Have you ever been offended by a video game?

• 121 results
Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By Deusoma

I don't think I've been offended in the manner everyone else is talking about, but I was offended in a different way by Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, given that the games in the series before it are among my favourite RPGs, and that Dragon Quarter turned out to be the single worst video game I've ever played.

skavanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By skavanker

America's Army    is the only one that comes to mind. Like that game have anything to do with serving in the irl army.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By xyzygy
@JazGalaxy: Totally agree on everything, especially the L4D2 stuff. The Coach looks like such a kickass character. 

Also, Sazh looks like he's going to have some pretty serious moments. Have you seen the newest trailer? I don't want to say anything, but then again, it is a free trailer for anyone to watch... (IMO that trailer was full of possible spoilers, but who knows maybe the story is intricate as fuck and the points they brought up in the trailer are minor compared to the whole game)
Pragmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Pragmatic

It would be interesting to hear a female's response to this topic, given how sexist the majority of games are.  

I can't recall a time I've been personally offended, though. I don't mind violence and gore, and other peoples opinions usually don't offend me, even if I adamantly disagree with them.  As a Caucasian male in the majority, though, it's less common for something to be offensive.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By ryanwho
@CitizenKane said:
" No, I have never been offended by a video game.  In fact, I can't think of anything that has offended me.  Maybe I just have thick skin, I don't know. "
Thick skin, low standards. Tomato, tomato.  

Tomato, tomato doesn't really work online. :-\
Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Teoball

Nope. I laughed all the way through Saints Row 2. 

And If that scene in MW2 makes me really hate the terrorists, it has served its purpose to the story. There is no way it can offend me.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By ryanwho

So I guess none of you ever bitched about a Wii game, right? Since you're never offended?

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By KillaMaStA

no, Ive never been offended by media of any sort.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#109  Edited By citizenkane
@ryanwho said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" No, I have never been offended by a video game.  In fact, I can't think of anything that has offended me.  Maybe I just have thick skin, I don't know. "
Thick skin, low standards. Tomato, tomato.   Tomato, tomato doesn't really work online. :-\ "
Yeah, it just looks like you love tomatoes.  :P
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110  Edited By Kohe321

Nope, never. I hardly get offended by anything...

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#111  Edited By evanbrau

I can't remember ever being offended by something in any entertainment product.  I'm not all that easy to offend in real life but it has happened. I doubt anything could do it in a videogame or film unless a character literally started calling me out by name and berating me but now I can't decided whether or not that would be awesome.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Kinarion

Not that I recall.   With regard to stereotypical depictions in Japanese games, I regard those as equivalent to the depictions of sex and race in media from 50+ years ago: too foreign to be truly provocative.  

That being said, I do remember finding V for Vendetta offensive.  The whole statement of that movie, that blowing up a building is a method for sending a revolutionary message, seemed dangerously naive.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#113  Edited By Pie

I have but for the life of me I cant remember what it was...

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By eroticfishcake

The only times where I've been offended by a game is when I find the game to be awful to play. But as for the content to the game, never. It's hard to offend me in real life anyway.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By nrain

Never ever, and I doubt I ever will be. It's a video game for christ sake...it's not real.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#116  Edited By sjschmidt93

I'm not a sensitive guy. 

No.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#117  Edited By SubwayD
@WinterSnowblind said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" Postal - Everything GTAIV - Kidnapping the mobsters daughter and slapping her around. "

Try playing Gay Tony.  You'll probably have less sympathy for her.

@Undeadpool

said:

" @animateria said:

" I wasn't offended but quite a bit disturbed at a certain part in Saints Row 2.

"
I guess this came the closest. I wasn't offended, just sorta taken aback cause it sorta took me out of the freewheeling wackiness that had pervaded the game up until then. Likewise the cemetery mission. "
Yeah, I have to say the mission where..
Again, I wouldn't say I was offended but holy crap.. that's going too far. "
It looks like you've partially mixed up that scene with a section of GTA: San Andreas that was equally, if not more, bothersome. 
I can't remember the exact set up, but C.J. is meant to clear out a bunch of construction workers from some land. The climax of the mission being that he traps the foreman in a port-a-john, using a bulldozer to knock it over and roll the toilet into a pit which he then fills with concrete.  
Being buried alive is bad enough, but to be cemented into a coffin full of faecal matter is just a tad too far. Perhaps if the guy had been some gangster who had it coming, the scene might not have been so horrific. But no, he was just some guy who was randomly sentenced to a horrific death for some seemingly trivial reason. 
The real rub being that C.J. is supposed to be a sympathetic character.
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#118  Edited By Brunchies

I was never really offended by any game I played but some games disturb me and I wonder why they were ever made in the first place (postal and custards revenge).

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By animateria
@Pinkshley1: 

Hell, I wanted to destroy that gang after that happened.

Saint's Row 2 is all about goofy and over the top violence. And they made it seem like it was hilarious and awesome

As I've said before I wasn't offended, I just felt like their light-hearted mood towards the whole situation felt wrong and messed up.

I'd still recommend the game to anyone that wants to play an open-world crime game.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#120  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Hope you guys don't mind if I talk about some of your comments on the upcoming episode of my podcast, No Quarter. The episode will be entitled "No Offense". You'll be given full credit, of course.

EDIT:  No Quarter #4 is up, with some of your comments read out. Thanks for your really interesting responses to the question. Got me thinking about a couple of things, that's for sure.

09spademan09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#121  Edited By 09spademan09

Yeah, resident evil - umbrella chronicles offends me by its pathetic story line and game play. :)