Hey, I got a 3D TV! Now what?

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By krummey

Anybody having "good" experiences with 3D? Having played a few games since getting the set yesterday, I'd say my favorite so far is Super Stardust HD. My son loves Uncharted 3, and well, EVERYTHING as long as it's 3D.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

The 3DS was pretty cool, even if the 3D does the exact opposite of what early commercials depicted.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Branthog

The 3D gimmick has, essentially, been a complete failure. They pushed it hard and almost nobody wanted it. They'll tell you that it's selling like crazy, but the secret truth is that it sells like crazy, because it's put into almost every TV you buy now by default. So, of course it's selling like crazy. But it's not the purpose of the purchases. It'll be interesting to see how much content continues to be produced in 3D, as a result. My guess is that once it has been pushed to all television sets (even if that's not why we bought them), then we'll start to see 3D feeds/options for almost all content. Especially some day, when we've all moved to 4k television sets, where you can have 3D *and* not sacrifice high definition or brightness.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

Hook it up to a PC with an nvidia card.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aetheldod

@Branthog: Ohhh I cant wait for the day when 4k tv sets are afordable ... or better yet that 8k screen :D

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Branthog

@Aetheldod said:

@Branthog: Ohhh I cant wait for the day when 4k tv sets are afordable ... or better yet that 8k screen :D

I'm a little worried that it'll never happen, sadly. We are only now getting to the point that people are starting to get 720/1080 sets and a ton of people still say things like "I don't see how it could be any better than my current [4:3, CRT, 27"] television and regular DVDs". My first 1080 set was in 2000. I figure that if it takes ten years to become a standard and start to be affordable (and then I would buy one) and then another ten years after that (as with the 1080 example) before enough people start buying them that it's common place and all the content is available for it. . . . then I will probably be dead. :/

It's really sad, because the difference between 4k and 1080 is even bigger than the difference between standard and 1080. And 8k likely more so. Hell, before too long, I'm sure we'll be at 16k which is what the OMNIMAX theaters like at the OMSI planetarium use. At that point, you're looking at such high resolution that it's hard to discern from real life. *sigh*

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aetheldod

@Branthog: 16k!!!!?? ... duder dont torture a bro :( , yeah so sad that most people dont understand the difference , nor know that SD content in a HD set is till SD content :/

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikey87144

@Branthog said:

@Aetheldod said:

I'm a little worried that it'll never happen, sadly. We are only now getting to the point that people are starting to get 720/1080 sets and a ton of people still say things like "I don't see how it could be any better than my current [4:3, CRT, 27"] television and regular DVDs". My first 1080 set was in 2000. I figure that if it takes ten years to become a standard and start to be affordable (and then I would buy one) and then another ten years after that (as with the 1080 example) before enough people start buying them that it's common place and all the content is available for it. . . . then I will probably be dead. :/

It's really sad, because the difference between 4k and 1080 is even bigger than the difference between standard and 1080. And 8k likely more so. Hell, before too long, I'm sure we'll be at 16k which is what the OMNIMAX theaters like at the OMSI planetarium use. At that point, you're looking at such high resolution that it's hard to discern from real life. *sigh*

Unless you're blind who the hell would argue that CRT looks as good as an HDTV? I can still remember getting my HDTV and playing Battlefield 1943 for the first time in HD. There is a big difference.

mrlogical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrlogical

Uncharted 3 has definitely been my favorite 3D gaming experience. Batman was disappointing, I think that game is too dark to really take advantage of the effect.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

My dad bought a 3DTV, and I've tried a few movies, and Crysis 2, I'm still not impressed with 3D. Until they put out TV's where we don't have to wear the glasses and it's just a regular thing, I'll be fine with it. I feel like I put on the glasses for little reason. So anyone that says they're impressed with it, I wonder why it is. Maybe I just haven't tried out enough 3D products to "get it".

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DeF

what now? return the TV, I guess?

on some podcast I heard that Wipeout was supposedly pretty neat in 3D though?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Humanity

@Krummey: what brand did you buy?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By mordukai

Now you get to enjoy 3D movies and games in their glorious fuzziness. Buy a good supply of headache pills, you'll need them.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zeforgotten

I love all the people dissing 3D. 
Enjoy it, that's what I do. Looks great

Then again, it's not a "Phony" or "Samtung" or any other cheap affordable-by-hobo brand I have. Fucking knock offs people seem to be buying today

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By blueinferno

Get naked!

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By fox01313

Apart from some of the completely cgi animated films (monsters vs aliens is the only one that comes to mind at the moment), most 3d to me is still more of a gimmick than anything. I'm sure there might be some good things out there for it but so far I've not seen enough to want to get a 3d tv. Especially when every time I think of 3d movies now, my mind goes back to the one article put up online about 3d technology & how our eyes/mind works.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

gaffyh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gaffyh

This post really should be on Tested .com

but maybe Avatar? the movie, not the game btw.

Wipeout HD / Fury is meant to be amazing in 3D, try that out. And Motorstorm Apocalypse too, not sure whetherthat was good or not though, google some reviews on the 3D

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@MrKlorox said:
Hook it up to a PC with an nvidia card.
I fully endorse this idea. Get the most out of that fancy TV.
Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Gears of War 3 looked great in 3D so did MK

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By krummey

I'm actually enjoying it so far. We haven't watched any movies yet, but Uncharted, Super Stardust, Wipeout, and Ratchet and Clank all work well. I'm sure the novelty will wear off, but what the hell? As has been pointed out, almost every TV will soon have 3D. We might as well get used to it and hope some good gaming experiences come from it.

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By krummey
@Humanity It's a Vizio, with passive 3D. Last year's model.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Ball peen hammer time..

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Getz

Get a refund

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Crixaliz

@Krummey: You could try out Crysis 2, I thought looked pretty awesome in 3D. The hud is curved and pops-out in a cool way.

krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By krummey
@Crixaliz I played the slightest bit of Resistance and kept going cross-eyed while aiming, but I'll give Crysis a shot. I tried it earlier this year and had what seems to be the same experience Johnny V started with.
ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By ShadowSkill11

It seems to me thinking about what you would do with a 3Dtv would be a pre-requisite to actually buying one. But I have a 46" 3D Samsung and the Sony OLED 3D Viewer. I'f I were you I'd hook it up to a computer with Nvidia 3D support and go nuts.