How much money are you really spending on games?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Do you actually keep a record of your spending on games? Are you afraid to work it out as the high cost may scare you?

A little explanation before I inform you of my spend. I have Asperger’s, so I have some traits that see me making lists, lots of lists. Anyway, with that in mind, I have an Excel spreadsheet on my Mac that tracks my spending. It isn’t pretty.

In the 20 weeks since the start of May this year, my spending goes a little like this:

Nintendo DS games:
15 games @ $435

Nintendo Wii games:
17 games @ $780

Sony PS2 games:
9 games @ $300

Sony PSP games:
3 games @ $90

Total:
44 games @ $1605

That is more than 2 games EVERY week. That is an average of $80 EVERY week.  At that rate, I would likely spend over $4,000 in a year!

On top of that, I also spent $300 on a second Nintendo Wii, an NTSC version. That takes it to $1905.

Keep in mind, I have a good job, that pays well. I have no ‘bad’ habits (alcohol, tobacco, drugs) and I could care less about cars and sport, nor do I frequent cafes and restaurants. So I am in a good position to indulge my love of games.

So, what about the general populace here? Anyone ‘worse’ than me? Anyone think I need to go to GA (Gamer’s Anonymous) and get counselling?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Well I generally shop around so I don't buy games at full price, so calculating it wouldn't be easy, but as an guesstimate I'd say since the start of the year about £500-750. That's about $1000-1500

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
MattyFTM said:
"Well I generally shop around so I don't buy games at full price, so calculating it wouldn't be easy, but as an guesstimate I'd say since the start of the year about £500-750. That's about $1000-1500"
I am a significant bargain hunter myself.  The only games I paid close to full price for where Wii Fit, Super Smash Bro, Mario Kart Wii, Guitar Hero III and DDR Hottest Party, all on the Wii.

The RRP retail for Wii games is $100, DS $60-$70 and PSP $70.  The average I paid on the Wii was $46 and that includes 3 games at $120-$130 each.  The average I paid on the DS was only $29,  The average on the PSP was $30.  At near to or full price, I would have a lot less games (my full collection of console games exceeds 600).
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Axersia

Well, I only spent about $1500 on games last year, but that was all the money I had. This year I spent a lot of it on rave parties and creepy anime merchandising (I know, it's an odd mix), so I ended up spending a lot less on games. But hey, if gaming is all you do for fun, then I don't see what the problem is. You can either spend it on games or... invest it and just get more money to spend on games.

Also, no, I don't make lists or give a damn about how much I spend on things. I actually have ADHD, which sorta makes me your polar opposite. :P

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru

I haven't kept track of all my game purchases in the past. I will track of the games I buy so I can pay them off, then not worry about it anymore. I don't think it would scare me if it was a really high number--I would expect that. I don't see why I would be shocked by a high number. As long as I have enough money for essentials, it doesn't matter to me. I enjoy videogames, so I buy them.

I also don't buy many games at full price. I wait for price drops more often now.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crunchUK

a lot but i barely buy anything over £20 these days unless i REALLY want it. and my dad buys most of my games so hehehehehe

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
Axersia said:
"Well, I only spent about $1500 on games last year, but that was all the money I had. This year I spent a lot of it on rave parties and creepy anime merchandising (I know, it's an odd mix), so I ended up spending a lot less on games. But hey, if gaming is all you do for fun, then I don't see what the problem is. You can either spend it on games or... invest it and just get more money to spend on games.

Also, no, I don't make lists or give a damn about how much I spend on things. I actually have ADHD, which sorta makes me your polar opposite. :P"
We would make for an interesting mix at the pub!

I do argue that I have to have a hobby and it is a lot cheaper than alcohol, tobacco and drugs.  Plus a lot healthier.  My only other real hobby of trout fishing isn't massively expensive.

I alos have a spreadsheet on how much time I have spent playing EVERY Wii game since I purchased them.  I made myself sad. :(

I make the purchase list as a concession to my partner who rightly says that I spend too much on games.  I set myself a budget of $40 a week ($2080 a year).  I am about $800 overspent and would need to NOT buy another game for 4 months to get back into line.  Not real optimistic about that.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'm only going to count this generation for the sake of not thinking about what could potentially give my parents heartattacks.

Xbox 360: $1020

PC: $50

Wii: $160

Total: $1245.

Having a hobby I love: Priceless.....

Wow. I have no idea how many PS2 games are in my house because it was my brother's system and I can't for the life of me remember all of the Xbox games I have. But I assure you all of that adds up to a couple thousand more.

Damn.

HoldSteady828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By HoldSteady828

My 300 a year on gamefly is looking pretty good now.

A very cheap way to stay on top of the newest releases, plus you can buy the games for cheap if you should fall in love.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dalai

Since 2007, I spent approximately $1200 on games and gaming accessories.  I'll try to figure it out.  Let's see... $250 for a Wii, $150 on controllers and accessories, and $800 on games.  Yep, that's right.

