I am constantly revisiting a computer game hay-day

Avatar image for deactivated-5a05ff5271261
deactivated-5a05ff5271261

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've heard it before that many veterans out there are familiar with the "looking at things through rose colored glasses" P.O.V. I think this is almost certainly an understatement. Perhaps many people are adjusting to the times and it's just me that is left behind. Whatever dialogue choices I make, it does not negate the fact that I, or more importantly we were once novice gamers. We all gravitated to a particular style of game.

I would equate what I'm talking about to the spreading of cable in the late 70s and 80s. What did this bring about? A lot of customization. People were no longer being force fed their entertainment. It seems this was a logical and vital step.

So...

this brings forth several questions. Are there two varieties of people that play games for different reasons? And what if anything is the end game reward for running the 'gauntlet' of 'technophile' vs 'old school'? What I'm trying to say is that I dislike how I must refer back to previous experience instead of instinctively knowing how to enact or react in something.

The dichotomy I'm facing beneath the surface of the rose colored glasses argument is troubling and I have not yet found a good answer as to why it is the way it is. Does anyone feel the same division on this subject? Any knowledge is appreciated.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I've read this three times and I still don't really know what you are asking or what problem you seem to be perceiving. Are you trying to say newer games aren't intuitive to learn how to play?

I will say I think there are a lot more varieties of gamers today than whatever your definition of "technophile" and "old school" are. So I guess no I don't feel the same division?

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@brostartarus: There are more than 7 billion people on the planet. If you ask each and every one of them they will give 7 billion different reasons why they (should) play (video) games. This discussion goes beyond video games.

What I mean is that its not a black and white dichotomy at all. For instance, I prefer old games to newer ones but enjoy Amiga games more than the console counterparts for its time for a lot of personal reasons. Its just something I keep enjoying myself more atmospherically, ambience can be an factor for some and there may be lots of things to take into account, all considering the time, culture and age you've grown up with.

Its difficult to explain exactly what I mean, kinda like what you imagine the perfect bar to look like. There is a lot to talk about ambience and how you perceive an atmosphere that is comfortable for you individually, you know.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaming is much more diverse than it's ever been, even compared to say 10 years ago so there is no real way to split any group of gamers into 2 groups like "Old school" vs "Technofile"(which i assume is like a graphics/framerate/resolution junkie?).

I enjoy a lot of types of games myself, but rarely go back to older stuff because that's how i always was even as a kid. I wanted the new thing, so a lot of the games i want to go back to are stuff like genesis and neo geo games since i didn't have those systems.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Rigas

Apart from the five dollar words, what are you actually trying to say?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6 chaser324  Moderator

I genuinely have no clue what you're asking or what point you're trying to make. Put the thesaurus away and just plainly state your point.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I dunno I just like games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

I've read this three times and I still don't really know what you are asking or what problem you seem to be perceiving. Are you trying to say newer games aren't intuitive to learn how to play?

Newer games sell immersion, am I right? Playing something that can be engaging and stimulating is a good thing. What I think counter-intuitive is a broad swath of gimmicks to make gaming more intense, challenging or realistic. But this is slightly beside the point I'm trying to make.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dray2k: I appreciate the insight. And I agree, even though the statistical analyst in me wants my original statement to confess its answers without getting beaten up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rigas: I'm taking about gamer genealogy. Do people move past their roots in gaming?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Hell yeah! Me too, wanna play some?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I see now that my thinking was a little distorted. I wanted a way to sum up a wide range of people playing old computer games. Then compare that to a wide range of people playing games that in my head are unplayable. It's really out of personal bias that I fall into the first group, i'll spare you the reasons why. I think gaming turned a big corner somewhere about 10 to 15 years ago. I don't like games from this decade. So I tend to live in the past. That's about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if you buy me an ice cream D:

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I see now that my thinking was a little distorted. I wanted a way to sum up a wide range of people playing old computer games. Then compare that to a wide range of people playing games that in my head are unplayable. It's really out of personal bias that I fall into the first group, i'll spare you the reasons why. I think gaming turned a big corner somewhere about 10 to 15 years ago. I don't like games from this decade. So I tend to live in the past. That's about it.

This gets the point across for this thread than the actual thread title and original post.

I was really confused about what you were trying to say until this.

condroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brostartarus: Can you give us a few examples for games that you liked back in the day? I also grew up with computer games of the 80s/90s and most of these experiences are still around in some form or another. The gaming landscape of today is incredibly diverse and a lot of stuff flies under the radar, so in some instances you just might have to look a little bit harder.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StrikeALight

It kinda happened to me. I tend to have far more fondness for Snes-Dreamcast era that it's modern counterpart.

IMHO I think its largely due to growing up and a change of perspective.

Zelda BOTW was fuckin rad, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@condroid: Doom, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, Blood, Shadow Warrior

condroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that's not exactly my area of expertise, but here are a few suggestions anyway:

Shadow Warrior had a sequel last year that's pretty close to the original. You are probably already aware of the Doom reboot, although that one strays a bit further from the old formula. Hard Reset and Wrack are two lesser known shooters that are also heavily inspired by that retro style.

There are also a number of pretty cool games that mix old-school fps gameplay with the structure of rouge-likes: Strafe, Tower of Guns, Ziggurat, Paranautical Activity

And finally, there are some upcoming retro shooters: Apocryph, some sort of spiritual successor to Hexen and Heretic, looks really promising. As do Dusk (Quake 1-inspired) and Amid Evil (Heretic).

GamezRGoodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GamezRGoodz

This is an intriguing topic of conversation.

I would mainly like to highlight the following:

@dray2k said:

@brostartarus: ...ambience can be an factor for some and there may be lots of things to take into account, all considering the time, culture and age you've grown up with.

@deactivated-5a05ff5271261 said:

@rigas: ...Do people move past their roots in gaming?

@deactivated-5a05ff5271261 said:

@oursin_360: ...I think gaming turned a big corner somewhere about 10 to 15 years ago. I don't like games from this decade...

I mostly agree with the OP. Newer games just don't excite me like they used to.

Here is an interesting conundrum for you; I have spent more time in video games of this decade, and enjoyed it far less that my previous two decades of gaming.

The nature of games nowadays seems to be geared towards them being played more but with less enjoyable gameplay. I spend a huge amount of time with them but they are not replayable classics that are still good after a long time. Leveling up and grinding seems to be the name of the game. Whilst these are not new concepts in games they seem to be more pervasive than ever, to me at least.

I wonder to what extent this change has to do with the people making games being of a different generation. My favourite games are from the 90's and 00's. Maybe games have changed...

Avatar image for old_school_gaming
Old_School_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deactivated-5a05ff5271261: Similar type of thing as I see it with the dichotomy between younger generations liking Robocop (2014) more than the original (1987), and with the older generations like me who favor the original to inevitably compare the new to the old.