I'll Sue You!!!!. Gamestop

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By TheHBK

So someone is stepping up to take on Gamestop. Now while most of us will know that a game has a one-time code for DLC, lots of gamers dont follow Giant Bomb or other sites so closely. I know my friends don't. So when Gamestop is selling you a game for 5 bucks off new but not telling you that the full game has an extra 15 bucks worth in it, well then, that is just plain fucking rude.  Me, personally I dont mind not getting certain DLC, like in this game, its already so big, I dont need more.  Unless I really liked it.  If Oblivion had come with free DLC and I got a used copy that didn't have it, I would be fucking pissed.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/GameStop-BioWare-Game-Lawsuit-DLC,news-6270.html 

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By raiz265

what game?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Shadow

That's...actually a valid thing t be pissed off about.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@raiz265 said:
" what game? "
Dragon age..it took him a few weeks to figure out he would not get the DLC. Chances are he will not win. 
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Daryl
@TheHBK: I think the real question is will the streak be broken this Sunday?
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By EpicSteve

If it was marked down, then Gamestop is in the right. If I'm buying anything new that is cheaper than the norm, I'm going to ask about it. Also, if you buy used of course you wont get DLC! The whole point of put of the box DLC is to deter gamers from buying used. It's not illegal to overcharge, and be an asshole.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@EpicSteve said:
" If it was marked down, then Gamestop is in the right. If I'm buying anything new that is cheaper than the norm, I'm going to ask about it. Also, if you buy used of course you wont get DLC! The whole point of put of the box DLC is to deter gamers from buying used. "
I like how it took him a couple of weeks to figure it out. 
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EpicSteve
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" If it was marked down, then Gamestop is in the right. If I'm buying anything new that is cheaper than the norm, I'm going to ask about it. Also, if you buy used of course you wont get DLC! The whole point of put of the box DLC is to deter gamers from buying used. "
I like how it took him a couple of weeks to figure it out.  "
I'm assuming he just didn't know about the perk and somebody told him.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@EpicSteve said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @EpicSteve said:

I'm assuming he just didn't know about the perk and somebody told him. "
But he claims he bought the game BECAUSE of the DLC.  

He bought the game based on the advertisement on the box promising free downloadable content.    

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EpicSteve
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @EpicSteve said:

" @EpicSteve said:

He bought the game based on the advertisement on the box promising free downloadable content.    

"
True. Hmmm. He probably has some dumbass friend/family member that told him he could totally sue. Either way, I don't think he has a case. He should have found out day fucking one, then returned it. It's called customer awareness, this guy is an idiot. As much as I hate Gamestop, they aren't wrong in this case
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@EpicSteve said:

" @EpicSteve said:

" @EpicSteve said:

"
True. Hmmm. He probably has some dumbass friend/family member that told him he could totally sue. Either way, I don't think he has a case. He should have found out day fucking one, then returned it. It's called customer awareness, this guy is an idiot. As much as I hate Gamestop, they aren't wrong in this case "
Like I said its gonna be tossed out of court. A few weeks to realize the DLC you BOUGHT the game for does not work...right.... 

And to just let people know. MY game stop does tell me stuff like this. 
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By apathylad

Eh...I think Gamestop is in the right here, since it's a given that used games and movies might not come with everything a new copy does. However, opening up new copies of games and charging full price for them is much shadier. Especially since some stores allow employees to borrow games from their stock.

...That reminds me. Does anyone remember Call of Duty 4: Game of the Year edition? When it was released it came with codes of the Variety Map pack, but this was only temporary. My friend bought the game new much later and it was not included, which is really shifty since most consumers will believe that DLC is included. I mean, all copies of Oblivion: GOTY still come with the expansions, could you imagine what it would be like if they did not?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheHBK
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @EpicSteve said:
I think the point of the lawsuit is that it wasn't marked down and that Gamestop needs to make more of effort to let people know this.  Imagine if you bought a used car and the dealer said it was a better deal than the new one.  It has only a few miles on it bro!  But they don't bother to tell you that the cool rims that come standard, were replaced with some cheap pieces of shit.
As for it taking him long to figure out he couldn't get the DLC, thats not unsual.  I still havent redeemed my free COD game, which I wonder if that expires...  With a game like Dragon Age, with so much stuff in it, DLC is not gonna be a concern right off the bat.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@TheHBK said:
" @EpicSteve said:
I think the point of the lawsuit is that it wasn't marked down and that Gamestop needs to make more of effort to let people know this.  Imagine if you bought a used car and the dealer said it was a better deal than the new one.  It has only a few miles on it bro!  But they don't bother to tell you that the cool rims that come standard, were replaced with some cheap pieces of shit. As for it taking him long to figure out he couldn't get the DLC, thats not unsual.  I still havent redeemed my free COD game, which I wonder if that expires...  With a game like Dragon Age, with so much stuff in it, DLC is not gonna be a concern right off the bat. "
You do not buy a used game and expect that it has the DLC still. Used gamestop games have a big USED yellow sticker right on them. Gamestop is not at fault here and it will get tossed out of court. 
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Belonpopo

These type of threads bug me.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

as a gamer i kind of thought that is was already known. as a casual person that does not buy games i can see them thinking it comes with DLC like game of the year editions. i kind of hope that the guy wins just because i hate gamestop and their polices.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ravenousrattler

it would be the nice thing to do to tell people about it, but a lawsuit is taking it way to far

