, and not enough actual answers, so i'm going to go with Minecraft.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bastion, The Last of Us, and Red Dead Redemption. Those are amazing games, and do not need a sequel. While all three had great dlc, they didn't feel as though they were just trying to take as much money from consumers as possible.

Terraria and Minecraft are also fantastic games that I don't think need sequels. Minecraft would only need a more stable game engine, a tutorial and a crafting system like the console versions that helps explain the game to new players, and making all the community created stuff like skins and mods easier to implement. A for Terraria, I can't even really think of what they're going to do with that Terraria spinoff other than add new enemies, npc's, and items. Oh yeah also make multiplayer easier to use.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Entreri10

I'll also throw one into the Last of Us bucket. Great great game, but I don't really want a sequel to it at least now with the same characters.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MEATBALL

Dead Space

I disagree because I really liked both sequels (I actually liked 3 more than 2 >_> ). I also think, that no matter what you think of the sequels, Dead Space was a game that was great but you could totally see even more potential in it. It was absolutely a game I wanted to see get a sequel. The direction EA took the series wasn't exactly what I wanted, but honestly, I was glad to get more of that largely great gameplay.

The Last of Us really doesn't need a sequel, it told a great, complete story and felt like a complete game. I don't need another The Last of Us. I'd rather Naughty Dog just made another completely new IP after UC4.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dragon's Dogma, though I wouldn't mind a current generation version including PC.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Prince of Persia

I mean the cel-shaded version that everyone else seems to hate but I love. The ending I thought was a bold move, and one that was seen similarly in The Last of Us, where the protagonist essentially dooms the world to save someone they love. Any sequel that undid that or tried to bring hope to this ending would only ruin it. I think there was some DLC that extended the story but I refuse to play it out of principle.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think the Binding of Isaac. It was lots of fun and I think rebirth is a better package, I just don't really think it needed a sequel.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@corvak said:

A lot of games that get sequels, I feel would be better served with "DLC support". That is - continue to develop content, and sell it. But why restart the whole thing from square one? Splatoon's a good example. So is Destiny (though if their DLC keeps going the way it's going...)

I think theres a lot of complaining about bad sequels in this thread, and not enough actual answers, so i'm going to go with Minecraft.

Bahh! I came in here to add Minecraft to my list. I can't believe that they're developing Minecraft 2. I believe they should just release expansions for different materials/creations. If your friend has the expansion and you don't, then you can still play with the stuff on THEIR servers. Releasing Minecraft 2 just divides the community but I'll be damned if it doesn't net them a ton of money.

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the Last of Us. Loved the ending. I would personally love to see a sequel though.

I'd like to see how an older Ellie would deal with full disclosure on the originals ending. I'd also like to see that world another 20-25 years on....maybe with a now much older (and maybe a bit wiser) Joel.

I've got a lot of faith in the developer to make something really special again.