I'm unlikely to spend that much money on games this year and next year... unless I somehow win a big heap of cash.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
BiggerBomb said:
"I'm only going to count this generation for the sake of not thinking about what could potentially give my parents heartattacks.

Xbox 360: $1020

PC: $50

Wii: $160

Total: $1245.

Having a hobby I love: Priceless.....

Wow. I have no idea how many PS2 games are in my house because it was my brother's system and I can't for the life of me remember all of the Xbox games I have. But I assure you all of that adds up to a couple thousand more.

Damn."
I had tp photograph all my games for my insurance policy - to get the maximum in a worst case scenario.  Cosidering how much games cost and the fact that they are the same price no as they were in 1990, then I can give you a ballpark guesstimate as to the value of my games:
Wii - 30+ $2,000
DS - 70+ $3,500
Cube - 110+ $8,000
GBA - 100+ $5,000
N64 - 40+ $3,000
GBC - 20+ $1,000
SNES - 40+ $3,000
GB - 20+ $1,000
PS2 - 70+ $3,000
PS1 - 10+ $500
PSP - 40+ $2,000
Xbox - 60+ $4,000
Mega Drive - 40+ $3,000
TOTAL 650+  $39,000

Plus all the sytems (2 Wii, 4 DS, 2 PSP, 6 GBA, 2 GBC, 2 Cube, 2 N64 and 1 of each of the other), then the extra controllers, leads, Gameboy Player, memory cards et cetera and that figure would exceed $50,000.  Best I don't work it out then. :P
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike

I love gaming and I've been gaming since I was a kid in the early 80's, but I'm a lot more frugal with my spending now.  I haven't bought a new game since GTAIV was released. 

I certainly could afford to go out any buy every game that is released for every system, but I don't have the time nor the inclination to do that anymore.  I'd rather all that extra money be spent on more important things like my house or investing in my future. 

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't know exactly how much money but I do spend a lot.  I buy one to two to maybe even 3 or 4 X360 games a month.  Usually, I get about one DS game a month too.  I get a Wii game every 3 months, though, so there I don't spend as much.  Still, it adds up, and this fall and winter are going to be even more spending for me with all the games coming out.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
MB said:
"I love gaming and I've been gaming since I was a kid in the early 80's, but I'm a lot more frugal with my spending now.  I haven't bought a new game since GTAIV was released. 

I certainly could afford to go out any buy every game that is released for every system, but I don't have the time nor the inclination to do that anymore.  I'd rather all that extra money be spent on more important things like my house or investing in my future. "
What happened to you man, you used to be cool :P

Time is my issue as well - cash rich, time poor.  So many of my games have had under an hour of my love.  Some have never been played at all.  I have a special shelf on the game case for games I want to complete.  Damn thing keeps growing.  Oh well, at least I finished Final Fantasy III DS.  I have also finally made good progress on Tales of Symphonia.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By mike

If it makes you feel any better, I'm about to pull the trigger on a PS3.  The plan is to go back and play a bunch of PS2 games that I missed (which is pretty much all of them...I never even played God of War).

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Blu_Magic

I don't really keep a record but I'm guessing I spend at least $500 a year on games.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Demilich

This year I've spent approx $1400 on games. PS3 and upgrading my PC was at least half of that.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Meowayne

I'd say between €400 and €800 in a year.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shocker

I don't really want to know how much I spend...

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I generally spend an average of $600 a year on games.  If I added up my whole collection from years past, I could buy a nice new car.  I don't have any vices though, so a hobby that I greatly enjoy is necessary to me.

HannibalKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HannibalKing

Since I've been using gamefly I have spend money on games that I really want, which isn't many. Most games can be rented, played and completed in a few or two.I guess you can count the monthly gamefly fee as my gaming spending budget.  And the occasional console.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne

Of course I don't keep games. Games that aren't played anymore immediatly get sold. Otherwise gaming would definatly be too expensive.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jordan23

I don't keep track of my gaming spending, but id I took a guess - I'll say I've spent about $800 dollars just this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

probably $1500 to $2000 since i started. my parents pay for all my stuff though.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Homer

More than I wish to share with other people lol...

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By chronicsmoke

too much lets just put it that way

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blu_Magic
Xeros606 said:
"probably $1500 to $2000 since i started. my parents pay for all my stuff though."
You lucky bastard. =O
Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Clean

I have only bought one game this whole summer MGS4 and I sold Civ Revolution. My parents don't really buy anything videogame related I have to work at my dad's company :) it pays well and it easy. I have 350 dollars in cash so I'm good for the Fall

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shawn

$780 on the Wii OP? I never thought that was possible.

I spend much more than I should on games, I don't keep record but my financial expenditures go something like(last year):

Guitars/Bass: $1,500
Video Games: $700
Other stuff, like the stuff thats imperative to living, like food: <$700, lulz.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I were to count all the games I will have bought that came out in 2008, it would be around 40 titles....

LOTS OF MONEY. :(

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pause422

between just this year and the ones yet to be out, it'll come to be at least 1400 bucks this year alone.... I'm sure I've easily spent around 25k on games throughout my life, counting a better PC at one point for some, probably more.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Blu_Magic
Sentry said:
"If I were to count all the games I will have bought that came out in 2008, it would be around 40 titles....

