Help me loose my FPS "twitch" style

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MrMuscle

Ive been playing games since the c64 and enjoy most everything. Im a decent gamer and can finish most games. But my fine motoric skills seems to be lacking a bit. When i play fps games on my 360 i have a real hard time fine tuning my targetting. Everytime i try i twitch (in lack of a better word) and screw my aimin totally off. For instance in MW2 i have around 3000 kills but only 180 headshots. I more than often empty a whole clip in a guy before killing him, meaning i miss alot hehe. 

Does anyone have an idea on how to train myself up to just be able to do those fine tuning aims without going all spastic on my controller?`Maybe adjust the sensitivity in any way? I mean im having fun playing no matter what. But it would be fun to actually hit what im aiming for once in a while. I play alot so one should think it would get better. But im stil a spas :D
mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mementomori

Get off the consoles if you want precise aiming

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dystonym

I play PC, but I'm the same. I always forget to aim at their head and just end up unloading a full clip into people. This is fine usually, but it makes games like CS:S unplayable.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By commandercup

If you want to train acutally aiming instead of spraying, go for guns with low rates of fire. Try using a pistol (you'll take a hit on your KDR) and actually aiming. Burst weapons or semi-automatic weapons are the best since you can't really spray them. 

Oh and in MW2 custom games, you can make it headshots only so that'll obviously be the best way to practice aiming for the head since nothing else will do damage.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dantheman1515
@MementoMori: Or get good at playing on consoles. I agree that PC games are more precise, consoles need aim-assist. But its all about what you play more. I enjoy playing with a controller more than mouse and keyboard, but I have played enough TF2 that I can carry my weight.  

I have this argument with my friend all the times who rips on me for being a console gamer. He is terrible with a controller because he never uses them, but for me my first system was an N64 so I grew up learning to play games with two joysticks and therefore I'm more accurate with a controller than I am with a mouse and keyboard in FPS.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

What about those KontrolFreek things you snap onto the controller. I've heard people say that they actually do increase your precision. I dunno. Just a thought.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By meteora

You'll probably need to play on the PC to get precise aiming. In MW2 you simply need to aim at the upper body mass and hope that the recoil will rack you up a headshot. It worked more effectively in COD4 where guns had more recoil; but it all works the same.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ryax
@Fragstoff said:
" @MementoMori said:
" Get off the consoles if you want precise aiming "
"

@dantheman1515:  you can carry your own in tf2 or most shooters?
mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mano521
@MrMuscle:  i found that bad company 2 helped with aiming a lot.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@MrMuscle: Right, everyone else has given you decent advice, so I'm going to play the dick. 

I don't know if you're American, but I'll assume for arguments sake that you are... 

Loose has a VERY different meaning to lose. Appreciate this, please

While I'm at it, "then" & "than" aren't the bloody same either (this one isn't directed at you). 

Except and accept are very different, too. As are affect and effect.
Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Green_Incarnate

The only game I twitch with on consoles is Rainbow Six: Vegas. It would probably work in COD too, but I barely play that game. I mostly play Halo 3, and twitching in that game is bad. You need to lead your shots in a smooth steady pace.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@GetEveryone said:
" @MrMuscle: Right, everyone else has given you decent advice, so I'm going to play the dick. 

I don't know if you're American, but I'll assume for arguments sake that you are... 

Loose has a VERY different meaning to lose. Appreciate this, please.  While I'm at it, "then" & "than" aren't the bloody same either.  "
Yes, I've corrected people on their grammar before. It doesn't work. They call you a dick and tell you that 'this is the internet', as if that's some sort of decent excuse for sounding uneducated. So I just tend to let it go.
klinkcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By klinkcow
@GetEveryone said:
" @MrMuscle: Right, everyone else has given you decent advice, so I'm going to play the dick. 

Loose has a VERY different meaning to lose. Appreciate this, please.  While I'm at it, "then" & "than" aren't the bloody same either (this one isn't directed at you).  Except and accept are very different, too. As are affect and effect. "

Haha, you had to correct your own grammer!

Just so everyone knows, his original post said this in the last line:  " As are affect and affect."

irony
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klinkcow: Touche, buddy. 

I'd also like to point out that spelling and grammar are necessarily the same thing ;) 

You spelled grammar wrong (I am just trolling, I'm not actually a massive cunt).
MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrMuscle
@GetEveryone said:
"@MrMuscle: Right, everyone else has given you decent advice, so I'm going to play the dick. 

Loose has a VERY different meaning to lose. Appreciate this, please.  While I'm at it, "then" & "than" aren't the bloody same either (this one isn't directed at you).  Except and accept are very different, too. As are affect and effect. "

Dont assume, its makes an ass out of u and me. Im Norweigan. Thanks for the english lesson. 

