I miss playing with friends on the couch

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

Remember when all of your friends came together, sat on the couch and played games? I miss that feeling. These days people rarely go over to there friends to play, its more like "Hey wanna play some Halo?" "Yea sure dude, Ill meet you online."

I mean online is fun but even with voice chat and  everything, the feeling of actually sitting next to your friend and kicking his ass is gone, for me at-least.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By weltal

I also miss playing with my friends on the couch but in a somewhat different context.
*Returns to his lonely pillow-fortress*

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah I miss that, although I went to a friend's house the other day and six of us had a mini nhl 09 tournament.  GOOD TIMES

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By clarke0

I still do stuff like that sometimes. I've been to LAN parties and when me and my friends hang out we play games a lot of the time. But a lot of multiplayer gaming has become online orientated. Online gaming does let me communicate with friends who don't live near by, so in that way it is good.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By End_Boss

Yeah, I guess sort of. Especially since the vibe on XB Live is almost always ultra-competitive with people throwing insults and racial slurs left and right only because they don't have to answer to anyone face-to-face. Not only that but its nice to know who you're playing with, that way you don't get angry 12-year-olds screaming at you at the other end of the mic. Or worse, happy 12-year-olds that can't stop making "jokes".

Side note: if you have a 12-year-old son/daughter/spawn, they should in no way be allowed to ever come close to the game that is Gears of War 2, much less its online play.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By c1337us
Weltal said:
"I also miss playing with my friends on the couch but in a somewhat different context.
*Returns to his lonely pillow-fortress*"
LOL, I nearly squirted some milk out of my nose. Seriously though I agree with Twlight. I remember in my high school days playing multiplayer over a mates house or whatever and stayed up until all hours of the night eating shitty food whatever. For me its so much better then doing it online. Thinking back I am glad the Red Bull craze wasnt in big back then I'd probably be dead by now.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

4 player WWF No Mercy on Saturday afternoons were some of the greatest times i've ever had. And, look, you've got me crying now.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I still usually play in the same room with friends or family when playing multiplayer. Most of my friends still don't even play online.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Even if local play was still popular, I havent had friends that like playing video games like I do in a looong time.

Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rivix

I think when you we're a kid, all your friends lived close, so you went to each other's house and played games. Now when your older, your friends are further away, so you play online. 

I will always have fond memories of my two best friends and be walking to rent games, walk home and play games like Goof Troop, Mario Party, and SSB: Melee. 
Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Naughton

I remember right after the GameCube came out, me and my friends spent a ridiculous amount of time playing Super Monkey Ball in my basement. Mainly Monkey Target. We made up a house rule that it was perfectly legal to hit the other persons controller while they were in midair to close the ball, thus ruining their turn. So we basically had to be ultra-defensive while playing. Fond memories.

Ottosmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ottosmann

To be honest, I like ssplit-screen gaming far mkore than online gaming.  The feeling of just hanging out with your friends and playing some halo while eating popcorn is awesome.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Naughton
HandsomeDead said:
"4 player WWF No Mercy on Saturday afternoons were some of the greatest times i've ever had. And, look, you've got me crying now."
I remember getting that for Christmas the year it came out and basically doing nothing but playing Royal Rumbles with friends for the next couple of days. I'd kill for a 360 version of that game with online support and updated graphics.
Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rivix
Ottosmann said:
"To be honest, I like ssplit-screen gaming far mkore than online gaming.  The feeling of just hanging out with your friends and playing some halo while eating popcorn is awesome."
Yup. I like it too. Recently its been castle crashers and pixel junk monsters. I think downloadable games  really appeal to this philosophy. Oh, popcorn is good and all, but lets not forget the beers. And pizza. 
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Karmum

I never recall doing that, but I would love to roll out a few TVs or projectors and play Halo or something. Never was able to experience awesome things like that. I'm not even a big fan of Halo, either, but the mediocrity of such games is compensated with the satisfying, and vicious shouting as you pummel your friend, or be pummeled.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Red

In order for that stuff to work everyone would have to spend $200 on controllers after buying a system.

