Half Life or Half Life: Source?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TomboDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TomboDemon

Another vintage game question, 
I'm about to hit me up some original Half Life on steam, 
should I get the Original Version or the new "Steam" version? 
Tom

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

What's the difference? They pretty much look the same.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By The_Nubster

And on a side note, kind of related to OP's question: I've already bought Half-Life, is it worth picking up HL: Source too, or have I experienced it enough already?

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By beargirl1
@Video_Game_King said:
What's the difference? They pretty much look the same.
physics and stuff dawg 
Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It depends. If you want to play it like it was back in the day (as close as possible at least) aka, you're trying to relive 1998, get HL1. If you don't care and just want HL1 to look as best as possible, get HL Source. Source looks a little odd because it's in a modern game engine yet has some low poly models and low resolution models and better lighting/water. If you do download HL1, you want to get the high resolution model pack that came with Blue Shift. I don't remember if you need to buy Blue Shift to enable that.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By august

In Source a couple scripted sequences where soldiers talk to each other don't happen and a song gets cut off. But you get better lighting and physics.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By RobertOrri

I recommend the original game. Half-Life: Source is kind of a hack-job where they just ported the maps into the new engine. As a result, players get the ragdolls, improved physics, better lighting effects and water but very little was changed to take advantage of these features.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Evilsbane

The boxes move better, and RAGDOLLS BITCH RAAG DOLLS, so yea source.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bybeach

Half life Source is much better. It makes regular Half life almost unplayable. But it still is what it is, and sand bags stacked on each other still comes off like a flat wall. I re-played the game about a year and a half ago.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cid798

And it's also kinda Half-life vs Half-life that got patched with better models, then source. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RobertOrri said:

I recommend the original game. Half-Life: Source is kind of a hack-job where they just ported the maps into the new engine. As a result, players get the ragdolls, improved physics, better lighting effects and water but very little was changed to take advantage of these features.

...But at least you GET the features. If he's buying only one of them, he might as well buy Source since it has that stuff.  

If you're playing it for the first time, might as well play it with better water.
Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rockanomics

Comeon the answer is obviously Black Mesa: Source guys, ya just... gotta wait... keep on watin'.

Tooooootally coming out anytime ever... gonn happen, serious.

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kovie

I always felt like the Source version was always kind of mechanically broken. The physics are sometimes awkward, especially when you are trying to move boxes, and a lot of the time I felt that the game was balanced very differently. It might have been some kind of difficulty bug for me or something, but I trucked through the majority of Source with low health (And died constantly).

Also, that song that gets cut off by a loading screen makes the ensuing firefight at least 50% less cool.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By RagingLion
@Rockanomics said:

Comeon the answer is obviously Black Mesa: Source guys, ya just... gotta wait... keep on watin'.

Tooooootally coming out anytime ever... gonn happen, serious.

You jest, but on hearing about Black Mesa about 2 years ago and reading an interview with one of those guys I made the decision then to hold off on buying and playing Half-Life and waiting till BM came out.

It passed through my mind just recently whether I should reevaluate that decision and also in that case if I should get the original or Source version of Half-Life - so I'm glad to see this thread.  I'm not 100% sure but I think I may have changed my opinion about the way I would want to experience HL.  I'm now thinking that probably one of the big reasons for me to play it is to understand why other people loved it so much and to share that experience with them and that would kind of lean me towards getting the original so that I get this same experience.  Ultimately I can't really see myself getting it any time soon because of my backlog of games but I feel I should play it some time since it's such a classic and constantly gets referenced.
Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rockanomics

@RagingLion: I was kidding, but at the same time I am waiting for it to come out so I can do the Half Life marathon I planned on doing in preparation for Ep 3. I remember saying to myself "I hope BM:S comes out before episode 3 so I can go through them all in sequence." That was probably 3 years ago and neither of them are in sight yet.

But while I thought I'd share that little tidbit it's not why I replied. My main point is responding to the idea of playing a classic for the first time, and I don't think it's a good one.

It's a noble goal, sure, but I feel an impossible one. I'd like to be wrong but the way I see it the reason people like myself have those warm nostalgic feelings about a "Half Life" or whatever game of choice is because they did magical things that no one had seen before. The fact that you started up the game and your objective was to go to work, or you didn't encounter combat until the first chapter was over was mind-blowing.

I want to say Ryan Davis was saying that F.3.A.R. surprised him because the game started by instantly throwing you into the action. That was like every single FPS before Half Life! A slow build up to the action is standard practice these days, and that's my point. 75% of what made something like Half Life special to me and others is all taken for granted nowadays, which is a good thing, it means the medium is growing that fast.

Man, I feel all gross with fanboy sweat. Anyway I do feel bad pissing on people's parades but I guess the point is temper your expectations.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder

Personally, I say just play the original and party like it's (not quite) 1999. The differences are relatively negligible and the stuff that's noticeable just feels a little out of place.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Wait for Black Mesa.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By StingingVelvet

Source. Nice new graphics options you don't have to hack/force, nice water and some new effects, smoother gameplay.

TomboDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TomboDemon

I'm gonna be cheap and choose the Original because the Half Life Anthology comes with that and the two expansions for $5 cheaper (and TF1 is in there too I guess) 
There wasn't an overwhelmingly positive vibe towards source