If 5k people subscribe- Bombcast reunites

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Rebirth1337

Rebel and don't hit 5k. I've already unsubscribed so I couldn't care less.

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By DeadPan
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
" If you're just fucking with us, then nobody is laughing. "
At this point, anyone seriously thinking they're joking about the Bombcast thing is deluding themselves.  They've talked about it on the special Bombcast and on the BLLSH.  They're not kidding about doing this and they justify their reasons somewhat well on that Bombcast. "
BECAUSE 8 MAN HOURS IS TOO MUCH!111

Its there job though....

Hmmmm...
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#53  Edited By damnboyadvance
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
At this point, anyone seriously thinking they're joking about the Bombcast thing is deluding themselves.  They've talked about it on the special Bombcast and on the BLLSH.  They're not kidding about doing this and they justify their reasons somewhat well on that Bombcast. "
I've yet to listen to the Bombcast. What exactly did they say regarding their reasons?
DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By DeadPan
@damnboyadvance said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

" @damnboyadvance said:
I've yet to listen to the Bombcast. What exactly did they say regarding their reasons? "
Because they could never advertise it properly or some bullshit, and its takes 8 MAN HOURS!!~~ to put together. Basically a load of bullshit to justify a stupid decision
Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Vital

To be honest.. Me and a few friends come on here for the bombcast only, now I know that 3 or so people will not make a difference on this site, but we probably will not be returning. I mean, you guys promised you would never split the userbase, yet this is exactly what you will be doing with this.

ajn19103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ajn19103
@SpikeSpiegel:  haha, im right there with you buddy. Some people don't understand that people do need to make some money from time to time.
Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Flaboere

I always thought the site would start chargin money sooner or later, it's only logical to me, as the whole thing grows. I'm seriously considering signing up, to support the site, and get the podcast. However, I think it was a wrong move, saying the podcast would become as it was before (as I understood it), especially so soon. I'm guessing a lot of the people who signed up did so partially or mostly because of the podcast, and so it sucks for them making it free, just after they payed for it.

userX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By userX
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" I kind of hope we don't make it to that goal because of all the fucking whiners on these forums.  "
Yep, just write everyone off as a whiner. No valid complaints can be made here.
ajn19103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ajn19103
@damnboyadvance:  Its just like what a lot of people are saying on here. There not taking anything away from you that you didn't already have. If that second half of the bombcast coming a week late bothers you that much, than you obviously enjoy it quite a bit. So just maby it wouldn't be too big of a deal to just lay down $5 to help support this site and the awesome guys running it. Come on bud, $5 cant be to hard to come by, go walk a neighbors dog or something.
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Lunar_Aura
@Flaboere said:
"and so it sucks for them making it free, just after they payed for it. "

Er, no. Some people signed up because they wanted it to stay free for the free users. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if MOST people signed up for this reason.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Animasta

just so everyone knows, they announced the bombcast thing before anyone COULD pay.

Just sayin

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By fresh2deafbill
@captain_clayman said:
"  all i want is bombcast on day one.  waiting a week for a podcast is a waste, because then it's old news. "
THIS
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By Vinny_Says

Yo where gonna split the number one thing across all our websites, oh wait you guys don't like that? Alright well make it like it was before, but only if you pay up...

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MrKlorox

I fell for the trick. Gonna give it a one month trial in hopes of it becoming free immediately for the rest. Also I can't say a sub isn't worth it if I don't get to even see the "inside".

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By DrPockets000

It's amazing how everyone loves Giant Bomb and as soon as they ask for support hundreds of folks grab their pitchforks (bitchforks?)  and start screaming. 

EDIT: and for the last fucking time, GB said the news will STAY in the free-for-everyone half.  So it's not old news when you hear the second half the next week, it's just another hour of irrelevant chatting.

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DeadPan
@Radiohead said:
" @damnboyadvance:  Its just like what a lot of people are saying on here. There not taking anything away from you that you didn't already have. If that second half of the bombcast coming a week late bothers you that much, than you obviously enjoy it quite a bit. So just maby it wouldn't be too big of a deal to just lay down $5 to help support this site and the awesome guys running it. Come on bud, $5 cant be to hard to come by, go walk a neighbors dog or something. "
They get paid by Whiskey Media, they don't need supporting because this is there job, and as part of there job they are obliged to ill there site with content
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#67  Edited By Siphillis

$5 vs. 8 man hours.  It's the battle of the bitches.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#68  Edited By The_Philosopher
@EpicSteve said:
" That's weird considering some people signed up to get the Bombcast. "
Exactly what I was thinking, that's the main reason I signed up.
SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SonicFire

Geez people, legitimate concern will turn in to crotchety nonsense after awhile. Basically, they're doing this because it would meet (or likely exceed) their expectations for initial funding using subscriptions. It'd be amazing if this site could run entirely on the basis of user subscription. I don't like the weird split bombcast, but I'm happy to give what little money I have to a site that's really been good to me.

