Ineresting 'Games as Art' game

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NoDeath

Some of you may have already seen this but the game is 'Gray', and it was front paged over on Newgrounds a couple of days ago. the author clams its "an experiment to see if we could express this little idea solely through gameplay". Go play it, it only takes about 10 minutes to beat so post what you think. Is it just a pile of pretentious rubbish, or something new and interesting?

Personally I think they did an excellent job on the artwork and the atmosphere. The grayscale, static and distant sound of voices do a good job of communicating its message, but like a lot of similar games, the act of playing it just isn't very interesting. The one lone mechanic of talking with members of the crowd is simple and unchallenging. It gets old after a only a few minutes and the games repetitive nature almost led me to believe that it was simply an infinite loop so that by the end it was barely holding my interest.

EDIT: Crap, I misspelled the topic title, obviously its meant to say 'interesting'

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

Just finished playing it.  It is very intriguing.  One of the comments was pretty eye opening, too.

"People choose to believe what they want. By interacting with them, you convince them to believe something else. After you switch back and forth, possibly because you decide to believe in something different yourself, people may no longer want to listen to or believe what you say, as you yourself have no defined state of opinion and are just as fickle as anyone else."

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By NoDeath
SoulEdgeSlayer said:
"Just finished playing it.  It is very intriguing.  One of the comments was pretty eye opening, too.

"People choose to believe what they want. By interacting with them, you convince them to believe something else. After you switch back and forth, possibly because you decide to believe in something different yourself, people may no longer want to listen to or believe what you say, as you yourself have no defined state of opinion and are just as fickle as anyone else."
"
Yeah, I read that one, I was thinking more in the line of this one:

People that live at extremes in life. Thinking that there is black and white in the world. Good and bad. They're always fighting it out, and your just one of many. In the end the protagonist Decides that life is a series of shades of greys, no right or wrong. But although he tries he can't actually get his point across, he can't convert people to his side. So he's lost in the middle, knocked around.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

I still don't think it's much of a case, and I'm not saying games are not art, but I believe you could read something like that into alot of games, that person's just simplified it down.

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By McPaper

As said many a times, its all down to what one defines as art. I see games as a method of entertainment but of course art could also be classed to something which brings across a message or meaning implecetly like in any old film or book. From what I played from Gray I got a similar sort of impression. Im sure there are other games which portray such a message as I believe art doesnt have to be ever so minimalist.

LazerLuger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LazerLuger

A very interesting game, I wouldn't say it's pretentious (It's not trying to be anything other than what it is). Actually got me thinking about idealism and revolution.

Dragonbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dragonbyte

very interesting, addictive, and thought provoking game. had to stop for a moment to think of all the things it was trying to say.