I choose no.
TomServo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TomServo

I hate the loss of splitscreen although I don't hate online I just wish they would it make it standard to include spitscreen modes in all gameplay situations.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

I do miss local multiplayer like that, but that is why there is ROCK BAND.  It revitalized the whole "play with people actually next to you" mentality again.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gizmo

Aah, the good old days, we used all get on the couch, load up the Playstation 2, start doing some Medal Of Honor:Rising Sun 2V2, that game had BRILLIANT co-op/multiplayer. It's a shame that series is dead.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sushbag

The old Goldeneye match was where the men were separated from the boys. On many a couch in the late 90's, wee lads put hair on their chests by making preposterous fortresses of proximity mines. Today's youth know nothing of this, which is why they're full of balderdash and such.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gizmo
Sushbag said:
"The old Goldeneye match was where the men were separated from the boys. On many a couch in the late 90's, wee lads put hair on their chests by making preposterous fortresses of proximity mines. Today's youth know nothing of this, which is why they're full of balderdash and such."
/sigh

WE NEED A GOLDENEYE XBLA

PETITION, RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24
Gizmo said:
"Sushbag said:
"The old Goldeneye match was where the men were separated from the boys. On many a couch in the late 90's, wee lads put hair on their chests by making preposterous fortresses of proximity mines. Today's youth know nothing of this, which is why they're full of balderdash and such."
/sigh

WE NEED A GOLDENEYE XBLA

PETITION, RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

"
As someone who hates online petitions, I actually agree. GET ON IT!
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By suneku

I still play games with my friends on a couch... sometimes on individual chairs, sometimes I'll just sit on my bed while my friends sit on chairs... etc.

Okay, but I'll admit I don't do lan parties at my place anymore... Mainly because I used to do it when me and my friends were in high school, some were too cheap to get certain systems so we just linked up 3 xboxes and played Halo. Or playing Tekken with a bunch of friends as we just waited our turns, and definitely those Goldeneye days.

TomServo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TomServo

I miss "playing" with "friends" on the couch too.

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By hungrynun

I get that feeling too before I realize that I have the whole goddamn screen to myself.

Fighting games are ok with couch sharing.

Krypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Krypton

Man playing tekken was so much fun with my friends.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Shadow

do...do you not own a couch anymore?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#28  Edited By wefwefasdf
Krypton said:
"Man playing tekken was so much fun with my friends."
Did you give them a tap?
starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By starfox444

I like double entendres.  Anyway, i still do that, just less couch and more individual chairs with lots of food and sleep deprivation.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Otacon

I still do occasionally play games with friends. The problem is less games are supporting local play.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Chummy8
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Snail

I remember... Playing in the N64 was tons of fun.

Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stanford

Playiing on the couch is what made Golden Eye so much fun.  I dought any game can recreated the multiplayer expierence that golden eye gave.

HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HiroSeven

I remember playing Street Fighter II when it first came out with a bunch of my friends, I was only 8 or 9 at the time, but I remember having a great time. Then when Street Fighter III came out we all had plans of joining some sort of tournament, but we sucked against the real competitors so we had our own little tournament.

I've lost touch with most of my friends, so I doubt there will be a repeat with Street Fighter IV, but hey I can enjoy that online against you guys!

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aurelito

you've sold your coach over a console? pity that.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#37  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I miss those days as well. Although, there was a point when I just got so good at games and my usual group of friends wouldn't play anymore.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jayge_

The biggest TV in my house is 32" (16:9) so... split-screen can eat a huge dick.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HandsomeDead
Jayge said:
"The biggest TV in my house is 32" (16:9) so... split-screen can eat a huge dick."
This has made me think of something. When playing multiplayer, split screen was always a huge problem. Having a 14'' TV split into quarters made it so awkward to play a lot of times. That's probably why my fondest memories are of games like WWF No Mercy where everyone was on screen at once.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jayge_
HandsomeDead said:
"Jayge said:
"The biggest TV in my house is 32" (16:9) so... split-screen can eat a huge dick."
This has made me think of something. When playing multiplayer, split screen was always a huge problem. Having a 14'' TV split into quarters made it so awkward to play a lot of times. That's probably why my fondest memories are of games like WWF No Mercy where everyone was on screen at once."
Yeah. Couch multiplayer with fighting games or anything else of that nature are fine. But when it comes to split-screen games... ugh. At least some games have started taking advantage of widescreen televisions and have started splitting the TV vertically rather than horizontally.
tensionhead17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tensionhead17

Remembering all of the Tekken 3 and Worms: Armageddon  marathons I used to have brings a nostalgic tear to my eye.

*sniffle*

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vaultboy

It's not just the couch console gaming I miss, I also miss having a friend bring over their PC and going null modem.  It made games like C&C and Warcraft much more enjoyable.  LAN parties were really fun too.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Linkyshinks

Not me, I still play many consoles with friends, on the sofa.   The Saturn and Dreamcast, and the Neo Geo, demand that you play that way. Retro consoles do .

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#44  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Although I play a lot of games online, I still play a fair amount with family and friends.  Although split-screen is on a bit of a decline, games like Halo 3 still give me my fix.