@mano521 said:
" @MrMuscle:  i found that bad company 2 helped with aiming a lot. "

Havent tried any of the bad company games, maybe i should give it a try. Appriciate the help. 

@PrivateIronTFU said:
"What about those KontrolFreek things you snap onto the controller. I've heard people say that they actually do increase your precision. I dunno. Just a thought. "  

Hm, ive seen those. Maybe thats and idea. Thank pal. 

@commandercup said:
"If you want to train acutally aiming instead of spraying, go for guns with low rates of fire. Try using a pistol (you'll take a hit on your KDR) and actually aiming. Burst weapons or semi-automatic weapons are the best since you can't really spray them.   Oh and in MW2 custom games, you can make it headshots only so that'll obviously be the best way to practice aiming for the head since nothing else will do damage. "

That was a great idea. Ive played a couple of rounds in MW2 with the FAL now and it made a world of difference. Thanks a lot. 

@MementoMori said:
"Get off the consoles if you want precise aiming "

Well i was hoping to avoid that. 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

Attitude and confidence do the trick... expect to get angry if things don't work out as they should (because obviously you are too good to fail). 

Key is finest anlogstick input (PS3 has superior analogsticks in terms of having a smaller deadzone, which allows for quicker more fluid finest input registration). Be confident to move your crosshairs slowly, then you can crank up sensitivity to max. Just twitch with crosshairs and go into ironsights as soon as you've acquired your target with your crosshair, then go for the killshot. Of course shoot from the hip in CQC.

And always remember. You were born the superior gamepad warrior. Nobody can beat you, except when he's a giant douchenosil who's either a cheater or got lucky - luck he doesn't deserve either. Proceed to curse loudly and take that anger to kill the enemies even harder. Then again, be angry and cool at the same time and feel entitled to good fortune and luck and being better than anyone and just yank that crosshair around and shoot people in the head, like you was a real dick.

Aggression. Attitude. Entitlement. Anger. Cold Focused Planned Excessive Brutality. Always think for a second and have a plan - where am I entitled to rule and how? Go there and rule over your lesser peers. Then again, that might lead you to spawncamping and being a real douchenosil of epic proportions. Don't do that - of course.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainCody

PC gamers seem to be incredibly bad at shooters when someone takes the auto-aiming device that is a mouse out of their hands, I have absolutely no problem aiming with a controller.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Seppli
@CaptainCody: 

True that. I remember back with MoH Frontline, which was more or less my first console shooter, I fucking hated it. But I kept playing FPS games on consoles from time to time, 'til one day, I fell in love with the first Battlefield : Bad Company. I have 22 days of playtime on that game, that translates in roughly 500 hours of playtime. Since then, I cannot play FPS games on KB&M, it just feels wrong and low fidelity - lacking natural analog movement and rumble feedback and sexy triggers and great controls in vehicles too.

I am gamepad man now when it comes to FPS games. I can't be bothered with KB&M anymore, except for MMORPGs and RTS games and so forth... I'm working with 30+ hotkeys in WoW, that's what KB&M does well. Hotkeys gallore.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seppli
@CaptainCody:

In the end it comes down to love. Such PC gamers have to fall hard for a console FPS. With the dedication and passion of a true lover, anybody can overcome prejudice and learn 2 play with a gamepad.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck

Watched my friend play C.S the other day. It's fucking insane how precise he his.

CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainTryHard

Just keep playing man. I trained myself to top the scoreboard almost every game without headshots. The only time I get headshots are usually on accident.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I don't go for headshots.  I aim at vitals, and the recoil will generally guide it up to a headshot.  I also generally use 3 round burst.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Djeffers03

It's not possible to miss in MW2. That game is easy mode.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By august
@CaptainCody said:
" PC gamers seem to be incredibly bad at shooters when someone takes the auto-aiming device that is a mouse out of their hands, I have absolutely no problem aiming with a controller. "
Is this a joke? I can't even tell.

Console games utilize auto-aim. Not pc games. Because the aiming and movement resolution of a mouse is better. A mouse translates your movements more fluidly into the game world. It doesn't do anything for you. Console shooters are, in fact, situations where the aiming is done for you.
rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rawrz

Play with the sensitivity and find out what works best for you. Having it lower means your issue wont throw your aim off as drastically.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond

It's something that comes with an incredible amount of practice.  You can actually do it on consoles too but it's less dramatic.

Eventually your mind gets into a 'zone' and you aim very quickly and you don't have to think about it.  I was able to do it when I was in a Quake 3 clan and had been playing regularly for months.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seppli
@august said:

" @CaptainCody said:

" PC gamers seem to be incredibly bad at shooters when someone takes the auto-aiming device that is a mouse out of their hands, I have absolutely no problem aiming with a controller. "

Is this a joke? I can't even tell.

