Is telling a fellow gamer, "you didn't get it," taboo?

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Daouzin

I just had a "friend" I've known for like 3 years, remove me from facebook because I ragged on his opinion of Final Fantasy XIII. His impressions listed things that weren't true about the game so I made a comment that I didn't think was particularly snide suggesting he, "didn't get it." I wasn't correcting his impressions that were opinions, but simply the impressions that were  false. He for example didn't get the star rankings that appeared at the end of every battle and called the rankings, "arbitrary," so I explained that they were time related and time allowed per enemy was different depending on the enemy type. After he demonstrated his frustrations I tried to alleviate the pain I caused him by explaining myself. I said, "you didn't get it," because of these things that you said that are simply untrue, and so on. I listed a few and explained why those things were wrong and that I didn't think said knowledge would recolor his opinion of the over all experience, but that perhaps it could. 

Anyway, he set me this in response after removing me as a friend: Have fun on your high horse buddy. All of your shit is arbitary, and again, I know how the system works. If you think you gleaned that much more than anyone else you have a huge fucking ego. Eat a dick

To be fair, I didn't know him that well, we just met up through a mutual friend fairly often. a few years back.  If I could I'd copy and paste the dialog to see If maybe I was being snarky and just didn't notice, but this has confused and horrified me. Has this happened to other people? Are some gamers this sensitive? I really didn't think I was being rude, I just enjoyed the game well enough and figured I'd explain the stuff he thought was arbitrary. 

Hell the first time i played Bioshock I was disoriented and hated the game. Then I went and played some FPSs cause I hadn't really played very many and gave the game another shot. It's now one of my favorite games.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By damodar

Perhaps your wording could have been more eloquent, but the reaction sounds a bit unnecessary.

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Daouzin
@Damodar: apparently, but god damn. I feel insane right now which is probably why I bothered to post this. 
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Three0neFive

No, I think your friend is just a stubborn ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Once again we see that the internet is not the best place to try and change people's minds.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ryoma122

@Daouzin:  well i got some bad news for your friend some times the truth hurts 
                       he is clearly over reacting considering he doesnt under stand th system the game 
                       uses witch for some reason is starting to piss me off lol

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Doesn't sound like much of a friend.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm not here to offend but it sounds like your friend was being rather immature. Maybe he was just upset that you questioned his opinions.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like an idiot to me, better stay away before you catch something

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Evilsbane
@Daouzin: Doesn't sound like to big a loss, let him go wallow in self pity.
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bravetoaster

Friends come and go. He took what you said the wrong way, but he's just going to have to deal with that.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meltac

Anyone who says 'Eat a dick', is cool in my book.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheChaos
@Axxol said:
"

Friends come and go. He took what you said the wrong way, but he's just going to have to deal with that.

"

No Caption Provided
Indeed.
Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Daouzin

It's good to see that this obviously isn't common. Man, my world got flipped for a second.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain

People have different opinions. My opinion? There was nothing to 'get' about that piece of shit. Does that stop you, most of my friends or anybody else in the world enjoying it? Heeeellll no :D People don't have to agree on every tiny little detail in life and if he's gonna get that upset about it you don't want that guy as a friend in the first place.

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By theduke

this guy doesn't seem to be wrong

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Ace829

It isn't taboo, your friend just got his panties in a twist and overreacted.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DrPockets000

Man, does your friend get butthurt much?

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By demontium
@Daouzin: Yup, a lot of my friends get like this when I told them what I really think about certain games. 

None of them have removed me from facebook, but they all think that not liking a game is mean. 

No it isn't, games are a matter of opinion. 

You should be glad to be rid of this friend.
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By swamplord666

he seems to have overreacted but one thing I have learnt from many confrontations is sometimes to let it go. The reward from actually proving him wrong and knowing you were right is too minute to lose a "friend" over and you save yourself from being insulted.  
I don't know about you but no matter who it is, I'm always at least a little hurt in knowing someone wants to avoid me, doesn't like me, etc. Thank god it's only happened with people I really don't care about! 
Edit: Although I still use it, this only reinforces my belief that facebook is more useless and evil than useful. Arguments like these happen way too often. Look at lamebook.com  and you'll see why...

Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sh4ft3d

It's not "taboo" at all. I'll admit it, I may feel offended or insulted to some degree if someone tells me that, but I take an ego check and tell myself that not everyone views things the same way. Even if it bugs me, I get over it.