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't know how to feel about this.
When I purchase things, used or new, I feel the responsibility is mine to do the proper research, not the clerk's.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster
@EpicSteve said:
" If it was marked down, then Gamestop is in the right. If I'm buying anything new that is cheaper than the norm, I'm going to ask about it. Also, if you buy used of course you wont get DLC! The whole point of put of the box DLC is to deter gamers from buying used. It's not illegal to overcharge, and be an asshole. "
Yeah this battle isn't going to go very far.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By damnboyadvance

I would be just as pissed off as the next guy if this happened to me, but I'm not sure that it's actually illegal. I mean, if they advertised that the used game came with free DLC, then that would be false advertising, which I'm sure would be illegal. Other than that, I'm not sure about his legal options.

FrankTheGank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FrankTheGank

This won't make it to anything promising for the guy just a waste of time.  Every person who works in any kind of store can't know everything about every game and every little thing about it.  When I buy a game I read reviews and perks for new or used games.  Bought both Dragon Age new and Mass effect because they both came with DLC when bought new.  Had there not been any of that would of waited for the used and saved extra with my discount card.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By penguindust

Yeah, but free content if you buy the game new might become a trend and if it does, I think that Gamestop should have a sticker on their cases which state that DLC may cost extra.  It isn't a huge thing for Gamestop to print up a sticker like that and put it on the boxes of games where it is pertinent.  If they are willing to spend all that time advertising "Only from Gamestop Exclusive DLC" then they should make it clear to the uninformed (which is more than we might suspect) if the posted "free" DLC will actually cost something to access.  And suing Gamestop is the only way to make them change their policy.  If he just wrote a stern letter to The Times, nothing would get done, but this way it gets lots of publicity and that embarrassment might compel the retailer to notify customers that the advertised free DLC might cost the player something since the game is used.  But, that might make the consumer just go and buy it new which would mean less profit for Gamestop.   The company wants to do everything is can to get people to buy their used games because that makes the most money for them.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JoelTGM

Of course Gamestop would do that.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Well the guy is not gonna win. Gamestop is not at fault It is stupid to buy a USED game and expect DLC. Even if you are not a gamer. Then take a few weeks to realize it does not work...

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By sjschmidt93

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chrissedoff

interestingly enough, i was in a gamestop just 2 weeks ago, and mass effect 2 was selling for $40 used. i remember thinking to myself how strange that was, considering the game was only a few weeks old, but maybe now i have my explanation.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@chrissedoff said:
" interestingly enough, i was in a gamestop just 2 weeks ago, and mass effect 2 was selling for $40 used. i remember thinking to myself how strange that was, considering the game was only a few weeks old, but maybe now i have my explanation. "
Gamestop is having a sale on mass effect 2. 20 dollars off. 
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ch13696

I'm on both sides for this one. Yes, he payed $5 less than all of us, but technically for the DLC he's paying full price. Then again, he did have 7 days to return it and get the new copy. Everytime I go to Gamestop, along with the crap feedback, they also mention that we have 7 days to return it if we don't like it. It literally says that on the receipt.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @EpicSteve said:

" @EpicSteve said:

"
Crackdown boxes continued to have the "Includes Halo 3: Beta" sticker on them after the Beta was done with, and they did not get sued. GameStop was in the right here.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fwylo

Gamestop is ridiculous.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@fwylo said:
" Gamestop is ridiculous. "
They did nothing here. The guy was a moron. 
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fwylo
@The_Laughing_Man:  I didn't say in this case only.  All my experiences with Gamestop and EB Games have been terrible.  And the guy was not a moron.  He isn't an expert in the way used and new games work.  Gamestop clearly knows this, and if they were a customer service based place instead of a profit based they would tell people this, or at least lower their used game price to the point where it was worth it.  As a business you have to assume that all customers walking into your store know jack shit about what they are buying.  Sure randomly you get a customer that is  GB member and knows exactly what they want but assuming everyone knows everything about the used game industry is fucking ignorant.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By raviolisumo

It says on the back of the box that the DLC is only available to the original purchaser.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Why be pissed at gamestop? I never buy anything there anyway. They're overpriced.  Stay away from 
brick & mortar franchises.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By landon

I still cant get over him buying it used. If it was 5 dollars off, he should have just gotten it new.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By trophyhunter

that is the dumbest lawsuit I've heard of since the  "fast food is unhealthy and I didn't know" lawsuit

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@trophyhunter said:
" that is the dumbest lawsuit I've heard of since the  "fast food is unhealthy and I didn't know" lawsuit "
No..the "Hot coffee on the womens lap" One is the dumbest ive heard. 
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By trophyhunter
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" that is the dumbest lawsuit I've heard of since the  "fast food is unhealthy and I didn't know" lawsuit "
No..the "Hot coffee on the womens lap" One is the dumbest ive heard.  "
or the don't eat legos lawsuit
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@trophyhunter said:
" @trophyhunter said:
or the don't eat legos lawsuit "
I never saw that one. Google ho! 
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By trophyhunter
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @trophyhunter said:
or the don't eat legos lawsuit "
I never saw that one. Google ho!  "
yeah like 15 years ago an adult ate a lego almost choked to death. Then sued them but didn't win thankfully