Gustav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Gustav

Hello everyone!

I haven't been very active in the GB community (I'm usually a lurker when it comes to communities), but I have been enjoying the content of the site very much, it is easily the best site covering video games out there. I signed up for the site the day it launched and have listened to/watched pretty much every Bombcast and Quick Look to date (I came from On the spot and the early Arrow pointing down podcasts introduced me to the format, I still haven't found anything as good as the Bombcast though :) 

My name is Gustav and I'm a hobbyist/indie game developer. I usually work on projects in my free time while studying but since the last year has been my gap year, I've been able to work a lot more than usual. I have decided to start writing about what I am working on from time to time in my profile, to hopefully get some feedback and reach a somewhat wider audience than my friends and the other game developers I usually talk to.

Right now I am about to release my first major game ever, a multiplayer kart racer called "Seaside Racing". I started working on it in the beginning of 2009 using a physics engine I had started working on a couple of months earlier. It was meant to be a small game to test out the physics engine.. it turned out to be a huge project that took me almost 2 years to finish :)  Here is a screenshot of the finished game. I'm very happy with how it turned out and I've learnt a lot from the project, the most important thing being that you should always plan creative projects ahead, at least have some idea of what you are aiming for and what the most ambitious scenario for the project would look like (I did close to no planning before I started working on the game).

Anyway, I have submitted the game to peer review for the Xbox Live Indie Games channel, so please keep an eye on the channel and please post your opinions and feedback on the game if you play it!

Gustav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Gustav

Hello everyone!

I haven't been very active in the GB community (I'm usually a lurker when it comes to communities), but I have been enjoying the content of the site very much, it is easily the best site covering video games out there. I signed up for the site the day it launched and have listened to/watched pretty much every Bombcast and Quick Look to date (I came from On the spot and the early Arrow pointing down podcasts introduced me to the format, I still haven't found anything as good as the Bombcast though :) 

My name is Gustav and I'm a hobbyist/indie game developer. I usually work on projects in my free time while studying but since the last year has been my gap year, I've been able to work a lot more than usual. I have decided to start writing about what I am working on from time to time in my profile, to hopefully get some feedback and reach a somewhat wider audience than my friends and the other game developers I usually talk to.

Right now I am about to release my first major game ever, a multiplayer kart racer called "Seaside Racing". I started working on it in the beginning of 2009 using a physics engine I had started working on a couple of months earlier. It was meant to be a small game to test out the physics engine.. it turned out to be a huge project that took me almost 2 years to finish :)  Here is a screenshot of the finished game. I'm very happy with how it turned out and I've learnt a lot from the project, the most important thing being that you should always plan creative projects ahead, at least have some idea of what you are aiming for and what the most ambitious scenario for the project would look like (I did close to no planning before I started working on the game).

Anyway, I have submitted the game to peer review for the Xbox Live Indie Games channel, so please keep an eye on the channel and please post your opinions and feedback on the game if you play it!

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By one_2nd
@Gustav: Great, welcome. First thing you should do is find a new icon. That's the main way people identify you, so I suggest you pick one and stick to it. 
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By gingertastic_10
@one_2nd said:
" @Gustav: Great, welcome. First thing you should do is find a new icon. That's the main way people identify you, so I suggest you pick one and stick to it.  "
Sticking to one is easier said then done. But still enjoy the site duder!! Good luck with the XBLA game!!
Gustav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gustav

Wow, replies already! Thanks!

I'll definitely get a profile picture, just have to find one..

I'm off to bed now though, way too late :)

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Origina1Penguin

The great thing about lurkers is when they do post, it is usually of high quality. Good luck with your game. Don't be too shy of the forums.

CanuckEh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 239

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CanuckEh

You've got a game in development that could be released on Xbox Live. More power to you, brother.

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BreakfastKing

Very nice, I've been plowing through some XNA learning myself. Nice to see someone close to the end of the path I just started!

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Aetos

Good luck with your game dude!

crazymofo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crazymofo101

what the hell is XNA?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust

Great project! I'm starting one myself. Just doing the artwork now. Thanks for the tips! 

I'm following you. The best luck to your game!

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By sodiumCyclops
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@crazymofo101 said:

" what the hell is XNA? "

It's basically a program from Microsoft which lets indie game developers create games easier and more conveniently. I have used it and it's actually a really good tool, even if you're new to programming.

EDIT: And welcome TC hope you will enjoy your stay at GB and your game looks like fun. :)
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Hiya ;)