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DeadPan
@Siphillis said:
" $5 vs. 8 man hours.  It's the battle of the bitches. "
Ive never heard such bullshit in my life when they came out with the 8 man hours crap...
zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By zidane_24
@fresh2deafbill said:

" @captain_clayman said:

"  all i want is bombcast on day one.  waiting a week for a podcast is a waste, because then it's old news. "
THIS "
They've said that they're frontloading the Bombcast with all of the time-sensitive stuff. I assume the second half will be mostly stuff like emails and DSi/Wii shovelware. Y'know, funny stuff that can be enjoyed anytime. 
Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Flaboere
@The_Philosopher said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" That's weird considering some people signed up to get the Bombcast. "
Exactly what I was thinking, that's the main reason I signed up. "
That's what I'm saying! Sign up to get the full podcast, only to find out, within a day, that you don't need to sign up to get it after all. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. The ONLY reason I signed up is to pitch in to the drive to 5000 so everyone else can get the whole thing for free on day one.

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By JoRoNimo
@DrPockets000 said:
" It's amazing how everyone loves Giant Bomb and as soon as they ask for support hundreds of folks grab their pitchforks (bitchforks?)  and start screaming.  EDIT: and for the last fucking time, GB said the news will STAY in the free-for-everyone half.  So it's not old news when you hear the second half the next week, it's just another hour of irrelevant chatting. "
Yup. What he said.
BluntTheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By BluntTheKing

Pretty sure he said the bombcast would be free for everyone, just the subscribers got the whole show in one week while unsubscribers get half of the show one week and the other half the next.

jeremy.hasse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By jeremy.hasse

reuintes.. lol

it's not like it's going away you dumbasses

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Shadow

I'm not subscribing and while I hope there are 5k people who do, I really don't care all that much.  Breaking up the bombcast just means I will get smaller portions twice as often.  I'm totally uninterested in the other exclusive features as well and while I do want the T-shirt, it's not worth $50.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#78  Edited By nrain

I'm really not a fan of the bombcast split up, but well I want my two hours all in one and also just want to support the dudes who give me so much entertainment.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Mourne
@DeadPan said:
"They get paid by Whiskey Media, they don't need supporting because this is therejob, and as part of therejob they are obliged to [f]ill there site with content "
I hate to do this, but... Dude, it's "their". "Their" is used for signifying possession ("Their job"). An example of properly using "there" would be in the sentence, "There is a live show being presented on Giant Bomb today." As an aside, "they're" is a contraction. Read it as "they are" and make sure it sounds right before including it (this is a preemptive mention based on the above post).

This is not a means of generating money specifically for Ryan, Jeff, Vinny, and Brad. This is to make sure that the money that pays their salaries from Whiskey Media is there so that they may freely do what they have always done, because if you haven't looked around, this site really doesn't have shameless advertisement support. They said they want to be supported directly by their userbase instead of having to chase clickbacks and appease advertisers by putting up certain content.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By august
@DeadPan said:

" @Radiohead said:

" @damnboyadvance:  Its just like what a lot of people are saying on here. There not taking anything away from you that you didn't already have. If that second half of the bombcast coming a week late bothers you that much, than you obviously enjoy it quite a bit. So just maby it wouldn't be too big of a deal to just lay down $5 to help support this site and the awesome guys running it. Come on bud, $5 cant be to hard to come by, go walk a neighbors dog or something. "
They get paid by Whiskey Media, they don't need supporting because this is there job, and as part of there job they are obliged to ill there site with content "

What's that? You're an angry teenager who has no idea how business investment works?

Fascinating! I look forward to more of your acute insight!
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Fallen189

I find it kind of strange that this is such a stringent deadline with no paypal support, meaning it's going to be very hard to accomplish

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

They said a little over an hour ago that they may reach 5,000 overnight if people keep subscribing as fast as they are.

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By JoRoNimo
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" I kind of hope we don't make it to that goal because of all the fucking whiners on these forums.  "
I honestly agree with you on this. All that backlash from yesterday annoyed the hell out of me.
DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DeadPan
@august said:

" @DeadPan said:

" @Radiohead said:

They get paid by Whiskey Media, they don't need supporting because this is there job, and as part of there job they are obliged to ill there site with content "

What's that? You're an angry teenager who has no idea how business investment works?  Fascinating! I look forward to more of your acute insight! "
 Aww that cute :D

Investment?

