Have you ever gotten a game before release?

• 72 results
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#51  Edited By sammo21

The first Mass Effect on 360. I found out a local K-Mart at the time had copies so I went and asked if I could buy it and the associate sold it to me.

Bioshock for 360. I worked at Gamestop at the time and my store manager let me take my copy own early.

Uncharted 1. We got word that the game would be releasing like 4-5 days early but we had our copies in already. Fun fact, when Patrick Klepeck was at 1Up I sent him this tip (about Uncharted's early release) and he published it giving me credit. Nobody giving a shit in 3, 2, 1... :p

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By phish09

Yes. My parents used to run a video and game rental business back in the '90's and I used to have access to a bunch of NES and SNES games before their official release dates. The best was when we got a Japanese version of SMB3 and Super Contra before they were released in North America. I was definitely the most popular kid on the block that summer.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Cloudenvy

I usually get games a day before release, but that's mostly due to the way the store is shipping out stuff.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By MideonNViscera

Pretty sure I pirated Doom 3 before it was released, but I'm not sure.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By crusader8463

Think there was a couple times that a game I had bought leaked early online so I downloaded it and started playing it a few days early.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#56  Edited By willin

Dead Island, WoW Cata, Skyrim, and Mortal Kombat (Still isn't released in this country)

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By FritzDude

All the time. And It's quite possible that I will get Kingdoms days before release too. That's what happens when shipping doesn't take too long, which is great for me.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#58  Edited By zidd

Back in the PS2 days my local gamestop used to fulfill preorders on mondays.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Loads, when I was writing about vidya games. Apart from that I've gotten lucky with delivered physical games when that was still a thing since I was living in the middle of nowhere. Always awesome. Nowadays, with digital distribution, it's more common for me to get to wait an extra two days since it takes two days to ship stuff over the Internet ocean from the US to the EU. Those boats are pretty slow.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've had quite a few games arrive the day before release but never any earlier than that

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By napalm

I got Condemned 2: Bloodshot a day early. They were all stocked at Best Buy. It was a good day. 

Beyond that, I haven't gotten any videogames at any ridiculously early times, though, the Saturday before Saints Row: The Third came out, I spotted a Target stocking cart that had a couple copies on the side. I did the stupid thing and asked instead of just grabbing it and heading to the register. That was a very bad day.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By PokeIkzai

The original Mass Effect few days before release. That was so cool.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Stete

Ive managed to get the ps2 Dragon Quest game, Okami and Katamari Forever a week early. I got those from ebay and all of them were preorders so I don't know what kind of wizardry happened and got those early. Ive also got Skyrim a day early but that didnt do me any good since it wouldn't install.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By BrockNRolla

@JoeyRavn said:

Breaking the street date = piracy. There, I said it.

No, in all seriousness, I don't think I've ever have. Besides, I mostly get my games on either Steam or Amazon these days, so no chance for me to get them earlier than release date.

@iam3green said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Mom & Pop stores are your key to getting games early.

where do i find mom & pop stores? i don't think there is one around me.

Not sure if serious, but if you are, "mom and pop" is how many people call smaller brick and mortar stores. You know, small, probably family-run retail businesses.

Is this a troll? Probably a troll.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By zeforgotten

Of course

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By Fearbeard

Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. It was a game I played a lot of the in the arcade and I was extremely excited for the home version. It was supposed to come out the following week, but I remember my Uncle stopping by and said something about how it was on the shelves at K-mart or Target (I can't remember which.) Anyways, me and my brother pleaded with my Mom to take us to the store, and shortly thereafter I was playing my very own copy of Street Fighter 2. It was a magical childhood moment.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yeah few times the stores broke streetdates.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By Cwaff

Usually when I order something from the GAME website I get it a day before release. Always sucks when its a PC game that requires Steam.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By jasta

I pre-ordered Lost Odyssey and ended up getting it a couple days before its release date. 

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By supermonkey122

Yes, MW2 3 days early

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Marcsman

Not since the cartidge days. I know no higher ups.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By buft

@wmaustin55: idid once get a copy of star wars battlefront2 on the ps2 a week before launch because i asked nicely for it in a store, the guy opened the glass and handed it over, i wasnt reviewing it or anything but to this day its probably one of my happiest memories of video game stores.

stankit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#73  Edited By stankit

I got Bioshock a week early because Toys R Us made a mistake and started selling them.