LOTS OF MONEY. :("
I only bought 2 games this year. I wish I had money. =(
Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me too mate, i still (believe it or not) have not bought a single game that has come out in 2008.

I have a lot to go;

Burnout Paradise
Turok
Lost Planet
Army of Two
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Dark Sector
Gran Turismo 5
Grand Theft Auto IV
Haze
SingStar
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
GRID
Metal Gear Solid 4
Battlefield: Bad Company
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames [August 31]
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed [September 16]
Buzz! Quiz TV [September 23]
Just Cause 2 [September 23]
Far Cry 2 [October 1]
Project Origin [October 1]
Fallout 3 [October 7]
Fracture [October 7]
Midnight Club: Los Angeles [October 7]
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift [October 7]
Saints Row 2 [October 14]
SOCOM Confrontation [October 14]
Rock Band 2 [October 19]
Dead Space [October 20]
LittleBigPlanet [October 21]
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows [October 21]
Bioshock [November 3]
Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon [November 3]
Resistance 2 [November 4]
Call of Duty: World at War [November 11]
Mirror's Edge [November 11]
Prince of Persia [November 18]
Sonic Unleashed [November 18]

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By chililili

definitely more than 700 already and I have 400 set aside that are liekly to be spent this year

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kratos81

I dont count, I make enough money that I can easily afford my gaming habit and I own all three consoles. I do regret trading in games I thought I wouldnt play again and then rebuying them. I am not trading in another game this gen unless it sucks.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Absurd

I haven't spent money on a game in awhile

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By AndrewGaspar

How do you have time for that many games...?

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By angelkimne

Dunno. As well as buying about 1 game a month on 360, DS, Wii or PC i have a 9.45 game rental subscription and two game magazine subsciptions (GamesTM & Edge) at 3 pounds a month each or so.
So about 485 pounds every year overall.
Or $950. But probably more since i buy another game magazine mostly once a month and this year alone i've bought a new gaming computer, DS and a Wii.  Lest us forget $70 on Live Gold.
So this year i probably will of spent about $1,800 on games, so there's your answer.
$1,800

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Demyx

In the past year, I've spent maybe $110. And that was on GHIII and GTA Vice City.
Last christmas I got the Orange Box, R&C (Up Your Arsenal, Going Commando, the original, and Tools of Destruction), COD 4 and Folklore. But those were all gifts.
And this christmas I'll just get a bunch of games for my PS3.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By BiggerBomb

Being a teenager and living off your parents is pretty awesome.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By BoG

I did the math, nearly 700 dollars for me on games, and I bought a PS3, so that increases that total. That really could have helped pay tuition, but it won't change my habits.
<3 video games.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By brydello

I've been cutting back. I used to buy every single game that came out.
That's hard on the wallet when you have every console and handheld.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blu_Magic said:
"Xeros606 said:
"probably $1500 to $2000 since i started. my parents pay for all my stuff though."
You lucky bastard. =O"
well im 15 and cant get a job, and my family is pretty well off. and its probably the cheapest way to keep me sane xD.
SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SSbabel

I wouldnt want too, its too depressing knowing i spent all that money on games. So far this year i have only purchased 3 games, so this year aint to bad on the bank account.

Metalloid91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Metalloid91

i used to spend like 200 a month but when summer started i almost completly stoped playing games

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By crunchUK
BiggerBomb said:
"Being a teenager and living off your parents is pretty awesome."
haha yeah. up yours working world..! :P actually mind you 7 hours of school a day times 5 = 35 hours a day and i'm not including homework or soprts or music or anything D: we're getting screwed
Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Blu_Magic
Xeros606 said:
"Blu_Magic said:
"Xeros606 said:
You lucky bastard. =O"
well im 15 and cant get a job, and my family is pretty well off. and its probably the cheapest way to keep me sane xD."
I'm 16 and don't have a job but my parents will barely ever give me money for videogames. I usually just save up the money I get from holidays and the money left over from buying lunch at school.
Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vlademir

Probably $500 per year max.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By oldschool
Blu_Magic said:
"Xeros606 said:
"Blu_Magic said:
"Xeros606 said:
You lucky bastard. =O"
well im 15 and cant get a job, and my family is pretty well off. and its probably the cheapest way to keep me sane xD."
I'm 16 and don't have a job but my parents will barely ever give me money for videogames. I usually just save up the money I get from holidays and the money left over from buying lunch at school."
Being the parent in my situation, I have the exact opposite to your parents.  My daughters are 13 and 15 and I have been known to buy $500 worth of games for a birthday and more for Christmas.  Any excuse will do.  I guess it is simply because I love games myself.  

We started out with Pokemon, when they were 5.  I remember the stupid names we gave our Pokemon, and all that cloning we did to ensure we all had as many Pokemon as possible.  Good times.  Over 10 years later, we still get every Pokemon game and play together.  These days Harvest Moon is a bigger favourite,