We will see what they do in 6 months with that money. After all i remember a much hyped iphone app that fell flat.... 

Seems to me they need to come begging to their community because no advertisers will come near them. But belive their story all you want :D
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Siphillis
@DeadPan said:
" @Siphillis said:
Ive never heard such bullshit in my life when they came out with the 8 man hours crap... "
Really?  Not the BP oil spill?  WMDs in Iraq?  Gerstmann-gate unrelated to Kane and Lynch score?
DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By DeadPan
@Siphillis said:
" @DeadPan said:
" @Siphillis said:
Ive never heard such bullshit in my life when they came out with the 8 man hours crap... "
Really?  Not the BP oil spill?  WMDs in Iraq?  Gerstmann-gate unrelated to Kane and Lynch score? "
:D

You have made a very tired man chuckle after a loooong 15 hour shift

WMDs in Iraq just takes it
theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#87  Edited By theveej
@DeadPan:

imagine yourself having these guys job. there are 4 of you working on content such as reveiws, news, videos, interveiws, quick looks etc.... now each tuesday for 8 man hour you are essentially summarizing everything you are going to do or have done for the week. this 8 man hour actually in reality is not adding any real new content, they can not advertise through it; and it cost them a shit load of money because of bandwith. Still these guys have done the bombcast for 2+ year only because the community enjoys it and frankly they enjoy it.  You going to the bombcast page and listening to it just cost them money, and there is zero way they can make money of this.

The bombcast is by far the most popular feature and probably the most costly, it is only logical that it will be the thing that will carry this subscription model. And its not like you are losing anything if you dont sign up, in a 7 day period you be able to listen to the bombcast.....

now before bitching about the bombcast put yourself in their position... what would you do? Lose money indefinetly and have your site stagnate in the middle of the pack; or charge for your most premium content knowing that is the only logical source of income for your website, and really the only way you be able to continue to do what your are doing. 

I say it right here, fuck the 5000 subscription bullshit, they should charge for the second hour anyway..... Make the money, so you can provide better content in the long run.  The bombcast is the best way for these guys to start making some real income and to support this website
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Jams

I don't even know what's going on, but I subscribed as fast as I could as a thanks for entertaining me for the last year and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By DeadPan
@theveej said:
" @DeadPan:  imagine yourself having these guys job. there are 4 of you working on content such as reveiws, news, videos, interveiws, quick looks etc.... now each tuesday for 8 man hour you are essentially summarizing everything you are going to do or have done for the week. this 8 man hour actually in reality is not adding any real new content, they can not advertise through it; and it cost them a shit load of money because of bandwith. Still these guys have done the bombcast for 2+ year only because the community enjoys it and frankly they enjoy it.  You going to the bombcast page and listening to it just cost them money, and there is zero way they can make money of this.  The bombcast is by far the most popular feature and probably the most costly, it is only logical that it will be the thing that will carry this subscription model. And its not like you are losing anything if you dont sign up, in a 7 day period you be able to listen to the bombcast.....  now before bitching about the bombcast put yourself in their position... what would you do? Lose money indefinetly and have your site stagnate in the middle of the pack; or charge for your most premium content knowing that is the only logical source of income for your website, and really the only way you be able to continue to do what your are doing.   I say it right here, fuck the 5000 subscription bullshit, they should charge for the second hour anyway..... Make the money, so you can provide better content in the long run.  The bombcast is the best way for these guys to start making some real income and to support this website "
You are not paying 50 quid for "premium" content. Because the rest of the stuff they added for that money should have been in the site already. You are paying for the extra hour to the bombcast if you break it down.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Siphillis

A simpler fix would be advertising during the hour-break - which is valuable since it is permanent and everyone will listen to it - with a seperate (higher quality) download for subscribers.  I understand the difficulty in gauging the amount of viewers per week, but a simple poll could rectify that.  And regardless, basic estimates tell us that over 100000 people listen each week.  Hell, if you guys want people to pay, throw in a camera for video podcasting.  We eat that shit up!  And you can perfectly graph how popular the feature is.

It would also be fun if publishers would pay Jeff to read game descriptions for other downloadable games. 

Come to think of it, these are both better ideas than splitting the bombcast.  Snide?

