Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By TheBluthCompany

Poll How do we feel about Robocop 2? (67 votes)

Great 16%
Good 12%
Watchable 28%
Bad 16%
Terrible 6%
So-Bad-It's-Good 3%
Helix Fossil 18%

Fact: Robocop 2 is directed by Irvin Kershner, director of Empire Strikes Back.

Fact: Empire Strikes Back is the Best Star Wars Movie.

ERGO: Robocop 2 is great.

Fact: Cyborgs that are addicted to designer drugs make movies 300% better.

Fact: Robocop 2 was co-written by Frank Miller. (In all honesty, I'm not sure if this is a positive or negative)

Fact: This is one of the funniest damn scenes in cinema history:

So what are your thoughts? I like to think you know the right answer.

• 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Bad. The best thing I could say about it is it isn't nearly as bad as Robocop 3.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Haven't seen it but like most sequels I assume it is shit

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's....okay, I guess. The first is multiple levels beyond 2 in terms of quality.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's terrible, save for the awesome prototype scene. Which went on longer than that clip.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Garbage.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EXTomar

Robocop 2 was good but it feels like it was a copy trying to duplicate the original instead of understanding it. The two big things in my memory that were flaws:

- The way they treated drugs and the crime wave that came with it seems off. It should have been a situation where everyone already knows "drugs are bad" but no one cares instead of trying to fight against the suppliers. They should have shown people actually getting angry at the police taking out the dealers!

- "Robo-cop 2" should have been shown to be "the better Robo-cop" because he was insane enough to embrace the whole thing completely and entirely. Of course in the end The Classic Murphy wins out in the end but the threat should have always been that Murphy would be replaced or considered junk.

Oh and the recent remake blows.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's way underrated. It's nowhere near Robocop Robocop though.

TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheBluthCompany

@jsnyder82: Yeah, I couldn't find the whole scene on Youtube. Sorry about that.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

It's not terrible, although it's also not very necessary. I do still like my Japanese Robocop 2 laserdisc I picked up when I went to TGS, though.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chrissedoff

I agree with Rorie. It stops short of being terrible, but it's not worth watching at all. On the subject of Empire, as much as people are loath to give any credit to George Lucas after he disgraced himself in his later career, he was way more responsible for the quality of The Empire Strikes Back than Kershner was.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frank Miller put out a Robocop comic a few years ago that is supposed to be his true vision for Robocop 2. It is almost unreadable. Do not buy that for a dollar.

The movie itself has some fun moments, but comes nowhere near the work of art that is Robocop.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw it last year again. I forgot how bad it was.

I also forgot the corporation's Nazi-like banners toward the end. Laying it on a little thick.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I actually only just saw Robocop 2 this week. I fucking looooove Robocop and even though I'd heard 2 wasn't anywhere near as bad as 3, it still didn't have a good reputation at all, so I'd avoided it. But then www.redlettermedia.com used the remake as an excuse to talk about Robocop 1 and 2 and their positivity towards 2 made me finally check it out.

It's inferior to Robocop, but that's none too surprising, as Robocop is a god damn masterpiece. I would probably put it somewhere between good and great, I ended up voting 'great' because it seems underrated - I, myself, had been avoiding it for years when it really does deserve better treatment.

So the story is kind of messy. It kind of has a lot of really great ideas that suffer for being poorly structured. An example, and one raised in the redlettermedia discussion, is when Robocop is rebuilt by OCP with his whole host of committee-designed new directives that render him utterly ineffectual. Rather than be something that Robocop has to overcome before the final confrontation, they just play it for some laughs and then it's dealt with about 10 minutes later. From this point on, there isn't really anything more to Murphy's story arc, even though there is still a decent way to go to get to the end of the film.

I would also say that it really misses the mark in trying to recapture the satirical nature of the first film. The scene in Robocop where it cuts from the news story about the orbital laser platform misfiring and killing over 100 people, including two former presidents, to an ad for a fun-for-the-whole-family boardgame simulating nuclear war is fantastic. Paul Verhoeven used this juxtaposition really effectively in Robocop and even in other films like Starship Troopers and the message he attached to these scenes is very concise and biting. Similar scenes in Robocop 2 have the exaggerated nature, but lack the point as far as I can see. The ad about the sunscreen you need to slather on to go out in the California sun, with the surgeon generals warning that the sunscreen causes cancer is good for a laugh, but there's really not much more to it. It's silly and over the top, but it doesn't really say anything. Maybe a feeble environmental message?

So it's not at all on the same level as Robocop, but it's crazy and fun enough and I guess steals enough tricks from Robocop to still be pretty great. Robocop never needed a sequel and in making more movies, it kind of ends up becoming part of what the original was satirising, but it was also just a lot of fun to be back in that world. If you just go in to it to watch a decent action movie, it can really be a lot of fun. The footage of OCP developing Robocop 2 is obviously a highlight, maybe up there with ED-209 in the boardroom. It's another great performance from Peter Weller and some fun performances from other cast members, such as Tom Noonan. There's some really pretty top notch stop-motion animation in there. I think there's really quite a lot to like about it. Also, I have to make mention of the fact that in Robocop 2, the new robotic police officer that OCP make is called Robocop 2. I think that's fantastic.

As for Frank Miller's involvement, I looked in to it after to watching the film and the way it went was that he wrote the initial script and then another screenwriter was brought in to rewrite it. Quite a lot changed and Miller was obviously displeased about it, but his original vision was later released as a comic series. I found a... review, I guess... that went through the issues of the series, detailing the plot and showing the occasional page. Man. MAN. It was awful in a pretty amazing way. Lewis' clothes get burnt or blown off in basically every scene she was in.