Console games utilize auto-aim. Not pc games. Because the aiming and movement resolution of a mouse is better. A mouse translates your movements more fluidly into the game world. It doesn't do anything for you. Console shooters are, in fact, situations where the aiming is done for you. "
He's saying aiming is much easier with a mouse. It takes much more skill to be precise and quick with an analogstick. Very few get as precise and quick as good KB&M players. Perfect KB&M players are out of reach for even the best gamepad player. Aiming with a mouse is more or less 'point n' click'. Turning is done with a flick of the wrist.

Aiming and turning quickly and precisely with analogsticks takes a lot more confidence and timing and finemotor skills. Good gamepad players do everything a good MB&K player does, only a split-second slower. From no-scoping to drag-scoping to quick-scoping to all kinds of longrange skill-shots - even jumpshots. While most console FPS games allow some aim assist, good gamepad players don't rely on it and turn it off. It screws you over just as much as it helps.

KB&M is inferior when it comes to movement. You lack analog movement on a KB&M setup. While a Unreal Tournament/Counterstrike/Quake player might not appreciate the possibility to creep fluidly through the underbrushes of a dense jungle (thanks to the analog movement enabled by analogsticks), as a Battlefield player, I certainly do. On top of that - any singleplayer experience that can be played with a gamepad, should be played with a gamepad. The splitsecond aiming/turning advantage isn't a necessity to beat the AI and you'll miss out on natural movement and rumble feedback and pulling triggers.

Anyways - KB&M certainly isn't the superior interface device in terms of game experience. It's the lesser device. Good gamepad player suffer from such a minor speed penality when aiming and turning, it still feels a lot better than KB&M overall. Since there are barely any KB&M players on XBL and PSN it doesn't matter in the first place. Ontop of that, there are less cheaters/hacks on the consoles too. There's absolutely no reason anymore to stick to the archaic KB&M setup for FPS games, if one is accustomed to the gamepad  as standard interface device.

Overall - the gamepad provides the higher fidelity gaming experience. Even on PC, I play with a gamepad, when it's natively supported (which all multiplatform games should be).
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seppli

@august: 

Watch this video and tell me you'll pull off more cool shit than this with a KB&M setup...

Thought so.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond

@Seppli: That's cool stuff but modern FPS don't allow much room for twitch shooting.

This is the sort of stuff that you could only do on a mouse :

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Seppli
@Diamond: 

Of course I'm aware that games such as UT and Quake aren't really suited for gamepads. You're absolutely right. Then again, that brand of FPS games is more or less dead for some reason.

I believe, once the industry gets motion controls right and doesn't put gigantic deadzones on motion control enabled games anymore, gamepads (rather the motion control enabled iteration of a gamepad) will definitly catch up with the mouse when it comes to aiming and turning, which in return could bring forth the renaissance of full-on twitch shooters.

Though it might take a hardware generation or two for the tech and especially the consumers to get there.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By fuzzyponken
@Diamond: Oh man I love that video. I started playing promode exclusively after seeing that. I miss Quake 3. :(
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seppli

As I said before, with enough confidence and attitude, gamepad players can get almost as quick and precise as great KB&M players. Sadly - many don't have the confidence in the tech, nor the attitude to get there. The attitude is: 'gamepads suck at FPS games', which is not true.

Motion Controls suffer even more from bad attitude by the players and a lack of confidence of publishers and developers, albeit admittedly, the tech really doesn't seem to be there yet. Developers and consumers alike aren't into pushing motion controls into the hardcore territory. Imagine a motion control FPS with practically no deadzone. It'd be all shaky and nervous, but with the right attitude and a lot of confidence, one might overcome that issue. If only a developer had the balls to minimize the deadzone on a motion controlled FPS to the smallest imaginably controllable - the hardcore audience would figure it out eventually.

leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By leburgan
@Seppli:  The reason they don't do the cross platform 360 vs pc anymore is even decent pc players destroyed the best of the 360 players. And as a man who has played a lot of pc games and plenty of games with a gamepad, the KB&M will always win. I find I actually have more control over movement with the KB&M than with the gamepad. For example, I could pull off jumps and stuff in CSS that I couldn't do In L4D for xbox. After my pc upgrade and i got L4D2 for pc i did phenomenally better on the pc, no contest. While people can get good with a gamepad, you cannot pull off many of the moves that you can with a KB&M. This is evident in many multiplat games, and when it comes to FPS, while the gamepad may suck,It will always be worse than the KB&M. Play Counter Strike for the first xbox and you will see how different it plays because you simply cannot pull off the same moves.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seppli
@tankintheair315: 

I'm not making a statement about who would win in a competition. Obviously the split/second aiming/turning advantage of KB&M players and the extreme technical advantages in terms of framerate and macros and generally much beefier personalization of controls will statistically make PC players win against console players.

