Guitar Hero controller won't strum upwards

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By TrashMustache

I used the controller for about a week and a half (the one from warriors of rock) and i played ALOT, so much even that my right hand was completely asleep for an hour at the end of the week. Does the guitar controller just give out after much play? how long did it last before you experienced a malfunction with your peripheral?

note : i play actual guitar and so i play guitar hero with a guitar pick, some people i know say that's probably the cause but i don't see how it could affect the strum bar. I don't even get that you could play any song on hard or expert without a guitar pick.

thx 

EDIT : my bad, in the title i meant "won't strum DOWNWARDS ". 
Drumminjay108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Drumminjay108

Funny thing i never understood how anyone can play with a pick on these controllers.  To each their own I guess.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DrPockets000

This may look like a troll post, but I'm completely sincere here.  I think it's because you're using a GH controller.  Ever since Neversoft took over the franchise those things have been massive pieces of shit.  If you can get a RB controller to work, do it.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By FreakAche
@DrPockets000: But hardware is the one thing that Guitar Hero has consistently been getting right. I'd take a Guitar Hero guitar over a Rock Band guitar any day.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DrPockets000
@FreakAche said:
" @DrPockets000: But hardware is the one thing that Guitar Hero has consistently been getting right. I'd take a Guitar Hero guitar over a Rock Band guitar any day. "
I respectfully disagree.  I've had 2 GH controllers crap out on me, and my roomate has had 3 do the same thing, along with a drum set that simply stopped registering half of the hits.  My Rock Band peripherals have not needed replacing yet.
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Castiel
@DrPockets000 said:

" @FreakAche said:

" @DrPockets000: But hardware is the one thing that Guitar Hero has consistently been getting right. I'd take a Guitar Hero guitar over a Rock Band guitar any day. "
I respectfully disagree.  I've had 2 GH controllers crap out on me, and my roomate has had 3 do the same thing, along with a drum set that simply stopped registering half of the hits.  My Rock Band peripherals have not needed replacing yet. "
I've had a completely different experience. I have 2 guitar hero controllers and I have had them for years and used them often, and they still work like new. But the Rock Band controller which I own just stopped working after a week. So In my experience GH controllers definitely are more solid.
TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TrashMustache
@RiotBananas said:
"Why do you use a pick with a Guitar Hero controller? "

because i am a guitarist in real life (force of habit) and because i honestly cannot strum fast notes on hard or expert with my fingers.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By melcene

I'm only about 40% of the way through quest mode, and have played some quickplay here and there.  My husband uses our RB controller while I use the new GH:WoR controller.  I haven't had any malfunctions with it so far.  Will keep ya posted if I do though.  Also:  I do not use a pick at all, so not sure if that will make any difference whatsoever.

pepsimax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By pepsimax

When I play GH/ RB I only strum downwards, so my GH WT controller was broken very soon (also after 1 week or something).  
It became too sensitive and when I strummed down and would let the strum bar go, it would count it as an extra strum upwards :(. 

The blue key of my GH III also doesn't work properly and 1 month ago, my whammy bar broke (just hang there) but I fixed that with a rubber band :P 
I'm such a guitar wrecker \o/

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
@DrPockets000 said:
" This may look like a troll post, but I'm completely sincere here.  I think it's because you're using a GH controller.  Ever since Neversoft took over the franchise those things have been massive pieces of shit.  If you can get a RB controller to work, do it. "
Red Octane has made quality Guitar Hero peripherals since the first GH game. The change over to Activision didn't affect that. That said, I too prefer the RB guitars.

@TrashMustache:  
How in the world do you play with a pick? The guitars strum bars are designed to be held kinda like you're holding a pick anyways, so actually using one on top of that seems absolutely bananas. To each their own though. Oh and as someone who has taken apart many guitar controllers in the past, I say take that sucker apart. I don't know what kind of trigger the strum bar uses in the new GH guitars, but it's worth checking out at least.
TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TrashMustache
@JJWeatherman said:
@TrashMustache:  How in the world do you play with a pick? The guitars strum bars are designed to be held kinda like you're holding a pick anyways, so actually using one on top of that seems absolutely bananas. To each their own though. Oh and as someone who has taken apart many guitar controllers in the past, I say take that sucker apart. I don't know what kind of trigger the strum bar uses in the new GH guitars, but it's worth checking out at least. "

I realize they are designed to feel like you're holding a pick as you say but what bothers me is that when you play on a real guitar your strum hand can really move up and down so that you're hand is "floating in the air", erm know what i mean?  which is the same when i play GH with a pick, but without it i feel like i don't have enough room to move my hand since you have to hold the strum bar. I can't play without the pick, i just can't :p, and yes i will take your advice and take it apart thank you,  I've nothing to lose really.  

you know what is really bananas though? Rock Band 3's pro mode is playable with a real guitar right? well i'm not interested and that's something i don't understand about myself :p.  perhaps because i don't know whether it will be gimmicky (meaning below my level of skill on a real guitar) or too complex (suppose you have to play a solo on expert on a real guitar, i'm not that good you know) it's kind of unclear to me.
JusticeCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JusticeCat

Playing GH with a pick is the craziest fucking thing I have ever heard.