Basically, if you don't go in expecting it to be as good as Robocop, there's potentially a lot of fun to be had.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaggE

I'm rather pro-boCop 2 (eh? eh?). It's dumb fun. That's not a good follow-up to the "smart fun" of the first movie, I admit, but it's a hoot all the same.

Edit: Just finished rewatching the original right after posting this. Doesn't have any bearing on what I had said, just wanted to say that RoboCop is fucking awesome. And even after all this time, Murphy's "death" and the toxic waste scene are still beautifully horrific. Also, the makeup job on melting Emil is Savini quality. Every time I see it, I notice a new detail.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen either in over a decade. I actually have more memories of robocop 2 than robocop 1. Probably because i saw it first. I dont think it's bad or anything. It's just an ok action flick. That being said i don't hold any reverence towards robocop at all.

With the kneejerk hate reaction towards the remake i found the whole "robocop was an amazing movie" stuff to be kinda overblown. I mean sure it's a good fun action flick, but come on...It's just a good fun action flick with some sharp albeit outdated satire.

The worst thing ive heard about the new remake was that it was limited by its PG13 rating, everything else about it seems good.

Then again people are still upset about transformers, a cartoon show literally created just to sell toys. (no im not defending the god awful transformers movies, they're garbage, but raping your childhood they are not)

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jsnyder82

@jsnyder82: Yeah, I couldn't find the whole scene on Youtube. Sorry about that.

When the other prototype takes off the helmet and the skull screams, oh my God, it's hilarious/frightening.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Robocop was in a sense a perfect movie. Robocop 2 was a perfect sequel. It literally had a Robocop 2 in it. It was a brilliant way to follow the original.

Nobody better mention the other movie.

studioerebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people are crazy, Robocop 2 is great - just not in the same way that Robocop 1 is. I'm glad to hear the fine folks over at Red Letter Media are working to set the record straight.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By cornbredx

Robocop 2 is a cheesy movie, but I enjoyed it as a kid. I still kind of like it as an adult, even if some of that is ironic (The dirty cop having his face smashed into an arcade machine is something I always seem to remember). It's bad, but it's a fun kind of bad.

Robocop 3, though, is complete garbage.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

please before you comment..... it's the closest thing we got to frank miller till sin city.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By crithon
Loading Video...

this defefend the entire film all together..... aside from data east cameos

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's bad. The effects are cool, as is the bountiful bloody action. Everything else sucks. And I mean even the action scenes, despite having ample gore of sorts, are horrible to look at. Eh, at least it isn't as bad as 3.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You guys are terrible ... Robocop 2 is agood movie .. granted as stated is not as great as Robocop 1 but damn it that robot on robot action is soo sweat... als motherpuppy NUKE!!!! D:

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As a kid I remember thinking it was way more scary than Robocop 1, somehow Murphy getting shot to pieces didn't bother me as a 7 year old, but Cain in robocop form with his weird monitor face scared the shit out of me.

Today it's an alright film, but not nearly as good as the original.

Avatar image for daviddeusex2001
DavidDeusEx2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't remember it. I remember a lot from the original and those samurai ninja guys from the third one but everything about Robocop 2 escapes me. I might have to watch it now. Don't think I will ever watch the reboot. It looks awful and a waste of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Robocop 2 is like school on a Sunday:

Unnecessary.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I read the thread title, thought to myself, "I'd call it watchable". Then came in, and watchable was one of the choices. Good job, OP.

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By daggon55

Robocop 2 has some very good moments. The unveiling montage posted above being one of its best. The new main villain Cain is a interesting change from the the first movies Clarence, a move to a more reserved psycho (until they make him a robot). The transition to the drugs as main ill they are combating is a good satirical move with the 90s "war on drugs" stuff.

I have one really huge problem with this movie though, the central plot point of turning Cain into the next Robocop is just too absurdly contrived for me. I just don't understand how the new evil corporate lady (I forget her name) manages to convince everyone that putting a drug crazed criminal kingpin into a huge robot suit with a mini-gun is a GOOD IDEA. The one nerdy scientist guy opposes it, but he's the only one, its crazy it seems like anybody would say "Wait what? No that just crazy he'd start killing people, we're not doing that."

I know its a logical quibble with something thats just supposed to be absurd, but it just bugs the crap out of me that everyone seems so hot to jump into what is so clearly a terrible dangerous stupid idea that goes wrong almost immediately.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So bad I didn't watch the last 20 or so minutes.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I think a lot of people are thinking 3 but Robocop 2 is the one with the little kid gangster/drug kingpin, both 2 and 3 are completely vile, not even in it's so bad it's good kind of way, 2 is a mess, 3 was just stupid.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Call me insane, but I go back and forth between 1 and 2 as being my favorite. I just love that the last 20 mins of the second movie was just a big stupid claymation robot fight.

The "other" movie(s) don't exist as far as I'm concerned.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShaggE

Has anyone seen that Prime Directives miniseries? Is that worth watching at all?

TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheBluthCompany

@stonyman65: But Cyborg Ninjas! What's not to love? You know, except for plot, characters, special effects, jetpacks.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always enjoyed the 2nd one even if it doesn't have the same shine as the first (but what sequel does?).

My big issue with 2 is that it reminds me that the next film is Robocop 3.