I'm making a qualitative statement about the game experience itself. Gamepads offer higher overall control fidelity and feedback than a KB&M setup. It's not about who would win going face-to-face, it's which interface device delivers the better gaming experience for FPS players. Being slightly slower at turning and aiming is being far outweighed by the benefits of analog movement and rumble feedback and better ergonomics and analog triggers and natural panning/turning (the mouse has to be reset every so often).
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By august
@Seppli said:
"   @august: 

Watch this video and tell me you'll pull off more cool shit than this with a KB&M setup...

Thought so.

"

You're really going to have to let me know which bit you think is the impressive part. None of it is extraordinarily from an aiming or control perspective. You're being purposefully ignorant .
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By X19

This explains everything you need to know to fix your problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5o8d1kitM&feature=related 

I'm serious man the only reason I mess up shots is when I think to much, if im in the zone they are easy.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By nrain

I love how the first reply is from a PC elitist...and they wonder why no-one likes them.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Seppli
@august: 

That was some dapper gameplay overall. I don't see how much one could improve with a KB&M setup doing the same stuff. I'd even argue most KB&M players can't even dream of pulling off some of his shit. I don't know you and how good of a player you are, but its highly likely that you are the lesser player, even if you'd play with a KB&M setup.

You can check any number of gameplay montages from good console players - if it takes no-scoping snipers, then go and check out some sniper vids. I'm not that into that kind of gameplay, but it's there, tons of it. The vast majority of the PC crowd doesn't give gamepads a fair shake, because they have a narrow view of things. Frag or be frag'd. While it might be true that KB&M is superior in terms of quick aiming and turning, it lacks a lot of features a gamepad provides - many of which improve the overall gameplay experience. It's ignorant to overlook this fact.
R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By R3Qui4M
@MrMuscle: Reduce your sensitivity incrementally until you find one where you get no twitch even if it is all the way down to 1. After you are comfortable with the sensitivity you'll be able to increase sensitivity gradually if you want. I started COD at 5. Found it mad twitchy, dropped it 2 felt comfortable with it. Now after working my way up gradually I now play on 9 without twitch.
Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Jambones
@commandercup said:
" If you want to train acutally aiming instead of spraying, go for guns with low rates of fire. Try using a pistol (you'll take a hit on your KDR) and actually aiming....                                        "
This sounds like a great way to get better to me. Might do it myself, expecting heavy casualties at first, of course :-) Trying to ambush and sneak is a good complement, and a laugh sometimes too.
R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By R3Qui4M
@Seppli: I do agree with you, modern shooters play much better with controllers, just because of game design. PC shooter like HL, CS, TF2, Quake and UT have melee as a weapon, which is much easier to manage on PC than console. But games like COD and Halo have a melee button which is much easier to hit on the controller. This opinion is coming from a hardcore CS, TF2 and UT player, who enjoys modern shooter on consoles more.
klinkcow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By klinkcow
@GetEveryone said:
" @klinkcow: Touche, buddy.  I'd also like to point out that spelling and grammar are necessarily the same thing ;)  You spelled grammar wrong (I am just trolling, I'm not actually a massive cunt). "
...hard to decipher
Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mighty
@MementoMori said:
"Get off the consoles if you want precise aiming "
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DrPockets000

Fire in bursts.  Most of my kills are headshots as a result.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@DrPockets000 said:
" Fire in bursts.  Most of my kills are headshots as a result. "
This.

Plus get used to crouching more often. I always remember never crouching in twitch shooters, but found it invaluable with games like BC2.
leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By leburgan
@Seppli: While I can agree wtih you that rumble helps and it is better for movement, I still feel more immersed for pc. Perhapse its because I don't have a great home theater set up and that I have a really nice computer set up with good headphones and a big monitor that I feel better in. I also just seem to interface with KB&M better. I think it all comes down to personal prefrance, and when I play particuarly fps on a gamepad I can just feel the accuracy that I'm missing and it doesn't feel right to me, I always want more control, and feel weak without it.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#47  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@MementoMori said:
" Get off the consoles if you want precise aiming "
I love how everyone that has re-quoted this has a white name. Speaker slant right there. And really, how predictable this has turned into some sort of Keyboard and Mouse vs. Gamepad debate. 

Really, unless you are big on sniping, having precise aim isn't super important. However, if you want to be better at aiming, I would recommend turning down the sensitivity and then gradually going up until you can be fast and precise at the same time. Or you could be like me and use automatic weapons with high accuracy (because I am balls at sniping), occasionally getting a headshot now and then without having to worry about it all the time.