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

The amount of stupidity in this thread is astounding. People should really stop replying to those of low intelligence like DeadPan; it's a waste of time.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Siphillis
@DeadPan said:
" @theveej said:
" @DeadPan:  imagine yourself having these guys job. there are 4 of you working on content such as reveiws, news, videos, interveiws, quick looks etc.... now each tuesday for 8 man hour you are essentially summarizing everything you are going to do or have done for the week. this 8 man hour actually in reality is not adding any real new content, they can not advertise through it; and it cost them a shit load of money because of bandwith. Still these guys have done the bombcast for 2+ year only because the community enjoys it and frankly they enjoy it.  You going to the bombcast page and listening to it just cost them money, and there is zero way they can make money of this.  The bombcast is by far the most popular feature and probably the most costly, it is only logical that it will be the thing that will carry this subscription model. And its not like you are losing anything if you dont sign up, in a 7 day period you be able to listen to the bombcast.....  now before bitching about the bombcast put yourself in their position... what would you do? Lose money indefinetly and have your site stagnate in the middle of the pack; or charge for your most premium content knowing that is the only logical source of income for your website, and really the only way you be able to continue to do what your are doing.   I say it right here, fuck the 5000 subscription bullshit, they should charge for the second hour anyway..... Make the money, so you can provide better content in the long run.  The bombcast is the best way for these guys to start making some real income and to support this website "
You are not paying 50 quid for "premium" content. Because the rest of the stuff they added for that money should have been in the site already. You are paying for the extra hour to the bombcast if you break it down. "
Rather, you're paying for something that was previously provided for free, rather than something new.  I personally think there should be two podcasts recorded at opposite ends of the week, shorter in length, with each show a day delayed.  A week is too long.
NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By NoDeath

I've subbed almost exclusively so they don't touch the bombcast (hence the monthly). I really think they shouldn't mess with it.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Jothel

Just pay for a month, support the website you fucks, seriously how people can be complaining about this is just bollocks

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NoDeath said:
" I've subbed almost exclusively so they don't touch the bombcast. "
This.
mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#97  Edited By mau64

The thing that confuses me a little bit about all of this is that they are complaining about losing man hours to the podcast, yet they are starting up another show exclusive to subscribers... which is just even more man hours. Honestly, they should have just threw up a donate button and paid some intern to help send out merchandise when they get orders. People like Leo Laporte survives on donations like a $2 a month or something like that. I got my yearly for the fact to only help them out. They don't justify $50 on content alone, it all comes down to helping Giantbomb and Whiskey Media as a whole.

yami4ct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#98  Edited By yami4ct

I'm a college student and payed the $50. I have limited funds like everyone else so, yes, this means I'll have to give up a game to do it, but I support these guys and all they do. I will use all the features they're offering and the T-Shirt is worth at least $20 to me. That means I have to justify $30.  For what they're offering, and the promise of more, as well as the ability to keep it going I'll be fine with it. I wanted to subscribe anyway, but I've done it on Day 1 because I want to help out the people upset about the change who can't afford to drop the cash. If you can afford it and aren't doing it out of some hissy fit,  I have no respect. Does it suck they'd have to split it up? Yes. Is it some crime against humanity? Is the community entitled to it? Hell no. This is a lot of work for these guys and I'm surprised they've been able to keep it up thus far. They are charging for things other sites offer for free, but the way I see it, I'd rather have the part of the community that can support it pay than having them ruin the website with obtrusive ads or other sponsored content. Seriously, having gaming ads all over the site is just one step a way from the Gamestop debacle. I'd rather pay than see these guys lose their objectivity and style. 

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By theveej
@Siphillis said:
" A simpler fix would be advertising during the hour-break - which is valuable since it is permanent and everyone will listen to it - with a seperate (higher quality) download for subscribers.  I understand the difficulty in gauging the amount of viewers per week, but a simple poll could rectify that.  And regardless, basic estimates tell us that over 100000 people listen each week.  Hell, if you guys want people to pay, throw in a camera for video podcasting.  We eat that shit up!  And you can perfectly graph how popular the feature is. It would also be fun if publishers would pay Jeff to read game descriptions for other downloadable games.  Come to think of it, these are both better ideas than splitting the bombcast.  Snide? "
The whole thing is that advertising during podcast is utterly useless financially. People simply don't like to pay people to advertise during podcast, it is really useless. (the only viable option for advertisement during podcast would be if they were doing it live or in essence live internet radio) And you definitely dont want publsihers paying jeff to read game description that goes against their moral code and the whole independent thing. A second bombcast or video would be a great call though for content for subscribers. 

Do it up, jeff said he just got a webcam, they should use that for bombcast.... I watched the PAX bombcast on video and it was the shit.
defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By defaulttag

where can i see the progress of paid memberships? I want to see how many more users need to subscribe.